Proposal: Rumors and Proposals Thread | Stauffer Already Throwing Cold Water On the Offseason

Status
Not open for further replies.

5 Mins 4 Ftg

Life is better with no expectations.
Sponsor
Apr 3, 2016
Edmonton
To get the LTIR flexibility, they'd have to be able to fit them all into an $81.5m payroll at the beginning of the season. I don't see how they could do it considering they're at $69m with only 14 guys on the roster.

They could flip Kerfoot for dead cap, but that would only shed $3.5m. And in the end that makes them even shallower.

I get confused as to the various intracacies of LTIR but wasn’t Tampa over to start the season by $10M due to Kucherov?

nabob

Big Daddy Kane
Aug 3, 2005
HF boards
A dozen eh? Alright let’s go through this:

Am I actually blaming him in this post?

Am I blaming him here? I don’t think so. What I’m actually doing here is criticizing your responses to my post.

And that’s it. A grand total of 3 posts criticizing Campbell before I posted that I made 2 posts doing it. So I was off by one post. My bad.

Everything else I posted about Campbell was after I posted I made 2 posts blaming him. At the time I made that specific post, that statement was basically correct (off by one post like I said).

You also accused me of blaming him for the entire series loss. Which I never said. I blamed him for having a large part in the Game 7 loss specifically.

You also accused me of defending Matthews/Marner and throwing Campbell under the bus instead.

Earlier today I made these posts:

Yeah, I really defended him here. :sarcasm:

And then there’s the fact that I voted for Matthews in this poll:

https://hfboards.mandatory.com/threads/who-do-you-blame-for-the-series-loss-to-the-habs.2826322/

Really threw Campbell under the bus with my vote here. :sarcasm:

My guess is you got irritated at my initial post because I jumped into the discussion late, assumed I was defending Matthews and Marner like other people you were already arguing with, and took it out on me for some reason. Later on you kept posting that you were trying to drop it when it’s clear that the opposite was true. Maybe we disagreed in the past on some other issue and you’re still holding it against me, I dunno. Your responses to my posts in this thread seem disproportionately angry though.

Now you’re gaslighting me. Neat.

Last edited:

Fourier

Dec 29, 2006
Waterloo Ontario
I get confused as to the various intracacies of LTIR but wasn’t Tampa over to start the season by $10M due to Kucherov?
There are two different ways of implementing LTIR. One is in-season (most common) and one is out of season. The results are similar but there are subtle differences that make the in-season choice more desirable in most cases. In-season LTIR requires a team to be cap compliant on day 1 of the season before executing LTIR. This is typically done by paper transactons that send players to the minors to clear enough cap space. In Tampa's case they had no choice but to put Kucherov on LTIR out of season because there was no way for them to become cap compliant on day one with him on the roster without waiving players they did not want to lose.

What Tampa did was technically within the rules. I say technically because the part that smells bad of course is Kucherov being unable to play in the last few weeks but being ready for day one of the playoffs. The NHL made noise about watching this carefully but I hav no confidence that there was really any serious effort to monitor his recovery.

Fourier

Dec 29, 2006
Waterloo Ontario
It would be a different story if Matthews and Marner busted their asses that game but Price just stole the show.

Matthews line had a SINGLE high danger chances last night. One. One single quality chance. McDavid had 7.
I agree with you. In the Oiler series Hellebucyk made dozens of great saves. In a series where essentailly every game was a coin flip it is hard to argue that he was not the difference. Price was solid but I don't think he really stole a game from teh Leafs. Their big line did not generate nearly as many high end opportunities as the Oilers big guys did.

Last year McDavid had 9 points and the Oilers actually dominated most of the play. This year the puck did not go in for anyone, but they still controlled the play. Winnipeg almost never lead the whole series. Montreal lead for much of this last series. It was the Leafs who were chasing.

Fourier

Dec 29, 2006
Waterloo Ontario
Just that salary kills me. What makes me mad is he held out for so much. When u look around the league, some players take less to win. MACKINNON, Crosby, Perfection line in Boston. Toronto is screwed
MacKinnon did not take less to win. His contract is great because of timing. He signed that contract in July of 2016 after seasons of 38 and 52 points. People were questioning whether he would be a true first tier player. His deal at the time was full value for what he had accomplished.

We all thought that Chia overpaid Leon by a bit. His contract right now looks like a great bargian compared with guys like Marner. But its timing and a bit of luck that make it so rather than Draisaitl's desire to win. Ironically, it is actually McDavid that took less.

Crosby also got paid. The first 8 years of his deal would have been at a cap hit of just under $11M when the cap at the time of his signing was 64.3M. In today's dollars the first 8 years of Crosby's deal would be about $13.8M on the cap. His cap hit was manipulated by the length of the deal. It turned out to be a bargain because his play has stayed at such a high level and because the cap rose so much over the course of his deal.

Faelko

Aug 11, 2002
He said on a radio show it was not Marner and Matthews fault they lost, that the rest of the Leafs didn’t hold their end of the bargain up.

That New Jersey idiot clearly can’t read a stats page.
There isn’t a media person I despise more than him, his anti-Oilers slant is ridiculously bad.

Reactions: 5 Mins 4 Ftg

McSuper

5-14-6-1
Jun 16, 2012
Halifax
I still go back to Matthews laughing during scrums. That can’t happen especially during the playoffs. Tells me the intensity just wasn’t there.

When Chiarot was manhandling him he should have been fired up. Instead he’s laughing like a goof.

I thought the same thing when I watched it live . He really came across as a goof that needs a punch to the face .

Last edited:
Reactions: BoldNewLettuce

McSuper

5-14-6-1
Jun 16, 2012
Halifax
I think you're taking your irritation out on me, even though I joined the party late here in this discussion. Others might be completely blaming Campbell. That's not what I actually said though.

What the Hell does TML losing have to do with Rumors and Proposals related to the Oilers . Not direct at Cloned . Just posting it here . How about fans that want to talk about the Leafs start a different thread .

McSuper

5-14-6-1
Jun 16, 2012
Halifax
I think we should look at Dylan Strome for some combination of our 1st round pick.

I mean you never know, but what are the odds a 19 or 20th overall pick is as good as Strome? Maybe 5%? Strome I think has some untapped potential, with McDavid I think he could be a 20-25 goal, 50+ point guy and he can bring that into the lineup right away, not as a project that's 3-4 years off.

What players did we draft around 20 OA over the last 15 years .

Yamamoto
Klefbom
Eberle

All of them have been decent . Yamamoto isn't done developing .

Reactions: nabob
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Sydney Swans @ Hawthorn Hawks
    Sydney Swans @ Hawthorn Hawks
    Wagers: 5
    Staked: $6,151.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Inter Milan vs Torino