Proposal: Rumors and Proposals Thread: An Athanasiou a Day Would Keep the Flames at Bay

Status
Not open for further replies.

OfCorsiDid

54 goals? Must've been the money!
Mar 20, 2017
Toronto, ON

Gross! If he's looking for 8M a year, he can pack his bags and go find another team. I even thought 6.5M was an over-payment.

My honest rection to this was “what the f***?”

But I also understand it’s a negotiation tactic, but Nurse’s agent needs to be realistic. He’s not as good as Trouba by any metric and he’s not a right shot either.

I always saw him at Proverov/Moressey money which was steep already. When we get to negotiations I would set a hard cap at $7M but start out at $5M (Werenski money). If he doesn’t budge then you have to consider moving him.

Whatever Holland does, I hope he doesn’t sign him for north of $7M.

Mr Tadakichi

Never Reads OP Before Posting
Nov 23, 2014

Gross! If he's looking for 8M a year, he can pack his bags and go find another team. I even thought 6.5M was an over-payment.

Pmcbd7X.jpg

Reactions: Aerrol

Weitz

Sep 23, 2014
This happens with every big-ish name guy. Out of town fans believe he's passionately worth W, home fans passionately believe he's worth X, player ask is Z, they settle at Y. Majority of Home fans switch to "slight overpay, I can live with it", Away fans all go "LOL what an overpayment, good luck with that".

People thought Draisaitl was an overpay. Could go either way but in within a couple years the majority of these are not worth batting an eye over.

He'll sign at 7 and we'll be just fine.

Draisaitl was an overpay compared to others who signed at the same time. Its great it worked out, but how much better would it be with an extra couple million to spend?

If Nurse signs for 7 it will be an overpay. It might work out or it might not, but it won't change the fact its an overpay.

gordonhught

Feb 18, 2009
Draisaitl was an overpay compared to others who signed at the same time. Its great it worked out, but how much better would it be with an extra couple million to spend?

If Nurse signs for 7 it will be an overpay. It might work out or it might not, but it won't change the fact its an overpay.

$7 mil x 8 would be fine. By year 2 or 3 it would be a reasonable deal, just like Drai.

Reactions: PGW

gordonhught

Feb 18, 2009

This is the number.

This is the rate. Darnell is top 60 in scoring among D (53rd to be exact). This is without PP time. By way of comparison, Nurse has about the same number of points as OEL and Spurgeon.

Spurgeon just signed for $7.5 per and he is 30. He does not bring the same intangibles as Nurse who is only 25.

Last edited:

CaptainSexyPants

Sep 27, 2012
My honest rection to this was “what the ****?”

But I also understand it’s a negotiation tactic, but Nurse’s agent needs to be realistic. He’s not as good as Trouba by any metric and he’s not a right shot either.

I always saw him at Proverov/Moressey money which was steep already. When we get to negotiations I would set a hard cap at $7M but start out at $5M (Werenski money). If he doesn’t budge then you have to consider moving him.

Werenski is just starting his post ELC bridge deal whereas Nurse is just finishing his, so I don't think the team would have a leg there.

I agree though, Morrissey and Provorov are the best comparable's. Morrissey in particular is about as close as you can get...both coming off of the same bridge deal, same age, same draft year and apprx position, very similar stats.

I certainly can't see Nurse coming in less than Morrissey's 6.25.

Mowzie

Sep 17, 2003
This is the starting point of negotiations. I think they end up a hair over 7 which is still high IMO. His brain is gonna stop him from ever being elite, so I would hope they could be more in the 6.25 range.

CaptainSexyPants

Sep 27, 2012

That's just greedy... :laugh:

All long term contracts to young players look that way at the time of signing.

McRpro

Cont. without supporting.
Aug 18, 2006
Clown World

If that were the case then there'd be a couple less years of term on it, like the Pastrnak deal.

Reactions: The Nuge

aspin3

Oct 31, 2017
My honest rection to this was “what the ****?”

Matheson said they are using Trouba as a comparable. Does not say that they are asking for $8M. They will use a few as comparables.

nexttothemoon

and again...
Jan 30, 2010
Northern AB
Some of us (the smart ones here :) )... wanted to have Nurse signed for $5-5.5 million for 8 years before they signed that needlessly risky bridge deal which instantly opened the door to a huge capflation deal which we are now going to see.

You could see it as plain as day that a $5.25 million long term deal (roughly around what Matheson in Florida signed for) would have been not only a reasonable deal... but downright cheap in a few years... but that's obviously a risk with the bridge and they lost their bet on it.

At even $5.5 million... if Nurse had not taken a leap forward offensively... he'd have still been a smooth skating, physical dman with some offense in his game... and that contract still wouldn't have been an anchor contract... but now you have to deal with a contract several million higher where the risk-reward ratio certainly isn't as favourable.

gordonhught

Feb 18, 2009
Matheson said they are using Trouba as a comparable. Does not say that they are asking for $8M. They will use a few as comparables.

Trouba is a closer comparison that one might think.

Trouba has a higher career PPG than Nurse (Trouba .48 / Nurse .33).

But the last 3 years things are catching up quick. Based on the last 3 years it is much closer (Trouba .51 / Nurse .41)

Also factor in that Trouba gets over double the PP time that Darnell gets.

You put Darnell back in Klefbom's spot (on the PP) for a few games and watch his PP totals increase playing on that lethal PP.

Players about the same age. Trouba signed one year earlier to his deal. Nurse signing one year later so would expect his contract to be more per year relatively speaking (inflation).

If you take away salary, I would rather have Nurse than Trouba for equal dollars.

The only good argument that you can make in favor of Trouba is that he is a RHD and he has a slightly higher PPG when compared to Nurse.

And by the time all is said and done, I bet Nurse signs for closer to 7 than 8. Frankly, Nurse is worth every penny at $7 mill per year x 8.

EDIT: And for what it is worth, Lucic would fight Trouba easy. Lucic just skates away from Nurse. That means something.

NeverForget06

Here we go again !
Jan 7, 2013
Edmonton
These Nurse negotiations will be tough, and are concerning for me.

I think those who immediately jump to the conclusion that we should trade him for a winger have not fully considered what our defensive core would look like without him.

That being said, an 8 million dollar contract would put us in a very tough position. I still see enough mistakes from Nurse that he shouldn't be making that would tell me he doesn't deserve much over 6 million.

Salaries are all over the place in today's NHL. We all freaked out about Drai (rightly so at the time) and now he is on one of the best contracts in the league in my opinion.

Reactions: gordonhught

McDNicks17

Jul 1, 2010
Ontario

Before this blows up, JIM MATHESON IS THE SOURCE FOR THE $8M NUMBER.

Please let's not start running Nurse out of town because of the speculation of someone who can barely put a coherent sentence together.

Oil Dood

Sep 17, 2019

But the last 3 years things are catching up quick. Based on the last 3 years it is much closer (Trouba .51 / Nurse .41)

You put Darnell back in Klefbom's spot (on the PP) for a few games and watch his PP totals increase playing on that lethal PP.

Players about the same age. Trouba signed one year earlier to his deal. Nurse signing one year later so would expect his contract to be more per year relatively speaking (inflation).

If you take away salary, I would rather have Nurse than Trouba for equal dollars.

The only good argument that you can make in favor of Trouba is that he is a RHD and he has a slightly higher PPG when compared to Nurse.

And by the time all is said and done, I bet Nurse signs for closer to 7 than 8. Frankly, Nurse is worth every penny at $7 mill per year x 8.

EDIT: And for what it is worth, Lucic would fight Trouba easy. Lucic just skates away from Nurse. That means something.

Don't use logic, it never works.

McDNicks17

Jul 1, 2010
Ontario
That's just greedy... :laugh:

All long term contracts to young players look that way at the time of signing.

It was frustrating trying to explain that with the Drai contract.

Players signing eight year contracts are likely going to be paid whatever the player and team think his market value will be in year 3-4 of that contract. No agent is going to let their client sign an eight year contract at their current market value because that's going to end up a colossal steal for likely six or seven years of the contract.

If the team is looking to sign Nurse for eight years, think to yourself what would you consider paying him in three or four years.

Reactions: CaptainSexyPants

Fourier

Dec 29, 2006
Waterloo Ontario

If you use the three years prior to the signing then the difference in point totals is larger. Trouba is at .543 which corresponds to 11 points on a full season. That is a roughly 33% increase over Nurse's pace. Plus Trouba is significantly more consistent defensively. The Rangers would not even respond if offered Nurse for Trouba. So the best argument that you can make for Trouba over Nurse is that he is better offensively and defensively.

The reality is that Trouba got pp time because he is good enough offensively to earn it. Nurse is not getting pp time because he is below average on the pp.

Morrisey is definitely a better comparison.

Took a pill in Sbisa

2showToffoliIwascool
Apr 23, 2004
Australia
I don't know why everyone is making a fuss about the $8M ask. Doesn't every RFA ask for way more than they get at the start of the process? It's standard negotiating.

Anarchism

John Henry
May 23, 2019
northern alberta
This is the number.

This is the rate. Darnell is top 60 in scoring among D (53rd to be exact). This is without PP time. By way of comparison, Nurse has about the same number of points as OEL and Spurgeon.

Spurgeon just signed for $7.5 per and he is 30. He does not bring the same intangibles as Nurse who is only 25.
Spurgeon doesnt come with as many brain cramps and can be played with different D......and can pass the puck well....nurse no so much...these are the reasons Darnell is NOT on the first PP..

BoldNewLettuce

Esquire
Dec 21, 2008
Canada
Sign him nowish for 6ish long term.....if he doesnt take it go after peitrangelo first.....then if that doesnt work....give nurse what he wants....but preferably a tradeable contract.....

Jones may end up the better player in two or three years.

Then if you give nurse 8 what do you have to give...bear....bouchard.....jones etc?

Its a pretty pivotal contract IMO.

Anarchism

John Henry
May 23, 2019
northern alberta
I don't know why everyone is making a fuss about the $8M ask. Doesn't every RFA ask for way more than they get at the start of the process? It's standard negotiating.
Its because of fear....fear that the dollars have to be shared around to a couple of other resignee's and the need for at least at a player with some mid level skill and the need for a better 3C that we can build around...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad