Rumour, Trade & Free Agent Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

nobody imp0rtant

Registered pessimist
May 23, 2018
There are some obvious ones that happen at the deadline. But apart from that I don't think I've ever called an actual trade happening.

I think deadline trades are obvious in the sense they know a particular player will almost certainly be traded, but the where and for whom are pretty hard to predict. It's almost like the opposite of Field of Dreams. If you predict it, it won't come (to pass). Corollary: If there is a trade you absolutely don't want to see happen, predicting it will prevent it. :nod:

Daximus

Wow, what a terrific audience.
Sponsor
Oct 11, 2014
Five Hills
I think deadline trades are obvious in the sense they know a particular player will almost certainly be traded, but the where and for whom are pretty hard to predict. It's almost like the opposite of Field of Dreams. If you predict it, it won't come (to pass). Corollary: If there is a trade you absolutely don't want to see happen, predicting it will prevent it. :nod:

Sometimes it's pretty easy to tell where some guys will end up but the return is usually either a lot more or a lot less than predicted.

Jetsfan79

Jul 12, 2011
Winnipeg, MB
Here is how the Jets should approach the trade deadline day IMO:

Within 3 points plus or minus of a playoff spot - stand pat

4 points or more inside the play offs - depth add(s) or stand pat

4 points or more out of the playoffs- mild sellers or stand pat

Last edited:

BigZ65

Feb 2, 2010
Winnipeg
Here is how the Jets should approach the trade deadline day IMO:

Within 3 points plus or minus of a playoff spot - stand pat

4 points or more inside the play offs - depth add(s) or stand pat

4 points or more out of the playoffs- mild sellers or stand pat

With all due respect, if they are making decisions based on plus or minus 7 points in the standings today they are incompetent. If the goal is ultimately building a contender and winning the Stanley Cup they'll be in the middle of a ton of different conversations to add guys with term, move guys with term, perhaps pick up a cap dump off someone else to grab an asset or two. That doesn't mean they pull the trigger on anything, that will depend on the cost and what is available. How the team plays in the next week has nothing to do with the goal of being a contender in terms of navigating the trade market.

voyageur

Hockey fanatic
Jul 10, 2011
And Kulikov "likely not going anywhere." Kulikov should be auctioned at the deadline, he's not a part of the long-term plan and barely useful right now, expiring deal.

This team was worse without Kulikov. I'd have Poolman and Niku battling to play with Morrissey. If you add Samberg just before or at the playoffs, you might have your game changer, a #3 defenseman.

Even at forward, I am not sure what to add. If we made the playoffs, a 4th line of Perreault, Lowry and Shore would be pretty decent. You have Chibisov, Gus, Bourque, and Shaw in reserve.

I would stand pat, give a core that has 2 consecutive playoff battles under their belt another chance to get back, and make their mark.

I think the Hayes trade was a lesson in thinking that adding from the outside is better. We also lost a 7th for a player that never even played a game. I am not sure that we can afford to add another Stastny like impact player.

One thing that is pretty clear is subtraction adds nothing immediately.

voyageur

Hockey fanatic
Jul 10, 2011
Here's my deadline proposal. Darren Helm and Madison Bowey to the Jets. Detroit takes back Michael Spacek and we give up a 4th rd pick.

Then I send Logan Shaw and Sami Niku to the minors.

Helm is exactly the kind of player we need. A defensive ace, can play on any line, especially the bottom lines. Can take a regular shift on the PK, and take draws. Maybe we work towards a 4th line of Helm-Lowry-Shore that Maurice can confidently matchup in shutdown situations.

Bowey would be a guy who probably fills the 8 slot, but could possibly pair up with Morrissey, having chemistry going back to the Rockets. Would give more RH options to Maurice, so that we are not stuck playing too many players on their weakside.

Maybe send Niku down because being in the pressbox isn't all that helpful for development. Niku could get the opportunity to get the Moose into the Calder playoffs, and get a lot of minutes and regular reps on the PP. Travel with Vesalainen.

Acquire Dale Weise for the Moose, for Luke Green

With Shaw down you can run

Vesalainen-Shaw-Griffith (a legitimate AHL scoring line)
Weise-Gustafsson-Lipon
Mc Kenzie-Suess-Poirier
Pedersen-Maier-

Niku-Kovacevic
Stanley-Nogier
Schilling-Gawanke

3 Manitoban homegrown players to help down the stretch.

10Ducky10

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 5, 2015
Here's my deadline proposal. Darren Helm and Madison Bowey to the Jets. Detroit takes back Michael Spacek and we give up a 4th rd pick.

Then I send Logan Shaw and Sami Niku to the minors.

Helm is exactly the kind of player we need. A defensive ace, can play on any line, especially the bottom lines. Can take a regular shift on the PK, and take draws. Maybe we work towards a 4th line of Helm-Lowry-Shore that Maurice can confidently matchup in shutdown situations.

Bowey would be a guy who probably fills the 8 slot, but could possibly pair up with Morrissey, having chemistry going back to the Rockets. Would give more RH options to Maurice, so that we are not stuck playing too many players on their weakside.

Maybe send Niku down because being in the pressbox isn't all that helpful for development. Niku could get the opportunity to get the Moose into the Calder playoffs, and get a lot of minutes and regular reps on the PP. Travel with Vesalainen.

Acquire Dale Weise for the Moose, for Luke Green

With Shaw down you can run

Vesalainen-Shaw-Griffith (a legitimate AHL scoring line)
Weise-Gustafsson-Lipon
Mc Kenzie-Suess-Poirier
Pedersen-Maier-

Niku-Kovacevic
Stanley-Nogier
Schilling-Gawanke

3 Manitoban homegrown players to help down the stretch.
Bowey a #8 D man or 1st pairing?

Reactions: Gil Fisher

voyageur

Hockey fanatic
Jul 10, 2011
Bowey a #8 D man or 1st pairing?

I'd say Pionk's is the top pairing. But yeah, just another plug. of which I think Poolman is the best option. Hopefully he finds his rythym. Until Samberg comes. The Jets will have assets on defense starting next year. If Bowey can plug that existing hole, on the right side, a little, it helps. If he can communicate well with Morrissey, he's the right kind of fit as a bigger defenseman. Niku really suffers from not being a legitimate PKer, with Morrissey banged up and Pionk being our most valuable offensive player. Bowey has been getting a lot more ice time than Niku has, so I would say he could supplant him. probably a better option than Niku if we had to hand out top 4 minutes. Since the Jets are getting solid minutes out of their bottom pairing. But other than Sbisa, I would say that the weakness of all the Jets LHD playing their offside is being dragged out of position, overplaying to protect the outside. I'm also on record as a homer, and it would be nice to see a local kid maybe play above his head, because he is playing in hometown.

Regardless if I am Chevy I am fishing for fillers, not big fish. That's the offseason move.

Reactions: hn777
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad