Rumor: Rumors and Proposals: 4 Days Until Armageddon (UFA). Lucic+Demers Day Out in Edm

Status
Not open for further replies.

McDeepika

Aug 14, 2004
He's still one of the best power forwards in the league, he wouldn't be just "McDavid's winger", he can play with anybody and do well and if Hall is dealt, they are going to need to fill that void.

If Hall is dealt and we sign Lucic, we are going to be the slowest team in the league. Pretty hard to win that way. Anaheim had success with big slow forwards but they had a very mobile D which could skate the puck and give the forwards enough time to get into their positions. We don't have that luxury.

McDrai

Mar 29, 2009
Well if we sign Lucic I think the writing is on the wall for Hall to be traded for a top pair dman

OilerFan4Life

Feb 27, 2004
Heartland of Hockey
What is your ceiling on AAV for Demers?

I'd be willing to go up to 5 million over 6 years.

Yes, that's a lot of money tied up in two 2nd pairing d-men (Sekera the other) but I thing the cupboards are full on the back-end where we can get away with having an overpaid 2nd pairing since we'll have a very underpaid 3rd pairing.

If we do sign Demers, we'll have to move out Davidson before the expansion draft....we have enough young budding talent on the back-end where we can recycle guys through the 3rd pairing.

Thoughts?

Young Lions*

May 27, 2015
You seem to crap on every idea to fix the team. What would you do?

I dunno. Sign Demers, trade for Shattenkirk (signed), sign Okposo or Ericksson (if trading Eberle in previous deal); if not sign one of Stempniak, Weise, Vrbata, Boyes or maybe Vanek for depth. Rather make a bunch of small bets than do something like signing Lucic and/or Russell where the risk greatly outweighs the reward.

KeithIsActuallyBad

You thrust your pelvis, huh!
Apr 12, 2010
Calgary
If Hall is dealt and we sign Lucic, we are going to be the slowest team in the league. Pretty hard to win that way. Anaheim had success with big slow forwards but they had a very mobile D which could skate the puck and give the forwards enough time to get into their positions. We don't have that luxury.

I mean McDavid aside we're not really all that fast anyway...

Weitz

Sep 23, 2014
What is your ceiling on AAV for Demers?

I'd be willing to go up to 5 million over 6 years.

Yes, that's a lot of money tied up in two 2nd pairing d-men (Sekera the other) but I thing the cupboards are full on the back-end where we can get away with having an overpaid 2nd pairing since we'll have a very underpaid 3rd pairing.

If we do sign Demers, we'll have to move out Davidson before the expansion draft....we have enough young budding talent on the back-end where we can recycle guys through the 3rd pairing.

Thoughts?

That's crazy money and term for a 2nd/3rd pairing D man. Absolutely brutal.

We already have an over paid D man for 5 years. We don't need another. We need Top Pairing D men, and don't have the cap space to sign Demers.

Feb 9, 2013
@Sun_Tychkowski 26s26 seconds ago
"He has the ability to do the same thing in Edmonton that he did in Boston†- Milan Lucic, talking about Oilers GM Peter Chiarelli in April

That sounds promising...

Lucic - McDavid - Eberle

I want to see that line opening night

Aceboogie

Aug 25, 2012
That's crazy money and term for a 2nd/3rd pairing D man. Absolutely brutal.

Same money Sekera got. Not brutal at all. Overpay but if there is no NMC its all good. Youll be able to deal him any time in that contract. Maybe for only picks but who cares

Paralyzer

Hyman >>> Matthews
Sep 29, 2006
Somewhere Up North
Exactly. We are already too slow for my liking. Moving Hall and signing Lucic only makes that worse.

Well, you want to sign players with speed AND decent to good puck possession. Just speed doesn't go anywhere. Look at Paajarvi, Omark, Nilsson, Cogliano (Until he figured it out), etc. If you sign big but have good to excellent puck possession, then speed doesn't matter so much.

CupofOil

Knob Flavored Coffey
Aug 20, 2009
NYC

The lack of team speed concerns me too even with Pulju in the fold but if you have a McDavid-Pulju duo, you don't need a speedster on the other side. Lucic is a perfect fit on a skilled line like that. Balance is the key and the Oilers forward group is still unbalanced.

Mcnotloilersfan

I'm here, I'm bored
Jul 11, 2010
Niagara
I don't want to post anything on these boards and feel the wrath after, but people can PM me about a rumor another guy posted in the trade main forum yesterday. I can confirm a top guy they are going after and where I got the info from. They have had LONG discussions with this team.

PM'd

Aceboogie

Aug 25, 2012
I like the idea of bringing in both together for a tour. Let them talk to one another and see first hand Oilers are serious about talking a step forward. Its not just them adding 1 or 2 random FAs, its them making big moves to get pushed over the hump and both could play big parts

If you can get both together for under 11 mil per I dont really care about how money is divided up between them. Then since well have almost no cap after, trade Eberle or Pouliot for D

Weitz

Sep 23, 2014
Same money Sekera got. Not brutal at all. Overpay but if there is no NMC its all good. Youll be able to deal him any time in that contract. Maybe for only picks but who cares

So since we overpaid for Sekera we should for Demers too? Sekera was a bad signing. I don't want another bad signing on our D.

If we are over paying for D it should be top pairing D.

Mcnotloilersfan

I'm here, I'm bored
Jul 11, 2010
Niagara
I like the idea of bringing in both together for a tour. Let them talk to one another and see first hand Oilers are serious about talking a step forward. Its not just them adding 1 or 2 random FAs, its them making big moves to get pushed over the hump and both could play big parts

If you can get both together for under 11 mil per I dont really care about how money is divided up between them. Then since well have almost no cap after, trade Eberle or Pouliot for D

Yup. Perhaps they say "I'll take a bit of a hit if you do as long as we get term. We can do something special here" Lucic - "I trust Chiarelli!" Demers - "I trust Todd!"

Canovin

1% is the new 11.5%
Oct 27, 2010
Signing Lucic does not make Hall expendable regardless of what the rumors are flying around.

Young Lions*

May 27, 2015
So since we overpaid for Sekera we should for Demers too? Sekera was a bad signing. I don't want another bad signing on our D.

If we are over paying for D it should be top pairing D.

How is it overpaying when that's the going rate on the open market?

Feb 9, 2013
I wouldn't mind seeing Lucic/Mcdavid/Puljujarvi

That's a lot of size right there

I too thought of that, but in a season or two... the Oil are finally in a place where they can let their prospects develop as they should - i.e. not in the NHL. Maybe getting Lucic guarantees that Eberle will not be dealt.

nhlisajoke

Nov 15, 2010
Edmonton
Ryan Rishaug ‏@TSNRyanRishaug · 37s38 seconds ago

IF Oilers were to land Lucic, would think a Hall deal becomes much more likely. Can't have 17.5m tied up in 4LW'ers.

Jeff Lebowski

Jan 12, 2008
I don't want to post anything on these boards and feel the wrath after, but people can PM me about a rumor another guy posted in the trade main forum yesterday. I can confirm a top guy they are going after and where I got the info from. They have had LONG discussions with this team.

Just post it. It's better then reading pages and pages of fan proposals. This is a rumours thread after all.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad