Prospect Info: Rutger McGroarty, 2022 NHL Draft, #14 Overall

jimsabo21

Jul 2, 2011
People have to remember this is a *redo* of the 2022 World Juniors meaning all 2002's are still eligible to play and McGroarty is a 2004 born. He's competing against top players up to two years older. For context, the 2002s was Cole Perfetti's draft year and all those 20 year olds are still eligible to play.

It's quite rare for any 17 year old to make a World Junior roster (for example, neither Perfetti nor Lucius played on in the World Juniors until *after* they were drafted. I know this WJHC is *technically* after McGroarty was drafted, but it's actually BEFORE he was drafted (since it was SUPPOSED to have taken place last January).

Typically, a highly touted prospect will play World Juniors after they've been drafted. That will be the Christmas tournament spilling into 2023. He'll also be eligible again to play the following year in the 2024 WJHC.

All to say, this is completely normal and par for the course.

nobody imp0rtant

Registered pessimist
May 23, 2018
People have to remember this is a *redo* of the 2022 World Juniors meaning all 2002's are still eligible to play and McGroarty is a 2004 born. He's competing against top players up to two years older. For context, the 2002s was Cole Perfetti's draft year and all those 20 year olds are still eligible to play.

It's quite rare for any 17 year old to make a World Junior roster (for example, neither Perfetti nor Lucius played on in the World Juniors until *after* they were drafted. I know this WJHC is *technically* after McGroarty was drafted, but it's actually BEFORE he was drafted (since it was SUPPOSED to have taken place last January).

Typically, a highly touted prospect will play World Juniors after they've been drafted. That will be the Christmas tournament spilling into 2023. He'll also be eligible again to play the following year in the 2024 WJHC.

Still want to see Team USA get their asses kicked. :nod:

Thechozen1

Sep 8, 2021

Totally get that, but Team USA’s been known for conspicuously leaving good players off their WJC team.

And while it is valid that McGroarty is likely a lock for the team in December I will just point out that one of their final 15 forwards for this upcoming tournament is Charlie Stramel, a 2023 draft eligible player.

Channelcat

Unhinged user
Feb 8, 2013
Canada
Aside from Cooley, Nazar and Dominic James (Chi 6th rounder) no other highly touted American from this past draft made the team.

No Gauthier, McGroarty, Snuggerud, Howard, Chesley, Casey, Hutson.

As said above, I hope they lose and don’t get a medal.
I wonder what's going on there. On this surface, this is bizarre.

CorgisPer60

Barking at the net
Apr 15, 2012
Please Understand
USA Hockey is weird. I'm not surprised that so many 2022 draft picks didn't make this WJC in August, because I doubt they all would have made the 2022 team in their D season. How many of the WJC 2022 players aren't playing with the team right now?

Guardian17

Strong & Free
Aug 29, 2010
Winnipeg

voyageur

Hockey fanatic
Jul 10, 2011
Careful. Omaha is bigger than Winnipeg, they have a bigger arena and... this is the big one... they have white outs.

400px-Creighton_Bluejays_men%27s_basketball_playing_%28Qwest_Center%2C_Omaha%2C_2007%29.jpg

Could be an attractive relocation target for Chipman if the crowds keep dwindling and MM keeps hassling them for not drafting Western Canadians. :nod:
So I was coaching down in Omaha...

Attachments

• joe mc grath.jpg
    joe mc grath.jpg
    2.7 KB · Views: 7

DEANYOUNGBLOOD17

May 10, 2011
If he signs this summer….. he can be placed in the AHL on ELC contract all year and have it slide still leaving him on a 3 year ELC for 2024/25.

He’s better off playing another year at Michigan and playing on the uS WJC team over Xmas break.

Michigan is a good program and let his body mature a little more.

He should sign a NHL contract this summer if he is confident about getting NHL time as A 19 year old!

Reactions: AlaskaJet and lanky

10Ducky10

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 5, 2015
Maybe Chevy wanted to sign him and this is his camp's way of saying we want those bonuses that you won't give us?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad