Rumor: Rumours & Proposals | Chia Talk Ban | Oilers Sign KHL G Mikko Koskinen, What's Next?

Status
Not open for further replies.

McFlyingV

Feb 22, 2013
Edmonton, Alberta
Chia confirmed they are upgrading the d. A dman contract needs be shipped out. It's simple economics

They ain't adding a dmen without losing a contract unless it's a prospect

IMO it's Klef. They can't go into next season guessing which Klef shows up.
If they do that is idiotic. Even Klef at his worst was better than half the D on this team. If anyone should be getting replaced its Sekera (I'm ok with giving him another year) or Russell, but I understand they probably can't due to NMC's.

If Klef goes then it needs to be in a package for a stud, otherwise its going to be more of the same. Shit defence which makes our goalies shit, and around and around we go.

Reactions: EDMOILERS9729

Aceboogie

Aug 25, 2012
Agreed, unless it's for a clear upgrade. I wonder who they have their eye on. Maybe it's a couple of guys . . .

I hate the NHL limit on having only 1 good D per team. I dunno how some teams circumvent that rule. I mean the Oilers follow the rules and always just trade away a good D to get back an equal or maybe a slight upgrade to follow the quota on # of good D per team. However, we should try and cheat the system somehow and maybe keep Klefbom AND acquire a potentially better D

But for reals, trading Klefbom is probably the most idiotic thing I have ever heard. The upgrade is going to cost a sizeable plus (plus the Chiarelli donation amount). When Klefbom is healthy and returns to his regular self, there is maybe like 30 better D than him in the entire league. Were gunna trade Klefbom for like Chris Tanev and then for the next 5 years we are going ot watch him absolutely crush it on another team. Like think Schultz/Petry level, but that add a few levels to that. I might have to reserve a thread title now for the outrage in 2020. I think the front runner is "Why Klefbom could never be a #1 D in Edmonton"

McFlyingV

Feb 22, 2013
Edmonton, Alberta
I hate the NHL limit on having only 1 good D per team. I dunno how some teams circumvent that rule. I mean the Oilers follow the rules and always just trade away a good D to get back an equal or maybe a slight upgrade to follow the quota on # of good D per team. However, we should try and cheat the system somehow and maybe keep Klefbom AND acquire a potentially better D

But for reals, trading Klefbom is probably the most idiotic thing I have ever heard. The upgrade is going to cost a sizeable plus (plus the Chiarelli donation amount). When Klefbom is healthy and returns to his regular self, there is maybe like 30 better D than him in the entire league. Were gunna trade Klefbom for like Chris Tanev and then for the next 5 years we are going ot watch him absolutely crush it on another team. Like think Schultz/Petry level, but that add a few levels to that. I might have to reserve a thread title now for the outrage in 2020. I think the front runner is "Why Klefbom could never be a #1 D in Edmonton"
Its almost like we've seen this story before. God I hope that doesn't happen.

Mr Positive

Cap Crunch Incoming
Nov 20, 2013
They can’t go into the season with Klefbom as a question mark but they can go into the season with Sekera who is a bigger question mark and Russell who they know will be garbage?

If Klefbom has trouble in the Ozone then there’s only 20-40 Dman who don’t have trouble in the Ozone if your going by those standards.
I am holding Klefbom to a high standard, in that he is our main Dman and our main OFD as well, and he got a lot of his points when Tmac's experiment of having Klef pretend to be an OFD starting paying off. He's on a team with McDavid and Drai up front, and no competition for the role as main OFD on this team. However, Klef just is not an offensive D so could never be consistent in that role even if he can put up some points, and is more of a minute munching all around great Dman.

And yes, my standard for Klef is really, really high, and so would the return I expect for him. Like realistically, Faulk would be a bit of a disappointment but an understandable one. If Klef is for sale I would hope that we are serious about going after Karlsson or someone like Trouba

soothsayer

Oct 27, 2009
I am holding Klefbom to a high standard, in that he is our main Dman and our main OFD as well, and he got a lot of his points when Tmac's experiment of having Klef pretend to be an OFD starting paying off. He's on a team with McDavid and Drai up front, and no competition for the role as main OFD on this team. However, Klef just is not an offensive D so could never be consistent in that role even if he can put up some points, and is more of a minute munching all around great Dman.

And yes, my standard for Klef is really, really high, and so would the return I expect for him. Like realistically, Faulk would be a bit of a disappointment but an understandable one. If Klef is for sale I would hope that we are serious about going after Karlsson or someone like Trouba

I agree with most of this, but Chiarelli has tipped his hand in saying that they need faster transition on defense, meaning that the Oilers don't have enough guys who can move the puck quickly from the defensive zone. And he's right about that. Klefbom has an okay outlet pass and a good shot (when he's healthy), but the Oilers don't really have anyone who move the puck quickly to the forwards, and that's a total killer. It's shocking that they don't have that type of player, for a number of reasons.

Anyways, Klefbom can drop bombs from the point, but he's not that guy. They really, really need that guy. Maybe they think they can sacrifice Klefbom for that guy. I don't know. I have zero trust in Chiarelli's plan. He doesn't deserve anyone's trust. But the Oilers desperately need a puck moving d-man. Like, really bad.

Stud Muffin

Jan 2, 2014
Manitoba

A healthy Klefbom imo is a guy who gets between 35-45 points consistently and I’d take a TWD like him over a OFD who gets 35-50 like Faulk.
I think Klefbom’s puck moving ability is underrated here.

Last edited:
Reactions: EDMOILERS9729

Mr Positive

Cap Crunch Incoming
Nov 20, 2013
I agree with most of this, but Chiarelli has tipped his hand in saying that they need faster transition on defense, meaning that the Oilers don't have enough guys who can move the puck quickly from the defensive zone. And he's right about that. Klefbom has an okay outlet pass and a good shot (when he's healthy), but the Oilers don't really have anyone who move the puck quickly to the forwards, and that's a total killer. It's shocking that they don't have that type of player, for a number of reasons.

Anyways, Klefbom can drop bombs from the point, but he's not that guy. They really, really need that guy. Maybe they think they can sacrifice Klefbom for that guy. I don't know. I have zero trust in Chiarelli's plan. He doesn't deserve anyone's trust. But the Oilers desperately need a puck moving d-man. Like, really bad.
I don't think that trading Klef really needs any kind of plan, and there would be no hiding the motive in it anyway. If we are trading him it will be for THE answer, and it's obvious to every fan and even outside fans what we really need. We are not looking to dump him, or even trade him for an interesting winger. He's too good and on too good a contract to trade him for something sideways.

Mr Positive

Cap Crunch Incoming
Nov 20, 2013
A healthy Klefbom imo is a guy who gets between 35-45 points consistently and I’d take a TWD like him over a OFD who gets 35-50 like Faulk.
I think Klefbom’s puck moving ability is underrated here.

well I do hope we get a real OFD. Even if we don't have to trade Klef, and just sign someone like Green, I think we'd all see what a true OFD could do on this team. It would be a key to a consistent power play, and perhaps even unlock this team's ability to give sustained pressure in the o-zone instead of scoring on the rush all the time.

soothsayer

Oct 27, 2009
I don't think that trading Klef really needs any kind of plan, and there would be no hiding the motive in it anyway. If we are trading him it will be for THE answer, and it's obvious to every fan and even outside fans what we really need. We are not looking to dump him, or even trade him for an interesting winger. He's too good and on too good a contract to trade him for something sideways.

I would change one thing in your response. I would say that if the Oilers trade Klefbom it should be for the answer. Sadly, this group has made no indication that it would be so. The Oilers are 3 years deep and one Hart trophy candidate down and still no answer. Know what I mean.

CupofOil

Knob Flavored Coffey
Aug 20, 2009
NYC
Chia confirmed they are upgrading the d. A dman contract needs be shipped out. It's simple economics

They ain't adding a dmen without losing a contract unless it's a prospect

IMO it's Klef. They can't go into next season guessing which Klef shows up.

Sure they can, why do they HAVE TO trade a good young 24 year old Dman who is locked up through his prime years at a team friendly caphit? Why do they have to trade him coming off the worst season of his career?

This would be the absolute worst time to trade him because unless it's in a larger package for a #1 Dman, the Oilers are almost certain to lose the trade not only because the player they get in return isn't likely to be much better but also because you're not getting a player with as good a contract who is as good or better than him. If it's for a #1 Dman then pull the trigger but otherwise, no absolutely no.

I'm fully against any lateral trades this offseason or loss of value trades to fill "needs". Either stay the course or trade for a real live upgrade. There's no reason to go full panic mode with the core still being very young but of course Chia might not see it the same way because his job security isn't so secure so I guess we should just batten down the hatches and prepare for an offseason storm.

bobbythebrain

Jul 30, 2016
Sure they can, why do they HAVE TO trade a good young 24 year old Dman who is locked up through his prime years at a team friendly caphit? Why do they have to trade him coming off the worst season of his career?

This would be the absolute worst time to trade him because unless it's in a larger package for a #1 Dman, the Oilers are almost certain to lose the trade not only because the player they get in return isn't likely to be much better but also because you're not getting a player with as good a contract who is as good or better than him. If it's for a #1 Dman then pull the trigger but otherwise, no absolutely no.

I'm fully against any lateral trades this offseason or loss of value trades to fill "needs". Either stay the course or trade for a real live upgrade. There's no reason to go full panic mode with the core still being very young but of course Chia might not see it the same way because his job security isn't so secure so I guess we should just batten down the hatches and prepare for an offseason storm.

b/c he has some value still. Another bad year and or injury, and we are stuck with him or trade him for literally nothing

He's highly overrated on these boards and he has the contract to be moved

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
Sekera needs to go IMO. Nurse is better defensively and Klefbom is better offensively. Not to mention Andrei is our most expensive defenseman. Hopefully he agrees to waive and we can move out most of his cap.

CupofOil

Knob Flavored Coffey
Aug 20, 2009
NYC
b/c he has some value still. Another bad year and or injury, and we are stuck with him or trade him for literally nothing

He's highly overrated on these boards and he has the contract to be moved

Have some value still? He has been a good player at every level of hockey, last season was a major exception. Unless you think he has peaked as a player and it's all downhill from here on out, you don't trade him unless it's a clear upgrade. I sure hope that management hasn't given up on him like some fans have.

What do you mean his contract is the one to be moved? He has one of the few value contracts on the roster. There are a boatload of contracts that I'd move before his. If anything, his contract is a big asset for the organization, an organization that is cap strapped.

bobbythebrain

Jul 30, 2016
Have some value still? He has been a good player at every level of hockey, last season was a major exception. Unless you think he has peaked as a player and it's all downhill from here on out, you don't trade him unless it's a clear upgrade. I sure hope that management hasn't given up on him like some fans have.

I think he's injury prone, especially for a non physical dman, and his offense was highly peaked.

He is not a prototypical OFD and his points last year were inflated by alot of luck also

Even in his glory last year he spent 2 months missing the net

I never gave up on him, cuz I never fully bought in

If Klef is the plan to be the main offensive dman on this team, they are in bigtime trouble

If they upgrade Klef with prospects/picks, and trade Klef for a solid winger...that would be a good summer imo

Edit: Not to mention Klef has tanked this team 2x in 3 years. His injury crushed them 2 years ago, and his play this year also

That's alot of faith management will need not to trade him while he can be used to upgrade the team

Last edited:

BarDownBobo

Oct 19, 2012
City of Champions
Sekera needs to go IMO. Nurse is better defensively and Klefbom is better offensively. Not to mention Andrei is our most expensive defenseman. Hopefully he agrees to waive and we can move out most of his cap.
Gotta stop dumping guys for the sake of it. To me the best course of action with Sekera is giving him the chance to rebound next year when he's back to 100%. If he does then he can be moved next summer when his NMC turns to a limited NTC, and that way they can get some value back in return. It also provides a safety net in case Nurse plays more like his second half than his first half or if Klefbom struggles again.

CupofOil

Knob Flavored Coffey
Aug 20, 2009
NYC
I think he's injury prone, especially for a non physical dman, and his offense was highly peaked.

He is not a prototypical OFD and his points last year were inflated by alot of luck also

Even in his glory last year he spent 2 months missing the net

I never gave up on him, cuz I never fully bought in

If Klef is the plan to be the main offensive dman on this team, they are in bigtime trouble

If they upgrade Klef with prospects/picks, and trade Klef for a solid winger...that would be a good summer imo

I agree on the injury concern but he has always been a good player when healthy although I do think he was overrated by some on this board this past offseason, those who said that he was a budding #1 Dman or was already a legit top pairing guy.
'
I still think it's a very bad idea to deal him. Even if he plays up to his usual standard (not what he was this season), that contract will be the gift that keeps on giving as long as the Oilers choose to hold on to it so I'm treating that as a gold asset that is only available for a clear upgrade. Trading him for a solid winger would be a mistake that they would regret in short order IMO.

Lord Quas

The unseen
Aug 9, 2006
I don't understand the talk of trading Klef. Especially for a forward. Picks and prospects will get us another Reinhart, ie. some player that is a bigger gamble than Klef.

Sure if you can get a LD that's better than Klef, and you still have Nurse and Seks around, fine, dump him for a winger. Actually, I take that back, even with that addition you probably still keep Kelf around because the D depth in the organization is horrid.

Besides, I don't see a top pairing guy coming here. The only way to get that is by UFA (in which case the guy will probably only be top pairing for a season or two, because oilers), or if one of the few guys we have now can take another step. Will one of the deck chairs we currently have ever get to the point of playing a solid 25+ minutes a night against top competition? I hope so, otherwise it's going to be more of the same. Look what it took to get Larsson. I just think it's unlikely that we get better on the back end. No way you create a whole in that already underwelming D core to shore up the wings.

ConnorMcNugesaitl

Sep 23, 2012
We will be eating like 40% of his cap and adding a third. My guess Arizona

Do people seriously forget how good Sekera was in his 2 years before his injury?

How does retaining 40% on Sekera and paying a team to take him make the Oilers a better team?

To the original point Russell (assuming the others are healthy) is the teams most expendable defenseman (of the 5 main ones) and it's not even close. The team needs what Sekera brings much more than a bottom pairing d that can munch minutes when injuries happen and kill penalties.

Jumptheshark

Rebooting myself
Oct 12, 2003
Somewhere on Uranus
Do people seriously forget how good Sekera was in his 2 years before his injury?

How does retaining 40% on Sekera and paying a team to take him make the Oilers a better team?

To the original point Russell (assuming the others are healthy) is the teams most expendable defenseman (of the 5 main ones) and it's not even close. The team needs what Sekera brings much more than a bottom pairing d that can munch minutes when injuries happen and kill penalties.

Playing devils advocate to all those people who think it will be easy to move him out. If we try to move him now we are selling low, yet again

SK13

non torsii subligarium
Jul 23, 2007
Edmonton
We will be eating like 40% of his cap and adding a third. My guess Arizona

40% of his salary is 2.5M or thereabouts. That's worse than a buyout in the first 3 years of the buyout.

Here's a crazy idea guys: Why don't we NOT pay the #5 defenseman 4M and keep the guys with actual upside. Shocking, I know.

nexttothemoon

and again...
Jan 30, 2010
Northern AB
Problem is that #5 dman was better than 2 of the team's top supposed top 4 dmen this season.

Yes Sekera and Klefbom have injuries as their excuses for crap seasons... but remove Russell from that equation as well.. and you just have an even bigger gaping hole on D.

We don't even know if Sekera is actually going to bounce back to 100%.. he should.. but he might not and Klefbom has enough defensive issues that even if he finds his offense again.. he's still a question mark in the top 4. I agree with others that people were far too premature in proclaiming him a budding #1 and a rock top pairing guy at worst. We've actually seen him at his worst this past season... and at his worst he shouldn't even be in the lineup.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad