Rumor: Rumours and Proposals: Part 8 - probably standing pat edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

Faelko

Aug 11, 2002
On the topic of Nashville, I wonder how available Neal would be. Two years left at $5M, and the Preds have wingers coming out their ears with Forsberg, Wilson, Smith, Fiala, Arvidsson and even more in the system.

Compounding matters is Neal's slow start. He's a bit like Eberle in how frustrating he can be, but there's no question he's a bigger body who likes to shoot the puck. I think he'd be a good fit for McDavid.

A little off topic but you're famous now...check out Ryan Lamberts "What we Learned: Are the Rangers actually this good?" Article on Yahoo...scroll to the bottom.

Draiskull

Oct 26, 2005
So after over a decade are we ready to ask the following question:
Who should we target at the trade deadline for our playoffs push?

Aceboogie

Aug 25, 2012

If San Jose is out of playoff picture (slim chance)- Burns. Boy thatd be a massive add and would fit with our desire to sign him as UFA after

Id target a D from Columby- Maybe David Savard

Carolina has some D Id want for a playoff push

Digger12

Gold Fever
Feb 27, 2002
Back o' beyond

Others can do as they like, but I'd rather wait to see where this teams stands after US Thanksgiving before I start going down this road.

Faelko

Aug 11, 2002
Quick glance at the stats page and I notice we have 7 guys in the top 30 of the Hits categories...don't imagine that's ever happened.

doubledown99

May 21, 2009
On Flames Nation, I was reading the recap of there game yesterday and in the comments section there were some posts saying the Flames should trade Gio. One of them listed EDM as potential destination that the Flames should explore.

Not that it's going to happen but would love to get Gio here (assuming we could send salary back and not gut our team - like at all).

Also have this fantasy that the Canucks embrace a rebuild and move Tanev and Hansen to EDM for picks and prospects. I know Tanev wouldn't solve the PP QB issue but would be a great add to the top 4. (Also I understand that Tanev would be part of their rebuild but they do have Benning as a GM ;))

Aceboogie

Aug 25, 2012
On Flames Nation, I was reading the recap of there game yesterday and in the comments section there were some posts saying the Flames should trade Gio. One of them listed EDM as potential destination that the Flames should explore.

Not that it's going to happen but would love to get Gio here (assuming we could send salary back and not gut our team - like at all).

Also have this fantasy that the Canucks embrace a rebuild and move Tanev and Hansen to EDM for picks and prospects. I know Tanev wouldn't solve the PP QB issue but would be a great add to the top 4. (Also I understand that Tanev would be part of their rebuild but they do have Benning as a GM ;))

Gio is hitting a wall. He was villified by Flames fans first 20 of last year and so far this year. That contract is a big concern and ive seen a number of people suggesting trading him now is smart.

My concern is he is really on the decline. I would like to get him tho, he is still a good D and a great vet. But id probably offer Eberle max to be honest. Swap of big long term deals

Red Deer Rebel

Apr 7, 2008
Red Deer
I'm glad the Flames have sewered themselves with the Giordano contract for the next 6 years.

That contract is already starting to stink.

In as little as 2 years, it will be a putrid stench.

I'm so looking forward to it.

The idea of bringing that albatross onto our team is insane.

Jumptheshark

Rebooting myself
Oct 12, 2003
Somewhere on Uranus

On the main trade page nuck fans turned down Eberle and Nuge for Tanev and few other parts. Just to give you an idea of how high they rate Tanev

SupremeTeam16

5-14-6-1
May 31, 2013
Baker’s Bay

I personally don't think we should be spending assets on rentals until we are a team poised for a deep playoff run. We are still building our prospect depth and with having to hand over a 2nd to Boston, we need to keep these assets for when a rental is going to be the thing that puts us over the top.

Jet Walters

May 15, 2013
On the main trade page nuck fans turned down Eberle and Nuge for Tanev and few other parts. Just to give you an idea of how high they rate Tanev

What other parts? If you're talking about the Hansen, Sutter, Tanev deal then those are more than just "parts". Hansen scored as many 5 vs 5 goals last year as Hall. I don't think I'd deal RNH right now, but if the Canucks continue to free fall they are a very good trading partner for the Oilers.

Titsuple

Jun 23, 2009
edmonton
I think we try and make playoffs with this group. Maybe a couple small moves for picks when guys get healthy. Next year will be the year to go for it I think with another year of maturity, a few more prospects in the system and after the expansion draft.

Smartguy

May 3, 2010
Edmonton
I personally don't think we should be spending assets on rentals until we are a team poised for a deep playoff run. We are still building our prospect depth and with having to hand over a 2nd to Boston, we need to keep these assets for when a rental is going to be the thing that puts us over the top.

This, but if on the 1 in 1 million chance we have a legit shot at landing burns at the deadline I'd do it, only if management thought they would have a good chance at resigning him in the offseason as well. Burns would instantly turn us into a contender

Jet Walters

May 15, 2013
Uh...over a decade? We were buyers at the trade deadline in both 2009 and 2013.

Yeah, who could forget the epic Smithson for a 4th rental. Fail/

In 09 I wouldn't consider trading Eric Cole for O'Sullivan and Kotalik exactly loading up either. That was more of a contract issue with Cole and getting what we could for him.

Last edited:

shoop

Jul 6, 2008
Edmonton
Uh...over a decade? We were buyers at the trade deadline in both 2009 and 2013.

It's just easier to look at missing the playoffs as equaling a decade of being sellers a the TDL.

People forget that the suckage didn't start in earnest until 2008-09.

Aceboogie

Aug 25, 2012

lmao. Canucks fans are smart. Jimbo Benning is not. hell just last year in prospects threads there was a Shinakurk vs Granlund debate and Canucks fans were saying how much better Shinkaruk was. Literally like 2 weeks later they were dealt for either :laugh:

When you are dealing with Dim Jim you are probably winning the trade

Jet Walters

May 15, 2013
This, but if on the 1 in 1 million chance we have a legit shot at landing burns at the deadline I'd do it, only if management thought they would have a good chance at resigning him in the offseason as well. Burns would instantly turn us into a contender

I doubt Burns moves unless SJ is completely out of the playoff picture which seems unlikely. It really wouldn't be worth forking over multiple high value assets when you could get him for nothing July 1. Also I believe Burns has a very strict NTC (I heard a 2 team list) so it's not like a team trading for him will have many competing offers.

Nordic*

Oct 12, 2006
Tellus
Wonder what kind of player Edmonton could get back if they packed Eberle + 1st 2017.

Kreider + 2nd?

Kreider would probably be perfect with McD, since he brings both speed, size, grit along with a great shot.

And he's not a floater defensively either.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad