Proposal: Rumors and Proposals Thread: Throw Connor a Frickin Bone Ken!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jet Walters

May 15, 2013
Enough for Ennis with the Smith bonuses? Maybe someone will be moving out too
Ennis makes 800k so they'd actually save money if they send another body down to the AHL. Would the Sens consider Ennis and Brown for Khaira and Benning? Maybe throw in a pick or even Puljujarvi? Ennis can play center I think.

Brown McDavid Kassian
RNH Drai Yams
Benson Sheahan Archibald
Neal Ennis Chiasson
Nygaard

Reactions: Oilhawks

Staghorn

Jul 7, 2013
Adding Hoffman to McD's wing would be a lethal combination... It would cost a 1st plus IF Hoffman is even available... Winning teams part with futures to get ASSETS. Pittsburgh, Washington... I'd say package 1st PLUS to add Hoffman and make a big splash...

Jimmi McJenkins

Sometimes miracles
Jan 12, 2006
Alberta
Adding Hoffman to McD's wing would be a lethal combination... It would cost a 1st plus IF Hoffman is even available... Winning teams part with futures to get ASSETS. Pittsburgh, Washington... I'd say package 1st PLUS to add Hoffman and make a big splash...
I like Hoffman a lot too, but a 1st for rental is tough.

Staghorn

Jul 7, 2013
I like Hoffman a lot too, but a 1st for rental is tough.

I agree it is, but so is losing for this many years... Given that this pick will LIKELY fall into the 16-24 range, what are the odds that skater becomes a contributor in the next 2-3 years??? Sure, you could unearth the next Bobby Orr, but you could also more likely unearth the next Pulju or ??? who doesn't do anything. Then there's the CHANCE you could resign Hoffman... who knows... maybe he'd like playing with McD.

destro909

Jan 3, 2008

I wonder if Florida will want to move anyone considering they are only two points back of Toronto with two games in hand. If anything, they may want to add for a push to make the playoffs.

Staghorn

Jul 7, 2013
I just feel like winning organizations go out and do stuff to WIN now. New England Patriots. They go and add pieces up to the deadline. Add vets. Winning teams do the same in the NHL. It feels like they do it all the time... Meanwhile we accumulate magic beans who may never amount to anything. Heck you have a 1st in Yakupov and a 4th Pulju who were CONSENSUS LOCKS to be great... and poof. Nevermind the 16-24 range where the odds obviously decline. I say play your hand and show the NHL and the FANS this team WANTS TO WIN. NOW. Not someday.

Jimmi McJenkins

Sometimes miracles
Jan 12, 2006
Alberta
I just feel like winning organizations go out and do stuff to WIN now. New England Patriots. They go and add pieces up to the deadline. Add vets. Winning teams do the same in the NHL. It feels like they do it all the time... Meanwhile we accumulate magic beans who may never amount to anything. Heck you have a 1st in Yakupov and a 4th Pulju who were CONSENSUS LOCKS to be great... and poof. Nevermind the 16-24 range where the odds obviously decline. I say play your hand and show the NHL and the FANS this team WANTS TO WIN. NOW. Not someday.
Yup, but you can do both. Improve the team and win, and keep the value draft picks to get value players for the future. Yes Yakupov failed, and Puljujarvi hasn't worked out, but Bear and Jones have, and Yamamoto too.

FlameChampion

Jul 13, 2011

Only thing that scares me about Hoffman, is that the guy just doesnt play defense at all. Its going to be the same thing with AA in Detroit. With the way McDavid has played for portions this year, hes also done a lot of fly bys and hasnt engaged players (I think his injury is a factor as I seen stronger defensive play from him in previous years). I personally think McDavid needs a good two way guy on his line. That being said they could still get a Hoffman and then get another winger who is more defensive responsible.

If you look at the really dominant lines, most of those lines are good all over the ice. Look no further than RNH - Draisaitl - Yamamoto line. They are just relentless all over the ice. Knocking pucks down, getting to puck carriers, making plays etc. We will see another line tonight in Boston that is good all over the ice.

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004

Thats because organizations like the NEP have a foundation in place that allows them to win now.

If you dont have that foundation then the win now scenario doesnt exist until the foundation is complete.

There are steps to this and you cant just skip a step and go to win now mode.

Fourier

Dec 29, 2006
Waterloo Ontario
What exactly does he 'shut down'?

He performs quite poorly against the other teams 2nd lines. When he is on the ice the other team scores more goals than we do by a significant margin (and he mostly plays against 2nd comp).

When Nurse-Bear are on the ice, they typically outscore the opposition (who are top comp most of the time, mind you).

Ethan Bear is the best 'shutdown' defenceman we have, because he limits the amount of chances the opposition has on net more than anyone else on our team. Larsson wishes he was half the shutdown defenceman Bear is. I know Lars fits the stereotypical mold of 'shutdown' defender (big, slow, bad with the puck) but this doesn't mean he is conducive to winning hockey games. In fact, stats show he's the opposite.

Larsson has been very good for well over a month now. To me he looks a lot more like his old self. And statistically this shows as well. Since Jan 1 here are some of the numbers you seem to be referencing. I choose Jan 1 since that is when the team came out of its disastrous run. If you go by the whole season Larsson's numbers are skewed by a higher portion of his minutes being played during the period where the whole team was getting destroyed.

These are 5 vs 5 numbers from Natural Stats trick.

Larsson 299:28 TOI CA/60 53.5 CF% 50.00 GA/60 2.4 GF% 50% SCA/60 23.84 SCF% 49.79 HDCA/60 9.43 HDCF% 53.00

Nurse 343:40 TOI CA/60 57.79 CF% 50.67 GA/60 2.27 GF% 56.67% SCA/60 26.36 SCF% 48.87 HDCA/60 10.82 HDCF% 47.01

Nurse has the better GF% but the others stats are actually fairly comparable.

Of course these numbers are not really individual measures of a player's ability but they do show that in general when Larsson has been on the ice the team has fared well since the New Year.

I would not call Larsson untouchable. But I don't think I'd trade him unless the deal was a very good one. His ability to break up the cycle is something that I think is more valuable than it seems you do. I also think he has more offensive ability in the oppositions end than you give him credit for.

Fourier

Dec 29, 2006
Waterloo Ontario
If Bouchard comes into the team and plays well why do we care about contract? Why would Holland? Why do fans focus on this so much?

Also why trade larsson. He is a solid defender. Yes he doesn't provide much in the offensive zone but I would rather him over Benning. Benning is a 3rd pairing defenseman and will never be more.

The reality is that for a guy like Bouchard it is not obvious that extending his ELC will be a win for the team. People complained about Draisaitl burning a year on his ELC and in retrospect it may have saved the team a fair bit of money. Depending on if and when Bouchard breaks out one could actually end up with a bargain by signing him early. If he burns a year this year and plays well but not spectacularly next year you might get him to bite on a Klefbom type contract.

For me if he is contributing and helping the team win you can play him and let the contract issue take care of itself. If he struggles, send him back to regain his confidence rather than to have the ELC slide.

Fourier

Dec 29, 2006
Waterloo Ontario
I don’t think it gives us any, because to use LTIR you have to go over the cap, and they have Smith bonuses they don’t want on next years cap. Also, I don’t think Klefbom or Russell would qualify for LTIR unless they miss the rest of the year.
I think you are correct that the team is conscious of the bonus overages. But both players will be eligible for LTIR well before the end of the season. The rule is the player must be reasonably expected to miss 24 days and 10 games.

Jimmi McJenkins

Sometimes miracles
Jan 12, 2006
Alberta
So apparently, Jimmy Murphy, Boston Beat guy has the Oilers looking at Severson from the Devils

Not sure what sense this makes

Edit: I like Severson, but who's going out if he's coming in, etc.

Jet Walters

May 15, 2013
So apparently, Jimmy Murphy, Boston Beat guy has the Oilers looking at Severson from the Devils

We probably just want to cockblock the Leafs and drive the price up so they deal for Benning instead. We were obviously scouting Coleman hard so they may have liked what they saw with Severson, and he's been playing well lately.

dem

Mar 17, 2002
Not sure Severson makes much sense for the Oilers at this point. I guess if you can get him cheap and shuffle some deck chairs...?

He's a guy who should have come back with Adam Larsson in the Hall trade..

FlameChampion

Jul 13, 2011
Do people think Martinez will boost Vegas's defense?

I havent watched him much lately. I suspect that hes no where near as good as some people remember from the kings stanley cup days but Vegas defense is pretty weak so it might be noticeable improvement.

McTonyBrar

Apr 2, 2018

If we get Severson omg I’d be ecstatic. We could move Benning then

Jet Walters

May 15, 2013
Let’s say we do Jesse + 2nd for Severson and then ship out Larsson for a good winger. That’s a net positive move.
The Devil's have used him a lot on the PK this year. This might make some sense but they may have to also take Gagner to make the money work. Maybe Holland does have an offer on the table for Larsson that is too good to refuse, and now he's trying to gauge the market for a replacement before pulling the trigger? After supposedly kicking tires on Hall and being in on Coleman, he should know exactly who the Devil's want at least.

Reactions: Anarchism

Fixed to Ruin

Come wit it now!
Feb 28, 2007
Grande Prairie, AB
Do people think Martinez will boost Vegas's defense?

I havent watched him much lately. I suspect that hes no where near as good as some people remember from the kings stanley cup days but Vegas defense is pretty weak so it might be noticeable improvement.

I think so. When doughty was out he was logging like 25 min per game and doing good job. Vegas had Zach Whitecloud on D against washington. So Martinez will be a massive upgrade.

Jimmi McJenkins

Sometimes miracles
Jan 12, 2006
Alberta
We probably just want to cockblock the Leafs and drive the price up so they deal for Benning instead. We were obviously scouting Coleman hard so they may have liked what they saw with Severson, and he's been playing well lately.
They might just like the player, good contract, apparently a good skater. He would tough to fit if you were replacing Benning with him, because of the cap.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad