Proposal: Rumors and Proposals Thread: An Athanasiou a Day Would Keep the Flames at Bay

Status
Not open for further replies.

CupofOil

Knob Flavored Coffey
Aug 20, 2009
NYC
If he is at even $7M and won't budge I think the Oilers will go to arbitration. $8M would make him tied for the 5th highest paid defenseman in the league.

In arbitration my guess is that he gets $5-6M. The Oilers could use someone like Parayko as a comparable.

The Parayko contract would be the equivalent of near $7m by this upcoming year if that's the comparable they're pointing to. Parayko is a good deal better than Nurse IMO.

Reactions: Mr Positive

Wewillrise

Jul 25, 2015
Wonder if Koivu would be willing to come to Edm as a rental? Still drawing at 52% and is defensively responsible. How much would he cost, would he want to?

Little Fury

Jun 21, 2006
It was frustrating trying to explain that with the Drai contract.

Players signing eight year contracts are likely going to be paid whatever the player and team think his market value will be in year 3-4 of that contract. No agent is going to let their client sign an eight year contract at their current market value because that's going to end up a colossal steal for likely six or seven years of the contract.

If the team is looking to sign Nurse for eight years, think to yourself what would you consider paying him in three or four years.

Drai was 20 when he signed his big deal. Nurse is 25. I don't think it's realistic to expect him to be much more than he is right now so I'm not sure there's much argument to be made that an overpay now will end up looking good down the road unless the cap explodes.

Reactions: Bryanbryoil

McTonyBrar

Apr 2, 2018
To be fair, if he came in asking for 6.5m, he'd probably get talked down to less anyways.
Obviously agents are gonna come in high and try to negotiate somewhere in the middle of their ask and the teams offer. He wouldn't be a good agent if he didn't ask for the moon.

Also isn't there pressure from the NHLPA to basically not leave a cent on the table?

Of course he's going to ask for the highest. Don't be so surprised. The agent asks for the most. The team says no and they negotiate on a fair deal. Voila. The art of negotiating a contract

Reactions: 3IR

OfCorsiDid

54 goals? Must've been the money!
Mar 20, 2017
Toronto, ON
Werenski is just starting his post ELC bridge deal whereas Nurse is just finishing his, so I don't think the team would have a leg there.

I agree though, Morrissey and Provorov are the best comparable's. Morrissey in particular is about as close as you can get...both coming off of the same bridge deal, same age, same draft year and apprx position, very similar stats.

I certainly can't see Nurse coming in less than Morrissey's 6.25.

Oh I know, but they have about as much of a leg to stand on as Nurse does asking for 8.

It’s a negotiation tactic, he starts at 8, you start at 5. We probably end up around 7. Negotiation my dude.

Anarchism

John Henry
May 23, 2019
northern alberta
Sign him nowish for 6ish long term.....if he doesnt take it go after peitrangelo first.....then if that doesnt work....give nurse what he wants....but preferably a tradeable contract.....

Jones may end up the better player in two or three years.

Then if you give nurse 8 what do you have to give...bear....bouchard.....jones etc?

Its a pretty pivotal contract IMO.
I agree with the last two statements of this post...Petro is sugar plums though
This contract is pivotal...not just for how much we pay others in the future .....This will be the one where the agent is screaming expansion money TV deal money.....but pivotal because it will dictate the direction we build our team in...
Darnell is a defenseman with a couple of very big pluses and intangibles but also with a couple of large flaws.

If you trade Darnell you wont be replacing his skill set easily or at all....so the defenseman that comes in will be of a different skill set and push our defense differently and maybe our forwards as well. This can be a good thing ...not just bad....

Holland though has tended to overpay talent from within (sometimes very wrongly) because he is definitely not elite in moving assets. This is why i have some fear he will overpay....even considering cap increases over the next 3 years...
7 million does seem an overpay and one can only hope that Holland uses this as his line in the sand...

Last edited:

OfCorsiDid

54 goals? Must've been the money!
Mar 20, 2017
Toronto, ON
Trouba is a closer comparison that one might think.

Trouba has a higher career PPG than Nurse (Trouba .48 / Nurse .33).

But the last 3 years things are catching up quick. Based on the last 3 years it is much closer (Trouba .51 / Nurse .41)

Also factor in that Trouba gets over double the PP time that Darnell gets.

You put Darnell back in Klefbom's spot (on the PP) for a few games and watch his PP totals increase playing on that lethal PP.

Players about the same age. Trouba signed one year earlier to his deal. Nurse signing one year later so would expect his contract to be more per year relatively speaking (inflation).

If you take away salary, I would rather have Nurse than Trouba for equal dollars.

The only good argument that you can make in favor of Trouba is that he is a RHD and he has a slightly higher PPG when compared to Nurse.

And by the time all is said and done, I bet Nurse signs for closer to 7 than 8. Frankly, Nurse is worth every penny at $7 mill per year x 8.

EDIT: And for what it is worth, Lucic would fight Trouba easy. Lucic just skates away from Nurse. That means something.

While I agree with some of this, it’s probably not in the team’s interest to pay a “close-to-Trouba” defenceman Trouba dollars.

The whole handedness thing is huge in the NHL which is understandable, but that’s not the only thing. Trouba has played almost 100 more NHL games than Nurse and has nearly double the points. He’s also played double the number of playoff games and has demonstrated the ability to QB a powerplay.

That and Trouba’s advanced stats look a lot better with a larger sample size:
4DC26A5A-32FF-424A-A6F9-72C12147DBCE.jpeg

So based on the above, I firmly believe he should get 6-6.5, but based on cap considerations he’ll likely get 6.75-7.25 which is steep, but not debilitating.

Reactions: bucktown

OilerTitanFan

Feb 26, 2019
That's a whole lot more then what we're expecting.

Where's Nurse getting his 8 mil dollar figure from?
This is only a rumor. Unless i hear from his agent or right out of Nurse's mouth, I will not believe it. No other team would pay him 8mill.

SK13

non torsii subligarium
Jul 23, 2007
Edmonton
We're probably 6 months ahead of when that contract needs to be signed. OF COURSE his agent is using an outlier comparison. That's the agent doing their job.

The market on Nurse is pretty well set by Morrissey and Lindell and he'll wind up signing in the same ballpark.

OilerTitanFan

Feb 26, 2019
Forsberg would be great but I doubt that Nash would move him for anything less than a mint.
That's right. The ask starts with a first, second and one of samorukov, benson or bouchard. That is a steep price to pay but eventually the oilers will need to make such a deal if they want to make a run.

OilerTitanFan

Feb 26, 2019
Who are you to second guess the longest serving ...and extremely successful GM in the modern age...he has out manouvered almost everyone...
Very successful at drafting and he has 5 picks in the first 3 rounds ...while his main players arent 22 they are in their mid to late twenties for the most part... and he has a few players prospects coming???
His team is nothing like the sharks or kings...or ducks...
Longest serving. Yes. Successful? Until he hoists a cup, the doubt is still there. He has built a solid roster but getting Duchene might hurt them in the long run. Turris plastered on the 4th line with 6mill locked up is a major disaster. That is Lucic level stupidity. Their window is closing. If they never had Duchene and Turd-ris, the Subban trade may never have happened and they still have about 7mill to add 2 bonifide 2nd/3rd liners.

Weitz

Sep 23, 2014
Bob McKenzie should take a look at the Oilers' cap situation going forward before talking.

I think lots of people do. There are lots of people to sign and the money disappears fast. Especially if you want to improve the forwards next year.

OilerTitanFan

Feb 26, 2019
Wonder if Koivu would be willing to come to Edm as a rental? Still drawing at 52% and is defensively responsible. How much would he cost, would he want to?
If he comes here he would be highly motivated because this would be his last chance to win a cup. He would definitely come. This is a realistic player to add without the need to unload too much to hurt the future. He would not cost a first. It would be a 2nd and a prospect.

Ritchie Valens

Sep 24, 2007
He again said the Oilers can't do a 6 or 7 year deal with Nurse because of their cap issues the next two years.

I find Bob is starting to slip just a wee bit.

I suppose we can cue the Nurse to Toronto rumors because they will somehow be able to get him under their cap structure.

Todd Parchment

Apr 5, 2018
I’d nurse gets more than 6 x 6 we have failed. Good player and guy but that’s as high as we go. He has major flaws in his game despite putting up points so I don’t think we should u lad the vault ...

SK13

non torsii subligarium
Jul 23, 2007
Edmonton
I find Bob is starting to slip just a wee bit.

It wasn't his opinion. He didn't pull this out of thin air.

He said it because he was told it by someone close to this. He even put a number on it: 2 years, "just under 6M". He gave reasoning for it and he said that nobody thinks taking Darnell to UFA is a huge issue because Darnell wants to stay in Edmonton long term.

Hockeyfan200

Jun 15, 2019
If he comes here he would be highly motivated because this would be his last chance to win a cup. He would definitely come. This is a realistic player to add without the need to unload too much to hurt the future. He would not cost a first. It would be a 2nd and a prospect.

It's very unrealistic Koivu would waive. He has a full no trade clause; loves being a Minnesota wild & will never be okay with being away from his family 1months. Not even for playoff team

A grand 1,000th: Mikko Koivu caps his milestone day with...

Ritchie Valens

Sep 24, 2007
It wasn't his opinion. He didn't pull this out of thin air.

He said it because he was told it by someone close to this. He even put a number on it: 2 years, "just under 6M". He gave reasoning for it and he said that nobody thinks taking Darnell to UFA is a huge issue because Darnell wants to stay in Edmonton long term.

Well if they bridge him for two years, his alleged $8 mill ask will be likely become $10 million when it expires and he'll sign for around $8.5, possibly more. I'd prefer not to do a bridge deal and get him under contract long term (7 years) between 43.5-49 million. If he wants to stay long term, then it's a safe presumption to think he'd sign a long term deal now with everyone entering their primes. Different players as far as style goes, but look at Subban's deal. Bridged for $5.75 then extended for $9 million. I don't see Nurse becoming worthy of a $9 million dollar long term contract in two years.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad