Russia is the favorite again!

Status
Not open for further replies.

moosefan

Feb 27, 2002
Halifax, Nova Scotia
whlfanatic said:
Uhhh ok you name me another team that has a better defense core than Phaneuf, Coburn, Gorges, Klein, Seabrook, Belle, White. It sure as hell ain't Russia.

Ps, I hope Medvedev is at a fat camp and not the World Junior camp. man that was embarassing watch that butterball pickin his nose and eatin it on the bench last year.

:lol:

Good strategy all the Canadians shoulda done was wave a cheeseburger in his face aand lure him outta the net and score.

I am a Canada supporter but fat or not Medvedev did a great job for Russia last year and was one of the reasons Canada lost. I was at the tournament and he was pretty impressive.

PEli*

Siberian said:
So who can challenge Russia? ..... Canada only

Question: Are the States in the same pool as Russia? I'm sure they'd take exception to that. I'd say that the States have as much of a chance at gold as the Canadians and they could win it all as easily as the Russians.

I guess we'll have to wait and see...

Epsilon

#basta
Oct 26, 2002
South Cackalacky
Ahh WJC time, smell the homerism!

BTW, I don't think any team has a particularly impressive defense this year and so bragging about that rings pretty hollow.

Canadian Chris

Feb 28, 2002
Nanaimo, BC
Visit site
Epsilon said:
Ahh WJC time, smell the homerism!

BTW, I don't think any team has a particularly impressive defense this year and so bragging about that rings pretty hollow.
Ding ding ding....Homerism at it's finest here.

Everyone's team is the best. There's no stopping (insert team here). They are unbeatable. Best defense, best offense, best this, best that....

---------

Seriously people...it's nice to have a debate WITH proper facts, but spewing out stuff that's not even relevant is pretty bad.

These boards, and in particular the WJC board turns into an F'n gong show from now until the end of January. People just need to learn to grow up. It's a game. Sit back, enjoy, and hopefully you are entertained. Sure, I'd love to see Canada win, but I know damn well that Russia is going to have a great team, and that our forwards are rather inexperienced, along with our defense.

It's a short tourny, and almost anything can happen. Just keep that in mind before you guys go spouting off.

Team_Spirit

95% Elliotte
Jul 3, 2002
Whoa ! That offensive force get the freak out of me !!!

Potential top 2 lines :

Ovechkin - Malkin - Semin :bow:
Shkotov - Mirnov - Tunik :bow:

Team Canada will need a Fleury in great shape and i hope Coburn and co. skating is good cuz they may have hard time against these guys .

btw why Kaigorodov isin't there again this year ?

Last edited:

Kugel

Oct 16, 2003
Ontario, Canada
Mike8 said:
I would venture to guess that Canada would benefit far more if all junior aged players were released for the WJC.

imagine a top line of Horton-Staal-Nash.....not too shabby.

anyway, the canadian D is made up of many 1st round picks and white is a returning player who has experience.

Slats432

Jun 2, 2002
hockeypedia.com
Canadian Chris said:
It's a game.

You wouldn't be saying that if Don Cherry was here...he would give you a "Why I outta..."

***read...making fun of CHA ads/Don Cherry debate.***

Anyways...non homer here.

I think that the Yanks are going to be very tough....I don't like the Canadian squad as much as I would with PM Bouchard, Nash, Staal, Horton, Bergeron, etc etc....

I think Canada might be in line for the Bronze with Yanks and Rusks fighting for top billing.

Slay

May 24, 2003
Krasnoyarsk
Jozeph_Balej said:
Whoa ! That offensive force get the freak out of me !!!

Potential top 2 lines :

Ovechkin - Malkin - Semin :bow:
Shkotov - Mirnov - Tunik :bow:

I would like to see these lines (if to choose from invited players):

SEMIN - MALKIN - OVECHKIN*
ANSHAKOV* - KAZIONOV - KRIKUNOV
GLAZACHEV - PESTUNOV* - MIRNOV
ISAKOV - SHAFIGULIN - KOZHEVNIKOV/TUNIK/ERMOLIN

*- participated last year
Jozeph_Balej said:
btw why Kaigorodov isin't there again this year ?

Born in 1983

Last edited:

BeerTuzzi

Nov 27, 2003
whlfanatic said:
I think

Bouchard-Staal-Nash

Horton-Bergeron-Crosby

Paille-Getzlaf-Stewart

Tambellini-Colliton-Burns

Phaneuf-Coburn

Seabrook-Klein

White-Gorges

Fleury
Harding

I think this would be easily the best team in the tournament and would probably manhandle the Russians.

Agreed

Team_Spirit

95% Elliotte
Jul 3, 2002
I don't know why you don't wanna see Shkotov in your lineup , that guy play for my local junior team ( Rempart 14gp 11g 17a 28pts) and i must say he's better than every Russina foward who played here : Balmochnyk and Shiskanov .

He also played 35 game with CSKA last year as a rookie RSLer .

*Well Balmo didn't played a lot but in his short stint he has damn impressive ! ( 31pts in 21games along with Simon Gagne ) Shish was huge too but i like Alexei a bit more .

Slay

May 24, 2003
Krasnoyarsk
whlfanatic said:
I think this would be easily the best team in the tournament and would probably manhandle the Russians.

In your dreams it would be easly the best team, but in reality I don't see how this team can "manhandle the Russians". Russian team is big and fast. Don't forget that Russia and Canada plays different hockey. Intimidating wouldn't work vs big Russians ;)

goteam

Dec 16, 2002
Saskatchewan
Visit site
Slay said:
In your dreams it would be easly the best team, but in reality I don't see how this team can "manhandle the Russians". Russian team is big and fast. Don't forget that Russia and Canada plays different hockey. Intimidating wouldn't work vs big Russians ;)
Players over 200 lbs.:
Canada 10, Russia 1

Slay

May 24, 2003
Krasnoyarsk
Slick Nick said:
He was invited... and I think he should make the team. He was really good at the Re/Max Challange.

If so he can replace Mirnov if he won't be ready after injury or TUNIK/ERMOLIN.

John Agar

The 4th Hanson Bro'
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
Winnipeg, Manitoba
Ah yes...the mind numbing nationalistic...

rantings of hockey lovers and the World Juniors. Love this time of year.

I have no problem with the bragging and posturing; make sure your right though, otherwise I want to see Avatars of you guys from Russia eating your hats.

I will still stay with my prediction of Canada #1, U.S. 2nd, Finland or Russia 3rd.

Last edited:

Slay

May 24, 2003
Krasnoyarsk
GOTEAM said:
Players over 200 lbs.:
Canada 10, Russia 1

Canadians are heavier sure but Russians aren't small. About 14 players 6'1+ and 190+ I was mentioning WJC U18 where Russia had pretty smallish roster but still was able to punish both North American teams with the same score 6-3. Remember it is more about style of the game and not just about the size of the players. But good size is not contraindicated versus big teams.

Last edited:

Ismellofhockey

Mar 31, 2002
Visit site

Wouldn't Bouwmeester be eligible to play as well?
That means we're losing out on:
- Bouwmeester
- Nash
- Horton
- Staal
- Bouchard
- Bergeron
- Tootoo?

damn...

KariyaIsGod*

Ismellofhockey said:
- Bouwmeester
- Nash
- Horton
- Staal
- Bouchard
- Bergeron
- Tootoo?

damn...

Exactly. If all these players were on the team, it would be Canada in a walk.

Even the big bad Russians couldn't stop the NHL's leading goal scorer.

The Pucks

Mar 6, 2002
Visit site
Ismellofhockey said:
- Bouwmeester
- Nash
- Horton
- Staal
- Bouchard
- Bergeron
- Tootoo?

damn...

J-Bo and TooToo are to old.

Status
Not open for further replies.