Speculation: Rumors/Speculation/Trade Talk - 2018-19 - Part VIII - Trade Deadline Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

GrandmaSlices51631

Dec 12, 2013
Long Beach
Absolutely agree with this post. In fact, the only thing Lou has done so far of any significance was hire Trotz. And I certainly thank him for that. Besides that, on the ice Lou has not made one big move in almost a year running the team, other than to bring in a bunch of guys on one year deals that nobody else wanted who lucky for us have panned out so far. But then again Snow did that a few times too. The usual culprits on here are saying the usual things, it will be in July that we make noise. Then when July comes and we do nothing, they will say there is still the whole summer. Then when the whole summer passes, they will say we have to see what the current group can do to start the season, and then the whole cycle will repeat starting with another season.

We haven't seen one iteration of this cycle you describe with Lamoriello/Trotz in charge. If come September, nothing has been done, then your statement holds weight. Until then, you are simply predicting what the future holds with Malkin, Ledecky, Lamoriello & Trotz based on the last 15 years of incompetence with Wang, Snow and [insert deadbeat coach]. It's a very short sighted outlook to continue screaming POOR US from the top of the roof.

I remember when everyone (including myself) was saying that Malkin and Ledecky were phonies and they wouldn't cut it - guess what, they brought in Lamoriello who brought in Trotz, who brought out the best of a less then impressive team on paper who are in 1st place of the division, right now.

It hasn't even been 10 months since Lamoriello was brought in. I can't imagine what kind of overnight solution you would be satisfied with. I am annoyed with Barzals wingers, just as much as you and the next guy but it sounds like you don't trust ownership, management who not only have us leading the Metro but also gained ground on a new arena. Their impact and insights will show ON ICE, but rushing into a deal is stupid. This team will be better next year and it will be, because LL and BT will see who is built for playoff hockey and cut the fat.

Satan'sIsland81

Feb 9, 2007
If none of our guys sign, we are royally ****ed. If players who have been here for a while (Lee, Nelson) don't want to stay, especially with what they've accomplished what they have this year, why the hell would guys like Panarin or Duchene want to come here?
7/1/19 is really going to tell the tale of this team for the next little while.
Where have I heard this before? Oh yeah, every single season.

Reactions: SteveH124

Chardo

Apr 27, 2007
We haven't seen one iteration of this cycle you describe with Lamoriello/Trotz in charge. If come September, nothing has been done, then your statement holds weight. Until then, you are simply predicting what the future holds with Malkin, Ledecky, Lamoriello & Trotz based on the last 15 years of incompetence with Wang, Snow and [insert deadbeat coach]. It's a very short sighted outlook to continue screaming POOR US from the top of the roof.

I remember when everyone (including myself) was saying that Malkin and Ledecky were phonies and they wouldn't cut it - guess what, they brought in Lamoriello who brought in Trotz, who brought out the best of a less then impressive team on paper who are in 1st place of the division, right now.

It hasn't even been 10 months since Lamoriello was brought in. I can't imagine what kind of overnight solution you would be satisfied with. I am annoyed with Barzals wingers, just as much as you and the next guy but it sounds like you don't trust ownership, management who not only have us leading the Metro but also gained ground on a new arena. Their impact and insights will show ON ICE, but rushing into a deal is stupid. This team will be better next year and it will be, because LL and BT will see who is built for playoff hockey and cut the fat.

I thought we were getting Malkin when I read this

SI90

Jul 25, 2011
StrongIsland
Overblown. Half the players' income is taxed in other states anyway. Taxes have never prevented Rangers, Sharks, Leafs, Chicago, etc. from signing players.

It’s not overblown. There’s certain loopholes like residency but for the most part it’s significant. More for the teams benifent than the players but it definitely plays a role.

ndgolden

Jan 9, 2009
Overblown. Half the players' income is taxed in other states anyway. Taxes have never prevented Rangers, Sharks, Leafs, Chicago, etc. from signing players. It amounts to a little less inheritance for their grandkids.

This is simply not true, This advantage has allowed Tampa to draw and retain players at less than market value. Factor in cost of living and yes it does play a role in to players decisions.

Chardo

Apr 27, 2007
It’s not overblown. There’s certain loopholes like residency but for the most part it’s significant. More for the teams benifent than the players but it definitely plays a role.

Yet it has never prevented high tax teams from signing players. If taxes and cost of living were paramount, Rangers would never land a free agent.

Chardo

Apr 27, 2007
This is simply not true, This advantage has allowed Tampa to draw and retain players at less than market value. Factor in cost of living and yes it does play a role in to players decisions.

What A-list free agent has gone to Tampa? Retaining their own is different. Once a player is established, they're less likely to leave if the money to stay is fair. If your statement were true, Panthers would have been just as attractive to everyone. Yet they're a wasteland. Once these players are talking near 8 figures a year, a couple hundred grand in state taxes doesn't matter as much as all the other considerations.

Satan'sIsland81

Feb 9, 2007
The only one dreaming here is you. You must believe that we should be able make whatever move we want when we want. We're competing against twenty other playoff contenders for talent with a weak hand to play. As of today, we are a bottom third destination for other players because of our history, arena situation, high tax state etc. Beyond that, the league still does not believe in this years success.

Things will get better, hell, they already are better, but not by being stupid.
What does this have to do with your belief/statement that our first round pick this year is suddenly going to get us an upgrade?

Satan'sIsland81

Feb 9, 2007
Again, unless you wanted the team to spend stupid money on free agents last year after the loss of Tavares it makes sense. They just signed a coach that is making $4million per year.
So because you have a coach making 4 million, you have to have one of the lowest payrolls in the league???? Huh???? And I am not talking about last summer, I am talking about now. We have a first place team with tons of cap space. You do not get that opportunity very often. Think about after re signing our UFAs, we will not have as much space. You have to take advantage of opportunities when they come, you never know when you will have one again. Lou and the Isles totally dropped the ball on this deadline.

Strait2thecup

Sep 1, 2016
Hickey is a one of the guys who all too often was directly responsible for goals against. We haven’t been giving up a ton of the goals where one dman makes an amazingly stupid/bad play and we should keep it that way. He should be an extra imo.

As for Ladd.. can’t be worse than Kunachkl. Would like to see Barzal ladd eberle

YearlyLottery

The Pooch Report
Feb 7, 2013
South Carolina
So because you have a coach making 4 million, you have to have one of the lowest payrolls in the league???? Huh???? And I am not talking about last summer, I am talking about now. We have a first place team with tons of cap space. You do not get that opportunity very often. Think about after re signing our UFAs, we will not have as much space. You have to take advantage of opportunities when they come, you never know when you will have one again. Lou and the Isles totally dropped the ball on this deadline.

Right. So go ahead and trade the future for a UFA and then lose him in July. Kind of like last year!

Reactions: Poster Unknown

Satan'sIsland81

Feb 9, 2007
OMG Sister! Before, Garth Snow was GM, Before no longer matters.

We had two top 10 picks last year? News to me.

We had the 11th & 12th OA picks, for the record and Lou was close to acquiring Pacioretty, i'm glad we didn't and that's because Dobson and Wahlstrom, both projected to be top 10 picks, fell to us. Did I say that a 15th to 20th OA is going to land us an impact player? No I did not, but it could be packaged in a deal with a number of prospects to get an impact player from a team that is rebuilding or making cap space.

Your making blanket statements, some of which are completely erroneous to further the negative outlook that this team won't do **** because it never has. Wang is no longer owner, Capuano is no longer coach, Weight & Snow are in Witness Protection.

Meanwhile Trotz and Lamoriello haven't been running the show for 9 months and we expect what? I'll keep dreaming, you can keep loathing.
Is this not exactly what we heard for weeks leading up to this deadline? Every writer had us as the team to watch this deadline. Not because they knew anything but because it was obvious to anyone that the Islanders should have been active and had one major weakness a top 6 winger/sniper for the PP to address.
In fact, we even had our beat writers say Lou remained home from the whole road trip to work on getting the upgrade. What exactly did he do? Nothing.

Reactions: YoureMyBoyLou

SI90

Jul 25, 2011
StrongIsland
Yet it has never prevented high tax teams from signing players. If taxes and cost of living were paramount, Rangers would never land a free agent.

Original 6 team, Madison square garden, and the #1 city in the world.

I didn’t say it was the be all end all but it’s not insignificant

Reactions: Thrasymachus

YearlyLottery

The Pooch Report
Feb 7, 2013
South Carolina
Is this not exactly what we heard for weeks leading up to this deadline? Every writer had us as the team to watch this deadline. Not because they knew anything but because it was obvious to anyone that the Islanders should have been active and had one major weakness a top 6 winger/sniper for the PP to address.
In fact, we even had our beat writers say Lou remained home from the whole road trip to work on getting the upgrade. What exactly did he do? Nothing.

What should have been done? Stop being so general. What should have been done?

Reactions: Poster Unknown

GrandmaSlices51631

Dec 12, 2013
Long Beach

Look, Panarin stayed put. Stone clearly wanted to go to Vegas. Nyquist waived a NMC. Duchene was taken off the board by CBJ.

I would've like Simmonds or Dzingel, but let's not pretend any of the mid-tier guys put us over the top, they don't. I would've loved to see this team bolstered but there was obviously not a clear cut fit. The writers and talking heads of the media can't run a hockey team, thats why they are paid to hold microphones and speculate.

We have a surplus of assets while many of the teams trying to compete just spent many of theirs, we have a clear need. We have very little need for the 15-20th OA pick. I get your pissed but this is a methodical approach. You are looking at the "control" group, Lou is going to see which of these guys elevates their play come playoff time - those guys will get deals. If we went all in on a rental, it would be even harder to determine who is worth keeping should a guy like Duchene elevate the play of say Nelson (just an example) and it wouldn't even guarantee success.

This is a game of patience, and i'm very impatient but I see what Lou and Trotz are doing and it is building a team that can have sustained success, not go on a quick run and fizzle out.

LeapOnOver

Mackenzie is a hack!
Jan 23, 2011
Iksan, S. Korea
www.leaponover.com

You do realize how ignorant that statement is right? He didn't make any trades, correct, but he didn't do anything? Were you there to see how many phone calls he made, how many offers he put in that were declined and how many he declined himself? Every fan base that is in the playoff picture whose team did nothing is filled with two types of people, those who trust the decision by management and those who just want action all the time (like bad poker players). I would have been fine if they had traded firsts and prospects for rentals, and I'm also fine they didn't. Guy hasn't even been in charge for a full calendar year for Christ's sake. Go back on a break man...

12Dog

Feb 14, 2013
This "sell even though you're in first place" idea is the most horrendous, typical-HFBoards thing I've ever seen. Please stop.

I think it's telling how some of the resident Debbie Downers, who hardly post anymore now that the team's succeeding, are turning out in droves today :laugh: Go back under your bridges, trolls. I wish LL had gotten these guys some scoring help today, sure, but clearly he believes the answers are already within the organization and the results so far this year make it difficult to argue.

You think this roster is close to winning a cup?
I don’t want to win a playoff series, I want this team to win a championship, so please stop the first place nonsense.
If trading away players you know you have to improve on to further that goal, I’ll gladly risk that in this season if it advances the cause towards the bigger picture.

13th Floor

Oct 10, 2008
Ah, I feel better. Just dug up all the posts by this very fanbase that shit all over all the moves in the offseason that led us to a first place roster at the deadline. Maybe, just maybe, people don't know what they're talking about or know what's going on behind the scenes.

Is this a cup team? No, I don't think so. But I think Lou did not like what he had to give up in order to get someone, weighing what that addition would do for this year (as in, not enough) and what that subtraction would do for our future (as in, too much).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad