Rumor: Rumors and Proposals Thread: Moar NCAA FA's?

Status
Not open for further replies.

smokersarejokers

Jul 7, 2005
Letestu was an assistant coach in Bonnyville during the lockout at the same time that Spencer Foo was playing for the Pontiacs. I wonder if that'll play a factor.

I also think that using a late round pick on his brother isn't a bad idea either.

Playing at home + McDavid + Letestu + the Oilers lack on depth at RW + the fact that Benning and Caggiula are full time NHLers should be enough to convince him to sign.

5 Mins 4 Ftg

Life is better with no expectations.
Sponsor
Apr 3, 2016
Edmonton
To remain competitive when our salaries spike for 97 & 29 the Oilers like Pittsburgh and Chicago will have to win a lot of College FA signings.

McFlyingV

Feb 22, 2013
Edmonton, Alberta
I've mentioned it before, but Letestu was also Spencer Foo's assistant coach in Bonnyville during the lockout season.

I think we have a pretty good chance of getting him, and I think he has a valued skill set. From the footage I've seen he's not quite as fast or shifty as Vecchione and maybe doesn't have quite as good hands, but he does have a bigger frame with room to still fill out, and appears to have a better shot. I also wouldn't worry a whole lot about him only putting up big numbers this year. He had a solid first year of NCAA, and last season even Vecchione struggled. He's also a year younger than Vecchione, and I believe this was his first season where he was really given the opportunity to play top line and top PP for the full season.

Hope we get him because I think he could become an NHLer with middle 6 potential similar to Caggiula. Considering our need for some more forward prospects I think it would be a great fit for both sides even without considering the McDavid factor, hometown, and Letestu connections. Seeing Roger's rocking had to have given him goosebumps as well at what his future could look like.

Edit: smokerarejokers beat me to it on the Letestu point.

Last edited:

Faelko

Aug 11, 2002
Forget the hockey angle, as a huge Foo Fighters fan, I support this potential signing. Plus, who wouldn't want FOO on the back of an orange Oilers jersey?

ImmuneEH

Apr 2, 2017
Would Foo be starting in the AHL? When people say we don't have RW depth I just don't buy it. Draisaitl is likely starting at RW with McDavid next season unless you trade Nuge. 1RW is off the table atm. Eberle is the shoe in for 2RW, and has really developed parts of his game people have criticized him for, including me. Puljujarvi will really try to make an impression for top 6 RW right out of camp.

Top 6 RW is essentially off the table for Foo.

Kassian is a shoe-in for a bottom 6 RW position. Then you have Pakarinen, Slepyshev, and Pitlick fighting for the remaining positions. Foo can probably beat out Pakarinen, but Slepyshev is awfully close to being a full-time NHL player, has top six potential. Question is, how will he look in training camp after another off season of training? Then you have Pitlick, who may not even have a contract. But if he shows up to training camp at 100% how do you not sign him? He was a great player in our bottom-6 and we know what he can be.

Will everyone I mentioned be here next year? Probably not. But if I'm Foo and I'm looking at our RW depth as it is today, I'd probably move on to another club where I have a better chance of starting in the NHL.

McFlyingV

Feb 22, 2013
Edmonton, Alberta
Would Foo be starting in the AHL? When people say we don't have RW depth I just don't buy it. Draisaitl is likely starting at RW with McDavid next season unless you trade Nuge. 1RW is off the table atm. Eberle is the shoe in for 2RW, and has really developed parts of his game people have criticized him for, including me. Puljujarvi will really try to make an impression for top 6 RW right out of camp.

Top 6 RW is essentially off the table for Foo.

Kassian is a shoe-in for a bottom 6 RW position. Then you have Pakarinen, Slepyshev, and Pitlick fighting for the remaining positions. Foo can probably beat out Pakarinen, but Slepyshev is awfully close to being a full-time NHL player, has top six potential. Question is, how will he look in training camp after another off season of training? Then you have Pitlick, who may not even have a contract. But if he shows up to training camp at 100% how do you not sign him? He was a great player in our bottom-6 and we know what he can be.

Will everyone I mentioned be here next year? Probably not. But if I'm Foo and I'm looking at our RW depth as it is today, I'd probably move on to another club where I have a better chance of starting in the NHL.

Don't think he's a shoe in to be an NHL starter with any team next year. While a quicker spot into the NHL may sound appealing, its not always the smartest idea on a poor club with little direction. The Oilers have direction and they have 2 guys who finished 1 and 8 in NHL scoring. Both those players happen to be natural centres, and project as the top 2 C's going forward barring a huge breakout offensively from Nuge. Eberle may be here next year, or he may not, but when you're handing over 4 years of RFA rights to a team like Foo will be, you'd better consider the long-term implications rather than just getting into the NHL faster. Its pretty easy to look at Chicago and Pittsburgh and realize there will be plenty of opportunity for a guy on his ELC to get a chance to play with superstars due to the salary cap.

Edmonton would be a good choice for Foo career wise, and if he wants to be back in his hometown near his friends and family, and with a familiar face in Letestu, then it seems like a good fit.

Jet Walters

May 15, 2013
Given our lack of RH forwards, are we so sure Draisaitl's future is on the RW? Wouldn't he be just as effective on LW? Then we could at least add a RH shot to the top line. I still think Chia sees him as our 2C as early as next year though. He's just waiting for the right deal to come along for RNH, and Ebs too.

BarDownBobo

Oct 19, 2012
City of Champions
Given our lack of RH forwards, are we so sure Draisaitl's future is on the RW? Wouldn't he be just as effective on LW? Then we could at least add a RH shot to the top line. I still think Chia sees him as our 2C as early as next year though. He's just waiting for the right deal to come along for RNH, and Ebs too.

The reason they play Drai on the right side is because he is so amazing with his backhand passes. They'll be moving him back to C long before they think about putting him on the left side I think.

Jet Walters

May 15, 2013
The reason they play Drai on the right side is because he is so amazing with his backhand passes. They'll be moving him back to C long before they think about putting him on the left side I think.

As amazing as his backhand passed are doesn't it stand to reason that his forehand passed are just as good, if not better? You know, like that sweet feed in OT to Desharnais the other night. It's not like he's restricted to passing either way on a set wing. Playing the wing on your natural side does have it's benefits, especially along the boards.

belair

Jay Woodcroft Unemployment Stance
Apr 9, 2010
Canada

Seeing how RNH's line has been utilized in these playoffs and later on in the regular season it's hard to see how Chiarelli would be envisioning Draisaitl transitioning there next season. The Oilers are experiencing team success having Draisaitl on McDavid's wing and RNH centering the second line taking key matchups. I can't see why McLellan or Chiarelli would drastically alter that.

Todd McLellan has commented on how he prefers versatility in his forwards and when you look at his usage of a guy like Patrick Marleau it's hard to see them moving away from that setup.

Old Boys Club

Anita Max Wynn
Nov 3, 2013
Well I was hoping Chia would be able to get Sobotka from the Blues this offseason, but with the way he's playing this year in the playoffs I doubt he gets traded.

SK13

non torsii subligarium
Jul 23, 2007
Edmonton
IIRC oilers landed cagguila still with hall on the team and Lucic pretty heavily rumored to be coming here

Then promptly played him at C from like day 1 of rookie camp.

I suspect Lowetide is right about him getting maybe a bit of a promise for NHL time this year.

Mr Positive

Cap Crunch Incoming
Nov 20, 2013
Then promptly played him at C from like day 1 of rookie camp.

I suspect Lowetide is right about him getting maybe a bit of a promise for NHL time this year.
To me, that's possible that we promised him that, but it's not like there are obvious candidates who should be ahead of him. Lander may have been better in that moment, but maybe McLellan was on board with developing Caggiula just because his ceiling is higher, and he needs that higher-ceiling player. Slepyshev may be an example of a player that could have played more I guess, but even there, he's not a center. McLellan has a history with preferring centers.

Even if it's true there's a promise, what does that matter? I doubt players really buy into promises that much. What's more important is our record with FAs. We have built a reputation for playing college FAs in the NHL and it's lead to us signing more guys this way. Schultz, Oesterle, and even Pakarinen apply (Pak not college, but still a FA prospect), and all have been pushed up the depth chart at times.

Foo must be impressed with how Caggiula and Benning have been given big roles so quickly. Caggiula even on the top line in the playoffs for a bit. If we're talking promises, one promise I could see us making to Foo is that we won't sign Pitlick. That would be obvious competition, as a right shot RWer.

Took a pill in Sbisa

2showToffoliIwascool
Apr 23, 2004
Australia
Seeing how RNH's line has been utilized in these playoffs and later on in the regular season it's hard to see how Chiarelli would be envisioning Draisaitl transitioning there next season. The Oilers are experiencing team success having Draisaitl on McDavid's wing and RNH centering the second line taking key matchups. I can't see why McLellan or Chiarelli would drastically alter that.

Todd McLellan has commented on how he prefers versatility in his forwards and when you look at his usage of a guy like Patrick Marleau it's hard to see them moving away from that setup.

Yeah I'm finding it less and less likely that RNH gets traded at all. Wingers are a lot more disposable/replaceable. If one of Draisaitl or McDavid go down next season we'd be screwed without RNH.

The Bored Man

5-14-6-1
Jul 2, 2009
Edmonton
Friedman says that Kovalchuk might come back. Thoughts? I reckon that Calgary would make a big push. They need a RW.

I'm not certain, but NJ should still have his rights. So it would be a trade, not only a signing. Still, the success of Panarin and Radulov might make GMs more interested than they would have been a couple of years ago.

Spawn

Something in the water
Feb 20, 2006
Edmonton
Friedman says that Kovalchuk might come back. Thoughts? I reckon that Calgary would make a big push. They need a RW.

I'm not certain, but NJ should still have his rights. So it would be a trade, not only a signing. Still, the success of Panarin and Radulov might make GMs more interested than they would have been a couple of years ago.

I joked around Christmas that Kovalchuk would be the dream solution to our need for a RHS on our top PP unit.

Doesn't seem all that realistic though.

Speaking of unrealistic. How about signing Joe Thornton to a 1 year deal to be our 3rd line C next year and give him one final shot at a Cup (and help us push for the repeat :sarcasm:)

Namtsua

Apr 4, 2011
BC
I joked around Christmas that Kovalchuk would be the dream solution to our need for a RHS on our top PP unit.

Doesn't seem all that realistic though.

Speaking of unrealistic. How about signing Joe Thornton to a 1 year deal to be our 3rd line C next year and give him one final shot at a Cup (and help us push for the repeat :sarcasm:)

I actually think bringing in one of Thornton or Marleau for a year wouldn't be a terrible idea. :yo:

A91

Oilers + Real Madrid
May 21, 2011
Edmonton

RHS but has always played LW

A91

Oilers + Real Madrid
May 21, 2011
Edmonton
I actually think bringing in one of Thornton or Marleau for a year wouldn't be a terrible idea. :yo:

No to Marleau, he's pretty washed up.
I'm a fan of Jumbo, and by the sounds of it so is TMac, but i'd rather have a faster and tbh more successful center come in. Also likely wants 3 years which is a big NO.

A91

Oilers + Real Madrid
May 21, 2011
Edmonton
Heres a crazy idea that will never happen. Would make us instant contenders.

1) Eberle + Caleb Jones + 2017 1st for Henrique + rights to Kovy

2) 2017 3rd + 2018 2nd + Pouliot to DET for Mike Green.

Lucic - McDavid - Draisaitl
Kovalchuk - RNH - Maroon
Cagiula - Henrique - Puljujarvi
Slepyshev - Letestu - Kassian

Klefbom - Larsson
Sekera - Green
Nurse - Benning

I get NJ needs D but one can dream

alphahelix

Feb 15, 2007
Wasn't the Kovalchuk contract nullified by the league to save NJD from crippling cap recapture penalties? I dunno.

But that would be a terrible deal either way. Caleb Jones is good. 2017 1st is critical.. Eberle is Eberle. Henrique isn't enough.

Canovin

1% is the new 11.5%
Oct 27, 2010
If the Oilers sign Kovy, I hope we also trade for Gusev. That's 2 firepower added. Instantly makes us contenders

Cloned

Begging for Bega
Aug 25, 2003
Crazy prediction:

Bergevin panics and trades Pacioretty. Chia gets him for much cheaper than expected.

belair

Jay Woodcroft Unemployment Stance
Apr 9, 2010
Canada
If Kovy comes back it's probably the same situation as Sobotka...he goes and plays for the team that owns his rights. Besides he's probably going to price himself out of many markets immediately. He's 35, dude's gonna get paid.

As for Jumbo, that'd be a dream pick up for a year or two. He's still one of the premier play-makers in the game. Unlikely, but an interesting idea. My dream deadline pickup next season would be Rick Nash.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad