Speculation: Rumour, Trade, and Free Agent Speculation 2017-18

Status
Not open for further replies.

Aavco Cup

"I can make you cry in this room"
Sep 5, 2013
That's not really relevant. He is behind O'Reilly and Eichel at C so he plays a wing in order to get him on the ice more.

Perreault is still listed as a C as is Dano. At what point do players who move to the wing cease being center material?

Mortimer Snerd

You kids get off my lawn!
Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
Perreault is still listed as a C as is Dano. At what point do players who move to the wing cease being center material?

Depends why they were moved. Was Reinhart moved to the wing because he was inadequate at C or because there was too much quality ahead of him?

Aavco Cup

Sep 5, 2013
Depends why they were moved. Was Reinhart moved to the wing because he was inadequate at C or because there was too much quality ahead of him?

Why was Perreault moved? Do you follow Buffalo enough to know why they moved him to wing?

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
After 3 years. :D But seriously, don't you think there's a use it or lose it consideration here?

I do - eventually.
There is a difference though between moving a veteran in his 8th pro season and a 20 YO adapting to the NHL.

I saw Reinhart in 2 WJC's. Not much since then. At that time I saw a good playmaker who set up his wingers well. Not outstandingly fast but not slow either. How good he is at C in the NHL I really don't know but I can see a roadblock ahead of him at C. Not being able to take a C job away from those two at 2o YO does not tell me that he can't play C effectively in the NHL.

I'm not arguing in favour of this trade proposal. A 3C is not at the top of my list of preferred returns for Trouba unless, just possibly as the 2nd piece. But Reinhart can probably be a very good 3C for us.

CaptainChef

Jan 5, 2014
Bedroom Jetsville
I do - eventually.
There is a difference though between moving a veteran in his 8th pro season and a 20 YO adapting to the NHL.

I saw Reinhart in 2 WJC's. Not much since then. At that time I saw a good playmaker who set up his wingers well. Not outstandingly fast but not slow either. How good he is at C in the NHL I really don't know but I can see a roadblock ahead of him at C. Not being able to take a C job away from those two at 2o YO does not tell me that he can't play C effectively in the NHL.

I'm not arguing in favour of this trade proposal. A 3C is not at the top of my list of preferred returns for Trouba unless, just possibly as the 2nd piece. But Reinhart can probably be a very good 3C for us.

Indeed, if it came down to trading Trouba, I'd want good defensive help or defensive prospects to be the primary return(s). A 3C might be an add-on, but certainly is nowhere near our most pressing need now or into the future.

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
The link? None of them play at a high pace / intensity, which is increasingly necessary in the NHL.

Not to disagree but that may apply more to some of them than to others. Its still early days, at least for some of them.
That may also be the knock against Petan when all the votes are in.

ps241

The Ballad of Ville Bobby
Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010
The link? None of them play at a high pace / intensity, which is increasingly necessary in the NHL.

A poster who I have allot of respect for made a good point once. He said skilled junior players need to be able to gain separation in the NHL to translate their talents. The league is so fast and checking is so tight that you need either speed or strength(power) to gain an that same edge. The problem with some guys is they don't have enough of either.

I think Reinhart will be fine but the Stromes might have trouble.

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
A poster who I have allot of respect for made a good point once. He said skilled junior players need to be able to gain separation in the NHL to translate their talents. The league is so fast and checking is so tight that you need either speed or strength(power) to gain an that same edge. The problem with some guys is they don't have enough of either.

Sam Reinhart already is fine, at least at RW. G. Reinhart may never make it. I'm not sure the if 2 older Stromes will turn out the same or will Dylan do better than Ryan? Too soon to say I think.

DashingDane

Dutch boy
Dec 16, 2014
Los Angeles

Wait I'm confused.. Are we talking about Reinharts, Strome or Petan :sarcasm: Also, I agree :nod:

Jetsfan79

Jul 12, 2011
Winnipeg, MB
So is the consensus now we no longer need "a Trouba clone" coming back if we need to trade him? (if he doesnt want to sign here).

ps241

Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010
So is the consensus now we no longer need "a Trouba clone" coming back if we need to trade him? (if he doesnt want to sign here).

Not sure if that was ever anything more than a talking point.Teams that have a Trouba aren’t trading them for the same type of asset coming back. Put it another way if someone came to us and said we will trade you our malcontent young PPG #1 centre for Mark Scheifele what would our answer be? Even if we like the asset why would we bother??

Maukkis

EZ4ENCE
Mar 16, 2016
I'd shoot for a center at this point, if it ever came down to having to trade Trouba. It isn't ideal, but I doubt that situation would be either.

ps241

Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010
I'd shoot for a center at this point, if it ever came down to having to trade Trouba. It isn't ideal, but I doubt that situation would be either.

“If” a trade happens it will be a multiple asset deal from both sides in my opinion. We will want a prized defensive asset of some sort coming back.

GNP

Here Comes the Jets -look out hockey world !!!
Oct 11, 2016
Winnipeg
I'd trade Trouba if the deal was right. I don't think he's the star he thinks he is. What has he shown this year so far ?? - not that much really. He had a good season last year though, so I'd rank him an upper middle type solid defenseman. I think Kulikov may show he's a better or just as good a defenseman as Trouba is.

Teams like Pittsburgh win with average defenseman and way "above" average forwards who are prolific scorers. We have enough offensive defenseman in Buff and Myers.

What I'd like to see the Jet's get for Trouba, is another defenseman like Kulikov, plus a solid center for our 3-rd line that can score. If the Jets can get 2 pieces back that are above average, then I think it be smart to make the deal- especially if management knows Trouba wants out in the long run.

If he does want out, you'll get back a lot less for him down the road, when time is not on your side, and your forced to make a quick deal instead of losing him.

I don't think Trouba is as good as Buff, nor do I think he's worth $ 7.5 mil to $ 8mil like I believe he wants. He's just not proven to be worth that kind of money.

Reactions: JetBlue420

Aavco Cup

Sep 5, 2013

If the Jets ever trade Trouba I doubt the other team would be sending a "clone" back

Trouba has no choice but to sign here or accept a 1 yr arb award. Although he could hold out and go play in Europe with his buddy Mark Stuart

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad