Rumor: Rumors and Proposals Thread: "Monkey Wrench"

Status
Not open for further replies.

Trafalgar Sadge Law

Nov 8, 2007
On a more serious note I think I'd target Brett Kulak over Carson Soucy if the goal is a defensive bottom pair LHD. He's at least as good if not better than Soucy but has less name value so would probably cost less, and is also from Edmonton so there's a good chance he may give us a hometown discount as UFA. Also I'd like to swap Barrie for a more defensively responsible RHD, one of Barrie/Bouchard is enough and we should absolutely keep the younger cost-controlled player.

AddyTheWrath

Mar 24, 2015
Toronto
On a more serious note I think I'd target Brett Kulak over Carson Soucy if the goal is a defensive bottom pair LHD. He's at least as good if not better than Soucy but has less name value so would probably cost less, and is also from Edmonton so there's a good chance he may give us a hometown discount as UFA. Also I'd like to swap Barrie for a more defensively responsible RHD, one of Barrie/Bouchard is enough and we should absolutely keep the younger cost-controlled player.
Soucy is from Alberta as well. Might cost a bit more because he’s signed for an extra year but he might be a cheap replacement for Barrie if we move him in the offseason (iirc he plays both sides).

Ritchie Valens

Sep 24, 2007
But why would he take a discount to play #4C here instead?
I'm not saying he'd sign an extension at a lower rate here but if they want Kassian, Ottawa doesn't lose the asset for nothing and the Oilers get cap space at the end of the season if Paul walks too.

CycloneSweep

Sep 27, 2017
Why is everyone calling Paul 4C? Surely he'd be a 3C here right?

RNH-McDavid-Puljujarvi
Kane-Draisaitl-Hyman
McLeod-Paul-Yamamoto

?
Because we have finally started running 3 lines which means RNH at center. It worked wonders for Woodcroft when Nuge was healthy, don’t know why he changes that.

Also Paul is bad offensively so putting him with offensive wingers is a mismatch.

Reactions: Faelko

CycloneSweep

Sep 27, 2017
The Nuge third line has been the team's main strength since Woody got here.

Breaking that up for Paul makes no sense.
Yeah if you were able to move Kassian the other way you could run

Kane - McDavid - Yamamoto
Hyman - Drai - Pulju
McLeod - RNH - Foegele
Shore - Paul - Ryan

McTonyBrar

Apr 2, 2018
I'll be gone for a while for Marriage today but I will still guess

Oilers acquire Nick Paul

OR

Oilers acquire Carson Soucy

CupofOil

Knob Flavored Coffey
Aug 20, 2009
NYC
I don't get Rishaug saying there's a long term fit considering Paul is looking for a $3M x 4 year contract.
If Kassian is going the other way, they actually save a bit of cap the next 2 seasons. Any trade involving Paul would be money going out I'd assume, same with Soucy. I'd bet on a lower level deal since Holland hasn't shown the ability to offload contracts.

McAsuno

Jul 10, 2013
Edmonton
If DJ Smith likes Kassian that much, they can have him for a damn pick for all I care. That alone frees up cap space for the Oilers. But I hope it doesn't mean that they trade Kassian for Paul and Holland ink him that contract he wants. That's my worry right there.

McDoused

Feb 5, 2007
Katy <3
Man its sad when our big acquisition MIGHT be Soucy or Paul.

Ugh...

Less than 70 hours to make a move Kenny!

Jimmi McJenkins

Sometimes miracles
Jan 12, 2006
Alberta
The Nuge third line has been the team's main strength since Woody got here.

Breaking that up for Paul makes no sense.
If anything Paul pushing Ryan down adds overall.

Hell I would be interested to see how McLeod and Paul do together with, say, Holloway as a 4th line

Oilslick941611

Jul 4, 2006
Ottawa

Ugh...

Dude Holland has already stated Kane was the big acquisition. You are just setting yourself up for disappointed if you have any thoughts of a big deal happening. Look at the price Charot and Hagel got. Its insane.

Reactions: TB12 and McDoused

McDoused

Feb 5, 2007
Katy <3
Dude Holland has already stated Kane was the big acquisition. You are just setting yourself up for disappointed if you have any thoughts of a big deal happening. Look at the price Charot and Hagel got. Its insane.

I get that but he needs to figure it out.

90% of the GM's work comes down to 3 days - Trade Deadline, Draft & Free Agency. Kenny is making $5M a season and should be able to do something to improve our team.

Faelko

Aug 11, 2002

Ugh...

If there’s no goalie upgrade available then wasting assets on rentals seems pointless to me. The team as is should make the playoffs.

belair

Balls On The Crest
Apr 9, 2010
Canada
I don't see it.

Doesn't make much sense to trade for someone who has most of their value tied into playing center when you don't really have a spot to play him at center.
His value is his versatility. He plays up and down your line up. Can play net front on a PP unit and is an effective PKer.

This is the type of player Edmonton just doesn't have enough of. Big body, resourceful, defensively responsible forwards.

When Kane walks in the off-season, there's going to be a big gap in the middle six of this roster. It makes sense finding that replacement now.

McDoused

Feb 5, 2007
Katy <3
If there’s no goalie upgrade available then wasting assets on rentals seems pointless to me. The team as is should make the playoffs.

He can't improve the defence? The goal shouldn't be standing pat and hoping to make the playoffs.

I'm not saying going all in and buy UFA's but surely we have assets that we can trade to improve this team.

McDNicks17

Jul 1, 2010
Ontario
His value is his versatility. He plays up and down your line up. Can play net front on a PP unit and is an effective PKer.

This is the type of player Edmonton just doesn't have enough of. Big body, resourceful, defensively responsible forwards.

When Kane walks in the off-season, there's going to be a big gap in the middle six of this roster. It makes sense finding that replacement now.

His versatility is wasted here though. They don't need a center to play up the lineup and he'll never see the PP. You're going to be paying big assets to get him and big money to keep him and then either move him away from his natural position or play him at #4C and have him PK.

It's a good idea to find Kane's replacement now, but you're better off doing that by finding an actual winger.

Old Boys Club

Anita Max Wynn
Nov 3, 2013
Because he almost exclusively plays center.

He's taken almost 700 faceoffs this year.
Haha that would do it, my bad. Just looking through Ottawa's GDT's it looks like he plays pretty much all over the lineup. All 4 lines plus LW/C/RW. If Holland does acquire him I don't think there's any reason they'd have to force him into the centre spot.

GOilers88

#DustersWinCups
Dec 24, 2016
Soucy and Paul would be a great deadline day imo. Excellent bottom six addition and solid defensive depth. Hard nosed players who would add exactly what you need in the playoffs.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad