Rumor: Rumours and Proposals | Aston-Reese Signs with PIT

Status
Not open for further replies.

Canovin

1% is the new 11.5%
Oct 27, 2010
The Oilers should make a trade for Nikita Gusev. Finally get our sniper. Who knows, maybe the following year we could lure Kovalchuk

Trafalgar Sadge Law

Nov 8, 2007
Zach Aston-Reese Oilers avatar

UwMSY7A.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/UwMSY7A.jpg

You win at life.:laugh:

McDraekke

5-14-6-1
Jan 19, 2006
Edmonton
The Oilers should make a trade for Nikita Gusev. Finally get our sniper. Who knows, maybe the following year we could lure Kovalchuk

Our salary cap definitely would not be able to accommodate Kovalchuk. Not sure if you were serious or not, but that won't happen.

McGhostbuster

Who ya gonna call?
Apr 30, 2007
Edmonton
Our salary cap definitely would not be able to accommodate Kovalchuk. Not sure if you were serious or not, but that won't happen.

Kovalchuk could always come back on a Radulov type deal to re-establish himself.

Also can't see many teams offering up long term deals either.

One can dream anyways.

Aceboogie

Aug 25, 2012
Sucks about Reese but atleast hes going to the East. As far as people getting on posters for being wrong, people forget that in the world of negotiations things can change in a heartbeat. Kid could have been 99% set on coming to Edmonton but at last second Pittsburgh offered him more or all that he wanted. Who knows :dunno: What was assumed one day could be junk the next day. Even the most respected insiders are routinely wrong with predictions or "insider" info.

I dont think any poster has much to gain by faking having insider info or connections. Especially not on a teams individual board. So I consider most of what is said as gossip and rumors to be somewhat true

Canovin

1% is the new 11.5%
Oct 27, 2010

If Kovy ever comes back, it's to win a Stanley Cup then head back home. I definitely could see him taking a discount with the Oilers

hallhopkinseberle

Jul 14, 2007
london
Sucks about Reese but atleast hes going to the East. As far as people getting on posters for being wrong, people forget that in the world of negotiations things can change in a heartbeat. Kid could have been 99% set on coming to Edmonton but at last second Pittsburgh offered him more or all that he wanted. Who knows :dunno: What was assumed one day could be junk the next day. Even the most respected insiders are routinely wrong with predictions or "insider" info.

I dont think any poster has much to gain by faking having insider info or connections. Especially not on a teams individual board. So I consider most of what is said as gossip and rumors to be somewhat true

this is part of the reason why i don't **** on eklund anymore.

Paralyzer

Hyman >>> Matthews
Sep 29, 2006
Somewhere Up North

YOUR WRONG! I BURN THOSE POSTERS AT THE STAKE! THEY DESERVE TO BE BURNED AND HUNG FOR THEIR DISHONESTY! :sarcasm:

I take anything with a grain of salt so I'm not worried if it doesn't come true.

Raab

Oct 6, 2007
Kovalchuk could always come back on a Radulov type deal to re-establish himself.

Also can't see many teams offering up long term deals either.

One can dream anyways.

If Kovalchuk comes back I believe he has to go to NJ or go through waivers because of how he retired.

CaptainSexyPants

Sep 27, 2012

Agreed. If you're a regular poster there's nothing to be gained by faking that stuff.

Hope nobody is legitimately giving McDuul a hard time. Actual rumours in the rumours thread is never a bad thing...and I'll take one from a guy with 500 posts (nevermind 5,000+) over some parents-basement rumour blog guy any day.

Jeff Lebowski

Jan 12, 2008

Could be that Pittsburg used Justin Schultz as an example of bad development by the Oilers vs what the Penguins have done for him (Even though that's on the Oilers previous regime, not Chiarelli). You never know, but I'm sure it was used as a negotiation tactic by Pittsburg. They probably even had Justin talk to him.

North

Jun 25, 2009
Could be that Pittsburg used Justin Schultz as an example of bad development by the Oilers vs what the Penguins have done for him (Even though that's on the Oilers previous regime, not Chiarelli). You never know, but I'm sure it was used as a negotiation tactic by Pittsburg. They probably even had Justin talk to him.

Someone in another thread mentioned his father lives in or is from Pittsburgh. Could be as simple as that.

Matt Benning was his roommate at Northeastern. I'm sure any info he needed about Edmonton he could have received from him.

Aceboogie

Aug 25, 2012
this is part of the reason why i don't **** on eklund anymore.

Eklund is a whole other level. He does have things to gain from his rumours (page clicks). But hnestly I am fine with it too. Id rather have more rumors and info to discuss then less. Even if rumors are a shot in the dark. Its a form of entertainment

Agreed. If you're a regular poster there's nothing to be gained by faking that stuff.

Hope nobody is legitimately giving McDuul a hard time. Actual rumours in the rumours thread is never a bad thing...and I'll take one from a guy with 500 posts (nevermind 5,000+) over some parents-basement rumour blog guy any day.

Agreed. This is a rumour thread, so makes sense to post rumours. Its up to be people how much weight they want to put into rumours. If you take them with 100 certainty then its your fault if you are upset if the rumor doesnt come true

Could be. Although Edmonton signed Cagguila when several big name teams were after him. He probably also talked to his former roomate Benning and saw what Benning was able to do straight out of university. Reese is a Eastern US kid tho and the fact we were even close to getting him should say alot. TBH I think the only reason we had a shot was that we invited him to camp and gave hm some sort of shot at pros. So him reaching out to Edmonton was more of a thank you gesture. I like the fact Chiarelli is dipping into these college UFAs, hopefully he finds another gem somewhere. I do also hope he goes after KHL free agents

Took a pill in Sbisa

2showToffoliIwascool
Apr 23, 2004
Australia
Eklund is a whole other level. He does have things to gain from his rumours (page clicks). But hnestly I am fine with it too. Id rather have more rumors and info to discuss then less. Even if rumors are a shot in the dark. Its a form of entertainment

Agreed. This is a rumour thread, so makes sense to post rumours. Its up to be people how much weight they want to put into rumours. If you take them with 100 certainty then its your fault if you are upset if the rumor doesnt come true

Could be. Although Edmonton signed Cagguila when several big name teams were after him. He probably also talked to his former roomate Benning and saw what Benning was able to do straight out of university. Reese is a Eastern US kid tho and the fact we were even close to getting him should say alot. TBH I think the only reason we had a shot was that we invited him to camp and gave hm some sort of shot at pros. So him reaching out to Edmonton was more of a thank you gesture. I like the fact Chiarelli is dipping into these college UFAs, hopefully he finds another gem somewhere. I do also hope he goes after KHL free agents

Is it actually considered a rumour though if it's just made up? Or is that speculation?

Aceboogie

Aug 25, 2012
Is it actually considered a rumour though if it's just made up? Or is that speculation?

Hard to know the difference. Speculation if lack of insight but gut feeling. Rumor if heard from some source and just passing it along

Although one persons speculation becomes another rumour. This is the chain of events for nearly every insider today, including Bob Mac. Well trusted reporter covering a certain team speculates a trade, texts that to Bob or Lebrun. To those guys its a legit rumour since it came from a connected person

MoneyGuy

Wandering
Oct 19, 2009
YOUR WRONG! I BURN THOSE POSTERS AT THE STAKE! THEY DESERVE TO BE BURNED AND HUNG FOR THEIR DISHONESTY! :sarcasm:

I take anything with a grain of salt so I'm not worried if it doesn't come true.

You should be reviled and burned at the stake for your grammar. :laugh:

stoff

Apr 19, 2007
Hey guys so Peter Chiarelli and Bill Scott were at the law school here in Edmonton today giving a speech and a few tidbits were dropped. None were earth shattering but interesting nonetheless:

- Chiarelli said the Davidson trade wasn't motivated by the expansion draft and was more about dealing from a position of surplus to acquire a need
- Both said the expansion draft hasn't affected their plans or even the league in as big a fashion as the media is portraying. Basically said every team knows they are going to lose a guy so it doesn't really matter.
- Also revealed that they will be using a 7-3-1 format for the expansion draft. Didn't say it directly but admitted that Davidson would have been exposed since they can only protect 3 dmen
- Said the Yakupov trade was made to clear salary for the Russell signing. Admitted he didn't like the return he got for Yakupov but needed to make the deal as Russell was close to signing with another club.
- Also said there were 3-4 teams interested in Yak and the other serious offer came from a veteran GM.
- Seemed concerned with their bonus overages this year and brought it up a few times
- Downplayed McPhee's statement that there would be an auction once the lists are generated for Vegas. He doesn't think there will be much action surrounding their picks.

Like I said it was nothing exceptional but a few things revealed.

Last edited:

McAsuno

Jul 10, 2013
Edmonton
Hey guys so Peter Chiarelli and Bill Scott were at the law school here in Edmonton today giving a speech and a few tidbits were dropped. None were earth shattering but interesting nonetheless:

- Chiarelli said the Davidson trade wasn't motivated by the expansion draft and was more about dealing from a position of surplus to acquire a need
- Both said the expansion draft hasn't affected their plans or even the league in as big a fashion as the media is portraying. Basically said every team knows they are going to lose a guy so it doesn't really matter.
- Also revealed that they will be using a 7-3-1 format for the expansion draft. Didn't say it directly but admitted that Davidson would have been exposed since they can only protect 3 dmen
- Said the Yakupov trade was made to clear salary for the Russell signing. Admitted he didn't like the return he got for Yakupov but needed to make the deal as Russell was close to signing with another club.
- Also said there were 3-4 teams interested in Yak and the other serious offer came from a veteran GM.
- Seemed concerned with their bonus overages this year and brought it up a few times
- Downplayed McPhee's statement that there would be an auction once the lists are generated for Vegas. He doesn't think there will be much action surrounding their picks.

Anyways like it said it was nothing exceptional but a few things revealed.

Interesting. Thanks for the news :handclap:

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009

I think it was Lebrun who had an article yesterday and brought up the issue about the lists.

At this point no decision has been made to how they are going to handle team's lists. First talked about was if they get released to the media. Lebrun said fans would love to see this, but they might not get release to the media. This wasn't really earth shattering news. What was a bit interesting was that they might not release the lists among GM's and that GMGM will be the only one with direct knowledge. It was also brought up that the PA hasn't weighed in yet either.

Sounds like GM's are split. One reason is if you don't protect a guy GM's are worried that if you try trade this player later that you'll get nothing in return.

Jimmi McJenkins

Sometimes miracles
Jan 12, 2006
Alberta
I think it was Lebrun who had an article yesterday and brought up the issue about the lists.

At this point no decision has been made to how they are going to handle team's lists. First talked about was if they get released to the media. Lebrun said fans would love to see this, but they might not get release to the media. This wasn't really earth shattering news. What was a bit interesting was that they might not release the lists among GM's and that GMGM will be the only one with direct knowledge. It was also brought up that the PA hasn't weighed in yet either.

Sounds like GM's are split. One reason is if you don't protect a guy GM's are worried that if you try trade this player later that you'll get nothing in return.

Too bad for them?

Canovin

1% is the new 11.5%
Oct 27, 2010

Like I said it was nothing exceptional but a few things revealed.

Trading Davidson wasn't the part of the 7-3-1 plan? Then why not trade a late pick for Desharnais and expose Davidson to the expansion? Instead of losing another player.

stoff

Apr 19, 2007
Trading Davidson wasn't the part of the 7-3-1 plan? Then why not trade a late pick for Desharnais and expose Davidson to the expansion? Instead of losing another player?

I didn't buy it myself but this is what he said. I think expansion exposure was more important than they let on, but for whatever reason didn't want to admit it.

McDraekke

5-14-6-1
Jan 19, 2006
Edmonton
Trading Davidson wasn't the part of the 7-3-1 plan? Then why not trade a late pick for Desharnais and expose Davidson to the expansion? Instead of losing another player.

Of course someone would use this as ammo against Chia.

Multiple reasons why:

- Chia thinks of Davidson as redundant with our D prospects
- Chia values the pick that Montreal would have wanted over Davidson
- Montreal didn't want a pick
- Montreal specifically asked for Davidson, and Chia was OK with the value to get a 3C that we desperately needed (kinda goes hand in hand with the first point though)

At the end of the day, Davidson wasn't in our long term plans, and we needed to address the 3C. Not sure why you're worried about it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad