Rumour, Trade & Free Agent Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Duke749

Savannah Ghost Pirates
Apr 6, 2010
Canton, Georgia
Rumor is Florida wants to run Trocheck out of town. Rather, rumor is he's available, the fanbase is eager to lose him.

26, signed for 2 more years, centre, has cracked 70 points before.

Think they want D. Think it would cost one of our better D prospects as we clearly have no one on the roster we could move. Well, maybe Niku but there’s gotta be an add with him on that. Doubt they’d look at hime.

Bob E

Aug 20, 2011
Winnerpeg
Is Stutzle a C?
Zary is probably available. I will take him over any of the Dmen. It would be foolish to ignore C in order for our D corps to get bigger. There are lots of bigger Dmen around.

If Maurice likes his big Dmen so much he can start next season with Stanley and Kovacevic in the lineup.
Big D that can play in the NHL. That leaves Stanley and Kovacevic on the outside looking in.

Stutzle is projected as a C. Plays wing now against men as a teenager. My prediction is he gets drafted 3rd, by Detroit. Couple of teams leapfrog them to pick #1 and #2.

Bob E

Aug 20, 2011
Winnerpeg
Think they want D. Think it would cost one of our better D prospects as we clearly have no one on the roster we could move. Well, maybe Niku but there’s gotta be an add with him on that. Doubt they’d look at hime.
Ya I don’t think we are trading partners, unless Jets include a good roster d like Morrissey or Pionk in a deal, or a good prospect like Heinola or Samberg is included. Too much for Jets to give up.

Now I’m wondering if both the Panthers and Jets miss the playoffs, would a bigger deal between the two teams change the fortunes of both. A deal involving Scheifele and Barkov as principles, with pieces added to make it work.

Both are ppg C’s. Scheifele is signed for 4 more years at a price a shade over Barkov. Barkov is the better all round player but, is signed for only 2 more years. Are Panthers willing to pay Barkov $9.5-$10.5M in 2 years, with Bob making $10M? Would the Jets? With Laine likely making similar dollars? Would Scheifele+Lowry for Barkov be enticing for Panthers?

Now would Barkov resign with Jets? Well, if he plays with Laine, that may be reason enough to sign. And to make the $ work, Wheeler is moved before the Barkov extension. But next year:

Connor-Barkov-Laine
Ehlers-Little-Wheeler
KVes-Copp-Roslovic
Harkins-Gus-Appleton

VictoriaJetsFan

Mar 24, 2013
Ya I don’t think we are trading partners, unless Jets include a good roster d like Morrissey or Pionk in a deal, or a good prospect like Heinola or Samberg is included. Too much for Jets to give up.

Now I’m wondering if both the Panthers and Jets miss the playoffs, would a bigger deal between the two teams change the fortunes of both. A deal involving Scheifele and Barkov as principles, with pieces added to make it work.

Both are ppg C’s. Scheifele is signed for 4 more years at a price a shade over Barkov. Barkov is the better all round player but, is signed for only 2 more years. Are Panthers willing to pay Barkov $9.5-$10.5M in 2 years, with Bob making $10M? Would the Jets? With Laine likely making similar dollars? Would Scheifele+Lowry for Barkov be enticing for Panthers?

Now would Barkov resign with Jets? Well, if he plays with Laine, that may be reason enough to sign. And to make the $ work, Wheeler is moved before the Barkov extension. But next year:

Connor-Barkov-Laine
Ehlers-Little-Wheeler
KVes-Copp-Roslovic
Harkins-Gus-Appleton

I give you big time points for creativity. Barkov has expressed frustration at the lack of fan support in Florida...we have that..

VictoriaJetsFan

Mar 24, 2013
Maybe we can package Schiefele and Wheeler together...I so despise how they play in their own zone....selfish players ....I find them harder to like as each game goes by.

Reactions: nobody imp0rtant

jgimp

Sep 18, 2017
Ripley, Ont
Throwing this out there to see what the response is, but with Buff soon to be off the books and Littles career in limbo possibly long term LTIR, what would be the chances of us picking up some short term cap players (Marc Staal or Backes, each have one year after this) for an additional 1st this year? I would love to see the jets have 2 1sts this year. Rangers are in a bit of a cap he’ll and won’t be able to re-sign ADA as it sits now, Boston needs some space to make some TDL acquisitions and there are some other teams that could do some maneuvering as well but I think that would be a good way to restock the cupboards a bit. I would rather see a move like this than for chev to go out shopping for another failed run.

Teemusalami204

Jul 30, 2014
Winnipeg
Throwing this out there to see what the response is, but with Buff soon to be off the books and Littles career in limbo possibly long term LTIR, what would be the chances of us picking up some short term cap players (Marc Staal or Backes, each have one year after this) for an additional 1st this year? I would love to see the jets have 2 1sts this year. Rangers are in a bit of a cap he’ll and won’t be able to re-sign ADA as it sits now, Boston needs some space to make some TDL acquisitions and there are some other teams that could do some maneuvering as well but I think that would be a good way to restock the cupboards a bit. I would rather see a move like this than for chev to go out shopping for another failed run.

I mentioned this in another post.

We have been a bubble team a few times and Chevy never did this.

I think the money saved is worth more thrn the picks we would acquire.

Gil Fisher

Mar 18, 2012
Winnipeg
I'm fine with 55-26-9-17/19 up the middle for a year or two. I think i would look hard at capitalizing on Colorado's open window by getting Bowen AND Newhook.

I'd trade Connor or Ehlers with an add (2020 2nd, or 2nd tier prospect like Gawanke or Kovy).

I think it's a deal that could get done if the Jets were game. Not sure if it's cap compliant next year for Avs though.

Teemusalami204

Jul 30, 2014
Winnipeg
I'm fine with 55-26-9-17/19 up the middle for a year or two. I think i would look hard at capitalizing on Colorado's open window by getting Bowen AND Newhook.

I'd trade Connor or Ehlers with an add (2020 2nd, or 2nd tier prospect like Gawanke or Kovy).

I think it's a deal that could get done if the Jets were game. Not sure if it's cap compliant next year for Avs though.

I would swap 18 and 26 next year , makes the post more realistic

Bob E

Aug 20, 2011
Winnerpeg
Doesn’t sound like Mo wants Wheeler at C much longer, prefers his size and forechecking on wing. Wants to go with Ehlers-Copp-Wheeler for awhile.

So that means 2C is a high priority once again.

scelaton

Jul 5, 2012
A few thoughts:
1) All this talk about trading Conner is absurd to me. He is the second highest goal-scoring LW in the entire league, just behind Ovi. With a long term contact just over $7M and the potential to score 40+ goals multiple times, he is a keeper. He will learn to play better defensively over time.
2) The Jets value character and long-term commitment, paired with talent. Their core thus consists of Scheif, Ehlers, Wheeler, Connor and Morrissey. Laine is not on the list until he signs long-term with the team at an appropriate AAV. If he doesn't, put him on the list for a potential blockbuster trade.
3) They only other forward I would consider as potentially core is Copp. I'd try hard to sign him long-term in the off-season at > double his current AAV and offer him a letter. He is a better option at 3C than Lowry.
4) Now I start getting unpopular. I simply don't see this team making the playoffs this year, especially now that Buff and Little are done for the year. Our defense is just not playoff worthy and would never take us past the first round even if we got in.
5)As such, I would conduct myself appropriately at the trade deadline. Get rid of any combination of Kuli, Perreault, Roslo or other non-core player, and plan to re-tool for next year.
6) Without Buff, Kuli and Perreault we free ~ $16M of cap space, and are only a #1 RD away from contention, considering our pipeline and very young core. The cap $$ allows us to consider trades and FA. BTW, the FA market will become less expensive as teams devote more cap to young RFAs.
7) For now, look at teams that are on the cusp of the playoffs, have a short-term winning horizon and may have a great defenseman that can't help them win this year. An example is Columbus, who have lost Seth Jones for the season and just lost a top-6 RW to injury. What combination of Roslovic, Finnish (or finished) players and draft choices would it take and what would we ask for in return? The options are endless when you come to terms with the limits of our team this year.

Reactions: mondo3

Gil Fisher

Mar 18, 2012
Winnipeg
Doesn’t sound like Mo wants Wheeler at C much longer, prefers his size and forechecking on wing. Wants to go with Ehlers-Copp-Wheeler for awhile.

So that means 2C is a high priority once again.

Not sure about "high priority" because that sounds like Copp is 2C for the foreseeable future. This is setting us up for 55-9-17-21 down the middle for the rest of the season. Likely somethkng to revisit in the summer. I doubt Wheeler is out of the picture though.

Whileee

May 29, 2010
Not sure about "high priority" because that sounds like Copp is 2C for the foreseeable future. This is setting us up for 55-9-17-21 down the middle for the rest of the season. Likely somethkng to revisit in the summer. I doubt Wheeler is out of the picture though.
I've been suggesting Copp at 2C since the offseason. He'll lack some offense, but he's improving in that area. He's really strong defensively.

He exceeds Granlund and Seguin in 5v5 points/60 this season, so he might be okay with Ehlers and Wheeler on the wings.

Reactions: hn777

untouchable21

I am not the guy you want to be wrong about.
Aug 12, 2007
The Outer Limits.

This very thought has crossed my mind as well. Interesting and thought provoking that’s for sure.

Mortimer Snerd

You kids get off my lawn!
Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014

Avs could manage the cap. But they don't need wingers. Really, they don't need much of anything. :(
But if they have a need it would be C and then D. I don't see a fit.

Keystone

Apr 30, 2011
Manitoba
I see Jayce Hawerluk on waivers. I know a lot of guys don’t like the whole homegrown thing, but he would be an upgrade on the forth line to me. Maybe the waiver thing will a bit of a wake up in terms of some penalties he tends to take and he can become a bit of an agitator we could use.

Bob E

Aug 20, 2011
Winnerpeg
I've been suggesting Copp at 2C since the offseason. He'll lack some offense, but he's improving in that area. He's really strong defensively.

He exceeds Granlund and Seguin in 5v5 points/60 this season, so he might be okay with Ehlers and Wheeler on the wings.
I think that line could struggle offensively with Copp at 2C longer term. But I’m not advocating moving assets for a temp fix this season either.

Bob E

Aug 20, 2011
Winnerpeg
Thinking beyond this year.

Mortimer Snerd

You kids get off my lawn!
Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
Heard FLA is shopping Trocheck? he any good anymore?

His career scoring rate is 54 pts/82. This year he is scoring at a 51 pt pace. Of course his career pace includes his first couple of seasons when the pace was a little lower. But it also includes his outlier high season in '18. So I think he is just slightly under a typical season for him. How is his defensive game? What would Fla want for him?

Neuf

Leaving HFBoards for now
Dec 17, 2016
Wheeler probably back to wing soon, Little might be done, Lowry isn't as good as 2 years ago. Jets should run Roslovic at 2C until the deadline. Either he can play the position or they can trade him as a winger at the deadline. But either way it's bleak. The gap from Schiefele to Copp is enormous.

Reactions: Jets 31

Heldig

Apr 12, 2002
BC

Still think Ehlers and Connor should swap positions.

Ehlers - Scheifele - Laine
Connor - (Copp) - Wheeler

Prefer Copp as the 3 C...but there are not many options on the Jets. Perhaps Roslovic for Trochek?

Reactions: Mortimer Snerd

WPGChief

May 25, 2017
Winnipeg
jetsnation.ca
As much as I'd like to see something between Jets and Florida re: Trocheck, I don't see it happening unless they've been going about it quietly. I think FLA has only been in town once for scouting and it was for the Ottawa game.

If Jets are truly committed to winning now with Maurice and Wheeler, Trocheck could be good fit for the interim and could probably be convinced to stay past his current deal's expiry. IIRC from a few interviews, he has a lot of respect for the team. He'd essentially replace Little as the 2C and probably brings the same things to the table that Little was doing about 2-3 years ago. It's not a significant acquisition but it would stabilize the window, probably.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad