Speculation: Rumour, Trade, and Free Agent Speculation 2017-18

Status
Not open for further replies.

KingBogo

Admitted Homer
Nov 29, 2011
Winnipeg
I'm going to tie a few of the posts I saw in my last peruse together:

Myers for AA? I know Myers is a popular trade chip around these parts, but - Jacob Trouba I very much doubt is going to sign here. He's doing his duty but we are either going to have to trade him or lose him to FA as soon as he qualifies. Trading NHL D is not a good idea for us right now, ESPECIALLY for a forward. We're doing pretty well there in the system.

If we traded one of Petan, Army or Dano for AA, I would prefer it be Petan, or Dano. Armia, while not realizing his offensive promise yet has at least molded his play into a useful player. (creates turnovers and takeaways, PK, possession)
Do you think one of Petan, Dano or Armia gets you AA? I'd guess any trade offer would need an add on any of those players.

Reactions: Jet

Jet

Free Capo!
Jul 20, 2004
Florida
Do you think one of Petan, Dano or Armia gets you AA? I'd guess any trade offer would need an add on any of those players.

I am notoriously awful when it comes to trade value BUT I think the Wings need some skill and Petan could be the carrot. That is something that could really work for both players and organizations - a good trade. We get a player more suited to our needs, the Wings get a guy that could help their top 6 skill wise. Maybe we throw in a pick?

KingBogo

Admitted Homer
Nov 29, 2011
Winnipeg
I am notoriously awful when it comes to trade value BUT I think the Wings need some skill and Petan could be the carrot. That is something that could really work for both players and organizations - a good trade. We get a player more suited to our needs, the Wings get a guy that could help their top 6 skill wise. Maybe we throw in a pick?
Maybe, but I don't know if a team would take a flyer on Petan actually being able to reach his potential. Any pro scouts wouldn't have much to go back to management with to make a team comfortable in giving up a young #3 center. Personally I'd go Petan and Dano if you could get AA at a nice long term contract. With Connor and Roslovic in the wings ultimately AA helps make us a better team from top to bottom.

Reactions: Jet

CaptainChef

Jan 5, 2014
Bedroom Jetsville
Maybe, but I don't know if a team would take a flyer on Petan actually being able to reach his potential. Any pro scouts wouldn't have much to go back to management with to make a team comfortable in giving up a young #3 center. Personally I'd go Petan and Dano if you could get AA at a nice long term contract. With Connor and Roslovic in the wings ultimately AA helps make us a better team from top to bottom.
Wait a minute; am I missing something here. A while back his value in trade was pegged as a 2nd rounder and now Petan alone is not enough to do the trade (far from Petan & Dano!)

Gm0ney

Unicorns salient
Oct 12, 2011
Winnipeg
Wait a minute; am I missing something here. A while back his value in trade was pegged as a 2nd rounder and now Petan alone is not enough to do the trade (far from Petan & Dano!)
Yeah it makes little sense. You could say to Detroit, "We'll give you a 2nd round pick" and if they say no you can just offer sheet him. He was reportedly asking for $2.5M and Detroit was unwilling to do that. They would have a week to match but they'd have to bury a lot of cap in the AHL or do a cap-dump trade with some other team.

Mortimer Snerd

You kids get off my lawn!
Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
You'd have to think some kind of cap dump would be coming back...but then what are the chances you're going to be offering up much if you have to take on a bunch of cap?

Offer sheet compensation to Detroit for an AAV of less than $3,925,975 would be a 2nd rounder (or less). So I think that kind of puts an upper limit on his trade value.

So, what is the value of a promising 3C who doesn't yet have much of a resume? 2.5 mil? What has he been offered by DRW? What is he asking for? Would 3mil x 4 years be enough to get his signature on an offersheet? That is probably a bit of an overpay already. What compensation would that cost?

If we haven't offered both Petan and Dano, why not? If we have and DRW hasn't accepted, why not?

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
I know he did it earlier in his career but if he cant do it in NHL there really no point in trying to get him

^This. He is attractive to us a 3C. If he isn't that we have no use for him.

Somewhere I had gotten the impression that he was a good 3C but I don't recall where that came from.

Bob E

Aug 20, 2011
Winnerpeg
With Scheifele, Little, Lowry, Petan and Copp on the roster and Roslovic on the way, I don’t see the need for AA at center anyway, though he played wing.

I’d rather we target a defensive winger that can score and pk over AA.

KingBogo

Admitted Homer
Nov 29, 2011
Winnipeg
At this point you'd be lucky to get the equivalent of Petan's draft position back (mid 2nd), and you'd come no where near Dano's (late 1st). They actually have to be effective NHLers to have much value to other teams.

Reactions: JetBlue420

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
With Scheifele, Little, Lowry, Petan and Copp on the roster and Roslovic on the way, I don’t see the need for AA at center anyway, though he played wing.

I’d rather we target a defensive winger that can score and pk over AA.

AA would be of interest if he was a 3C who could push Lowry down. Otherwise no interest in him. Would not even offersheet him for the 2.5 he is asking for.

KingBogo

Admitted Homer
Nov 29, 2011
Winnipeg
AA would be of interest if he was a 3C who could push Lowry down. Otherwise no interest in him. Would not even offersheet him for the 2.5 he is asking for.
This is my thinking as well. A good young center to slot in at #3 between Little and Lowry is IMO the last real need for this team. Let the rest of the bottom 6 fight it out for spots on the wings.

CaptainChef

Jan 5, 2014
Bedroom Jetsville
So the discussion on the trade boards has swung around to a Buff for Price trade. The price being Buff & Mason & 1st for Price. Yes, he carries one huge contract, but if we can make it work down the road and he puts us over the top, I'd do it. Definitely a world class goalie & will likely remain that through much of his contract. Thoughts

KingBogo

Admitted Homer
Nov 29, 2011
Winnipeg
So the discussion on the trade boards has swung around to a Buff for Price trade. The price being Buff & Mason & 1st for Price. Yes, he carries one huge contract, but if we can make it work down the road and he puts us over the top, I'd do it. Definitely a world class goalie & will likely remain that through much of his contract. Thoughts
It is an interesting thought. That contract though. I think the Habs would need to retain $ to move Price.

csk

Nov 5, 2015
Winnipeg, MB

I would make that trade

DoingItCoolKiwi

May 23, 2017

While the offer is good, 10.5m for the next 8 years is wayy too much. He also has NMC for the full 8 years.

Gm0ney

Unicorns salient
Oct 12, 2011
Winnipeg
While the offer is good, 10.5m for the next 8 years is wayy too much. He also has NMC for the full 8 years.
It's all signing bonuses too - so no chance to buy out and the team is on the hook for most of his salary during any lockout/strike over the term.

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
It is an interesting thought. That contract though. I think the Habs would need to retain $ to move Price.

He will be 31 when that 8 year contract kicks in. He might remain a world beater for 3-4-5 more years, or not. The last 4 years are likely to be bad. It isn't 8 years. It is 9. He is making 7 mil this year under his old contract.

That is getting into a neighbourhood where you would have to take it seriously but I don't think it is realistic from their end. They already have Weber and Petry on the right side. Their need is F's who can score, particularly C's.

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
If Helle keeps playing the way he is we won't have much of a need for Price especially at that salary.

I would be looking at moving Myers for a good 3C plus a prospect and a pick.

Reactions: Evil Little

voyageur

Hockey fanatic
Jul 10, 2011
If Helle keeps playing the way he is we won't have much of a need for Price especially at that salary.

I would be looking at moving Myers for a good 3C plus a prospect and a pick.

For the 1st time in history the Jets have 7 good defenseman. One too many is a nice problem to have. I think we still need RW and PK depth. I want to see Tanev as a replacement forward. With Connor and Lemieux coming I think we are strong on LW. Roslovic adds depth to centre.

I would like to see Petan for Jannik Hansen at some point this season, after Christmas perhaps. Petan is stuck in a rut with the Jets, being surpassed by quicker and stronger players. His career would take off learning from Joe Thornton. Hansen would be a soldier for us, and keep Tanev out of the regular lineup.

Ehlers-Scheif-Wheeler
Perreault-Little-Laine
Connor-Copp-Hansen
Matthias-Lowry-Armia

Is a 4 line team. Tanev as 13. Hendricks 14. Dano for a prospect (Leipsic for the Moose?)

Poolman gets the same 30 games as Connor did, goes down if the team is healthy, stays up if they are not.

Bob E

Aug 20, 2011
Winnerpeg
Does Petan have any trade value at the moment? You’re not getting a legitimate top 9 nhl player for him without adding, IMO.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad