Olympics: Russia possibly disqualified from Pyeongchang (UPD: IOC Suspends Team Russia)

naruto

Nov 13, 2017
How is it shame on the Ioc? Ioc is dumb a lot of the times but this is shame on Russia. Cheaters. Smh at russia.

Reactions: bukwas

Fantomas

Aug 7, 2012
Notice the wording for this: "Russian athletes who can prove they are clean."

In other words the onus will be on the athletes to prove they are clean as opposed to governing bodies to prove that they are not. In other words the Russian athletes are screwed.

ucanthanzalthetruth

#CatsAreCooked
Jul 13, 2013
I mean this doesn't necessarily affect much. If the KHL lets the Russian players compete under the neutral flag they're still the heavy favorites. If they don't? Well this tournament will be an absolute shitshow.

I have no idea who the favorite would be if the KHL doesn't let their players go.

Pi

Nov 16, 2010
Toronto
Notice the wording for this: "Russian athletes who can prove they are clean."

In other words the onus will be on the athletes to prove they are clean as opposed to governing bodies to prove that they are not. In other words the Russian athletes are screwed.

I don't think any Russian clean or not is going to participate in the Olympics under a neutral flag. Putin will see even a win in those circumstances as humiliation. Who would dare defy Putin and go against him? If IOC doesn't want Russians, Putin will tell the clean athletes to boycott as well.

Sticksandsun

Mar 11, 2015
I mean this doesn't necessarily affect much. If the KHL lets the Russian players compete under the neutral flag they're still the heavy favorites. If they don't? Well this tournament will be an absolute ****show.

I have no idea who the favorite would be if the KHL doesn't let their players go.
Probably Sweden. I still think they'll let their skaters play so I still think Russia will win.

beowulf

Not a nice guy.
Jan 29, 2005
Ottawa
So Russian federation has been officially banned but clean athletes can compete under a neutral banner. Wonder what this means for the hockey team. Also makes me think that Russia was expecting this which is why they are saying they won't release KHL players for the Olympics. Sort of a if our players can't play neither can yours response....

bossram

Sep 25, 2013
Victoria
What a circus.

Shame on the IOC.

Huh?

This is what the IOC should have done. It's the correct move.

Russian athletes were involved in a state-led program of doping. Everyone knew about it and willingly engaged, from the government down. This is a fitting punishment.

Reactions: Hunn

snipes

How cold? I’m ice cold.
Dec 28, 2015
The KHL will now likely ban their players from going.

Hockey is going to be a **** show. Canada was mostly using KHLers for their roster, now what?

Sweden, Finland, and Switzerland now the likely top 3.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad