Speculation: Rumors/Speculation/Trade Talk - 2018-19 - Part VI

Status
Not open for further replies.

Richie Daggers Crime

Boosted 9 times double masked they/them
Mar 8, 2004
Boise
The bottom line is most trade deadline acquisitions rarely make a significant impact. A big reason for this is that they usually aren’t significant big name guys but even the rare cases they are the acquiring team is still not going to win a cup most of the time

That's because upwards of a dozen teams look to improve their squad at the deadline, but only one wins the Cup. It doesn't mean you don't try. It also doesn't mean that you don't be judicious about it. There is a middle ground here that people seem to be ignoring.

Uncle Duke

Heads up, fellas!
May 14, 2018
Sarasota, FL
I think many of you in here prefer draft parties to division titles. Ive tried the former many times. Id like to try the latter again. It was fun the last time when i was 14.
No, I don't, but I'd just like to be able to experience division titles, and more, more than once. Going all in now makes future runs less likely.

Reactions: bigtim1988

duster19

Feb 13, 2013
Can’t imagine Lou stands pat now.

Just pull the trigger Lou. I’m ready for whatever we give up.

Reactions: CBG

Chapin Landvogt

Jul 4, 2002
Germany
Apparently Abramov is a good prospect. The guaranteed 1st rd plus the other prospect for a rental was steep. I can't see the Isles giving this much for a rental for a good but not great player in Duchene. Add on the 2nd first if converted. That's just too expensive from my viewpoint on what the Isles want to do.

I'm using your post as an example, but I'm a bit surprised by the many people who feel that this package was "steep". Did you not think Duchene was gonna cost at least this?

I thought Duchene would rake in more high profile prospects.

A 1st and two legitimate prospects is exactly what everyone has been speculating and supposing.

Reactions: Costigan77

doublechili

For all intensive purposes, your nuts
Apr 11, 2006
201208-omag-quiz-half-empty-glass-949x534.jpg

Oh look, it's Mr. glass half empty
It looks to me that the glass is actually more than half empty. See the way the water isn't even quite up to the midway line of the glass, and the glass is wider at the top where it's empty than it is down at the bottom where there's water? IMO that glass is like 65% empty.

Flair19Woo

Nov 10, 2006
I just feel all the good that has been Islanders this season could be wasted if LL does not make a move to get some help offensively. I don't have the answers but I am really hopeful that Lou does....

While an upgrade is welcomed keep in mind we’ve been spoiled the last 30 games with like 23 wins or something like that. They’ve proven they can win with strict adherence to the system and complete work ethic.

SI90

Jul 25, 2011
StrongIsland
So the Capitals have made two deals and Columbus may also make a second deal acquiring a depth D. Both are teams behind the Islanders in the standings.

I think the isles also feel Ladd and Hickey are depth coming back. Not saying I love it or like it but that’s probably the feeling. If Ladd is healthy he’s better than Kuhnhackl

Costigan77

Oct 7, 2014
Manhasset, NY
Teams are paying a premium for defense. I know Bowey isn’t as highly touted as he once was.m but him plus a 2nd for Jensen seems like a lot.

Hickey may actually be someone they can unload for something. Seeing Toews development, i wouldn’t be surprised if Aho could fill that void

Reactions: SI90

StumpNYI

Sep 10, 2010
If we do nothing, whatever, I have to trust in Lou, but the argument about trade deadline acquisitions being a waste is a head-scratcher? Especially when you're a fan of a team with such a glaring need.

I know Lou isn't dumb enough to trade Dobson or multiple 1sts for a rental. Not worried about that, just don't want us not trying to fix the forward group to come back and bite us. There is no guarantees these acquisitions will help, but there are no guarantees that b-level prospect(s) or even next years 1st round pick will turn into anything either. Low risk to try and ensure we don't draw Tampa in the first round or even miss the playoffs entirely, because yes that is still a possibility.

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
I'm using your post as an example, but I'm a bit surprised by the many people who feel that this package was "steep". Did you not think Duchene was gonna cost at least this?

I thought Duchene would rake in more high profile prospects.

A 1st and two legitimate prospects is exactly what everyone has been speculating and supposing.

I have cooled on Duchene a little since his Avs days. I don't know about anyone else here? But I can only say that's very steep price for a UFA. A player for 23 regular season games and the first rd of the playoffs. And I say this with Columbus looking from the outside right now. For me it's a huge price for only 23 guaranteed games presently.

SI

Feb 16, 2013
How do you mean when you say F prospect?

I've seen a good bit of Davidsson ... I'd say he's not far off from being another Donato, who just got traded by Boston for Coyle.

Dynamic skater who moves faster with the puck than without it...

F for forward - I can see how that could be confusing.

So would you say Golyshev would be an equivalent prospect to Davidson?

YearlyLottery

The Pooch Report
Feb 7, 2013
South Carolina
I still do not see what the fuss is about. Yes the team was in first place, you are kidding yourself if this is the team to trade the top prospects for though.

If Lamoriello is going to acquire a player where we need to trade our top prospects I would rather trade one of those prospects during the offseason and get a player with term rather than trade for Panarin as a rental now with Dobson going back the other way.

No reason why they can't go and trade for a Zuccarello type of rental though.

Uncle Duke

Heads up, fellas!
May 14, 2018
Sarasota, FL
Do something to improve the top 6 is what im saying.
Yes, we'd all like to see that, but what if the price is too high in Lou's opinion, do you still want to do "something"? And not even just something, but anything, because to not do so would be "ludicrous" according to you.

Personally, I don't think it's ludicrous to not overpay for assets.

Reactions: periferal

SI90

Jul 25, 2011
StrongIsland
I would fist pump so hard, I'd probably throw out my shoulder. My shoulder is still a mess from my v-ball days, but still.

He’s just not needed to be honest. His cap space would help. Eberles cap + Hickeys cap could sign Stone potentially. Or at least help us get there.

PROMputt

I promise to never forget.
Jan 4, 2008
Lawnguyland
I wonder if Columbus now with Duchene would be willing to part with Wenneberg. I know he is struggling and buried in Columbus right now but I think that has more to do with Tortorella then Wenneberg. There is no way this guy goes from promising play-making center to garbage that quick. He is only 24 and making 4.9 mil for the next 4 years. If the Isles can send back some salary or Columbus eats some salary I think he could still be a really good #2 center. I know he is not the sexy name everyone is looking for but I think it could work.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad