Rumor: Rumors and Proposals Thread: Moar NCAA FA's?

Status
Not open for further replies.

bobbythebrain

Jul 30, 2016
How do you figure that.....:confused:

GF 2016-17 = 243
GF 2015-16 = 199

Exactly. After McD came back last year and Hall was on the 2nd line his offense dried up. I doubt he would have put up much more than Lucic in that role while providing nowhere near the intangibles

Raoul Duke

Feb 21, 2010
Maroon - McDavid - Caggiula
Lucic - Draisaitl - Slepyshev
xxxxxx - Nuge - Puljujarvi
Pitlick - Letestu - Kassian

Klefbom - Larsson
Sekera - xxxxx/Russell
Nurse - Benning

Talbot
Brossoit

Based on how the playoffs are going I feel this should be the template in the off-season. This group is establishing themselves.

Eberle and Pouliot somehow need to go.

Close to my thoughts only I'd go a little further.
I'd keep Caggiula on the left and add a RW to play top 6. I'd prefer to replace RNH with a 2 way center who can win faceoffs. A second pair RD who can move the puck would be huge. Maybe keep him as a winger or get him a winger that can take draws.
They have to be players who are upgrades of course. Eberle and Pouliot will likely rebound so keeping them wouldn't be the end of the world.
RNH isn't a bad player but face offs, while mostly over rated, are killing us a little in line matching and critical situations.
I'd love to keep Russell in a bottom pair role but his price point is probably prohibitive and I think we need that puck mover.
Salaries for incoming players matter. If we take in a big contract it needs to be the second pairing D.
After next season RNH, Ebs, Pouliot and Fayne need to be gone.

Draiskull

Oct 26, 2005

GF 2016-17 = 243
GF 2015-16 = 199

to be fair the guy said secondary scoring...

once you take out the production by Maroon-McDavid-Drai the numbers cant be too great.

86G-133A-219pts were scored by the top line..

Aerrol

༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ
Sep 18, 2014
Firstly, I was talking about the forward group only in the post you quoted.

Ask Coyotes fans. Rieder is one of their most defensively reliable forwards. He is a fixture on their PK and led all forwards in shorthanded icetime, so you comparing his game to Strome now has me laughing. Have you watched Rieder play???

As for DeAngelo, we do happen to have a need for a RH PP QB. IF the organization thinks Benning can slot in on the 2nd pair next year a guy like DeAngelo as the #6 makes sense. He could be the next Shattenkirk in terms of PP production.

I admittedly don't watch the Yotes more than absolutely necessary, but nothing about the stats I've seen or his play screams to me that he's some kind of defensive ace. More of a semi-skilled all-around player who's fit into the role because, well, the Yotes suck.

I'm sorry I hit a sore spot by comparing Rieder and Strome, but I got the sense from your post about balance that you preferred another big banging body, which Rieder - correct me if I'm off base here - definitely is not.

Draiskull

Oct 26, 2005
Close to my thoughts only I'd go a little further.
I'd keep Caggiula on the left and add a RW to play top 6. I'd prefer to replace RNH with a 2 way center who can win faceoffs. A second pair RD who can move the puck would be huge. Maybe keep him as a winger or get him a winger that can take draws.
They have to be players who are upgrades of course. Eberle and Pouliot will likely rebound so keeping them wouldn't be the end of the world.
RNH isn't a bad player but face offs, while mostly over rated, are killing us a little in line matching and critical situations.
I'd love to keep Russell in a bottom pair role but his price point is probably prohibitive and I think we need that puck mover.
Salaries for incoming players matter. If we take in a big contract it needs to be the second pairing D.
After next season RNH, Ebs, Pouliot and Fayne need to be gone.

possibly a fluke but Nuge has won 21 draws the last 2 games. 63% in game 6 and 53% in game 5. He might be learning a thing or 2 this series.

oobga

Tier 2 Fan
Aug 1, 2003

once you take out the production by Maroon-McDavid-Drai the numbers cant be too great.

Someone already worked out on here that our depth scoring beyond our top 3 guys was better than any other Pacific team I believe. We are way ahead of anyone in the Pacific this year. It's too bad we play in the stingiest division in the NHL, we coulda scored more, but we did damn good this year. And it's remarkable that we did so well with a number of guys underachieving still.

And like others mentioned. Hall faded when he wasn't getting the prime offensive ice time last year. Hall needs to be touching the puck all night long and needs loads of chances to get production because he is not a great finisher. The kind of player that can go through long droughts when he isn't getting fed loads of ice time.

Asiaoil

Vperod Bizona!
May 3, 2002
Visit site

Then he should prove it instead of simply stating it as gospel when overall GF numbers are up substantially. Hall disappeared the final 20 games of the regular season last year.

Jet Walters

May 15, 2013
Disagree with your opinion of RNH, to me he's a 55 point guy, I see this season as an outlier, he will bounce be back to the 50 point mark.

Eberle for a 3c does not make us a better team, you can get way more value for Eberle and just sign a 3c, Hall's offense was definitely missed during the regular season, the team had no secondary scoring.

RNH is capable of that 50-55 point mark for sure. In the right situation he could be a 65 point guy IMO. Put RNH on a team like Ottawa who has a ton of right handed goal scorers that play a physical game and a RH PP stud on the backend like Karlsson and sure, RNH could even put up 70 points in an 82 game season.

The problem is it will not happen here. Unless RNH is playing on the 1st unit PP and playing at ES with McDavid or Drai, the chance he hits even 50 points in an Oilers uniform again are near 0% in my opinion.

Eberle for a 3C who could match up against tough competition is a big win too. It frees up a line centered by Drai or McDavid to feast on 3rd line opposition, at least at home.

oobga

Tier 2 Fan
Aug 1, 2003
Then he should prove it instead of simply stating it as gospel when overall GF numbers are up substantially. Hall disappeared the final 20 games of the regular season last year.

13 points in 30 games when McDavid came back from his injury. He completely faded back and watched the McDavid show.

Stud Muffin

Jan 2, 2014
Manitoba

GF 2016-17 = 243
GF 2015-16 = 199

Connor McDavid. Factored in on 100 of those 243 is Crazy good, he covered up the secondary scoring problems all year.
RNH,Eberle and Pouliot all had there worst years here and should have probably had 15 more goals from them.

Draiskull

Oct 26, 2005
RNH is capable of that 50-55 point mark for sure. In the right situation he could be a 65 point guy IMO. Put RNH on a team like Ottawa who has a ton of right handed goal scorers that play a physical game and a RH PP stud on the backend like Karlsson and sure, RNH could even put up 70 points in an 82 game season.

The problem is it will not happen here. Unless RNH is playing on the 1st unit PP and playing at ES with McDavid or Drai, the chance he hits even 50 points in an Oilers uniform again are near 0% in my opinion.

Eberle for a 3C who could match up against tough competition is a big win too.
It frees up a line centered by Drai or McDavid to feast on 3rd line opposition, at least at home.
so Eberle+ for Zajac?
Hall gets his buddy.. we get a solid 3C who shoots left and is very good on the draw.

CantHaveTkachev

Legends
Nov 30, 2004
St. OILbert, AB
Connor McDavid. Factored in on 100 of those 243 is Crazy good, he covered up the secondary scoring problems all year.
RNH,Eberle and Pouliot all had there worst years here and should have probably had 15 more goals from them.

Hall scored as many goals and 2 more points than Eberle...he was gonna be the answer to our secondary scoring?

Jet Walters

May 15, 2013
I admittedly don't watch the Yotes more than absolutely necessary, but nothing about the stats I've seen or his play screams to me that he's some kind of defensive ace. More of a semi-skilled all-around player who's fit into the role because, well, the Yotes suck.

I'm sorry I hit a sore spot by comparing Rieder and Strome, but I got the sense from your post about balance that you preferred another big banging body, which Rieder - correct me if I'm off base here - definitely is not.

No, no. I screamed for big bodies who could play in the top 9 for years but that is not much of a concern anymore. It's more about filling out the roster with guys who compete and are hard to play against in all 3 zones now IMO, no matter their size. Rieder fits that bill and Strome does not at all.

Rieder was 6th in the entire NHL amongst forwards in total PK time this year. He's hard on the puck with a good forecheck similar to RNH. He gets in the corners and is very greasy with the puck coming out of the cycle. I think he could be a great fit with Lucic and Drai on the 2nd line. Plus the whole German connection with Leon. They could handle the big top lines in the Pacific and come out on top most nights. freeing up McDavid to unleash hell.

Raoul Duke

Feb 21, 2010
possibly a fluke but Nuge has won 21 draws the last 2 games. 63% in game 6 and 53% in game 5. He might be learning a thing or 2 this series.

Did not realize that. If he could get it together on the dot he'd be fine for another year.
I still think he'll need to go due to cap realities though.

Jet Walters

May 15, 2013
Didn't someone compare the forwards in the Pacific taking out the 3 highest totals from each team (McDavid/Drai/Maroon for the Oilers) and found the Oilers forwards actually scored more than their divisional rivals? This secondary scoring issue is way overblown and fake news damn it!!! Did people really think RNH and Eberle were not going to see a dip in production playing less minutes, on the 2nd PP unit, and 2nd line roles at ES?

oobga

Tier 2 Fan
Aug 1, 2003
Let's not do the Hall thing again right now.

Please.

My bad for participating. Gotta lighten the mood.

taylor-hall-towel-throw.gif

belair

Jay Woodcroft Unemployment Stance
Apr 9, 2010
Canada
A 3rd line of Cags/Strome/Kassian isn't the worst thing in the world as the line has a decent mix of skill sets. My issue would be running out McDavid, RNH, and Strome as your top 3 centers. That is where the balance is severely lacking.

I've seen a lot of posts by you lately talking about moves that make us a good regular season team. Well I've got news for you- the cup isn't won in the regular season.

And I've got news for you. The team you enter the season with shouldn't be the same you exit with. We should be aiming to improve the regular season record next year in the off-season. When that record improves, we can commit to a run early and then trade for our playoff needs. Doing that prevents you from tying yourself to long-term contracts--something we need to avoid like the plague.

The reason why I'd be comfortable filling the Eberle slot via UFA is because 90% of the available players are in their mid-to-late 30s. So you can get quality without committing to term.

It's also really important to note...the lines you see working right now...DON'T work in the regular season. Remember Fernando Pisani and his clutch shot? We paid him handsomely for it and...:p:

We're dreaming right now. Some of these guys will turn back into pumpkins in six months.

Stud Muffin

Jan 2, 2014
Manitoba
Hall scored as many goals and 2 more points than Eberle...he was gonna be the answer to our secondary scoring?

Hall Missed time, no need to pretend, Hall played here for years everyone knows he's better then Eberle. therw is no way Taylor Hall does not help your secondary scoring.

Draiskull

Oct 26, 2005
Lets trade for Hall then? not sure why he is being brought into discussion here.

For me that trade only made NJ is a legit destination for Eberle. They are hurting for D so I would do Eberle+rights to Russell for Zajac

Stud Muffin

Jan 2, 2014
Manitoba
Lets trade for Hall then? not sure why he is being brought into discussion here.

For me that trade only made NJ is a legit destination for Eberle. They are hurting for D so I would do Eberle+rights to Russell for Zajac

Maybe because we're having a discussion about secondary scoring.

Zajac would fit nice but in no way would I want to take on that contract unless there was significant salary retention.

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
New thread is up, less Eakins talk please, trying to limit HFOil posters levels of indigestion.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad