Speculation: Rumors/Speculation/Trade Talk - 2018-19 - Part VI

Status
Not open for further replies.

Skip To My Lou

Abused Fan
May 4, 2010
Garden City, NY
I just go by what I see, a player who requests a trade is always a bad player to have around if you ask me, and then he gets traded and that team who traded him does better without him and his new team does worse? we really want a guy like that around this team who seems to be doing good?
He never requested the trade. Colorado was dangling him around in the trade market for so long that they ruined the relationship themselves.

periferal

Jul 5, 2007
I have a feeling Stone and Ottawa will work something out.
Ottawa could not simply afford to give Duchene and Stone that bonus $ - they keep Stone and try to recoup assets with Duchene.

Let's look closer at the Karlsson deal this fall and the Duchene last fall to see $ -

Tierney, C
DeMelo, D
Prospect Josh Norris (2017 #1 17 OA)
Prospect Rudolph Balcers
2020 1st round pick
2019 2nd round pick
* conditional 2nd in 2021 if Karlsson resigns (it bumps up to a 1st if Sharks resign and win cup this season)

for Karlsson and Perron (throw-in) (for 1 season of Duchene)

Kyle Turris (immediately flipped for 3 pieces and resigned by the Preds)
Shane Bowers (2017 #1 28 OA)
2018 1st lottery protected (NOW 2019 NOT lottery protected)
2019 3rd round pick
Andrew Hammond (salary dump)
for
Matt Duchene (for almost 2 full seasons of Duchene)

deals for Duchene -

2019 #1, Kiefer Bellows, Mitchell Vande Sompel
** conditional 2nd in 2020 if Duchene resigns (it bumps up to a 1st if Isles resign and win cup this season)

or

Brock Nelson (immediately flipped), 2019 #1, Bellows
** conditional 2nd in 2020 if Duchene resigns (it bumps up to a 1st if Isles resign and win cup this season)

I love posts when the posters take time to consider all angles and reality. This is really well done and made me feel like it could go down basically like this. Well done SI.

Reactions: SI and xECK29x

seafoam

Soft Shock
Sponsor
May 17, 2011
I think he’ll make a significant move because he feels this team can win if they have home ice at the Coli in the first round. It may just be the boost they need to make a run at the East.

Reactions: BelovedIsles

periferal

Jul 5, 2007
Lots of times people report on scouts being at games and most of the time it means little since that's standard practice. However when GM's and their staff travel to see multiple games where their team isn't playing, that is news.

Who knows how things will shake out, but right now we'd have to put the odds of Ottawa and Winnipeg doing business over before the deadline...

Words Of Wisdom

Truth Speaker
Oct 20, 2011
Long Island.
I would love Duchene. Always loved him. What do you guys think realistically we would have to give up to get him and do you think said package is worth it?

doublechili

For all intensive purposes, your nuts
Apr 11, 2006
I would love Duchene. Always loved him. What do you guys think realistically we would have to give up to get him and do you think said package is worth it?
IDK what we'd have to give up, but I'll bet OTT is asking for our 1st and Dobson. That's a lot, but we have 3 good RH defensemen now and Wilde in the OHL, but we really don't have a great 2C now or in the wings. Just saying.

Islesfan22

Jan 15, 2013
Rockland
Islanders do have some depth in prospects. A Panarin Stone or Duchene would help but probably cost to much. So we are looking at Dzingel Johansson Nyquist Kovalchuk. Dzingel Nyquist will cost a first and maybe a low level prospect. Not sure about Johansson. Kovalchuk depends on how much salary the kings are willing to eat.

Tres Peleches

Johnny Turncoat
Jul 13, 2011
Dobson goes nowhere for a rental

A signed Duchene or Panarin? Sure. But not for a few months of them

Also, I know Buffalo REALLY wants to hold on to Skinner but... they look to be in bad shape attm. I wonder if they don’t at least see what’s out there

MatthewBarnabysTears

Mar 18, 2013
While excited, I remember thinking...So cool to have gotten him, but who is he going to play with IF we can resign him? We have no prospects left.

Fun part was, turns out Milbury didn’t draft anyone worth keeping anyway!

I still think all the time about Snow’s first real trade being Zhitnik for Freddy Meyer, with the Flyers quickly flipping Zhitnik for Coburn.

Last edited:

danteipp

Aug 3, 2005
Lou is not trading Dobson for a rental. That would milbury level bad

Agreed. It is not the Isles job to bail the Senators out of the ill-fated Duchene trade, with them giving up their first this season. Dobson shouldn't be going anywhere, unless it is for a player with term or a UFA that will agree to an extension.

SI

Feb 16, 2013
An original post from the past thread:

Let's look closer at the Karlsson deal this fall and the Duchene last fall to see $ -

Tierney, C
DeMelo, D
Prospect Josh Norris (2017 #1 17 OA)
Prospect Rudolph Balcers
2020 1st round pick
2019 2nd round pick
* conditional 2nd in 2021 if Karlsson resigns (it bumps up to a 1st if Sharks resign and win cup this season)

for Karlsson and Perron (throw-in) (for 1 season of Duchene)

Kyle Turris (immediately flipped for 3 pieces and resigned by the Preds)
Shane Bowers (2017 #1 28 OA)
2018 1st lottery protected (NOW 2019 NOT lottery protected)
2019 3rd round pick
Andrew Hammond (salary dump)
for
Matt Duchene (for almost 2 full seasons of Duchene)

deals for Duchene should be somewhere in between these two deals-

Deal A -the least expensive option

2019 #1, Kiefer Bellows, Mitchell Vande Sompel
This deal has no salary dump since there is no need to sort $ or fit players under the cap - Isles have plenty of room. No established NHLer in this deal or swapping of UFAS. This deal is less than The ottawa/Colorado- well Ottawa traded for a full season more of Duchene, so no 3rd rounder or UFA- Bellows a better prospect than Bowers and a #1 with a young puck moving d man-

or

Deal B - the more expensive option-
Brock Nelson (immediately flipped), 2019 #1, Bellows
* this deal is really similar to the Ottawa/Colorado deal difference-
no 3rd rounder or salary dump.
the #1 is clearly a high #1 instead of a lottery protected pick
And the addition of a conditional pick if Duchene resigned.

I am re-posting this to be more clear between the two options. The Karlsson trade is mentioned to show how much was given for a better player for a full year. The other thing we can gain here is that OTTawa receiving a conditional pick if the player resigns-
my guess this will be a prerequisite for any deal.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad