Rumor: Rumours and Proposals: Part 8 - probably standing pat edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

doubledown99

May 21, 2009
Arizona could also be a team we target for trade. Hanzal & Stone (RHD) would be fits on our current team

duul

Jun 21, 2010
Arizona could also be a team we target for trade. Hanzal & Stone (RHD) would be fits on our current team

I recommended these two players last week. I feel they would be perfect fits for our club. Hanzal would give us such great depth for the playoffs, but the question is if Stone can play a PP successfully for us.

You need to look at who's available really. Maybe make two separate trades. One for Hanzal and then one for Shattenkirk.

*pending our record at the TDL. If we are still first or second in the division, I believe Chia goes all in.

belair

Jay Woodcroft Unemployment Stance
Apr 9, 2010
Canada
Wonder what kind of player Edmonton could get back if they packed Eberle + 1st 2017.

Kreider + 2nd?

Kreider would probably be perfect with McD, since he brings both speed, size, grit along with a great shot.

And he's not a floater defensively either.

Neither is Eberle this year.

CupofOil

Knob Flavored Coffey
Aug 20, 2009
NYC
What other parts? If you're talking about the Hansen, Sutter, Tanev deal then those are more than just "parts". Hansen scored as many 5 vs 5 goals last year as Hall. I don't think I'd deal RNH right now, but if the Canucks continue to free fall they are a very good trading partner for the Oilers.

I don't think Vancouver is a good fit at all unless we're talking about a smaller trade where they make Stetcher available (not gonna happen). The Oilers don't need Tanev, especially not for what he will cost.

Arizona is a good trading partner, Winnipeg and Minnesota as well. Unfortunately, it would likely cost us RNH to get the desired top 4 Dman from those teams or in Winnipeg's case, Nurse since they have a big need on the left side.

Jet Walters

May 15, 2013
I don't think Vancouver is a good fit at all unless we're talking about a smaller trade where they make Stetcher available (not gonna happen). The Oilers don't need Tanev, especially not for what he will cost.

Arizona is a good trading partner, Winnipeg and Minnesota as well. Unfortunately, it would likely cost us RNH to get the desired top 4 Dman from those teams or in Winnipeg's case, Nurse since they have a big need on the left side.

I agree about Tanev, but I'd take a run at Edler. Another left shot, but a better PP option than what we currently have and is just a solid all around defenseman. Hansen would be one of the better RW targets out there for the Oilers too, although I hear he's out with a shoulder injury now.

Speaking of injuries, I just heard Hamonic is out 4-6 weeks from that shot he blocked versus the Oilers.

The Avs are really struggling to score goals. I wonder if something involving Barrie might make it's way back to the table.

stoff

Apr 19, 2007
I recommended these two players last week. I feel they would be perfect fits for our club. Hanzal would give us such great depth for the playoffs, but the question is if Stone can play a PP successfully for us.

You need to look at who's available really. Maybe make two separate trades. One for Hanzal and then one for Shattenkirk.

*pending our record at the TDL. If we are still first or second in the division, I believe Chia goes all in.

Hanzal I feel would be a perfect fit for the club. I think as a big, defensively responsible center tho he would command quite a haul at the deadline, and we don't really have the prospect captial to acquire him unless we are willing to give up our first round pick.

Shattenkirk already basically rejected a trade to edmonton when he said he wouldn't resign here over the summer. So we would be looking at him as a pure rental. Additionally, i doubt st.louis would deal away such susbtantial talent at the deadline when they will also undoubtedly be looking to make a deep run.

doubledown99

May 21, 2009

I don't know if the Blues will move Shattenkirk and if they do I've read they want a 1st rd pick + prospect in return at minimum.

With Stone and Hanzal there value (based on prior UFA's traded) is maybe 2nd rd pick each? Stone isn't a PP QB but would provide us more depth on D and would slot in that #4 slot most likely. So that has value. I'd probably move a 1st rd pick (top 10 protected) for both those guys. This current draft class is suppose to be weak so that 1st isn't probably as valuable as in most years.

That's assuming Arizona values a 1st the same as potentially two 2nd's (assuming that is the value of Stone and Hanzal). So:

Hanzal + Stone (maybe also UFA Vrbata)
for
EDM 2017 1st rd pick

Solidifies our depth and provides us some players that can improve our 5v5 and PK. And I would try to make that move now rather than TDD

Jet Walters

May 15, 2013
I don't know if the Blues will move Shattenkirk and if they do I've read they want a 1st rd pick + prospect in return at minimum.

With Stone and Hanzal there value (based on prior UFA's traded) is maybe 2nd rd pick each? Stone isn't a PP QB but would provide us more depth on D and would slot in that #4 slot most likely. So that has value. I'd probably move a 1st rd pick (top 10 protected) for both those guys. This current draft class is suppose to be weak so that 1st isn't probably as valuable as in most years.

That's assuming Arizona values a 1st the same as potentially two 2nd's (assuming that is the value of Stone and Hanzal). So:

Hanzal + Stone (maybe also UFA Vrbata)
for
EDM 2017 1st rd pick

Solidifies our depth and provides us some players that can improve our 5v5 and PK. And I would try to make that move now rather than TDD

Ladd got a 1st and one of the Hawks better prospects in Dano as a rental last year. I'd expect the price of Hanzal and Stone to be at least a 1st, Reinhart, and another good prospect.

The Nuge

Some say…
Jan 26, 2011
British Columbia

Those are the 2 guys I've been thinking about since summer :laugh:. The only question is contracts. That said, that gives us the same type of defense like Vancouver had when they went to the cup finals. No #1 dman, but everyone in the top 4 is a #3 dman or better

doubledown99

May 21, 2009
Ladd got a 1st and one of the Hawks better prospects in Dano as a rental last year. I'd expect the price of Hanzal and Stone to be at least a 1st, Reinhart, and another good prospect.

Ladd was more highly thought of at that time then Hanzal is now. Ladd was a 1st liner that was a consistent 20 goal scorer and Cup winner. I highly doubt Hanzal is viewed currently the same way Ladd was then. Hanzal is a 3rd line defensive C. Maybe at his absolute peak a 2nd line C. Those players always go for less than 1st liners.

Plus go look at all the other deadline deals. We got Maroon for a 4th rd pick. Boedker was basically traded for a 2nd rd pick (Bleackly). Matthias for a 4th. Purcell for a 3rd etc.

Even going back to past TDD....the common currency is 2nd rd picks.

I'd be surprised if Hanzel was viewed as worth a 1st rd pick. He's injury prone and never has got more than 41 points in a season.

Edit: lol I just read Hanzal is again on IR. Man I like this guy but wow is he injury prone. Still would trade for him. But I wouldn't break the bank. (Stone is on IR also - Concussion).

Last edited:

KeithIsActuallyBad

You thrust your pelvis, huh!
Apr 12, 2010
Calgary
Elliotte Friedman ‏@FriedgeHNIC · 32s33 seconds ago

Jacob Trouba is re-signing in Winnipeg. Hearing two years, $3M AAV.

I'm shocked that none of the major RFAs went anywhere this year. Shocked I tell you.

McTrashBoat

Show me the deed
Nov 28, 2014

I'm shocked that none of the major RFAs went anywhere this year. Shocked I tell you.

Well at least he lost money and the team is under .500 now

CupofOil

Knob Flavored Coffey
Aug 20, 2009
NYC

That's a sign and trade type of deal. He won't be in Winnipeg at the end of the season IMO.

@jet walters.... Edler would be an interesting option if the Oilers don't re-sign Russell but I don't see the Canucks dealing him within the division.
I'd really like to pry Montour from Anaheim but Benning might be able to fill that role anyway.

KeithIsActuallyBad

You thrust your pelvis, huh!
Apr 12, 2010
Calgary
That's a sign and trade type of deal. He won't be in Winnipeg at the end of the season IMO.

@jet walters.... Edler would be an interesting option if the Oilers don't re-sign Russell but I don't see the Canucks dealing him within the division.
I'd really like to pry Montour from Anaheim but Benning might be able to fill that role anyway.

Trouba to the Flames. :sarcasm:

Jet Walters

May 15, 2013
Ladd was more highly thought of at that time then Hanzal is now. Ladd was a 1st liner that was a consistent 20 goal scorer and Cup winner. I highly doubt Hanzal is viewed currently the same way Ladd was then. Hanzal is a 3rd line defensive C. Maybe at his absolute peak a 2nd line C. Those players always go for less than 1st liners.

Plus go look at all the other deadline deals. We got Maroon for a 4th rd pick. Boedker was basically traded for a 2nd rd pick (Bleackly). Matthias for a 4th. Purcell for a 3rd etc.

Even going back to past TDD....the common currency is 2nd rd picks.

I'd be surprised if Hanzel was viewed as worth a 1st rd pick. He's injury prone and never has got more than 41 points in a season.

Edit: lol I just read Hanzal is again on IR. Man I like this guy but wow is he injury prone. Still would trade for him. But I wouldn't break the bank. (Stone is on IR also - Concussion).

Contending teams have shown they will overpay for a player with a unique skill set though. Gaustad returned a 1st a while back. Hanzal is a beast and if you're a team missing the intangibles he brings I would bet the return includes a 1st. You're certainly not getting Stone and Hanzal for a 1st, let alone Vrbata thrown in too. Although I don't see why the Oilers would be interested in a soft scoring winger like him anyways.

40oz

Jan 21, 2007
PK Subban's bridge deal was 2 years at 2.875M. So this seems reasonable, but I wonder if teams vying to aquire Trouba would have preferred to pay now to get him long term at numbers like Lindholm or Risto rather than have to perhaps pay a higher price on his next contract.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Latest posts

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad