Rumor: Rumor & Proposals Thread XVII-- Last person to leave TO please turn off the lights.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
Remember when we traded cogs for a 2nd....good times....NHL player for a pic that might not even get an NHL contract

We basically turned Gagner, Cogliano, and Nilsson into effectively nothing once Purcell's deal is off the books, unless that 2nd from the Cogs deal pans out.

La Bamba

Tier 2 Fan
Aug 23, 2009
We basically turned Gagner, Cogliano, and Nilsson into effectively nothing once Purcell's deal is off the books, unless that 2nd from the Cogs deal pans out.

Damn I never realized how grim the result was :cry:

Kid line (Future of the Oilers in '08) = Purcell, 2nd round pick, and a buy-out cap penalty.

BarDownBobo

Oct 19, 2012
City of Champions
What do you guys think of Dennis Seidenberg from Boston? Sounds like he might be a guy moved as a cap casualty, and IMO he could be a decent fit here. Three years left at a $4M cap hit. I wonder if they'd be interested in Ference with some cap retained plus a pick/prospect for him? Doing that and re-signing Petry wouldn't make the defense look that bad next year:

Seidenberg-Petry
Klefbom-Schultz
Nikitin-Fayne

With Nurse coming in for Nikitin the following year.

Digger12

Gold Fever
Feb 27, 2002
Back o' beyond
A small bit on the Oilers from Garrioch yesterday evening:

http://www.edmontonsun.com/2015/02/21/talk-should-heat-up-this-week

The Oilers tried to see if they could sign UFA defenceman Jeff Petry but had no luck so he'll be dealt. The Ducks, Penguins, Habs and Bolts have all shown interest. Petry has been excellent of late but don't expect Edmonton to do much. If they get a forward in the draft then either Taylor Hall or Jordan Eberle could be moved. Until then, it may be status quo

Personally it sounds like he's just regurgitating old news and 2nd hand info. But whatever.

Burnt Biscuits

May 2, 2010
Looking up Tampa's d-prospects

Dylan Blujus 21 6'3 198 40th overall in '12
Koekkoek Slater 21 6'2 184 10th overall in '12 (being he's a 1st rd player, doubt he moves)

Artem Sergeev 21 6'3 203

Has anybody ever seen these guys play?

I haven't watched Koekkoek since he played in junior, I remember I was surprised he went so high in the draft because he wasn't that impressive in junior relative to where he was selected, he was still quite good in general just didn't strike me as 10th overall kind of good. Went around the forums and sounds like TB fans are quite happy with his play, apparently he is playing on the top AHL pairing which is quite impressive for his age and he is apparently handling the role well. Blujus seems like an interesting one and should be in the general ballpark of what Petry would get, Sergeev doesn't seem to have the pedigree to be a good return on Petry, but I haven't seen either of these two play.

raab said:
Vasilevski, Nesterov, Mrazek, Sproul all interest me. I think the guy we'd be most likely to get would be Nesterov which wouldn't be the end of the world as he could play on our 3rd pairing next year and still has some upside.
There is 0 chance we could land Vasilevskiy for Petry, Bolts fans are over the moon in love with him, they are already talking about how he will soon make Bishop expendable.

I agree that Mrazek and Sproul should be high on our radar for Detroit; I'd also add Teemu Pulkkinen a 23 yr old 5'11 Finn who can play either wing and while he hasn't been able to successfully transition to the NHL yet, all his numbers are going in the right direction though and Detroit has a habit of holding these AHL guys down there forever and when they break out they typically don't look back.

Pulkkinen:
2013/14 AHL season
71 GP 31 G 28 A 59Pts 0.83 Points per game 0.44 Goals per game 2.83 shots per game
2014/15 AHL season
44 GP 30 G 27 A 57 Pts 1.30 Points per game 0.68 Goals per game 4.04 shots per game

Generally AHL players who put up big points that don't have success translating to the NHL are generally small (5'9 or less) and their point totals are much more assist heavy. His goal totals per game played combined with his high shot generation is a really good trend.

Fourier

Dec 29, 2006
Waterloo Ontario
We could always add, say Petry + Marincin for a solid D prospect return

A team could then have a prospect back and a solid journeyman for their playoff run this year while we take the better prospect back to our stable.

Don't see why teams wouldn't consider a slight downgrade in prospect in order to boost their playoffs, but MacT might not be a guy capable of pulling off such things

Why add Marincin for a solid prospect. Marincin is already better than a "solid prospect" and he is an RFA.

AJGass4

Aug 19, 2011
You know, I remember a day when we called the guy soft and questioned his effort.

I think it is really sad that he has finally pulled his head out of his ass when he is a UFA. Yes, he is our best defeensemen but if the guy wants out, get what you can and run.

I don't want another pick. I want a prospect that can play fairly soon.

Oil Baron

Jun 15, 2009
Canada
some of these guys could be picked from their teams if they are desperate at the deadline. Probably would see the Oil sending Petry and a pick to acquire them. Here are my favourites from the interested teams.

Montreal Jared Tinordi (I really don't think he is moving Montreal needs all the healthy Dmen they can get)
Tampa Bay Carter Ashton I know he was free to Tampa, he is Big and physical has never really be given a chance. Tampa would have to add for Petry
Anaheim Nick Richie the problem with Nick is he is a left winger a position of strength right now for the Oil nice prospect though and my fav on Anaheim
Detroit Petr Mrazek He is their goalie of the future in Detriot, sure would love to steal him.

Any chance we could get any of these guys

Paralyzer008

Jan 30, 2008
some of these guys could be picked from their teams if they are desperate at the deadline. Probably would see the Oil sending Petry and a pick to acquire them. Here are my favourites from the interested teams.

Montreal Jared Tinordi (I really don't think he is moving Montreal needs all the healthy Dmen they can get)
Tampa Bay Carter Ashton I know he was free to Tampa, he is Big and physical has never really be given a chance. Tampa would have to add for Petry
Anaheim Nick Richie the problem with Nick is he is a left winger a position of strength right now for the Oil nice prospect though and my fav on Anaheim
Detroit Petr Mrazek He is their goalie of the future in Detriot, sure would love to steal him.

Mrazek and Ritchie are examples of untouchable prospects. Tinordi would ONLY move in a deal for elite talent.

Carter Ashton would definitely be acquirable, but he's a 4th liner in the future at best, so it depends on if you think you want to target that kind of upside.

OILSLICK94

Mar 9, 2004
London Ontario

There is absolutely NO CHANCE the Ducks move Ritchie he fell to there laps in the drat last season.....future power forward in there organization.

Mrazek I could see moved from Detroit, but it would take more then a rental like Petry to get it done. Reason being is Howard is signed long term and they have two solid goalie prospects coming down the pipeline.

Klimando Kostani

Sep 17, 2013
Victoria
Why add Marincin for a solid prospect. Marincin is already better than a "solid prospect" and he is an RFA.

He's our most valuable trading asset in an area which we have strength. We could use Petry to start the talks for a player that another team would not want to move normally, and throw Marincin in to give something back long term. Then slap on a conditional in the event Petry signs/the team wins the cup.

If we could do Petry + Marincin for say:

Second 2015 + NHL ready RHD prospect + conditional third 2016

That RHD should be somebody with some time in the NHL already that is trending well, somebody a team wouldn't want to give. The RHD could be replaced with any of our positions of weakness though such as goalie, center or right wing if the prospect is solid enough.

We would lose Marincin and although I do believe he is a sure thing we already have Nurse, Klef coming up. Ferrence and Nikitin, regardless of play, will be in the lineup over Marincin due to Craig being Craig.

All that said it's just an idea and I hope the Oilers are considering it because I really doubt Marincin plays much hockey for us in the coming years, I don't want us to be talking about how this was just another mismanaged prospect who we got nothing for in a few years time.

Tyrolean

Feb 1, 2004
Most likely. I think it'll end up being something like Josh Manson and a 3rd. Manson and a 2nd if we're lucky. Pretty terrible.

Also frustrating that Montreal gets Subban 2nd round. Chicago gets Keith 2nd round. Nashville gets Weber 2nd round. The Sharks get Vlasic 2nd round. The Penguins get Letang 3rd round. The Jets get Byfuglien from a round that doesn't even exist anymore. The Sens get Karlsson for a mid-pack 1st. We get Petry in the 2nd round - and we're going to trade him for a 2nd round re-do.

Proof that:

1) we can't draft for ****
2) we can't develop for ****
3) even when our blind squirrels find the odd nut, we 'challenge them on 1 year contract' when they're UFA's, because we aren't sure if we have a nut or a turd, even when all the squirrels that CAN see assure us that yes, it's definitely a nut.

Also lost Reider Harti and Rajala 9sp) for nothing not to mention Glencross, Hedja Ray Whitney etc.

HeavyHitter99

Jun 18, 2013
What do you guys think of Dennis Seidenberg from Boston? Sounds like he might be a guy moved as a cap casualty, and IMO he could be a decent fit here. Three years left at a $4M cap hit. I wonder if they'd be interested in Ference with some cap retained plus a pick/prospect for him? Doing that and re-signing Petry wouldn't make the defense look that bad next year:

Seidenberg-Petry
Klefbom-Schultz
Nikitin-Fayne

With Nurse coming in for Nikitin the following year.

Boston is losing Mcquaid and Bartkowski go free agency this year (most likely). So I doubt they move Seidenberg.

Seidenberg is their #2. Would you move a #2 dman for Ference as the main piece? Would any team move anything at all for Ference?

Petry will not be back next year, so if that is next year's d group you can take him out.

Buyout Nikitin this Summer! Get him out of here!

HeavyHitter99

Jun 18, 2013
There is absolutely NO CHANCE the Ducks move Ritchie he fell to there laps in the drat last season.....future power forward in there organization.

Mrazek I could see moved from Detroit, but it would take more then a rental like Petry to get it done. Reason being is Howard is signed long term and they have two solid goalie prospects coming down the pipeline.

Nick Ritchie didn't fall into their laps at all and since he's been drafted he hasn't been as good as expected. This is coming from someone who is a huge fan of his. Would they move him for Petry? No, would they move in package for a significant player? Absolutely.

I could see Mrazek being moved but I question how good he is.

rockinghockey

Oct 22, 2008
Every day that goes by and Boychuk does not resign in NY I have hope that he comes here. That is the type of dman we need on the back end.

What would you guys give up for Krejci in BOS decides to trade him. He would be the perfect centre man to have on this team while our young players develop and would improve this team drastically.
RNH
Krejci
Lander
Gordon

Of course Roy is not resigned but Krejci is a lot better centre man

I think BOS could use cap space.

Rafters

Aug 10, 2003
Medicine Hat
Visit site

That's what happens when you trade NHL players for picks when you don't have a good development system....or great scouting department.....Marco Roy may not even get a contract or is at the least a long shot at the NHL, while Cogliano in the current NHL iron man

Klimando Kostani

Sep 17, 2013
Victoria
I don't care if we draft Mcdavid, trade for Krejci, or have the best available UFA center sign here, I still hope MacT locks up Roy for under 2 mil for a year or two minimum. At that price he should be tradeable if he is outplayed but after this season I never want to worry about not having enough Cs again.

soothsayer

Oct 27, 2009
In regards to Petry's possible landing spot, Stauffer said to keep an eye on Montreal and Pittsburgh.

OnTheBrink

Apr 19, 2013
Airdrie
If San Jose fizzles out and decides to blow it up and rebuild and Oilers end up with the 3rd overall pick (statistically the most likely place for them to pick) would fellow oiler fans do the following trade? I think it would balance the team quite well.

At the draft...

Taylor Hall + 3rd overall pick + Dillon Simpson + STL '15 3rd for Logan Couture + Marc Edouard Vlasic + James Sheppard

Pouliot - Nugent-Hopkins - Eberle
UFA - Couture - Yakupov
Lander - Sheppard - Purcell
Hendricks - Gordon - Klinkammer

Vlasic - Fayne
Klefbom - Schultz
Ference - Nikitin

UFA
Scrivens

With Draisaitl and Nurse coming still!

Then would try and package Marincin + 33rd overall pick for middle 6 LW with size.

MPStoEberletoHall*

I wonder if Tristan Jarry or Zachary Fucale would be in the talks.

That's what I'm thinking. If he goes to Pittsburgh or Montreal, I'm 95% sure that one of those 2 prospects is coming back the other way.

MPStoEberletoHall*

If San Jose fizzles out and decides to blow it up and rebuild and Oilers end up with the 3rd overall pick (statistically the most likely place for them to pick) would fellow oiler fans do the following trade? I think it would balance the team quite well.

At the draft...

Taylor Hall + 3rd overall pick + Dillon Simpson + STL '15 3rd for Logan Couture + Marc Edouard Vlasic + James Sheppard

Pouliot - Nugent-Hopkins - Eberle
UFA - Couture - Yakupov
Lander - Sheppard - Purcell
Hendricks - Gordon - Klinkammer

Vlasic - Fayne
Klefbom - Schultz
Ference - Nikitin

UFA
Scrivens

With Draisaitl and Nurse coming still!

Then would try and package Marincin + 33rd overall pick for middle 6 LW with size.
Call me crazy, but I would never do that deal. I'd be interested in something like this though.

To San Jose:
Taylor Hall
3rd overall pick
Martin Marincin
2016 2nd round pick

To Edmonton:
Logan Couture
Brent Burns

Fourier

Dec 29, 2006
Waterloo Ontario
He's our most valuable trading asset in an area which we have strength. We could use Petry to start the talks for a player that another team would not want to move normally, and throw Marincin in to give something back long term. Then slap on a conditional in the event Petry signs/the team wins the cup.

If we could do Petry + Marincin for say:

Second 2015 + NHL ready RHD prospect + conditional third 2016

That RHD should be somebody with some time in the NHL already that is trending well, somebody a team wouldn't want to give. The RHD could be replaced with any of our positions of weakness though such as goalie, center or right wing if the prospect is solid enough.

We would lose Marincin and although I do believe he is a sure thing we already have Nurse, Klef coming up. Ferrence and Nikitin, regardless of play, will be in the lineup over Marincin due to Craig being Craig.

All that said it's just an idea and I hope the Oilers are considering it because I really doubt Marincin plays much hockey for us in the coming years, I don't want us to be talking about how this was just another mismanaged prospect who we got nothing for in a few years time.

This is a different proposal than Marincin and Petry for a solid prospect. But what do you mean by an NHL ready RHD? These are pretty rare beast, and even rarer if they are tradable. Take a look at the teams that are typically being mentioned and ask which team has such a player to spare.

I am going to assume that Petry already gets the second and the conditional 3rd is not much of an upgrade to get me to add Marincin so really it is Marincicn for a RHD prospect.

Tampa: The choice here is DeAngelo or Blujus.

I don't think TB would want to move DeAngelo in this sort of deal. And he is definitely not NHL ready. No chance I trade Marincin for Blujus.

Detroit: They don't need Marincin since they already have lots of NHL ready LHD prospects and young players.

Montreal: They don't have any RHD prospects I'd move Marincin for.

Anaheim: Here you are probably looking at Brandon Montour. He is a 20 year old freshman who is putting up very good numbers in the NCAA. I have no idea how good he is but he is small.

Boston: See Montreal.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad