Rumor: Rumours & Proposals Thread | Kypreos: OTT & EDM have had Hoffman for Picks/Prospects talks

Status
Not open for further replies.

VainGretzky

Jun 4, 2015
People going on about Draisaitl will be the same as the ones eating crow on Nurse and Puljujarvi . Drai is a incredible unique Talent playing really in only his 3rd season. Judging him on his career according to this season in which he has been decent but not dominating would be the same as judging Kopitar career on last season . Kopitar has as many points this season in 31 games as it took him 56 games to reach last season. and Drai will still get 70 points plus this season. Just wait till he starts gelling with linemates.

StevenF1919

Oct 9, 2017
Edmonton
As mentioned before, there's more weight on the RNH and McDavid deals than comparables outside of the organization. Like it or not--they are centers and they play for the Edmonton Oilers.

And if we're using % of the cap, which player agents have been known to utilize, an 11% cut--his current cut--of an assumed $85m cap in two years, assuming your bridge deal and assuming similar production...a third deal could've cost us around $9.5m AAV. That's the same deal two years from now.
There's no way a 65 point C gets a deal worth 11% of the cap.

belair

Jay Woodcroft Unemployment Stance
Apr 9, 2010
Canada
There's no way a 65 point C gets a deal worth 11% of the cap.
Where are you getting 65 points? He scored 77 last year.

Or are you basing his deserved contract on the pace he's playing this season ONLY despite the fact he's played much of it while recovering from a concussion?

TKB21

Oct 27, 2013
If you can get a Dman the caliber of Karlsson for Leon plus you do it. Karlsson is in a league of his own offensively and will put up better numbers then most forwards will. He shoots right, plays a ton of minutes and instantly gives us a top PP in the league...

Draisaitl and klefbom should be close to getting it done.

belair

Jay Woodcroft Unemployment Stance
Apr 9, 2010
Canada
I'm basing it on his production when he has to drive his own line.

If that's your prerogative.

Unfortunately it's not always best to have him 'running his own line' unless your coach's goal is to minimize his players' production for the sake of saving a bit of cap here and there. Mind you, if you were to have him stapled to McDavid's wing for the entirety of this fictional bridge deal, 11% is probably on the optimistic side of the spectrum.

And considering he's currently on a 66 point pace, it seems like you're basing it solely on this years production, despite his setbacks.

StevenF1919

Oct 9, 2017
Edmonton
If that's your prerogative.

Unfortunately it's not always best to have him 'running his own line' unless your coach's goal is to minimize his players' production for the sake of saving a bit of cap here and there. Mind you, if you were to have him stapled to McDavid's wing for the entirety of this fictional bridge deal, 11% is probably on the optimistic side of the spectrum.

And considering he's currently on a 66 point pace, it seems like you're basing it solely on this years production, despite his setbacks.
Do you think Draisaitl is worth his contract if he can only produce on McDavids wing? He's getting paid star-player money and needs to produce on his own like other stars do.

Chiarelli said he signed him to that deal because he was a C. If he was signed as a C, we should be judging him by his play at that position.

Jimmi McJenkins

Sometimes miracles
Jan 12, 2006
Alberta
Do you think Draisaitl is worth his contract if he can only produce on McDavids wing?
So you assume he isn't his own player. You're wrong, straight up. I guess you're bored because it's close to semester break and the team is playing well, that's your issue not ours.

Trading Draisaitl isn't a great idea, trading Draisaitl, because you think he's "expensive" is just stupid.

StevenF1919

Oct 9, 2017
Edmonton
So you assume he isn't his own player. You're wrong, straight up. I guess you're bored because it's close to semester break and the team is playing well, that's your issue not ours.

Trading Draisaitl isn't a great idea, trading Draisaitl, because you think he's "expensive" is just stupid.
What's stupid is signing a player who can't drive his own line to an 8.5mil/yr deal. Trading him now while his value is still high could land us the #1 dman that we've been looking for.

Reactions: Dashh

McFlyingV

Feb 22, 2013
Edmonton, Alberta
Draisaitl is fine. He's playing with average wingers, and has been unsustainably unlucky on the PP. If he has even a modest 4 PP points on the year we're not even talking about it because he'd be on pace for 73 points. The points will start to come on the PP and his totals in general will rise. No, he hasn't played his best hockey this year, but he's capable of much more. I won't have any issue with him if he puts up 70 points playing the 3 centre approach with diluted skill on the wings because it helps the teams depth scoring immensely. Still love his complete game and his ability to be a bull on the puck. I expect him to be a great playoff performer in our future (if you're going to reply with "we have to make playoffs first hur dur" then don't bother quoting me). If we have to pay an extra million for that then so be it.

Digger12

Gold Fever
Feb 27, 2002
Back o' beyond
What's stupid is signing a player who can't drive his own line to an 8.5mil/yr deal. Trading him now while his value is still high could land us the #1 dman that we've been looking for.

So going by what you've said so far:

-Overpaid
-Not a line driver
-Can't produce without McDavid or Hall

If I'm an opposing GM, you're not exactly making a compelling case for me to give up a true #1 dman. Seriously, why would I even entertain your phone call? ESPECIALLY at this time of the year?

Reactions: CantHaveTkachev

bobbythebrain

Jul 30, 2016
Do you think Draisaitl is worth his contract if he can only produce on McDavids wing? He's getting paid star-player money and needs to produce on his own like other stars do.

Chiarelli said he signed him to that deal because he was a C. If he was signed as a C, we should be judging him by his play at that position.

He produced with Hall and showed he doesn't need McD in the playoffs. He was a beast in the world's to boot

I think you should stop trying to paint a picture of something imaginary like he needs other people to make him good. The dude had a concussion and a black eye also, but you're going ballistic over this year's small sample size

Relax

duul

Jun 21, 2010
Hypothetically, if Draisaitl + a defensive prospect + a 1st round pick + whatever other picks/players etc gets you Karlsson...I think you have to do it.

Karlsson is the gamebreaking defenceman that wins you cups.

We can get by without Draisaitl, I promise you.

Reactions: Dashh

Dashh

Oct 26, 2013
lol i'd toss drai and klef + picks for karlsson. He and mcdavid would be unstoppable. He plays so many minutes unlike draisatl as a third line center.

By the logic above we should be paying maroon a beastly contract due to his ability to produce with mcdavid. Drai on his own line is not worth 8.5, dunno how anyone can say otherwise.

McFlyingV

Feb 22, 2013
Edmonton, Alberta
Hypothetically, if Draisaitl + a defensive prospect + a 1st round pick + whatever other picks/players etc gets you Karlsson...I think you have to do it.

I think you'd have to wait to the summer to even entertain that deal for a couple reasons. One, you'd look foolish making that trade if Edmonton misses playoffs and wins Dahlin. Two, you would need some type of ability to discuss a sign and trade on that deal and gauge what Karlsson wants and if he's willing to sign. Idk if you can bring in Karlsson if he's looking for 12-13M. Would be pretty hard to fill out a team with 2 players taking up 1/3 of the cap.

McFlyingV

Feb 22, 2013
Edmonton, Alberta
lol i'd toss drai and klef + picks for karlsson. He and mcdavid would be unstoppable. He plays so many minutes unlike draisatl as a third line center.

By the logic above we should be paying maroon a beastly contract due to his ability to produce with mcdavid. Drai on his own line is not worth 8.5, dunno how anyone can say otherwise.
The thing is, what if Draisaitl puts up say 70P playing with guys like Strome and Khaira, who are 3rd/4th liners? You won't find comparables around the league who are producing like that without 1st line quality line mates, aside from maybe Malkin. I'd rather wait the full season to judge him rather than a 27 game sample in a season where he's missed 5 games from a concussion, and has been unsustainably unlucky on the PP.

bobbythebrain

Jul 30, 2016
If I'm trading Drai it's for depth and a future stud

Drai/? for Hanafin/Teravinen

Gives us options to punt Maroon and Klef also

Looch-McD-JP
TT-RNH-Yamo

Nurse-Larsson
Hanafin-Sekera
Davidson-Benning

bobbythebrain

Jul 30, 2016

Trading an 70-80 point player who makes 8.5mil plus assets for a 70-80 point player who will make 11mil

That would be a terrible idea imo

Reactions: CantHaveTkachev

VainGretzky

Jun 4, 2015

Karlsson has never been to a final so this makes no sense considering Sens have had some very good teams last decade as well as good goaltending. I am Happy to keep the German Gretzky over the Swedish Coffey

Raab

Oct 6, 2007
Draisaitl+Klefbom for Hanifin+Aho+Rask.

Aho-Mcdavid-Puljujarvi
Lucic-RNH-Cammalleri?
Maroon-Rask-Strome
Khaira-Letestu-Kassian

Hanifin-Larsson
Sekera-Russell
Nurse-Benning

Status
Not open for further replies.