Rumor: Rumors and Proposals Thread: "Flies in the Vasoline"

Status
Not open for further replies.

KlefDown

I adore Soli
May 2, 2014
I wouldn't be that negative. I don't think we will be going anywhere next year either but really, we are one great off season away from being good. The issue is, do we have a manager or managing group in place to have that off season?
no, I'm not being negative. I'm being realistic.

we are in year 8 of McDavid ffs. we have effectively wasted over 60% of McDrai's prime on bullshit years
b
lame chiarelli, blame nicholson, blame holland, blame our next GM, blame trudeau, doesn't change the fact that this organization has no leadership, no identity, no mission.

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
no, I'm not being negative. I'm being realistic.

we are in year 8 of McDavid ffs. we have effectively wasted over 60% of McDrai's prime on bullshit years
b
lame chiarelli, blame nicholson, blame holland, blame our next GM, blame trudeau, doesn't change the fact that this organization has no leadership, no identity, no mission.

They just continually have a bottom 1/2/3 GM in the league every year.

That's really all there is to it.

The results that follow after that are predictable.

Reactions: KlefDown

McDoused

Feb 5, 2007
Katy <3
I think Holland has learned the hard way that Edmonton isnt as attractive as Detroit for players.

It's already been rumored this year that Fleury didnt want to waive and now Varlamov.

Markstrom chose Calgary. Holtby didnt want to play here. Kenny also thought he had Kuemper but Colorado overpaid for a UFA.

There are only so many goaltenders on the market and none of them wanted to be here. When you factor in that we also have to dump the Koskinen contract his hands are pretty tied. This isnt NHL 22.

Reactions: TB12

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
I think Holland has learned the hard way that Edmonton isnt as attractive as Detroit for players.

It's already been rumored this year that Fleury didnt want to waive and now Varlamov.

Markstrom chose Calgary. Holtby didnt want to play here. Kenny also thought he had Kuemper but Colorado overpaid for a UFA.

There are only so many goaltenders on the market and none of them wanted to be here. When you factor in that we also have to dump the Koskinen contract his hands are pretty tied. This isnt NHL 22.

Bull shit.

Holland has a history of going cheap in net, has done so in Detroit.

He also has a history of making gambles on very old players (also see: Detroit).

He was OK with this tandem and actually thought it would work.

He could have bought out Koskinen instead of Neal too ... why the f*** we did that now to incur a cap penalty for 2 extra years as a price for this "we're all in!" season is laughably stupid.

His first priority in the summer should have been buying out Koskinen and finding a legit goalie.

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009

The one thing they could've done is been more aggressive for someone like Vanecek or Driedger who were going into the expansion draft.

Even after the expansion draft they could've been more aggressive and got one of them before WSH traded back for Vanecek.

I realize not everyone was/is an option and even I've said I've had some questions around a lot of the guys that were moved this year, but at the same time we had some very large questions about going another year with what we had.

McDoused

Feb 5, 2007
Katy <3
The one thing they could've done is been more aggressive for someone like Vanecek or Driedger who were going into the expansion draft.

Even after the expansion draft they could've been more aggressive and got one of them before WSH traded back for Vanecek.

I realize not everyone was/is an option and even I've said I've had some questions around a lot of the guys that were moved this year, but at the same time we had some very large questions about going another year with what we had.

For sure. Holland is being paid 5M a year for reason. He needs to find a way.

McDoused

Feb 5, 2007
Katy <3
Bull shit.

Holland has a history of going cheap in net, has done so in Detroit.

He also has a history of making gambles on very old players (also see: Detroit).

He was OK with this tandem and actually thought it would work.

He could have bought out Koskinen instead of Neal too ... why the f*** we did that now to incur a cap penalty for 2 extra years as a price for this "we're all in!" season is laughably stupid.

His first priority in the summer should have been buying out Koskinen and finding a legit goalie.

You would have rather kept Neal on the roster than Koskinen? That's rich.

Koskinen has actually been decent this year for what he is. Truth is Chiarelli failed by handcuffing the Oilers with the Lucic and Koskinen contracts. Holland has then failed to move assets to move out either contract.

Oilhawks

Oden's Ride Over Nordland
Nov 24, 2011

Koskinen has actually been decent this year for what he is. Truth is Chiarelli failed by handcuffing the Oilers with the Lucic and Koskinen contracts. Holland has then failed to move assets to move out either contract.

It’s funny because Neal in the roster and someone like Driedger in and this team wouldn’t really be any better off in the standings. Especially considering Tippett would have still played the hell out of Smith

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007

The cap savings from buying out either Koskinen or Neal is basically the same, the difference is Neal incurs a 4 year cap penalty (basically erases any savings we get from the Drai contract), whereas Koskinen buy out would only have been a 2 year cap penalty.

I would've just buried Neal in the AHL this year and maybe you can move him in the summer when he has only one year left to an Arizona or maybe he'd agree to a voluntary LTIR rather than play in the AHL.

Heavy Dee

May 29, 2005

He is the highest paid GM in the league. He knew what he signed up for. Don't make excuses for him.

BTW he ruined Detroit as well.

Reactions: McAsuno
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad