Rumor: Rumours & Proposals | Lock It Up, Apparently We're Set.

Status
Not open for further replies.

VainGretzky

Jun 4, 2015
Can't believe there are still people who think Iginla can contribute in this league. Did no one see him play last year?
Agreed and I would rather see Puljujarvi developing in the NHL than a over the hill former star who should of been put out to pasture last season

ChaoticOrange

Jun 29, 2008
Edmonton
Have you seen our RW depth? We aren't exactly deep on the back end either. If Drai has to slot in on the top line again the Oilers have next to no secondary scoring.

Our RW depth is such that Foo took a look at it and said 'no way do I want to compete against those guys'

What does that say to you?

Mcnotloilersfan

I'm here, I'm bored
Jul 11, 2010
Niagara
Honestly, I think I'd prefer to try to add pieces at the deadline for a fraction of the cap hit and be able to add guys on expiring deals. And we will also know by then where we need to add.

I am all for adding some depth now, but I'm not gonna to sign longer than 1 year deals with how much GMs overpay in July and considering this UFA crop is rather putrid.

Agreed. I'm still keeping my fingers crossed for Marleau, but only on a short and cheap deal which is doubtful.

This team is going to the playoffs. Sekera will be a pre-deadline addition and we can go ahead and get some depth if we need it.

5 14 6 1

We are the 11.5%
Sep 15, 2010
Alberta
Alarming we are going to do nothing to fix our dead last faceoff performance or to offset the hole left by Sekera injury for half a season.

KeithIsActuallyBad

You thrust your pelvis, huh!
Apr 12, 2010
Calgary
Sure, they're not a sure thing, but theres lots there to like.

As for RNH, what you see is what you get? He's on a down year. Look at Kadri. 3 years older and just finding his game now.

This is the best team we've had in years and he still had a relatively pedestrian year. If he's going to improve he'll have to work on a great many things.

VainGretzky

Jun 4, 2015
I thought he looked great for LA down the stretch. One of their best players. One of the only ones battling out there.
He was battling and put up a .48 ppg average playing top line ,but at the same time that line was destroyed by opposition top line . and Kings faltered even worse. Iginla is now a defensive liability big time way to slow.

ChaoticOrange

Jun 29, 2008
Edmonton
He said that?

Pretty obvious. Didn't say it but he's not going to come out and say 'I'm not good enough to make that team right now'. If he wants a chance to make a roster in camp he's not doing it here. Calgary has diddly and squat on the RW, same as Vegas.

This isn't Vesey. This isn't even Caggiula. This is a step up on Patrick Russell level prospect.

Spawn

Something in the water
Feb 20, 2006
Edmonton
I thought he looked great for LA down the stretch. One of their best players. One of the only ones battling out there.

He was way better in LA than Colorado. I would want someone better but I wouldn't hate it if Iginla signed here.

Iginla managed to be a -9 in 19 games in LA while playing almost exclusively with Kopitar. Kopitar was a 51% GF player without Iginla. With Iginla he was at 37%.

He's a pure liability out there. He's too slow to play 5v5.

And does anyone really think Calgary would care if we signed Iginla? They've moved on. He was traded 5 years ago.

Wheathead

Formally a McRib
Apr 4, 2008
Saskatoon
Chiarelli is filling up his Ferrari with 87 grade gas.

Not one sense or urgency given this is the final year of McDavid's ELC

Also should have gone for it at the trade deadline. Instead gave up a defencemen who we could use today (Davidson) for a bust rental. Allergic to using draft picks for trade? Careers are short, windows are right.

The team may very well regress next year. No fully Healthy Sekera until at last half way, no favourable schedule, potential recession of Talbot, no replacement of Eberles goals and shot totals, , etc. There will be internal growth but banking entirely on in it is foolish.

It will take something like Calgary finishing ahead to wake up these incompetent clowns that are overseeing the Edmonton Oilers. Missing the playoffs entirely isn't out of realm of possibility either.

This doesn't mean you have to go whale hunting but there are plenty of reasonable bargains in the UFA market.

FFS.

So what should we do with the small amount of cap space we will have after Draisaitl signs, oh wise one?

This place is a ****show. HFOil could be mad that we haven't signed someone, but if we do sign someone they'll be mad at the contract.

Unless it's a one year contract at league minimum. Then we'd all be happy, I guess.

KeithIsActuallyBad

You thrust your pelvis, huh!
Apr 12, 2010
Calgary
So what should we do with the small amount of cap space we will have after Draisaitl signs, oh wise one?

This place is a ****show. HFOil could be mad that we haven't signed someone, but if we do sign someone they'll be mad at the contract.

Unless it's a one year contract at league minimum. Then we'd all be happy, I guess.

Doing something is almost always better than doing nothing. I don't want Chia to hand out idiotic contracts but surely something of value can be had to plug up the holes our roster has. If he's seriously satisfied with it then he's really out to lunch.

ChaoticOrange

Jun 29, 2008
Edmonton
What's the point of signing him if he's playing on the 4th line then? Might as well go after someone better.

Such as? The injury riddled corpse of Patrick Sharp? Butter soft Vrbata? 'No Canada thanks' Williams? 'Has never played for a Canadian franchise' Jagr?

Iginla was good in LA. He sucked in Colorado because everyone sucked.

Jet Walters

May 15, 2013
This place is so weird. There's way more negativity around the direction of the team than I saw here during the 2011-2015 seasons.

I was the guy freaking out in those years due to our incredibly unbalanced group of forwards while it seemed most were riding the hope and promise of another top 3 draft pick.

Now we're a balanced and competitive team thanks to Chia and everyone's freaking out when we basically have the same team that just came a bounce away from the WCF.

What the hell does everyone want? How do we get what you want with such limited cap space? It's June 27th. Go look at our D depth chart a year ago on the same date.

Raab

Oct 6, 2007
We have all the talent we need to win the cup. Some additions would be nice, sure. But this room seems to really jive together, and we have some great talent waiting to break in soon.

No we don't, we need a #1 dman. Were not even close to being a cup contender. If we make it past the 1st round next year without a significant upgrade I'd be surprised.

Mr Positive

Cap Crunch Incoming
Nov 20, 2013
Alarming we are going to do nothing to fix our dead last faceoff performance or to offset the hole left by Sekera injury for half a season.

McDavid will only get better at faceoffs as he gets older. Strome is being advertised as a center, and he's terrible at faceoffs, so I wonder there. RNH is okay-ish. I do wish we would do something to help faceoffs but at the same time I don't want us to throw money around to do so, or trade a major piece for that player.

I don't think that the Rishaug types are saying that we are totally done at everything, probably just that we won't do major things. We'll probably add a D man and RW, and maybe offer 1 year to a center (maybe bring DD back?)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad