Speculation: Rumour, Trade, and Free Agent Speculation 2017-18

Status
Not open for further replies.

mondo3

Jun 4, 2011
Anaheim
I posted this in the Moose thread but will repeat it here. The Free Press reported that there were 6 or 8 NHL scouts at the last Moose game, and that Chevy, etc were in attendance. Trade in the works?

nobody important

the pessimist returns
Jul 12, 2015
a quiet suburb
I posted this in the Moose thread but will repeat it here. The Free Press reported that there were 6 or 8 NHL scouts at the last Moose game, and that Chevy, etc were in attendance. Trade in the works?

I'm sure scouts attend a lot of AHL games. And there are two teams being watched.

Hunter368

RIP lomiller1, see you in the next life buddy.
Nov 8, 2011

Our bottom 6 is pretty weak/bad, we need help there soon or were not going to be a playoff team. Can't depend on Helle standing on his head every game or Ehlers/Laine scoring 2-3 goals each game.

KingBogo

Admitted Homer
Nov 29, 2011
Winnipeg
Our bottom 6 is pretty weak/bad, we need help there soon or were not going to be a playoff team. Can't depend on Helle standing on his head every game or Ehlers/Laine scoring 2-3 goals each game.
I'd be in the group that doesn't see a whole lot in our bottom 6. Most are over rated IMO. I'll say it over and over again until it actually happens but we need an actual #3 center. Maybe if Connor hits gold and when MP comes back a real #3 center gives us a strong 3rd line. You then have Lowry as your #4 center and let the rest fight it out for the last couple spots on the wings.

JetsFan815

Jan 16, 2012
Except I don't see MP Staal/RNH Armia as a third line...more like a 2B. Like MP Little Laine is a 1B right now .
Staal isn't a 1C on most teams but he is on the Canes, that isn't his fault.
All these proposals for a 3C are missing the point. We already have a guy that can play 3 C. His name is Perreault. The Jets haven't tried him at C since the beginning of last season where he was playing injured and with a green rookie on his wing. I think Perreault is the answer for 3C.

I hate to bring him up again but I think the Jets are really missing a guy like Lee Stempniak who can play on your 3rd line as a stabalizing veteran presence and put up some points. If the youth pushes their way through he can easily slot down to the 4th line. Additionally he kills penalties too (and well). Moreover if your team is decimated by injuries, you could do a lot worse than playing him on your 2nd line. Jets lack a player that is that versatile, I know they are trying to groom Copp into being that guy but he is not there yet,

KingBogo

Admitted Homer
Nov 29, 2011
Winnipeg
All these proposals for a 3C are missing the point. We already have a guy that can play 3 C. His name is Perreault. The Jets haven't tried him at C since the beginning of last season where he was playing injured and with a green rookie on his wing. I think Perreault is the answer for 3C.

I hate to bring him up again but I think the Jets are really missing a guy like Lee Stempniak who can play on your 3rd line as a stabalizing veteran presence and put up some points. If the youth pushes their way through he can easily slot down to the 4th line. Additionally he kills penalties too (and well). Moreover if your team is decimated by injuries, you could do a lot worse than playing him on your 2nd line. Jets lack a player that is that versatile, I know they are trying to groom Copp into being that guy but he is not there yet,
How many times does MP have to say he prefers wing and that he feels like he can be more effective when his game is freed up? He is also on record talking about the additional strain on his back when he has to take face offs.

Hunter368

Nov 8, 2011
I'd be in the group that doesn't see a whole lot in our bottom 6. Most are over rated IMO. I'll say it over and over again until it actually happens but we need an actual #3 center. Maybe if Connor hits gold and when MP comes back a real #3 center gives us a strong 3rd line. You then have Lowry as your #4 center and let the rest fight it out for the last couple spots on the wings.

Agreed, Ive same thing for a long time. Lowry is a 4C nothing more, stop this failed experiment of him as a 3C and PP player. Put Lowry and two best kids/vets on our 4th line who currently play in our bottom 6. Basically i’m saying use our bottom 6, make them into the best 4th line you can and the rest become depth players or trade bait.

Then we need an entire new 3rd line. Connor and maybe Jack might have roles on our 3rd this year, see how it goes. 3rd liners especially one year rentals and older guys aren’t expensive to get. Our bottom 6 is just plain terrible compared to many others and don’t see most of these kids developing fast enough or even into nhl players.

If we promote Connor to the 3rd line, we need two decent 3rd liners which I don’t see in the organization now. Getting two 3rd line players, rentals and/or older players wouldn’t cost much.

Hunter368

Nov 8, 2011
Key is not waiting too long for kids to develop while losing out on valuable points and miss playoffs. But also need (maybe) to wait for other teams to give up on year and make players available. First couple weeks of season everyone thinks they have a playoff shot. Once they realize they don’t more players will become available imo

nobody important

the pessimist returns
Jul 12, 2015
a quiet suburb
How many times does MP have to say he prefers wing and that he feels like he can be more effective when his game is freed up? He is also on record talking about the additional strain on his back when he has to take face offs.

I don't want to get off on a rant here, but...

Jesus Christ MP, you're making millions of dollars a year and you're bitching about having to bend over a few times per game? Try talking to your dentist or hygienist on that topic, see how much sympathy you get. They spend hours a day, five days a week, hunched over patients for a hell of a lot less money. Back problems are a serious issue for them and many have to retire early because they just can't take the pain anymore. f***, I am just getting so sick of whiny, overpaid athletes. And I use the term athlete loosely, because it seems a few can't even get through a game without... um, what's the term, sucking wind? :rant:

/rant

Maukkis

EZ4ENCE
Mar 16, 2016
I don't want to get off on a rant here, but...

Jesus Christ MP, you're making millions of dollars a year and you're *****ing about having to bend over a few times per game? Try talking to your dentist or hygienist on that topic, see how much sympathy you get. They spend hours a day, five days a week, hunched over patients for a hell of a lot less money. Back problems are a serious issue for them and many have to retire early because they just can't take the pain anymore. ****, I am just getting so sick of whiny, overpaid athletes. And I use the term athlete loosely, because it seems a few can't even get through a game without... um, what's the term, sucking wind? :rant:

/rant
I fail to see how these two things are linked.

Mortimer Snerd

You kids get off my lawn!
Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014

I would prefer to see Lowry pushed down but when I look at other 3C's around the league he compares pretty well. I think Lowry is at least adequate. Lets get him some better wingers. MP could be a start. I still think/hope that Armia has more offense in him. I don't know if MP can bring it out or not. Maybe it isn't there.

Longer term I hope to see Lowry at 4C but the problems in our bottom 6 go deeper than just Lowry. A different mindset could produce better results from the same personnel, maybe.

Reactions: DashingDane

Mortimer Snerd

You kids get off my lawn!
Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014

MP is not a C. He doesn't want to be a C. This is like proposing Buff at RW.

We (almost) all agree that letting Stempniak go was a mistake. It is water under the bridge. Getting a guy like him would be great but there aren't many of them around. Copp might be closer than you think. He will be underrated the same way if he is never given a job of his own.

How about a 3rd line of:
MP - Lowry - Copp
Lowry and Copp could switch. Not exactly a scoring line. Not exactly a shutdown line. Has elements of both. Would be strong defensively and able to score a little.

Not sure what that does to the 4th line but:
Don't Care - They Never - Play Anyway
Make it up out of Matthias, Petan, Hendricks, Tanev and Dano.

Reactions: 204hockey

sipowicz

The thrill is gone
Mar 16, 2011
Former Jets defenceman Mark Stuart has signed a one-year deal with Adler Mannheim in Germany. His teammates include goaltender Chet Pickard, a goaltender, and another former Jet, forward Devin Setoguchi.

Jetsfan87

Aug 24, 2015
Ontario
Lets assume/hope that Connor doesnt look out of place with MP out of the lineup. Once he returns if we keep Connor up and roll with something like this

ESW
Connor Little Laine
MP Lowry Armia/Dano/Petan
4th line is some combo of Mathias/Tanev Copp and whoever misses out on 3RW

That looks a bit better. MP can hopefully bring some offense to the 3rd line while still being a good defensive line.

Hunter368

Nov 8, 2011
To-date, I see don’t like the chemistry on our 2nd line. Laine just doesn’t seem to mesh well with MP/Little. Time will tell

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad