Rumor: Rumours & Proposals | Expansion Trade Freeze zzzzz Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

Took a pill in Sbisa

2showToffoliIwascool
Apr 23, 2004
Australia
NSH is a good trade partner for the Oilers I think regarding Eberle.

They could use a scorer and we can use some forward depth to fill out the roster.

If Neal is still around (or in Vegas), he's a guy I'd look at, as well as Colin Wilson and Craig Smith.

If we could somehow get rid of Eberle and add Neal this offseason, would be a massive win.

Aceboogie

Aug 25, 2012
Uh, he wasn't traded for anything special. And he was an All-Star too.

I want a great return for Eberle too. Problem is he has screwed us by not holding up his end of the bargain and performing.

That whole group of Hall/Eberle/RNH/Schultz/Yakupov/Dubnyk is nothing but a curse for us. Any time you think you can rely on them, they've all folded and tanked their value. They've let this franchise down again, and again, and again and we keep going back to them .... every year for last what? 4-5 years it's the same thing at training camp "this is the year Yakupov/Eberle/RNH/Schultz breaks out and then we'll be able to get value for them! I got a good feeling this year!".

Remember that one year we got all excited because Schultz threw one hit in the preseason and got involved in a a scrum? Or when we were over the moon that Yakupov was a PPG with McDavid for a few games?

And every year it never happens. You can't rely on these guys for ****. They are that flakey friend that says all the right things but then doesn't show and won't pick up his cell phone when you need him. It's gonna be McDavid, Draisaitl, and Talbot putting on their big boy pants and making the team respectable, as per usual.

How are Schultz and dubnyk doing now? Maybe we should stop building a group of 5 players and asking them to do everything and blame them when they inevitably don't succeed with no support. And build a group of 20 good players. Step 1 is don't trade away good support for bad support

Aceboogie

Aug 25, 2012
If your first thought is to blame hall/rnh and not: hey maybe we should have gotten better than Belanger, eager, Sutton, fistric, petrell, etc etc etc x 50 then I think there is a problem with evaluation

Took a pill in Sbisa

2showToffoliIwascool
Apr 23, 2004
Australia
Uh, he wasn't traded for anything special. And he was an All-Star too.

I want a great return for Eberle too. Problem is he has screwed us by not holding up his end of the bargain and performing.

That whole group of Hall/Eberle/RNH/Schultz/Yakupov/Dubnyk is nothing but a curse for us. Any time you think you can rely on them, they've all folded and tanked their value. They've let this franchise down again, and again, and again and we keep going back to them .... every year for last what? 4-5 years it's the same thing at training camp "this is the year Yakupov/Eberle/RNH/Schultz breaks out and then we'll be able to get value for them! I got a good feeling this year!".

Remember that one year we got all excited because Schultz threw one hit in the preseason and got involved in a a scrum? Or when we were over the moon that Yakupov was a PPG with McDavid for a few games?

And every year it never happens. You can't rely on these guys for ****. They are that flakey friend that says all the right things but then doesn't show and won't pick up his cell phone when you need him. It's gonna be McDavid, Draisaitl, and Talbot putting on their big boy pants and making the team respectable, as per usual.

To be fair, it's on the management that gave out the long-term $6M contracts after one good season of sheltered minutes. There's very few examples around the league of other teams doing that.

Aceboogie

Aug 25, 2012
To be fair, it's on the management that gave out the long-term $6M contracts after one good season of sheltered minutes. There's very few examples around the league of other teams doing that.

Every team is giving 6m deals to top guys coming off elc. Mackinnon, Seguin, Landy, Monahan, barkov, skinner, etc etc etc (give or take 200k)

ujju2

Apr 9, 2016
Edmonton, AB
If your first thought is to blame hall/rnh and not: hey maybe we should have gotten better than Belanger, eager, Sutton, fistric, petrell, etc etc etc x 50 then I think there is a problem with evaluation

True that. But at this point, past is past. I think we should keep Nuge, I expect great things from him in a better role next year. But I think the Eberle ship has passed. He couldn't possibly have a better situation coming into the season than this last year, with almost no other proven RWs, and a spot with McDavid basically assured to start. I think he needs the change of scenery at this point.

Aceboogie

Aug 25, 2012
True that. But at this point, past is past. I think we should keep Nuge, I expect great things from him in a better role next year. But I think the Eberle ship has passed. He couldn't possibly have a better situation coming into the season than this last year, with almost no other proven RWs, and a spot with McDavid basically assured to start. I think he needs the change of scenery at this point.

Schultz did too. Led to a break out year. Not sure why we want to gift wrap to another team. Hopefully we give away Eberle to a far away east coast team. Atleast Schultz is winning cups in the east. Dubnyk is winning Vezinas in our conference

Or we could hold on for one more year and get that here

bobbythebrain

Jul 30, 2016
Would be hard to believe if it was anything other than

Draisaitl
Lucic
RNH
Eberle
Maroon
Kassian
Letestu

Sekera
Klefbom
Larsson

Talbot

It's a lot more cut and dry than many other teams

tumblr_mpshqam6L91rvzbdgo1_500.gif

We're exposing Pouliot!?!?!?

McAsuno

Jul 10, 2013
Edmonton

I'm pretty sure even the likes of Seguin wouldn't have succeed here. Easy to point the finger and blame players like RNH/Hall for the failed rebuild, but can't exclude the obc management, **** scouts, and horrible teammates.

Took a pill in Sbisa

2showToffoliIwascool
Apr 23, 2004
Australia
Schultz did too. Led to a break out year. Not sure why we want to gift wrap to another team. Hopefully we give away Eberle to a far away east coast team. Atleast Schultz is winning cups in the east. Dubnyk is winning Vezinas in our conference

I wouldn't be too worried about dealing him within the conference or even the division. He doesn't score against good teams and we're good now.

ujju2

Apr 9, 2016
Edmonton, AB

We don't. Or at least, I don't. But the truth is, he'll have to be moved next year for cap reasons anyway, and I'd rather make the move sooner and try to get a good return. I'd be happy with a decent 2RD or good 3C.

Aceboogie

Aug 25, 2012
I'm pretty sure even the likes of Seguin wouldn't have succeed here. Easy to point the finger and blame players like RNH/Hall for the failed rebuild, but can't exclude the obc management, **** scouts, and horrible teammates.

Not even Tavares would have worked here. Hell I don't think Mcdavid would have if he had that atrocious team from 2010 to 2014. Pull up any GameDay roster from then and I'd be surprised if more than 60% of guys were still in the nhl

Aceboogie

Aug 25, 2012
We don't. Or at least, I don't. But the truth is, he'll have to be moved next year for cap reasons anyway, and I'd rather make the move sooner and try to get a good return. I'd be happy with a decent 2RD or good 3C.

2rd is a fine return. I'd be more than ok with that. It's the Eakins and Stromes I feel are giving donations to other teams

bobbythebrain

Jul 30, 2016

Agree!! Look at Colorado. Their star players put up 40 point seasons this years.

RNH/Ebs/Hall still gave something for fans to cheer about during our tank

I love when posters say our core "dialed it in". It's hilarious

Edit:

And not 1 of them came on record saying it's time for a change. Duchene for example LOVES Coloarado and even he admitted it's time for a change

Bangers

May 31, 2006
I'm actually glad the Oilers didn't trade Eberle before the expansion deadline - IMO, the return would have been a downgrade like Strome, a pick (that we don't need), or a D-man we would have needed to protect (which would have thrown our forward protected list out of whack).

Vegas is going to need scoring. They're also going to have some damn good 2nd tier D-men. If I'm Chiarelli, I wait until the free agent courting period, go hard for Justin Williams (and Chia does have a track record of landing his guy), and if he agrees, move Eberle to LV for a Dman like Vatanen.

shoop

Jul 6, 2008
Edmonton
2rd is a fine return. I'd be more than ok with that. It's the Eakins and Stromes I feel are giving donations to other teams

2RD, depending on contract, would be an excellent return. I'd be ok with a 3rd line RWer who could play second line minutes in a pinch plus a 5D who could fill in on the second pairing when needed.

After that I'd be fine with re-signing Oesterle as the 7D. Nurse/Benning as your second pairing with the New guy anchoring the third pairing. Sign somebody cheap to battle with Oestrle for the 6/7D spot until Sekera comes back.

If it will take $4M per and 4 years to sign Russell, don't let the door hit you on the arse...

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007

That group is just cursed for us IMO.

Every year we are sitting here having the same conversation.

"This will be the year Schultz has trained hard and is ready to play physical! OMG! He's even getting into pre-season scrums!"

"Gagner is going top 50 points this season for sure!"

"Yakupov with McDavid or Hall is a can't miss, he finally broke out with Roy!"

Etc. etc. etc. I suspect Eberle is gone this summer and this time exactly 12 months from now it'll be

"We need to give Nugent Hopkins one more chance! He's going to break out, he's promised to stop working out with the his brother!".

These guys just for whatever reason cannot get it done here and tank their trade value the more chances we give them.

ujju2

Apr 9, 2016
Edmonton, AB
2RD, depending on contract, would be an excellent return. I'd be ok with a 3rd line RWer who could play second line minutes in a pinch plus a 5D who could fill in on the second pairing when needed.

After that I'd be fine with re-signing Oesterle as the 7D. Nurse/Benning as your second pairing with the New guy anchoring the third pairing. Sign somebody cheap to battle with Oestrle for the 6/7D spot until Sekera comes back.

If it will take $4M per and 4 years to sign Russell, don't let the door hit you on the arse...

I like Oesterle as the 7D. I've always felt like he wasn't given enough of a chance. But then again, I shouldn't be trusted regarding young defencemen, seeing as I've also wanted Brad Hunt to play in the past.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad