Speculation: Rumours and trade proposals

NoNecksCurse

Oct 19, 2011
Melnyk won't pay Subban and we're giving em 3 more million to pay this way. Even then it's a way too big of a price for a rental Karlsson we cannot re-sign
Maybe there's a way but only If Subban is out of town. Then there's a maximum of like 4-5 million more that Karlsson wants. Karlsson also hasn't been Karlsson so far.
no defenseman is worth 12-13 million. give me 2 2nd pair defenseman at 8 million combined and a smith/turris at 5 million. even mcdavid hasn't been able to save the oilers.

Armourboy

Hey! You suck!
Jan 20, 2014
Shelbyville, TN
I'll be honest, right now no player has been worth the 12-13 million range, not even the mighty McDavid. It just leaves you too hamstrung in other places imo. Especially so when you consider you can sign two pretty damn good players for one great one.

And really it's not so much that they aren't or won't be worth that, it's more to me that you are going to have a less well rounded team to pay them that. Even Pittsburgh with Crosby had more than just him.

JustaFinnishGuy

Joonas Donskoi avi but not a SEA fan ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Mar 3, 2016
Finland
No defenseman is worth that at the moment, but the cap is rising. That will become the common price for defensemen like Karlsson in the future. At least if the salary cap is still in effect.
Crosby signed for 8.7M in 2012. That makes him only 13.6% of the Pittsburgh cap. They could surround him and Malkin quite well, even though Malkin took the same cap amount as Sidney. 26.2% is a lot to commit to for 2 players.

Karlsson would take 16% of the cap if he was to sign for 12 million in the current cap system. It only drops to 15% if the cap rises to 80M. Is that too much?

Last edited:

NSH615

Feb 13, 2013
No defenseman is worth that at the moment, but the cap is rising. That will become the common price for defensemen like Karlsson in the future. At least if the salary cap is still in effect.
Crosby signed for 8.7M in 2012. That makes him only 13.6% of the Pittsburgh cap. They could surround him and Malkin quite well, even though Malkin took the same cap amount as Sidney. 26.2% is a lot to commit to for 2 players.

Karlsson would take 16% of the cap if he was to sign for 12 million in the current cap system. It only drops to 15% if the cap rises to 80M. Is that too much?
15% for one player? I'd say it's pushing it if you want to build a contending roster. I realize they signed 2 guys to this price, but look at what the Kane/Toews deals at 14% each of the current cap did to Chicago. They went from absolute contenders to a bubble team at best.

AtlantaWhaler

Thrash/Preds/Sabres
Jul 3, 2009
Summer after next(2019) so we could trade for him after July 1, 2018 and immediately sign an extension, which is the only circumstance that I would consider trading for him

Gotcha. I totally understand that this is "just for fun", but I still would need to wait on the results of this season. If the Preds make another deep run, I only consider minor tweeks. I just don't see blowing up our defensive core helping (though I know Karl is amazing) if we have a proven lineup in place.

JustaFinnishGuy

Joonas Donskoi avi but not a SEA fan ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Mar 3, 2016
Finland
Gotcha. I totally understand that this is "just for fun", but I still would need to wait on the results of this season. If the Preds make another deep run, I only consider minor tweeks. I just don't see blowing up our defensive core helping (though I know Karl is amazing) if we have a proven lineup in place.
True. If we get to at least the SCF again, there are no moves to make. Just let the boys play another great season together and get the big prize at the end of it.
If we get stopped in the WCF or earlier, then I would consider it. Glad Poile does these decisions for me though, with flying colors.

Last edited:

Bjornar Moxnes

Stem Rødt og Felix Unger Sörum
Oct 16, 2016
Troms og Finnmark
I would trade any of our big-4 for him, including Josi if that's what it took. Karlsson is heads and shoulders above all of them, and that's not to put down any of our defenders, he's just that good. This question is like asking if we'd trade any of our top forwards for McDavid. Maybe Forsberg gives some pause just because of how the lines shake out, but even then Forsberg tops out somewhere in the 80's I'd say and McDavid should go over 100.

Karlsson can regularly put up 70 points while Josi is 55-60. That's actually a huge gap and I think Josi is the closest piece as far as talent goes. but in a trade like that it would probably have to be Subban going to Ottawa just to make the money work.

Eh not necessarily, maybe Ellis as Ellis is getting a raise. I actually think because both players have contracts expiring at the same time, Ellis++ for Karlsson is perfect.

Bjornar Moxnes

Stem Rødt og Felix Unger Sörum
Oct 16, 2016
Troms og Finnmark
Just for you know whats and giggles...

since the big story now is that OTT plans to trade Karlsson rather than resign him, would you trade any of our big 4 defensemen in a package for him? (With a guaranteed re-sign, like we obviously had with Turris)

I'd trade Ellis, a 1st rounder, and a good prospect for Karlsson without an extension.

NSH615

Feb 13, 2013
True, but at the same time I'd rather give that up than Subban and a 1st lol. Ellis' contract is not guaranteed, and Subban is just better.
Not trying to be a Subban hater here, but Subban would absolutely have to go back if Karlsson was traded for. Salary would not work otherwise.

Scoresberg

In Trotz We Trust?
May 28, 2015
Earth
I have been against any trades since the Turris one but with the way our bottom-6 is looking right now and if it doesn't get better before the TDL I would look into adding a bottom-6 winger. Someone with speed, and knows how to battle *cough* Colin Wilson *cough*. For a low price, like the Parenteau add last year now with someone who can actually play.

Our 3rd pair is also a bit of concern but once Ellis gets back we got some competition for the spot and we can probably assemble a good 3rd pair from those guys. When the playoffs start the top-4 will be playing about 50 minutes a game so it's not that important part anyways.

NSH615

Feb 13, 2013
I have been against any trades since the Turris one but with the way our bottom-6 is looking right now and if it doesn't get better before the TDL I would look into adding a bottom-6 winger. Someone with speed, and knows how to battle *cough* Colin Wilson *cough*. For a low price, like the Parenteau add last year now with someone who can actually play.

Our 3rd pair is also a bit of concern but once Ellis gets back we got some competition for the spot and we can probably assemble a good 3rd pair from those guys. When the playoffs start the top-4 will be playing about 50 minutes a game so it's not that important part anyways.

LOL. You and Wilson.

Scoresberg

In Trotz We Trust?
May 28, 2015
Earth
LOL at what? Truth is he'd be a almost perfect fit for our 3rd line right now. He's not exactly thriving in Colorado and that's because he's the 4C.

Armourboy

Hey! You suck!
Jan 20, 2014
Shelbyville, TN
Lets see, didn't thrive in Nashville ( outside of one season ) and didn't thrive in Colorado, but bringing him back is the answer. Look I hung in there with Wilson for years, but its time to face the music, the dude just doesn't have it.

Scoresberg

In Trotz We Trust?
May 28, 2015
Earth
Wilson's PPG last 3 seasons with us:

0,545 ~ 45p
0,375 ~ 31p
0,5 ~ 41p

In my opinion that's good middle-6 production. And who's to say he wouldn't have blossomed with a better center like Smith is doing right now?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad