Speculation: Rumour, Trade, and Free Agent Speculation 2017-18

Status
Not open for further replies.

Daximus

Wow, what a terrific audience.
Sponsor
Oct 11, 2014
Five Hills
Not interested in dealing away multiple pieces of our young core for EK. And then having to give him a huge deal on top of that.

Then don't.

Offer up Trouba, a 1st, Petan and Stanley. If someone tops that, great all the power to them. If the Sens like it. Sweet we just walked away with the best defencemen in the league.

tbcwpg

Jan 25, 2011
With the expected rise in cap we could likely afford him. We'd have an expensive D so it would be wise to move Buff.

Moving buff is easier said than done. I don't think it would fit. If we could swing it then sure. I think his struggles this year are related to his off-season surgery.

Hunter368

RIP lomiller1, see you in the next life buddy.
Nov 8, 2011
Not interested in dealing away multiple pieces of our young core for EK. And then having to give him a huge deal on top of that.

Agreed

Boggles my mind anyone would even consider giving up anything of value for 1.5 yrs of EK. Blows my mind anyone would blow resources on a short term benefit while knowingly hurting us long term. Pieces being discussed by various Jets fans have been our numerous bottom six players, Myers, Ehlers, Laine, Mark S, and other core pieces.

I’m ok with giving up bottom six guy and a 1st but no way that lands you EK. But giving up core pieces and 1st rd picks and Jack etc is crazy talk.

Love to have someone explain to me why they would give up key/high value pieces for a 1.5 yr rental.

Mortimer Snerd

You kids get off my lawn!
Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
Then don't.

Offer up Trouba, a 1st, Petan and Stanley. If someone tops that, great all the power to them. If the Sens like it. Sweet we just walked away with the best defencemen in the league.

Trouba's trade value is likely down right now but he will still fetch a nice return next off-season - or sign a reasonable cost contract. If he starts playing more like last year his value rebounds.

If we could sign EK first I'd still do that but we can't now and won't be able to later if he refuses Winnipeg. It is possible that he would come here if he likes the roster. If he would accept a trade then he might also sign here - for a lot of $$$.

Pretty sure that after July 1 some other team will offer quite a bit more for a signed EK.

So many factors against this that I think the whole discussion is moot.

KingBogo

Admitted Homer
Nov 29, 2011
Winnipeg
Then don't.

How about this thought experiment. Make the exact trade Dax suggests. EK if he is anywhere near what he was last season automatically makes us a cup contender. Man would a long playoff run be fun. Come July 1st he either re-signs or he gets put on the open market to the highest bidder. You give all teams the right to talk contract with him as they would now be in a position to trade and sign. But for that right the Jets get back at least equal value to the original trade.

Huffer

Jul 16, 2010
Then don't.

That's fine, but others are saying names like Scheifele, Ehlers, and Laine. That's a big difference than offering Trouba, a 1st and a couple of extras. I still don't even like that as I think it's too much, but I agree with KBs suggestion of trading him in the summer if we couldn't get him signed and recoup some of the costs.

All in all, I find people's expectations of a return for an unsigned Karlsson to be unrealistic.

Daximus

Sponsor
Oct 11, 2014
Five Hills
Agreed

Boggles my mind anyone would even consider giving up anything of value for 1.5 yrs of EK. Blows my mind anyone would blow resources on a short term benefit while knowingly hurting us long term. Pieces being discussed by various Jets fans have been our numerous bottom six players, Myers, Ehlers, Laine, Mark S, and other core pieces.

I’m ok with giving up bottom six guy and a 1st but no way that lands you EK. But giving up core pieces and 1st rd picks and Jack etc is crazy talk.

Love to have someone explain to me why they would give up key/high value pieces for a 1.5 yr rental.

I haven't seen anyone make that suggestion literally everyone is talking about making an offer in the summer.

That's fine, but others are saying names like Scheifele, Ehlers, and Laine. That's a big difference than offering Trouba, a 1st and a couple of extras. I still don't even like that as I think it's too much, but I agree with KBs suggestion of trading him in the summer if we couldn't get him signed and recoup some of the costs.

All in all, I find people's expectations of a return for an unsigned Karlsson to be unrealistic.

What Sens fans want and what they actually get will be two wildly different things.

Reactions: JetBlue420

Daximus

Sponsor
Oct 11, 2014
Five Hills
How about this thought experiment. Make the exact trade Dax suggests. EK if he is anywhere near what he was last season automatically makes us a cup contender. Man would a long playoff run be fun. Come July 1st he either re-signs or he gets put on the open market to the highest bidder. You give all teams the right to talk contract with him as they would now be in a position to trade and sign. But for that right the Jets get back at least equal value to the original trade.

That's an interesting take. Acquire rental EK for two playoff runs and then ship him OR Buff out to the highest bidder. Options.

Hunter368

RIP lomiller1, see you in the next life buddy.
Nov 8, 2011
I haven't seen anyone make that suggestion literally everyone is talking about making an offer in the summer.

What Sens fans want and what they actually get will be two wildly different things.

Go to main board, some Jets fans even. Crazy

Joe Hallenback

Mar 4, 2005
Lets say you trade for EK without giving up anyone currently on the NHL roster. Would they take a package of Roslovic/Petan/Vesalainen/Stanley + 1st next year for him?

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
Lets say you trade for EK without giving up anyone currently on the NHL roster. Would they take a package of Roslovic/Petan/Vesalainen/Stanley + 1st next year for him?

That completely guts our near NHL ready prospect pool which we will need on ELC's or cheap bridge deals to supplement our expensive contracts in the next few years. Not interested in blowing our wad for a 2 year shot only to drop off after when we are in cap hell and don't have young cheap talent ready to step in.

Reactions: Huffer

Joe Hallenback

Mar 4, 2005
Doubt it. They could probably get better futures packages elsewhere.

Maybe but who? Out west which team would go all in on him anyway? Probably not Nashville or St.Louis. Chicago maybe they don't have cap space. LA is in the same boat. I can't think of anyone who has the prospect pool out west that would be interested anyway. I am sure a team like Edmonton would be interested but it would cost them Poolparty and Yamamoto, there goes there depth.

The east I wouuld think Boston and NYI would be all over it. Both have prospect depth. Toronto too but would Ottawa deal him there? Tampa could offer up a bit as well but jeez I dont want to think about that team with EK. The Devils would be in but they don't have the prospect depth. Washington would be in but they don't have the prospect depth ether.

Joe Hallenback

Mar 4, 2005
That completely guts our near NHL ready prospect pool which we will need on ELC's or cheap bridge deals to supplement our expensive contracts in the next few years. Not interested in blowing our wad for a 2 year shot only to drop off after when we are in cap hell and don't have young cheap talent ready to step in.

Yes it does but if you want to win a cup or 2 sometimes the future favors the bold

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
Yes it does but if you want to win a cup or 2 sometimes the future favors the bold

Sure but this type of move is two years two soon for us imo. We don't have enough PO experience yet to risk something like this yet. We bomb out in round one with Karlson and that puts a heck of a lot of pressure on next summer and season.

Reactions: 10Ducky10

Whileee

May 29, 2010
Sure, but why gut your prospect pipeline to get a player that might not stay beyond next season, and if he does, would be way overpaid down the road. Stick to the process. It's starting to bear fruit.

Reactions: SoCalJetsFan

JetsFan815

Jan 16, 2012

Or you end up with egg on your face like Pierre Dorion and completely handcuffed. The Jets need to be patient, build a perennial playoff team and then wait for beneficial trades to come to them like how Nashville did instead of putting all your chips in and risk become a one and done playoff team. 2 years ago when Hamonic asked for a trade many here were ready to sell the farm for him, many people both here and in the media wanted Jets to go all in on him. Now aren't you glad that the Jets didn't go all in on him 2 years later?

If Jets want a star d-man, listening to Doughty it pretty much sounds like he is testing the market and going to the highest bidder. Maybe Chevy can get Chipman to splurge on Doughty 1.5 years from now without giving up any assets.

Bob E

Aug 20, 2011
Winnerpeg
EK’s heel scares me.

I would rather offer Trouba, Copp, Stanley and 1st for Doughty.

And look to sign him long term. I have better feeling about a 8 year, $9.5 mill deal with Doughty than I do for EK.

Bob E

Aug 20, 2011
Winnerpeg

Pretty RH heavy.

EK, Buff, Trouba, Myers and Poolman. Would be trading Buff and/or Trouba in offseason. But a long playoff run is enticing.

Whileee

May 29, 2010
Agreed

Agree. If the Jets really lacked a top end core piece like EK, then maybe you have to consider making a bold move, but the Jets are actually quite strong on RD - it might be their strongest position. If the Jets are going to give up substantial futures for any trade, it should be for a high end C that can play below Scheifele and let Little slide down to 3C as he gets older.

KingBogo

Admitted Homer
Nov 29, 2011
Winnipeg
Agree. If the Jets really lacked a top end core piece like EK, then maybe you have to consider making a bold move, but the Jets are actually quite strong on RD - it might be their strongest position. If the Jets are going to give up substantial futures for any trade, it should be for a high end C that can play below Scheifele and let Little slide down to 3C as he gets older.
I just don't see the Jets giving up a substantial futures package at this point of their competitive window. You can barely say they are just starting to open it a small crack. No time to mortgage the future you will need to sustain your time competing. The only player I think might be available for the right price is Trouba if Chevy knows he wants to eventually move on. If you could get a #2 center and a good D prospect for him then maybe we see a deal.

Aavco Cup

"I can make you cry in this room"
Sep 5, 2013
Or you end up with egg on your face like Pierre Dorion and completely handcuffed. The Jets need to be patient, build a perennial playoff team and then wait for beneficial trades to come to them like how Nashville did instead of putting all your chips in and risk become a one and done playoff team. 2 years ago when Hamonic asked for a trade many here were ready to sell the farm for him, many people both here and in the media wanted Jets to go all in on him. Now aren't you glad that the Jets didn't go all in on him 2 years later?

If Jets want a star d-man, listening to Doughty it pretty much sounds like he is testing the market and going to the highest bidder. Maybe Chevy can get Chipman to splurge on Doughty 1.5 years from now without giving up any assets.

I agree

I seriously doubt that Chevy spent the last 6 years drafting and developing assets just to blow it all up just as it appears to be coming together. Why on earth would he do that now?

Karlsson is not on his way to being a Winnipeg Jet. It doesn't make sense.

Maukkis

EZ4ENCE
Mar 16, 2016

This is an excellent post. I agree with it, because...

I agree

I seriously doubt that Chevy spent the last 6 years drafting and developing assets just to blow it all up just as it appears to be coming together. Why on earth would he do that now?

Karlsson is not on his way to being a Winnipeg Jet. It doesn't make sense.

...this. Not much to add, honestly - while Karlsson would be an insane addition to any team's core, I think I'd rather stick to the plan. We have a great young core and a healthy pipeline, and our cap structure is in great shape too. Adding Karlsson would properly mix things up.

Reactions: Huffer

Daximus

Sponsor
Oct 11, 2014
Five Hills
I think trading Buff is the option you take if EK is acquired in the summer with an 8 year extension tacked on. EK is 5 years younger than Buff. That opens our window by 5 years. There are 30 other GMs that would be lining up to acquire Buff of course only 16 teams would be on his no trade list. But those 16 teams would all love to add Buff. He makes GMs salivate.
We'd become instant contenders and would be for years to come. Even half of Karlsson is better production than any D we have. Even with an ankle injury he's still a better skater than all of our D.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad