Speculation: Rumour, Trade, and Free Agent Speculation 2017-18

Status
Not open for further replies.

Maukkis

EZ4ENCE
Mar 16, 2016
I’m fully expecting Chevy to try to do a bridge deal with Morrissey.

His brief history on young dmen (guys like Bogo, Trouba, Chiarot) coming out of their ELC have been 2 year bridge deals. Now both Bogo and Trouba were “show me” deals, as bridge deals typically are, though Trouba’s motivation may be different.

If I had to read into that, it seems Chevy wants to really see what he has in a dman before offering the bigger contract for longer term. It also offers the Jets longer team control of the player if they sign a bridge and then a long term deal that moves their UFA status down the road. That seems to be his plan for dmen, where he’s more comfortable going long term with forwards. Though that could also be just coincidence and each negotiation is different.

He might be comfortable going long term with Morrissey, but a 2 year bridge would not surprise me at all.

If he goes long term, and Morrissey builds on last year, then around $5 mill/yr is likely a good ending point.
That's a fair point. There's an added benefit in giving Morrissey a bridge deal - we would gain a chunk of cap space for the next two years, during which Laine gets paaaaaid, as opposed to if we went for a long-term deal.

That being said - LOCK THE DAMN KID UP WHILE YOU CAN. He is the only defenseman of ours who doesn't carry baggage or apparent question marks with him. His services need to be secured for the next eternity.

Whileee

May 29, 2010
That's a fair point. There's an added benefit in giving Morrissey a bridge deal - we would gain a chunk of cap space for the next two years, during which Laine gets paaaaaid, as opposed to if we went for a long-term deal.

That being said - LOCK THE DAMN KID UP WHILE YOU CAN. He is the only defenseman of ours who doesn't carry baggage or apparent question marks with him. His services need to be secured for the next eternity.

A bridge deal just defers the big salary for a couple of years, and Laine will still be under contract. I think that if Morrissey is seen as a core player, then you lock him up for 6-7 years for a lower cap hit, instead of saving some cap for the next couple of seasons and then paying much higher cap for the rest of the deal. 6-7 years at around 5M would be just dandy.

Maukkis

EZ4ENCE
Mar 16, 2016
A bridge deal just defers the big salary for a couple of years, and Laine will still be under contract. I think that if Morrissey is seen as a core player, then you lock him up for 6-7 years for a lower cap hit, instead of saving some cap for the next couple of seasons and then paying much higher cap for the rest of the deal. 6-7 years at around 5M would be just dandy.
Agreed. The only contract that would run out by the time Morrissey would need to get paid even more is Kulikov's, and that is unlikely to matter enough to make Chevy consider bridging Morrissey.

Mortimer Snerd

You kids get off my lawn!
Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
I’m fully expecting Chevy to try to do a bridge deal with Morrissey.

His brief history on young dmen (guys like Bogo, Trouba, Chiarot) coming out of their ELC have been 2 year bridge deals. Now both Bogo and Trouba were “show me” deals, as bridge deals typically are, though Trouba’s motivation may be different.

If I had to read into that, it seems Chevy wants to really see what he has in a dman before offering the bigger contract for longer term. It also offers the Jets longer team control of the player if they sign a bridge and then a long term deal that moves their UFA status down the road. That seems to be his plan for dmen, where he’s more comfortable going long term with forwards. Though that could also be just coincidence and each negotiation is different.

He might be comfortable going long term with Morrissey, but a 2 year bridge would not surprise me at all.

If he goes long term, and Morrissey builds on last year, then around $5 mill/yr is likely a good ending point.

I think that the needs of signing Trouba and Laine (+Wheeler) are going to lead to bridge deals for just about everybody else.

IMO, Morrissey is already better than Matheson, both offensively and defensively, so if it is 8 years he is already at the 5mil level. If he builds on last year it could go higher.

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
Agreed. The only contract that would run out by the time Morrissey would need to get paid even more is Kulikov's, and that is unlikely to matter enough to make Chevy consider bridging Morrissey.

Plus Enstrom, Myers, Chiarot, Mason and Wheeler. That = 26.68 mil. Don't forget that a 2 year bridge also gives 2 more years for the cap to rise. Also Buff's NMC drops to a modified NTC before that happens and his contract may be (mostly) gone.

Maukkis

EZ4ENCE
Mar 16, 2016
Plus Enstrom, Myers, Chiarot, Mason and Wheeler. That = 26.68 mil. Don't forget that a 2 year bridge also gives 2 more years for the cap to rise. Also Buff's NMC drops to a modified NTC before that happens and his contract may be (mostly) gone.
We can afford to lock up Morrissey now, so that is not what I was after. If you bridge him in the summer, the two cheap years of Morrissey last for the duration of Kulikov's deal, on top of the aforementioned group's contracts. I was just lazy with my wording there.

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
We can afford to lock up Morrissey now, so that is not what I was after. If you bridge him in the summer, the two cheap years of Morrissey last for the duration of Kulikov's deal, on top of the aforementioned group's contracts. I was just lazy with my wording there.

Fair enough then. :)

Looking ahead to signing Trouba and Laine, I think we have to start bridging just about everyone else. All it is doing is buying time but that time allows the cap to keep up. It also gives more time to choose which good, young players have to be moved (assuming we have to move the odd one) in order to make room for the rest. We will also need a decision on Wheeler next off-season.

If we are unable to lock up Trouba at least that will free up his cap and postpone the crunch but I prefer to plan on keeping him. I think that will cost 7.5+ ..... unless he takes a step back this year.

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
7.5 for Trouba? How and why? D men seem to get paid via points.... Trouba hasnt put up a bunch.

They don't get paid by points alone. It is a combination of points + effective D play.

In his first - and only - season freed from the Stu anchor he scored at a 45 pt pace. I expect he will at least match that this year.

I certainly won't complain if Chevy can get him to sign for 8 years for less. 6 or 7 years is a different story. The AAV would be a little lower with fewer UFA years. I just don't expect it. Trouba's agent has a history of getting top dollar+ for his clients.

DoingItCoolKiwi

May 23, 2017
Do you guys think Myers for Athanasiou could work as core pieces in a trade? Makes space for Poolman, and Athanasiou would be a good 3c so we could finally do that top 9 thing

It'll obviously never happen because Chevy doesn't do trades, but I think it would make sense for us

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
Do you guys think Myers for Athanasiou could work as core pieces in a trade? Makes space for Poolman, and Athanasiou would be a good 3c so we could finally do that top 9 thing

It'll obviously never happen because Chevy doesn't do trades, but I think it would make sense for us

Detroit can't afford the cap hit to sign AA. How are they going to take on Myers?

DoingItCoolKiwi

May 23, 2017
Detroit can't afford the cap hit to sign AA. How are they going to take on Myers?

This is a great point and I have absolutely no answer to that. Wings suck so didn't remember how bad their cap situation is

edit. Would probably have to be a 3way trade where Wings get picks, a good team with cap space like leafs get Myers, and Jets get AA :dunno:

Last edited:

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
This is a great point and I have absolutely no answer to that. Wings suck so didn't remember how bad their cap situation is

edit. Would probably have to be a 3way trade where Wings get picks, a good team with cap space like leafs get Myers, and Jets get AA :dunno:

I'm surprised that no one has offersheeted AA. How much could it take to sign him? Whatever the number, DRW can't match it.

Gm0ney

Unicorns salient
Oct 12, 2011
Winnipeg

You'd have to think some kind of cap dump would be coming back...but then what are the chances you're going to be offering up much if you have to take on a bunch of cap?

Offer sheet compensation to Detroit for an AAV of less than $3,925,975 would be a 2nd rounder (or less). So I think that kind of puts an upper limit on his trade value.

DoingItCoolKiwi

May 23, 2017
You'd have to think some kind of cap dump would be coming back...but then what are the chances you're going to be offering up much if you have to take on a bunch of cap?

Offer sheet compensation to Detroit for an AAV of less than $3,925,975 would be a 2nd rounder (or less). So I think that kind of puts an upper limit on his trade value.

I think he got a bit lucky shooting 15% last season but I'd still pay the 2nd for him if he can play the 3c role (not sure where he played last season). Even when his s% would drop, I think he could be a good 40 point center when he matures and plays for a team that's not 16-17 red wings

Jet

Free Capo!
Jul 20, 2004
Florida
I'm going to tie a few of the posts I saw in my last peruse together:

Myers for AA? I know Myers is a popular trade chip around these parts, but - Jacob Trouba I very much doubt is going to sign here. He's doing his duty but we are either going to have to trade him or lose him to FA as soon as he qualifies. Trading NHL D is not a good idea for us right now, ESPECIALLY for a forward. We're doing pretty well there in the system.

If we traded one of Petan, Army or Dano for AA, I would prefer it be Petan, or Dano. Armia, while not realizing his offensive promise yet has at least molded his play into a useful player. (creates turnovers and takeaways, PK, possession)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad