Olympics: Russia possibly disqualified from Pyeongchang (UPD: IOC Suspends Team Russia)

Dr Pepper

Dec 9, 2005
Sunny Etobicoke
Huh?

This is what the IOC should have done. It's the correct move.

Russian athletes were involved in a state-led program of doping. Everyone knew about it and willingly engaged, from the government down. This is a fitting punishment.

I just don't agree with a blanket ban, that's all. They're not all doping.

Reactions: Pavel Buchnevich

Murky

Jan 28, 2006
Notice the wording for this: "Russian athletes who can prove they are clean."

In other words the onus will be on the athletes to prove they are clean as opposed to governing bodies to prove that they are not. In other words the Russian athletes are screwed.
It makes complete sense, because the proof - testing done during the training seasons etc. has been proven to be compromised. So, unlike other athletes, there is no reliable proof unless they provide some.

This one is all on the russians. Unfortunately quite a few innocent athletes will suffer as well. As quite a few other innocent athletes have suffered trying to compete against a completely rigged system.

First they should just clean house. I am really surprised Putin hasn't done that, yet. And then just start over with a completely transparent system.

Pi

Nov 16, 2010
Toronto
The KHL will now likely ban their players from going.

Hockey is going to be a **** show. Canada was mostly using KHLers for their roster, now what?

Sweden, Finland, and Switzerland now the likely top 3.

Yep, the only disgrace is FIFA knowing about this and still letting them host the 2018 World Cup.

If anything, shame on the IOC for not acting on this sooner.

BalticWarrior

Apr 28, 2012
Riga
Hopefully this punishment atleast somehow puts Russian goverments systematic doping scheme in some check. Although i doubt it.

TheBeastCoast

Mar 23, 2011
Dartmouth,NS
Yep, the only disgrace is FIFA knowing about this and still letting them host the 2018 World Cup.

If anything, shame on the IOC for not acting on this sooner.
Yeah the only thing about this is it really makes them look bad for letting them in the 2016 olympics.

More 2004

Stamkos Apologist
May 3, 2004
Tampa
Glad OV changed his mind on going no matter what before the season started.. he would be looking bad for nothing right now.

Tom ServoMST3K

In search of a Steinbach Hero
Nov 2, 2010
What's your excuse?
My light reading on this, is that the punishment is heavy, not because of the Doping, which is really bad, but because Russia tampered with samples at an IOC facility.

kp61c

Apr 3, 2012
separate civilization
This is big. Not really sure where to put this but this will effect hockey. Russia won't let foreign KHLers to compete in the Olympics and all clean Russian athletes can compete in the Olympics under a neutral Olympic flag and are given the name "Olympic Athlete from Russia"

neutral flag is inacceptable but will happen and the khl will allow khlers to compete in the olympics. basically putin will cave in to all demands. pathetic.

BayStreetBully

Oct 25, 2007
Toronto
neutral flag is inacceptable but will happen and the khl will allow khlers to compete in the olympics. basically putin will cave in to all demands. pathetic.

Russian cheating is unacceptable. I would have gone one step further and banned all Russian athletes from competing at all. That’s the best deterrent to stop Russia from treating fair play as a joke.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad