Rumor: Rumors and Proposals: One week until free agency

Status
Not open for further replies.

KeithIsActuallyBad

You thrust your pelvis, huh!
Apr 12, 2010
Calgary
It's always funny to see how wrong you are especially with the way you try to argue about Eberle. Yakupov led the team in goals his rookie year you know when being paired with actually talented top 6 players. Eberle has played with Hall, Pouliot, Mcdavid, Horcoff, and Hopkins for basically his entire career of course he is going to score goals with those players. You always just gloss over the fact that when anyone mentions the fact Eberle would struggle just as much as yakupov playing with bottom 6ers in Letestu/Gordon you just say Eberle scores more. You never actually address the fact that if Eberle had 80 percent of his games with the likes of Letestu/Lander/Gordon he wouldn't put up half the production he does. We all got an example of it his year when he had to play 10 games on the 3rd line and was absolutely atrocious.

Wasn't Horcoff his center? Yea, and guess what at the time Horcoff was the teams best centerman. How does that argument work in your favor.

Yeah Yak led the team in goal scoring in his rookie year after a late surge. What was it, 6 goals in the last 3 games? Then poof.

Eberle played on some of the worst teams the NHL has seen in the past decade and still produced (remember that 76 point year he had?). You can compare the two all you want the fact of the matter is Jordan Eberle is the superior player in basically every facet. Only two years did he not score 20 goals, his rookie year (18) and the lockout year (16).

Jordan Eberle's worst year is still better than Yakupov's best year.

K1984

Feb 7, 2008
talking about when he was first playing, did he get put in the bottom 6 when he had bad stretches of games no. always had the best icetime and linemates possible

Probably because he was too busy scoring 34 goals.

But ya, he should have been in the bottom 6. Sure.

K1984

Feb 7, 2008
I read the report you're talking about and even Staples says he doesn't know the context of why he wasn't engaged. I get that he's a different kid, which is why he's probably having problems fitting in to this locker room, but even when he's not producing he's still creating chances. Those chances aren't being capitalized on.

To say 'let's grab a guy who plays physical and scores 15 goals' is pretty hopeful. Our bottom six has been offensively barren since we were graced with the Brodziak-Glencross-Stortini line years ago. To think you can just flip Yakupov for beans, then slot someone else in that place and think you'll get those points is extremely presumptuous.

Without looking too far, we can assume there's no market for Nail. So giving him away would simply be poor asset management. He's an Edmonton Oiler until he's not.

I would rather the Oilers attempt to find the 3rd liner I described than put Yak in there for another season.

Yak is guaranteed useless in that position. A detriment to the team.

K1984

Feb 7, 2008
point is Yakupov should of never been in the bottom 6 and be in a position to succeed

He's had many a chance in the top 6 and has proven nothing except being unable to play effectively with any top 6 player that isn't named McDavid.

belair

Jay Woodcroft Unemployment Stance
Apr 9, 2010
Canada
Yup as usual. When all else fails and stone cold logic is staring you in the face, the first reaction of a many Yakupov fans is to look around real quick for someone else to throw under the bus.

oilinblood is bang on. The NHL isn't a charity and Yakupov has coasted for four years on his draft status. Its not a "cold streak" as you suggest above.

No, it's just exhausting to go over those same arguments.

He played well in his rookie season under Krueger. Who was he playing with?

He played well late in his third season under Nelson. Who was he playing with?

He played well early this season under McLellan. Who was he playing with?

I agree that the Larionov **** and the pouty attitude stuff is tiring. He's obviously still immature. Call him an enigmatic Russian, whatever. But he's a very skilled young player with the raw tools to do good things. With the evidence right there in front of you, as the head coach, would you not do everything in your power to make this player comfortable?

And I'm saying this because I'm starting to feel like there really isn't a market for him right now that make sense for Chiarelli.

KeithIsActuallyBad

Apr 12, 2010
Calgary
No, it's just exhausting to go over those same arguments.

He played well in his rookie season under Krueger. Who was he playing with?

He played well late in his third season under Nelson. Who was he playing with?

He played well early this season under McLellan. Who was he playing with?

I agree that the Larionov **** and the pouty attitude stuff is tiring. He's obviously still immature. Call him an enigmatic Russian, whatever. But he's a very skilled young player with the raw tools to do good things. With the evidence right there in front of you, as the head coach, would you not do everything in your power to make this player comfortable?

So basically Yakupov can only be as good as his linemates?

oStealthKiller*

Master Monkey Herder
Jul 2, 2012
Edmonton
I'll gladly give yak one more year to see if anything is there. You look at what the return would be, and why not gamble on him for one more year at 2.5 cap hit?

KeithIsActuallyBad

Apr 12, 2010
Calgary
Yakupov can only play well when he has chemistry with his linemates?

But he only has chemistry with McDavid and Eberle/Maroon have been shown to be better linemates. Yakupov can't be that incompatible with others, can he?

Nobody's going to confuse McDavid and Letestu but if he ever went to the net good things would happen. Instead of playing the perimeter waiting for an Ovi one-timer that's never going to come.

Kalost

Jan 21, 2015
I could live with the rumoured Eberle for shatty deal

same, but the ufa risk would really suck, a futures package would be much easier to swallow and is generally what these kind of players get traded for. Also they are looking to lose cap so i'm assuming we would be getting some other cap in that deal.

I am all for moving our 2017 1st + picks/prospects for unsigned Shattenkirk though

Mr Positive

Cap Crunch Incoming
Nov 20, 2013
I doubt Eberle got to have good linemates for any reason other than merit. We want the best possible arrangement of players to succeed. That even goes for Purcell vs Yakupov.

At times I wished Yak could get a push in the top six, but only Nelson was really on board with it. Eakins and McLellan didn't have that kind of patience, and maybe it's because they had more pressure to win games. When we traded Purcell and we still didn't give Yak a push, I knew something very wrong was up, and I have a hard time believing that the issue was with McLellan like how people said that Eakins just had it out for Yak

Even now though, I still hold onto some hope that we can get Yakupov going, but with the Puljujarvi pick, combined with no wingers getting traded yet, makes that hope dim

KeithIsActuallyBad

Apr 12, 2010
Calgary
I'll gladly give yak one more year to see if anything is there. You look at what the return would be, and why not gamble on him for one more year at 2.5 cap hit?

The Oilers don't have the luxury of waiting for him. Progress has to be made this year. If Yakupov sucks good luck trading him.

Kalost

Jan 21, 2015
The Oilers don't have the luxury of waiting for him. Progress has to be made this year. If Yakupov sucks good luck trading him.

which is the same thing every year, and yet we finished at the bottom so what was the harm of playing him full time in the top 6 all that time?

belair

Jay Woodcroft Unemployment Stance
Apr 9, 2010
Canada
But he only has chemistry with McDavid and Eberle/Maroon have been shown to be better linemates. Yakupov can't be that incompatible with others, can he?

Nobody's going to confuse McDavid and Letestu but if he ever went to the net good things would happen. Instead of playing the perimeter waiting for an Ovi one-timer that's never going to come.

Maroon played with him for a dozen games. Hate to say it, but don't expect him to keep up that scoring pace. Eberle can play well with a lot of players--he's one of our best forwards and our most consistent scorer outside of McDavid.

Yakupov needs an offensive-minded center I'm pretty sure. He played fairly well with Gagner as well. It's kind of aggravating because Yakupov is built for a physical game and can throw his body around, but the checking game just isn't his style. He does protect the puck well though, which suits the cycle game.

The optimist in me just hopes he doesn't spend all summer moping. If he looks at some game film and understands how to cycle effectively, the Oilers could still have a player here. If not they've got themselves a slippery player who scores in bunches on the powerplay and off the rush.

McShogun99

Aug 30, 2009
Edmonton
If we start the season with Mcdavid, Draisaitl and RNH and go with 3 scoring lines then we should keep Yakupov. I don't think we will see a trade this season for a top pairing defenceman. Yakupov needs to beat out Korps, Pakirinen and Kassian for the final RW spot in the top 9. The locks for those spots are Hall, Eberle, Pouliot, Maroon and Puujarvi, pending any trades of UFA signings.

ResilientBeast

Proud Member of the TTSAOA
Jul 1, 2012
Edmonton
If we start the season with Mcdavid, Draisaitl and RNH and go with 3 scoring lines then we should keep Yakupov. I don't think we will see a trade this season for a top pairing defenceman. Yakupov needs to beat out Korps, Pakirinen and Kassian for the final RW spot in the top 9. The locks for those spots are Hall, Eberle, Pouliot, Maroon and Puujarvi, pending any trades of UFA signings.

Pouliot - McDavid - Eberle
Hall - Draisaitl - Puujarvi
Maroon - RNH - Yakupov

Dump futures and money into FA and another D. That would be possibly the deepest top 9 league wide on paper.

The Safe Play

Jul 8, 2011
Pouliot - McDavid - Eberle
Hall - Draisaitl - Puujarvi
Maroon - RNH - Yakupov

Dump futures and money into FA and another D. That would be possibly the deepest top 9 league wide on paper.

I agree with this completely, play your fourth line 6-8 minutes a night and just punish other teams with your forward depth.

Neatman

Mar 9, 2011

I wouldnt trust Jordan Eberle to be able to do up his skates without a better player next to him helping him through it. The guy has not had to play without excellent offensive support his entire career, and has still managed to regress steadily since his second year.

We get it, you dont like Yakupov. News flash: everyone on this board is disappointed with his play.

But at least he shows a spark here or there of an incredible player hidden behind a heap of boneheaded plays. He really hasnt been given much of a chance, even after an impressive showing next to McDavid.

I wouldnt take Yakupov over Eberle, but at the end of the day, neither of them are currently worth their contracts. At least Yakupov's wont prove to be an albatross.

North

Jun 25, 2009

If he sucks they may just have to let him go in the expansion draft or get whatever pick they can for him via trade.

If they keep all the centers and play them as centers than he will either be on a line with McDavid (probably not), RNH, or Drai.

If he can't make it work with either of them then the die is cast.

If there is a trade now that goes down, he might be an add in.

North

Jun 25, 2009
I wouldnt trust Jordan Eberle to be able to do up his skates without a better player next to him helping him through it. The guy has not had to play without excellent offensive support his entire career, and has still managed to regress steadily since his second year.

We get it, you dont like Yakupov. News flash: everyone on this board is disappointed with his play.

But at least he shows a spark here or there of an incredible player hidden behind a heap of boneheaded plays. He really hasnt been given much of a chance, even after an impressive showing next to McDavid.

I wouldnt take Yakupov over Eberle, but at the end of the day, neither of them are currently worth their contracts. At least Yakupov's wont prove to be an albatross.

Eberle's isn't an albatross. Not even close.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad