GDT: Russia vs Slovakia

eff4u2

May 24, 2021
Slovaks probably have snowball's chance in Dante's Paradise when the games start but good for them. And justice was served.

flemo

Jan 7, 2010
Just checked the rules for a hand pass, I guess it would qualify then, because it was in the offensive zone. Even though Shalunov's inention was to block, apparently, it's still a 'pass'. Strange, but I guess those are the rules.
I was watching the game on czech tv, they had a quick consultation with their referees. According them it was clearly hand pass. There was intentional hand move against puck and the other was able to get the puck thanks to this.

Chimpradamus

Feb 16, 2006
Northern Sweden
I have to say I throw less criticism towards the Swedish team after this wave of upsets against other "top dogs". This is a very strange tournament and upsets seem to be the norm.

tobu

Jan 10, 2013
Bratislava, Slovakia
I have to say I throw less criticism towards the Swedish team after this wave of upsets against other "top dogs". This is a very strange tournament and upsets seem to be the norm.
I said this on this thread already, you take away top 6 nhl forwards, the differences between the nations get blurry. Slovaks have pretty good depth in Europe now with players in elite leagues. Also the Slovaks have the 2nd youngest team on this tournament with quick skating - the team was pretty well built.

Antiillafire

May 1, 2021
Trnava, Slovakia
I said this on this thread already, you take away top 6 nhl forwards, the differences between the nations get blurry. Slovaks have pretty good depth in Europe now with players in elite leagues. Also the Slovaks have the 2nd youngest team on this tournament with quick skating - the team was pretty well built.
Ramsay also seems to have engrained the system pretty well. We are not allowing teams chances in the slot at all. Limiting shots to the outside for the most part

tobu

Jan 10, 2013
Bratislava, Slovakia
Ramsay also seems to have engrained the system pretty well. We are not allowing teams chances in the slot at all. Limiting shots to the outside for the most part
I agree, tactically the team is well prepared. We are not even sitting deep in our d-zone, the contrary, always 2 players on the forecheck and a lot of won pucks in the middle of the ice.

BigBadBoar

Dec 20, 2017
Pardubice
Congrats to Slovakia. They were playing really well, while Russia was looking a bit unfocused. I missed greater consistency in Russia's game. They had some very good shifts with an intense pressure in their offensive zone, but also mulptiple shifts where they looked even lazy, I would dare to say. Perhaps they underestimated the Slovaks? Some guys of the Slovak team have really surprised me. Especially Bučko, whom I remember from Pardubice as rather an average extraliga defender, was playing really well, without any critical mistakes. Also, Kelemen was very good, a pretty nifty skater.

BlitzSnipe

Dec 28, 2014
Congrats to Slovakia. They were playing really well, while Russia was looking a bit unfocused. I missed greater consistency in Russia's game. They had some very good shifts with an intense pressure in their offensive zone, but also mulptiple shifts where they looked even lazy, I would dare to say. Perhaps they underestimated the Slovaks? Some guys of the Slovak team have really surprised me. Especially Bučko, whom I remember from Pardubice as rather an average extraliga defender, was playing really well, without any critical mistakes. Also, Kelemen was very good, a pretty nifty skater.

The Slovaks weren't giving them much open ice in this game. Strategically, the Slovaks were better prepared.

Eye of Ra

Grandmaster General of the International boards
Nov 15, 2008
Malmö, Sweden

there is a difference.

russia won over czech. losing 1 time to a lesser team happens all the time and finland got a 1 point atleast against borat & svedberg. meanwhile sweden loses 2 games in row against denmark and belarus. what sweden is doing is on whole new level. and to be honest, i dont see us winning over swiss, slovakia and uk. russia, finland and canada wont lose again in this tournament to lesser nations.

Antiillafire

May 1, 2021
Trnava, Slovakia
Bucko to me wasn’t very good today, I’d rather have Nemec there. He had several times where he got the puck at the blue line in offensive zone and gave it away with badly placed passes. But I agree with Kelemen, he brought energy to the forecheck and is not afraid to throw his weight around

BigBadBoar

Dec 20, 2017
Pardubice
The Slovaks weren't giving them much open ice in this game. Strategically, the Slovaks were better prepared.

Yes, exactly. Regarding this guy Bučko, I was quite shocked when I saw him in the lineup against Russia. He had some games in Extraliga where he was looking quite lost even on that level, so I expected a crazy carousel ride for him, with tons of giveaways and positioning mistakes. But not at all. He was able to stay focused through the entire game, keeping his game simple but secure, and was quite physical as well. This only underlines how good the coach Ramsay prepared the Slovak team. They really came with a plan into the game, while Russia appeared to just rely on their individual skill. Which is on a higher level than with most of the Slovak players, no doubt about that. But especially with no absolute superstars like Kucherov, Ovechkin, Panarin ..., even a very skilled team needs to have a plan and play a focused game for 60 mins. Everybody at this tournament knows how to skate and handle the puck in basic situations, nobody will beat anybody with just circling around the zone and passing the puck along the boards. Even with a roster full of NHL stars this would be a tricky strategy. I remember the tournament in Sochi 2014, where even Slovenia with one Kopitar plus a bunch of quite average guys from several European leagues was able to resist the favourites until they realized they need to engage themselves in the game for real. So, but even if your were Ovechkin or Crosby, you'd need to put some real effort into the game against the so called outsiders.

cska78

Nov 27, 2006
USA
www.fc-rostov.ru
I think there is a recipe vs Russia: score first and keep Russian forwards to the boards. Slovaks did both. Russia seemed very unmotivated today, which is typical for Russia after starting a tournament well. It's a good lesson for them, that they hopefully learn. Congrats to Slovakia.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad