Proposal: Rumors and Proposals Thread: An Athanasiou a Day Would Keep the Flames at Bay

Status
Not open for further replies.

3IR

Feb 12, 2019

Gross! If he's looking for 8M a year, he can pack his bags and go find another team. I even thought 6.5M was an over-payment.

To be fair, if he came in asking for 6.5m, he'd probably get talked down to less anyways.
Obviously agents are gonna come in high and try to negotiate somewhere in the middle of their ask and the teams offer. He wouldn't be a good agent if he didn't ask for the moon.

Also isn't there pressure from the NHLPA to basically not leave a cent on the table?

48g90a138pts

Jun 30, 2016

Gross! If he's looking for 8M a year, he can pack his bags and go find another team. I even thought 6.5M was an over-payment.

That's a whole lot more then what we're expecting.

Where's Nurse getting his 8 mil dollar figure from?

Last edited:

oXo Cube

Power Play Merchant
Nov 4, 2008
In your closet
I'm pretty happy if 8M is his ask honestly, because it means he will come well below that once the negotiating is done with.

If I was his agent I might have started at 9.

dem

Mar 17, 2002
How the hell is he asking 8 when Morrisey took 6.25..?

gtfo

Reactions: 780il

Oil Dood

Sep 17, 2019
That's a whole lot more then what we're expecting.

Where's Nurse getting his 8 mil dollar figure from?

That is called negotiating. Do you not do that when you get a job? Ask for more then you will get because you never know.

belair

Jay Woodcroft Unemployment Stance
Apr 9, 2010
Canada
Someone was suggesting the poll was from a couple years ago.
I don't even think the poll matters all that much. Players who don't want to play in a market with a cold climate or play in a fishbowl won't want to play there. I don't think that McDavid carrot is as enticing as is being stated here.

That being said, we're not really big fish hunting these days anyways. But I still don't see guys like Kreider who clearly want to play in an American market waiving.

Reactions: Jimmi McJenkins

Oil Dood

Sep 17, 2019
We do have to be careful though as we overpaid a little for kassian and I can see us overpaying a little for Nurse, that adds up eventually.

Reactions: 48g90a138pts

Jimmi McJenkins

Sometimes miracles
Jan 12, 2006
Alberta
I don't even think the poll matters all that much. Players who don't want to play in a market with a cold climate or play in a fishbowl won't want to play there. I don't think that McDavid carrot is as enticing as is being stated here.

That being said, we're not really big fish hunting these days anyways. But I still don't see guys like Kreider who clearly want to play in an American market waiving.
That's fair, I just don't think it's as dire as it once was.

Fourier

Dec 29, 2006
Waterloo Ontario
If he is at even $7M and won't budge I think the Oilers will go to arbitration. $8M would make him tied for the 5th highest paid defenseman in the league.

In arbitration my guess is that he gets $5-6M. The Oilers could use someone like Parayko as a comparable.

Reactions: Aerrol

Jimmi McJenkins

Sometimes miracles
Jan 12, 2006
Alberta
How the hell is he asking 8 when Morrisey took 6.25..?

gtfo
He and his agent probably don't care that Morrisey might have taken a hometown discount.

In any event, if this is Nurse's ask, makes him likely to be moved in the offseason (if not at the deadline.)

Jet Walters

May 15, 2013
He and his agent probably don't care that Morrisey might have taken a hometown discount.

In any event, if this is Nurse's ask, makes him likely to be moved in the offseason (if not at the deadline.)
This deadline? No chance that happens.

CaptainSexyPants

Sep 27, 2012

This happens with every big-ish name guy. Out of town fans believe he's passionately worth W, home fans passionately believe he's worth X, player ask is Z, they settle at Y. Majority of Home fans switch to "slight overpay, I can live with it", Away fans all go "LOL what an overpayment, good luck with that".

People thought Draisaitl was an overpay. Could go either way but in within a couple years the majority of these are not worth batting an eye over.

He'll sign at 7 and we'll be just fine.

Jet Walters

May 15, 2013
This happens with every big-ish name guy. Out of town fans believe he's passionately worth W, home fans passionately believe he's worth X, player ask is Z, they settle at Y. Majority of Home fans switch to "slight overpay, I can live with it", Away fans all go "LOL what an overpayment, good luck with that".

People thought Draisaitl was an overpay. Could go either way but in within a couple years the majority of these are not worth batting an eye over.

He'll sign at 7 and we'll be just fine.

And if a prospect like Broberg or Samarukov is breaking down the door we could still easily move that contract or opt to deal Klefbom instead if he's asking for the moon on a new deal in three years.

Reactions: CaptainSexyPants
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad