Rumor: Rumors and Proposals Thread: Moar NCAA FA's?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jet Walters

May 15, 2013
I wouldn't be surprised if Patches gets moved.

His speed and finishing with McDavid would be epic! He's on a great cap hit for another two years too. You'd think the Habs would need a good young center back to part with him though.

RNH for Paccioretty
Jones + Maroon + 1st for Simmonds (probably not enough)
Eberle to Vegas for a #4D and 3C. (Expansion picks. Say Petrovic and Lowry)

Paccioretty McDavid Simmonds
Lucic Drai Pulju
Caggiula Lowry Kassian
Khaira Letestu Slepy

Klefbom Larsson
Sekera Petrovic
Nurse Benning

Unrealistic, but damn that top 6 would kick ass.

Asiaoil

Vperod Bizona!
May 3, 2002
Visit site
Sure Patches would be good - but I would not mind at all picking up Plekanec for this final contract year as a 3C on the cheap if the Habs wanted to reload at center and if we could send a bit of salary back. Say Letestu and a 3rd round pick? Plekanec is pretty much done as a top 6 center but he's be a great (if wildly overpaid 3C) for a year. Keep Leon at RW over the regular season but then run McDavid, Drai, RNH, Plekanec down the middle in the playoffs.

A91

Oilers + Real Madrid
May 21, 2011
Edmonton
Sure Patches would be good - but I would not mind at all picking up Plekanec for this final contract year as a 3C on the cheap if the Habs wanted to reload at center and if we could send a bit of salary back. Say Letestu and a 3rd round pick? Plekanec is pretty much done as a top 6 center but he's be a great (if wildly overpaid 3C) for a year. Keep Leon at RW over the regular season but then run McDavid, Drai, RNH, Plekanec down the middle in the playoffs.

I'd consider Pou + 3rd for Plekanec

Cloned

Begging for Bega
Aug 25, 2003
Pouliot probably contributes more than Plekenac can at this point IMO. Pouliot is a very good penalty killer. Plekenac doesn't have the speed to do that as well.

Hockey Nightmare

Oct 25, 2007
This is why the habs were never serious cup contenders. No C depth. Their virtual #1 would be our #3. Wow, are they sure they don't want drai for subban now?

ujju2

Apr 9, 2016
Edmonton, AB
Based on McLellan's comments and trust of RNH, playing him against Thornton's line consistently, I think it's getting less likely that he gets traded. To a lesser extent, the same goes for Eberle. So time to think of creative ways to save cap space. While Pouliot's been better in the playoffs, I think that's where you start. We're probably going to see more college FAs as well.

belair

Jay Woodcroft Unemployment Stance
Apr 9, 2010
Canada
Pouliot probably contributes more than Plekenac can at this point IMO. Pouliot is a very good penalty killer. Plekenac doesn't have the speed to do that as well.

Just looking at his stats since I didn't watch a ton of Montreal this season, it seems like the Habs use Plekanec as their shutdown center. He started over 60% of his shifts in the defensive zone and managed to put up some decent possession numbers. He was their top PK center and played very little PP. He's also a very good face-off option.

By those stats I'd say he would be a substantial upgrade over Pouliot or Letestu. That being said, I can't see why Montreal would consider it.

belair

Apr 9, 2010
Canada
Based on McLellan's comments and trust of RNH, playing him against Thornton's line consistently, I think it's getting less likely that he gets traded. To a lesser extent, the same goes for Eberle. So time to think of creative ways to save cap space. While Pouliot's been better in the playoffs, I think that's where you start. We're probably going to see more college FAs as well.

I wouldn't be surprised to see Eberle moved. I think RNH is more than safe though.

Dazed and Confused

Ludicrous speed, GO!
Aug 10, 2007
Berlin, Germany
Just looking at his stats since I didn't watch a ton of Montreal this season, it seems like the Habs use Plekanec as their shutdown center. He started over 60% of his shifts in the defensive zone and managed to put up some decent possession numbers. He was their top PK center and played very little PP. He's also a very good face-off option.

By those stats I'd say he would be a substantial upgrade over Pouliot or Letestu. That being said, I can't see why Montreal would consider it.

Plekance was used in a vary similar way as RNH this year. He's can go toe to toe vs. high end competition, but his overall game will suffer for it, especially at this point in his career. But with DD/Danault, Galchenyuk as your other top 9 options he's the only one that could take on the job.

I was in favour of getting him before (something around Pleks for Ebs). But at this point I think the team would be better off maintaining a holding pattern on Ebs until Slepyshev and Pulju are a little more seasoned. The team also doesn't need to allocate his cap hit just yet.

With how this team seems to be grooming Khaira, it wouldn't surprise me to see him be given a shot as the #3C next season.

My guess for the forwards going into TC next year...

Lucic-McDavid-Draisaitl
Slepyshev-RNH-Eberle
Maroon-Khaira-Kassian
Caggiula-Letestu-Pitlick
Pakarinen

*Re-organize the LW as you see fit, I see just see Slepyshev as a good fit with Nuge and Ebs (Someone who can actually carry the puck with speed), Maroon and Kassian seem to play well of each other, and Lucic has learned to play with McDavid effectively (basing off his PP points).

McMozesmadness

5-14-6-1
Feb 17, 2013
Edmonton, AB
Looks like Foo may not be signing this weekend.

Anyways, I made a highlight reel for him. I've been sitting on it for a bit waiting for him to sign before posting it, but I thought what the heck, If he signs with another team I can just delete it or share it with that team, provided its not Calgary.

So here it is:

LINK

While putting it together and sifting through some game footage, all I can say is i'll be kinda upset if we miss out. He looks like an NHL'er to me.

Staghorn

Jul 7, 2013
Plekance was used in a vary similar way as RNH this year. He's can go toe to toe vs. high end competition, but his overall game will suffer for it, especially at this point in his career. But with DD/Danault, Galchenyuk as your other top 9 options he's the only one that could take on the job.

I was in favour of getting him before (something around Pleks for Ebs). But at this point I think the team would be better off maintaining a holding pattern on Ebs until Slepyshev and Pulju are a little more seasoned. The team also doesn't need to allocate his cap hit just yet.

With how this team seems to be grooming Khaira, it wouldn't surprise me to see him be given a shot as the #3C next season.

My guess for the forwards going into TC next year...

Lucic-McDavid-Draisaitl
Slepyshev-RNH-Eberle
Maroon-Khaira-Kassian
Caggiula-Letestu-Pitlick
Pakarinen

*Re-organize the LW as you see fit, I see just see Slepyshev as a good fit with Nuge and Ebs (Someone who can actually carry the puck with speed), Maroon and Kassian seem to play well of each other, and Lucic has learned to play with McDavid effectively (basing off his PP points).

See I look at that depth chart and think Khaira, Pitlick, and Pakarainen are barely fringe NHLers at best. Gambardella and Foo, if signed, would have just as good a shot if not better than those guys. Plus, if Eberle Is moved, for who knows what, then a spot opens up there as well. Up to AT LEAST 3 jobs up for grabs.

belair

Apr 9, 2010
Canada
See I look at that depth chart and think Khaira, Pitlick, and Pakarainen are barely fringe NHLers at best. Gambardella and Foo, if signed, would have just as good a shot if not better than those guys. Plus, if Eberle Is moved, for who knows what, then a spot opens up there as well. Up to AT LEAST 3 jobs up for grabs.

When that occurs I'd hope we're bringing someone that brings close to the level of production Eberle does or your off-season changes to the roster severely handcuff your final product. Although the motive for moving one of our higher paid forwards is to ultimately clear cap, the moves around that particular deal should try to improve the final roster in one way or another.

As much as we love the hardworking depth guy or love to hype up the shiny new college UFA, that doesn't replace natural skill. Even pencilling in Puljujarvi into the roster next fall is a tad presumptuous, let alone in our top six.

Asiaoil

Vperod Bizona!
May 3, 2002
Visit site
I wouldn't be surprised to see Eberle moved. I think RNH is more than safe though.

Yeah and it's not because he hasn't played well - he's just the most replaceable and has a big cap hit. Picking up a top 6 RH RW in the days leading up to the expansion draft makes sense since we have a slot we could use to protect the new guy - then you trade Ebs to LV or elsewhere for a 2RD. Good thing is that Ebs has rebuilt a lot of value and has demonstrated that he can play a solid 2 way game.

I'd pick up a 3C as well who would potentially drop down to 4C in the playoffs if we needed to spread out the offense and drop Drai back to 2C and Nuge to 3C.

Paralyzer008

Jan 30, 2008
If Carolina is thinking of moving Faulk, I'd jump all over that, but let's watch how Nuge does against the Ducks.

Beast of a series against San Jose, tough guy to move if Drai isn't at C.

belair

Apr 9, 2010
Canada
Yeah and it's not because he hasn't played well - he's just the most replaceable and has a big cap hit. Picking up a top 6 RH RW in the days leading up to the expansion draft makes sense since we have a slot we could use to protect the new guy - then you trade Ebs to LV or elsewhere for a 2RD. Good thing is that Ebs has rebuilt a lot of value and has demonstrated that he can play a solid 2 way game.

I'd pick up a 3C as well who would potentially drop down to 4C in the playoffs if we needed to spread out the offense and drop Drai back to 2C and Nuge to 3C.

I agree with your first point. I still think Eberle is in the upper-echelon of quality RWs in this league, but like you said, his cap hit will prove to be a problem in the near future, so capitalising on his value soon is probably a smart move because you're right, a lot of that offense is replaceable.

As for the return, I'd be very surprised to see him traded straight up for a defender. The Vegas scenario may be possible but the trade possibilities for them are very murky at this point and the fact that they're also a divisional rival likely works against the likelihood of a deal like that occurring.

5 Mins 4 Ftg

Life is better with no expectations.
Sponsor
Apr 3, 2016
Edmonton
If Carolina is thinking of moving Faulk, I'd jump all over that, but let's watch how Nuge does against the Ducks.

Beast of a series against San Jose, tough guy to move if Drai isn't at C.

I don't think RNH is going anywhere and if Faulk is going it's probably to the Avalanche for Duchesne imo.

McVirginOil

Jun 30, 2014
Reminder that Blues HAVE to trade salary for nothing to make room for Parayko's contract.

They have 2.6 mil for next year, Oilers can easily offer more than that and only give up a 2nd rounder.

I dunno anyone that wants Lehetra, Brodziak, or Hutton.

belair

Apr 9, 2010
Canada
Reminder that Blues HAVE to trade salary for nothing to make room for Parayko's contract.

They have 2.6 mil for next year, Oilers can easily offer more than that and only give up a 2nd rounder.

I can see them floating Yak's rights and a prospect or two to Vegas to take Lehtera's contract.

McVirginOil

Jun 30, 2014
I can see them floating Yak's rights and a prospect or two to Vegas to take Lehtera's contract.

I think Vegas would be better off not doing that and offer sheeting Parayko, they'd probably have a lot of cap to do that.

You'd have to wow Vegas with something thats better than Parayko.

McDNicks17

Jul 1, 2010
Ontario

I don't think they would have signed Berglund to that $4.7M extension without some kind of plan to keep Parayko.

Cloned

Begging for Bega
Aug 25, 2003
I don't think they would have signed Berglund to that $4.7M extension without some kind of plan to keep Parayko.

Pretty obvious they're going to try to offload Lehtera and Statsny. Probably will retool the defense.

thadd

Oil4Life
Jun 9, 2007
Canada
Hanifin likely goes for Duchene, if anything. Faulk likely goes nowhere.

Hanifin's value is too high to be traded and Colorado is much more desperate than Carolina at this point so I'm pretty sure it's Faulk that gets traded.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad