Speculation: Rumors/Speculation/Trade Talk - 2018-19 - Part VIII - Trade Deadline Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

BelovedIsles

Oct 22, 2005
Looks like Lou struck out again, he was outbid for Duche and Stone without a backup plan. Hoping he brings in the big fish in July, losing faith in his ability to lockdown and close.

Reactions: Newsworthy

GrandmaSlices51631

Dec 12, 2013
Long Beach
Welcome to Isle of never win. We're planning for the future. We have to wait 2-3 years. It's an experience season. It's an observation season. Its a ...............
(enter next excuse here)

Fun fact: 15 of the 16 playoff teams will not win the cup, many of them gave up assets in an effort to do so. We were not one of those teams. What Lou did is called Asset Preservation, after what happened with Traitor, spending big on a rental was probably out of the question - if the reports about the contract offered to Stone was any indication of that.

"We're probably a year or two away."
Trotz said that last month, he won the cup last year and is one of the all time winning coaches in the game, respect his opinion and expertise and wait OR go find another team to root for.

Reactions: dood

MYIslanders

Oct 4, 2014
It would be nice if we actually gave the poor man a real roster to work with. Let's face it, what he has done with our roster is nothing short of magical. Give him a legit roster....well, you saw the results last year.
Agreed! However, I would rather have a good home grown roster for years to come instead of a great paper roster for 3 months. That very well may have been the decision Lou was faced with. I trust the men with the rings and HOF status.

Reactions: dood

Palfmeister

Oct 2, 2011
Fun fact: 15 of the 16 playoff teams will not win the cup, many of them gave up assets in an effort to do so. We were not one of those teams. What Lou did is called Asset Preservation, after what happened with Traitor, spending big on a rental was probably out of the question - if the reports about the contract offered to Stone was any indication of that.

"We're probably a year or two away."
Trotz said that last month, he won the cup last year and is one of the all time winning coaches in the game, respect his opinion and expertise and wait OR go find another team to root for.

Fun fact. Only one team wins the cup every year. What does that have to do with a fan base that makes the dumbest excuses, like its an experience season.

To the bolded: Settle down Beavis

BMOK33

Oct 5, 2005
Can't believe Stone signed an extension instead of waiting for free agency. Great move by the Knights, nothing we can do about that if that's where he wanted to be, but he did the Senators a huge solid for sure. Don't see that often!

I think it’s a stupid decision on his part. I’m wondering if he’s single. It’s hard for me to see a married guy just up and signing in the course of a few hours like he did

Newsworthy

Jan 28, 2018
USA
Lou probably tried to make trades but couldn’t and this is his cover up...this year is a step but this won’t be acceptable next year.

Maybe at the deadline with all these teams scrambling and overpaying but he had the Summer and in season to make moves and all he did was trade for Matt Martin.

Satan'sIsland81

Feb 9, 2007
You got the wrong guy dude, I didn't make such a statement. I think you're fighting too many battles on too many fronts to keep up.
Nah, I dont think so. Actually I think the majority of people on here agree with me. If you put up a poll, we can see, but I am pretty sure "disappointed" would win pretty handily.

nyisles

Apr 4, 2006
Western Suffolk
I don’t want to win a playoff series, I want this team to win a championship, so please stop the first place nonsense.
Being in first place late Feb is "nonsense," blowing up your division-leading roster for futures is the way to go. HFBoards loser mentality in a nutshell.

Reactions: Grizzly

Satan'sIsland81

Feb 9, 2007
You do realize how ignorant that statement is right? He didn't make any trades, correct, but he didn't do anything? Were you there to see how many phone calls he made, how many offers he put in that were declined and how many he declined himself? Every fan base that is in the playoff picture whose team did nothing is filled with two types of people, those who trust the decision by management and those who just want action all the time (like bad poker players). I would have been fine if they had traded firsts and prospects for rentals, and I'm also fine they didn't. Guy hasn't even been in charge for a full calendar year for Christ's sake. Go back on a break man...
Again, not defending Snow, but was not the same thing said about him? Is that not where all the kicking the tires and having lines in the water jokes came from? What matters is a result. Making phone calls is meaningless. If we finish in second place with every UFA for the next five years, we will have exactly zero signed UFAs.

GrandmaSlices51631

Dec 12, 2013
Long Beach
Fun fact. Only one team wins the cup every year. What does that have to do with a fan base that makes the dumbest excuses, like its an experience season.

To the bolded: Settle down Beavis

Current leadership didn't come up with the experience season BS. How about, this is the first season with a competent GM/Coach combo in two plus decades? Is that an excuse to you?

BMOK33

Oct 5, 2005
As evidenced today not much benefit in us sucking this year. We wouldn’t have gotten much back at all for Lee, Eberle, Nelson etc.

DerekKingSnipes

Feb 20, 2013
Long Island
Nah, I dont think so. Actually I think the majority of people on here agree with me. If you put up a poll, we can see, but I am pretty sure "disappointed" would win pretty handily.
I think everyone is disappointed but it’s different than from past years. We seem to finally have a direction, a team that works hard and plays for each other who is in first place in metro at deadline. I wanted stone particularly I didn’t want any part but of Duchene but there will be another guy come the summer. I trust Lou and Trotz and where they are taking this team.

YearlyLottery

The Pooch Report
Feb 7, 2013
South Carolina
Ah, I feel better. Just dug up all the posts by this very fanbase that **** all over all the moves in the offseason that led us to a first place roster at the deadline. Maybe, just maybe, people don't know what they're talking about or know what's going on behind the scenes.

Is this a cup team? No, I don't think so. But I think Lou did not like what he had to give up in order to get someone, weighing what that addition would do for this year (as in, not enough) and what that subtraction would do for our future (as in, too much).

So now please copy and paste them here and while you quote each poster say: BOOM Roasted to them and tag them. I'm sure @PK Cronin and @xECK29x will allow it.

Reactions: PK Cronin

GrandmaSlices51631

Dec 12, 2013
Long Beach

You seem very concerned with being agreeable. Stop thinking about emotions. Emotional decisions usually result in poor outcomes. Lamoriello and Trotz are using rationale and were going to have a better team as a result.

scottywiper

Dec 2, 2018
What a position for management to be in.
On the one hand they would be very committed to 'staying the path' they laid out when they took over, of preserving young talent and building for sustained success.
But then they unexpectedly find the team on top and in a rare position of being a challenger, at least as far as the standings go.
It must have been very tempting to roll the dice as you never know when the opportunity will come again - injuries, player development or lack of, even decisions by other teams mean that all the careful planning in the world is no guarantee of success. They may never be top again this late in a season. So do you bet big to win big?
However, the sporting world is also full of teams who misjudged their ability to win championships, thought they were closer than they actually were, and made costly long-term decisions as a result.
My Aussie Rules team four or five years ago was in this position, top of ladder and making every decision about immediate success, wanting to cash in while a core group of senior players were still going. Recruiting and team selection revolved around it, younger players weren't given a sniff and any holes were filled with old heads who could be 'relied' upon. And it worked...they were the team to beat...until they started getting injuries mid-season. They lost nearly every game in second half of year as the window closed firmly shut. Within a year they were near the bottom. They knew the risk and took it, and it backfired.
It's a tough decision to make. In BT and LL we trust!
#LGI

LeapOnOver

Mackenzie is a hack!
Jan 23, 2011
Iksan, S. Korea
www.leaponover.com
Again, not defending Snow, but was not the same thing said about him? Is that not where all the kicking the tires and having lines in the water jokes came from? What matters is a result. Making phone calls is meaningless. If we finish in second place with every UFA for the next five years, we will have exactly zero signed UFAs.

Yes, the same thing was said about Snow. The opposite was said about him too (Neiderreiter trade, Vanek trade). Of course people are going to criticize every move, but hockey operations is like an ice berg and we are only seeing a tiny bit of it. Snow had no pedigree to go off to give him the benefit of the doubt, Lou does. You can sit there and try to draw comparisons, but the only ones that are important are 3 stanley cups and a perennial playoff team. You should read this and get on board the "In Lou We Trust" bandwagon.

The Lou Lamoriello you do and don't know - Sportsnet.ca

boredmale

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 13, 2005
I think some people have to realize even with we traded a bunch of non roster assets for McDavid we still wouldn't be Stanley Cup favorites, so why we are arguing over no going out and getting somebody like Dzingle or Johansson is beyond me.

The only guy traded today I think the Islanders should have made a run for was Granlund, but I have a feeling that was more a case of Minnesota targeting a player then looking to dump Granlund

Reactions: GrandmaSlices51631
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad