Rumor: Rumours & Proposals | Expansion Trade Freeze zzzzz Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

North

Jun 25, 2009
They are gonna make the cap floor easily, people need to stop banking on this reasoning. MAF in net is already a huge step towards the floor.

We are so ****ed with Pouliot. So, so ****ed, man next summer will be tough for Chia.

If he can't unload Pouliot he can buy him out.

Cloned

Begging for Bega
Aug 25, 2003
Well somebody better tell me why they didn't protect Marchessault. This might be the first time I legitimately feel bad for another team's fans.

North

Jun 25, 2009
I'm just trying to rationalize it.

It makes no sense to me.

If the Oilers did that, the pitchforks would be out right now.

Have you gone to the Florida board? Bjugstad over Marchessault is not going over well.

McVirginOil

Jun 30, 2014
If Vegas is being enticed not to choose Marchessault, it'd be a 1st + a real good young player, I would say Matheson but maybe whoever in the tier right under him

Still have no idea what Florida's perspective is lol

Fourier

Dec 29, 2006
Waterloo Ontario
You're not really "buying low" on Eberle, even if he returns to his 60 point mode, that's what a 6 million dollar player SHOULD be giving you to begin with, so that's more like an asset just breaking even instead of bleeding money.

He needs to become a 70 point scorer again to outperform his deal and fat chance on that.

The fallacy in this argument is that every player earning roughly what his performance merits would be of equal value. In fact a generic 60 point player earning $6M has far more value than a good fourth liner being paid say $200K under market value.

Chicago is not going to trade Toews for Calle Jarnkrok just because relative to his pay Jarnkrok out performs his deal.

Contracts matter, and they can certainly impact a player's trade value in good part because they can limit the market on who you can trade with. But how much this is the case is often completely over stated.

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
I still wonder, as satisfying and fun as this season was if keeping Hall long term and passing on Lucic (who will probably be a cap liability in 2-3 years) wasn't the better choice. Sure we wouldn't have had Adam Larsson, but Demers + Russell + Klefbom healthy for a full season likely would've pushed us into the post season and maybe we could've made a run at a Brodin or someone this summer.

With McDavid, Draisaitl, Hall, we would've had a core group pretty similar to what Pittsburgh has with three line driving forwards.

Eberle/RNH are just wet blankets, can't rely on either one for anything, it's such a drag.

bobbythebrain

Jul 30, 2016
The fallacy in this argument is that every player earning roughly what his performance merits would be of equal value. In fact a generic 60 point player earning $6M has far more value than a good fourth liner being paid say $200K under market value.

Chicago is not going to trade Toews for Calle Jarnkrok just because relative to his pay Jarnkrok out performs his deal.

Contracts matter, and they can certainly impact a player's trade value in good part because they can limit the market on who you can trade with. But how much this is the case is often completely over stated.

:handclap:

Cloned

Begging for Bega
Aug 25, 2003
I will say this:

Dale Tallon was the GM who screwed up the qualifying offers for his RFAs, and left them all as UFAs.

Maybe he forgot about Marchessault?

Seriously.

North

Jun 25, 2009
I legit feel bad for them if this is the case. Marchessault over Bjugstad was a no-brainer.

It would be like the Oilers protecting Pouliot over Maroon.

It's not a good idea. Marchessault scored 30 last season. I can't even begin to understand the reasoning on Florida's end.

VainGretzky

Jun 4, 2015
I will say this:

Dale Tallon was the GM who screwed up the qualifying offers for his RFAs, and left them all as UFAs.

Maybe he forgot about Marchessault?

Seriously.
This makes no sense why would they not just go with 7-3-1

Huberdeau Barkov Smith Trocheck Bugstad Jokinen Marchessault

Ekblad Yandle Demers Luongo/Reimer ? Or did he not have enough players to signed for draft qualification

McVirginOil

Jun 30, 2014
First Ducks have to pay through the nose or else Manson gets taken

Then Panthers have to pay through the nose or else Smith/Marchessault gets taken

Vegas can either be a good team or be filthy rich in good prospects and picks

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
This makes no sense why would they not just go with 7-3-1

Huberdeau Barkov Smith Trocheck Bugstad Jokinen Marchessault

Ekblad Yandle Demers Luongo/Reimer ? Or did he not have enough players to signed for draft qualification

They want to keep Petrovic and Pysyk apparently.

nexttothemoon

and again...
Jan 30, 2010
Northern AB
Vegas can pick and choose 30 decent players AND make deals to get some solid draft picks and prospects from teams that don't want certain players chosen AND they can deal some of those 30 players/picks/prospects to other teams that want to fill holes that need addressing (most made by Vegas making holes in their rosters from the expansion draft :) ) AND they get exclusive early rights to talk to UFA/RFA players to potentially grab more decent pieces to fill out their team.

Some pretty solid advantages towards building a strong team that should be very competitive immediately...

all for the low, low cost of $500 million.

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
Yup for sure Neal/ Nelson/ Marchessault up front among others and 6 solid NHL dmen with probably all them being top 4 and a legit starter.

Yeah to be honest I'm not sure if they're going to be *that* hurting for scoring.

Cloned

Begging for Bega
Aug 25, 2003
Vegas could be better than these divisional teams next year:

Vancouver
Arizona
LA
Calgary

On par with:

SJ
Edmonton

Slightly worse than:

ANA

shoop

Jul 6, 2008
Edmonton
First Ducks have to pay through the nose or else Manson gets taken

Then Panthers have to pay through the nose or else Smith/Marchessault gets taken

Vegas can either be a good team or be filthy rich in good prospects and picks

My guess is they go for being good right out of the gate. Best way to build up a fanbase in a non-traditional market. They still should trade for Eberle though. :laugh:

VainGretzky

Jun 4, 2015

Vancouver
Arizona
LA
Calgary

On par with:

SJ
Edmonton

Slightly worse than:

ANA
Ducks will start to regress imo Perry already on last Legs and it looks like they lost a good PP dman

CaptainSexyPants

Sep 27, 2012
Friedman called Marchessault this morning.

Edit: My bad, went and re-read it. He said Marchessault was 'potentially available due to protection issues'...took that to mean potentially available to Vegas, IE; not going to protect him.

Last edited:

ChaoticOrange

Jun 29, 2008
Edmonton

Vancouver
Arizona
LA
Calgary

On par with:

SJ
Edmonton

Slightly worse than:

ANA

If Vegas is a serious contender for a playoff spot I'll eat my shoe. :laugh:

They'll be a bit better than expected, but I'm willing to wager they'll be the proud owners of 5-6 new 1st and 2nd round picks and a very below average lineup.

VainGretzky

Jun 4, 2015
Yeah to be honest I'm not sure if they're going to be *that* hurting for scoring.
Yea when I 1st seen the expansion rules I was saying my god they're gonna be competitive from the start , but with all the stuff we're hearing now of teams throwing them 1sts and some surprising names left unprotected they will be fighting for a playoff spot .

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad