Russia is the favorite again!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Siberian

Dec 4, 2003
Saint Pierre
I see very many try to write team Russia off as the favorite to repeat in Finland? I don't think so. Russia is very deep again!
Who has better offense? ........ Russia!
Who has better and more experienced defence?...... Russia!
Goaltending this year is better then last year!!!!

So who can challenge Russia? ..... Canada only, everything else will be a fluke! Canada has the best goaltender of the tournament, unless he starts giggling again too early!!!

Anfernic

Feb 19, 2003
Quebec city
Visit site
Siberian said:
I see very many try to write team Russia off as the favorite to repeat in Finland? I don't think so. Russia is very deep again!
Who has better offense? ........ Russia!
Who has better and more experienced defence?...... Russia!
Goaltending this year is better then last year!!!!

So who can challenge Russia? ..... Canada only, everything else will be a fluke! Canada has the best goaltender of the tournament, unless he starts giggling again too early!!!

Yes Russia has a great team, but I'am not agree with your comment "Who can challenge Russia" hey man it's a team game and even if Canada and Russia are the early favorites, team like Usa, Czech, Finland, Sweden, Slovakia, Swiss has really good players and can beat these 2 teams so yes Russia may be favorite in your mind but don't give u the gold medal so early

Siberian

Dec 4, 2003
Saint Pierre
Anfernic said:
Yes Russia has a great team, but I'am not agree with your comment "Who can challenge Russia" hey man it's a team game and even if Canada and Russia are the early favorites, team like Usa, Czech, Finland, Sweden, Slovakia, Swiss has really good players and can beat these 2 teams so yes Russia may be favorite in your mind but don't give u the gold medal so early

Ok, I agree that the tournament can be won by at least 7 teams now. What I was saying that I read some messages and many people write Russia off. Russia has a roster that is no worse then last year!

Also, what makes Russian team so different is that most of these guys play already against men unlike most of the players on the other teams. That was the key that Russia improved so much in WC U-20, because of the rule in Russia where each team has to have 3 players under 20 years old.

CSKA

May 5, 2003
Visit site
Siberian said:
Ok, I agree that the tournament can be won by at least 7 teams now. What I was saying that I read some messages and many people write Russia off

no surprise for me .........the same thing last year :lol:

Hey Sibi was sagste 1st Line OVECHKIN - MALKIN - SEMIN WOHOOOOOOOOOOOO BABYYYYYYY :yo: :yo: :yo:

leafaholix*

Canada has the top defense and goaltender in the tournament.

;)

Siberian

Dec 4, 2003
Saint Pierre
CSKA said:
no surprise for me .........the same thing last year :lol:

Hey Sibi was sagste 1st Line OVECHKIN - MALKIN - SEMIN WOHOOOOOOOOOOOO BABYYYYYYY :yo: :yo: :yo:

I do not agree. Last year there was a lot of talk about Canada-Russia finals even before the tournament. People knew that Russia and Canada will likely take top spots in their groups and advance to semifanals. This year it is different, I do not understand why so many write Russia off.

Siberian

Dec 4, 2003
Saint Pierre
go pierre hedin said:

;)

Ok, why does Canada have better defense I wonder? What kind of experience do they have? Why do you think guys from CHL and AHL are better then players from Superleague?

Alex Kovalev

Apr 28, 2002
Burlington, Ontario
Visit site
Siberian said:
I do not agree. Last year there was a lot of talk about Canada-Russia finals even before the tournament. People knew that Russia and Canada will likely take top spots in their groups and advance to semifanals. This year it is different, I do not understand why so many write Russia off.

I dont understand how people could? and I dont know where your getting these ideas. Anyone who thinks that Canada will in for sure, is an idiot. Not only are the Russians good, so are the States, Czechs, and Swedes. I would even say that Finland and Switzerland could be surprising teams as well.

Slay

May 24, 2003
Krasnoyarsk
go pierre hedin said:

;)

More than half of this defence played last april at WJC U18 and wasn't that great versus pretty smallish Russian offence. That defence was making not small amount mistakes by letting several breakaways and some lapsuses. These Russian forwards are not small at all and of course much better than at U18.Canadian defence is big and skilled but not that experienced, most of players were born in 1985.

Siberian

Dec 4, 2003
Saint Pierre
Slay said:
More than half of this defence played last april at WJC U18 and wasn't that great versus pretty smallish Russian offence. That defence was making not small amount mistakes by letting several breakaways and some lapsuses. These Russian forwards are not small at all and of course much better than at U18.Canadian defence is big and skilled but not that experienced, most of players were born in 1985.

Oh, man. They had so many turnovers in their own end that was not even funny. You could see that Canadian defense was a notch less experienced. I really think that this rule 3 players u-20 in each Russian club makes so much difference. I heard this is the last year, next year they will get rid of it, too bad

RiellyGood

Oct 21, 2002
Visit site
Slay said:

Actually, Ian White is the only returning defenceman and its not even certain if he can play yet. I think the D should be very good for Canada this year but they will have a very inexperienced group so that may hinder them a bit. I cant wait to see Phaneuf though.....he is going to crush anything with a pulse :bow:

Bud The Spud*

CaberFan said:
Actually, Ian White is the only returning defenceman and its not even certain if he can play yet. I think the D should be very good for Canada this year but they will have a very inexperienced group so that may hinder them a bit. I cant wait to see Phaneuf though.....he is going to crush anything with a pulse :bow:

I can't wait to see him either. He'll be great! :yo:

KariyaIsGod*

It's too bad that Canada doesn't actually have many of it's best plaers or this might be totally different.

With Canada being shorthanded, Russia may indeed be the favorite.

Jovavic

Gaslight Object Project
Oct 13, 2002
New Born Citizen Erased
topshelf331 said:
Zherdev

Check out that link.

Zherdev won't be going back to Russia for a long time. If the IIHF and NHL says he can't play for the Jackets, he'll either stick around and practice with the team, or be sent to the Crunch in the AHL to stay in game shape. He's never playing for CSKA again.

Slay

May 24, 2003
Krasnoyarsk
CaberFan said:
Actually, Ian White is the only returning defenceman and its not even certain if he can play yet.

I am talking about WJC U18, not about last U20. Coburn, Seabrook, Belle and probably Phaneuf (not totaly sure) were playing last april in Yaroslavl.

The Pucks

Mar 6, 2002
Visit site
SCHL Commish said:
*sigh* It's all about the Russians. Now imagine if all of the eligible Russians could play. Namely Kovalchuk, Chistov and Svitov.

I think you might what to check those players ages, or were you planing to doctor the birth certificates ala the 80's?

Mike8

Jun 24, 2002
Visit site
SCHL Commish said:
*sigh* It's all about the Russians. Now imagine if all of the eligible Russians could play. Namely Kovalchuk, Chistov and Svitov.

I would venture to guess that Canada would benefit far more if all junior aged players were released for the WJC.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad