Rumor: Rumor & Proposals: Is this real life or is this fantasy

Status
Not open for further replies.

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
Sounds like the Lucic stuff was premature by a tad according to Bob. It's not confirmed at all.

OilerFan4Life

Feb 27, 2004
Heartland of Hockey
Laraque will be on Stauffers show at 1.

Should be must listen because:

A) he'll take a few shots at Stauffer being fat.
B) will speak his mind
C) give more insight on his Subban rumor from last week

Jimmi McJenkins

Sometimes miracles
Jan 12, 2006
Alberta
Still amazes me that people still think that lateral trades for forward for D are somehow going to end up in massive improved for this team. They might end up in marginal improvements at best.

The way to improve the team as a whole (not just D core) is to either get D by fleecing other teams, trading for young D on the up and coming, but only for lesser assets, or by trading non NHL players/assets (prospects/picks) for NHL D.

For example, take RNH. Oilers have an 8% decrease in goals for % when hes not on ice (huge, huge decrease). So you swap him out and you replace him with a D who has a marginal positive impact on teams GF% curently. Do you really think team is better off? Cant comprehend that personally. Its defies logic or rational thinking

I think it's going to take the forwards and their performance with competent defense and depth on the team period, for people to actually understand how good they are at hockey.

PaperDesigner

Mar 1, 2008
Yeah I'd rather trade both Hall + Ebs before I'd trade RNH.

Much much much easier to fill holes on the wings than holes at center.

Except Hall is in a different class of player than the other two.

That's like saying one would be better off trading Ovechkin than Bozak, because centres are harder to find.

It's only true if all else is equal. In our case, it's not true.

Draiskull

Oct 26, 2005
Keep me up to date on what bum Stauffer says. My work is a fluid situation so I won't be able to listen the whole time

3 other teams interested in Lucic (Pacific\Central\Florida teams) .. All 3 teams ahead of VAN in Lucic sweepstakes. He is meeting with another organization in West today.

Hopelesslucicfan

Larsson fanclub 2016
Mar 14, 2009
Edmonton
Laraque will be on Stauffers show at 1.

Should be must listen because:

A) he'll take a few shots at Stauffer being fat.
B) will speak his mind
C) give more insight on his Subban rumor from last week

Laraque really doesn't seem to know squat. Every time he's said anything about the oilers, it's been wrong.

SPIRIT

Mar 12, 2014
Sounds like the Lucic stuff was premature by a tad according to Bob. It's not confirmed at all.

Bob has a job to do, here. He needs to make it seem as though things are 'up in the air' with Lucic. If he were to spout how it is a 'sure thing' and they have 'agreed on something', then we are at risk of punishment by the league.

Spawn

Something in the water
Feb 20, 2006
Edmonton

The problem with this logic is that on this team, Hall and Eberle are first line players. Nuge is a 3rd line C on this team.

It's much easier to fill a 3C position than it is a 1st line W position.

Aerrol

༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ
Sep 18, 2014
Still amazes me that people still think that lateral trades for forward for D are somehow going to end up in massive improved for this team. They might end up in marginal improvements at best.

The way to improve the team as a whole (not just D core) is to either get D by fleecing other teams, trading for young D on the up and coming, but only for lesser assets, or by trading non NHL players/assets (prospects/picks) for NHL D.

For example, take RNH. Oilers have an 8% decrease in goals for % when hes not on ice (huge, huge decrease). So you swap him out and you replace him with a D who has a marginal positive impact on teams GF% curently. Do you really think team is better off? Cant comprehend that personally. Its defies logic or rational thinking

Well, it comes down to opinions of players. For instance, how do we define 'fleecing other teams' or agree on who qualifies as a good up and coming d that's good enough?

I'm definitely against trading RNH for Dumba or Brodin (barf), but I think that 8% is a difficult thing to look at in a vacuum. Depending on who we get back for RNH, I think they could provide much more than an 8% boost to the team. For instance, in an RNH for Shattenkirk (re-signed) scenario, I could easily see Shattenkirk giving us a huge boost to our scoring. Why? 1. We'd finally have a player on the backend who can get the puck to our forwards in motion (for a team that does this well, look at the Pens this last cup run. We almost never managed this last season). 2. Shattenkirk is a wizard on the PP, and having him run it would lead to a dramatic bump in our PP scoring.

Hopelesslucicfan

Larsson fanclub 2016
Mar 14, 2009
Edmonton

Yeah, as exciting as it is, it's hard to imagine a ufa agreeing to a verbal contract after only visiting 2 teams, especially one like lucic who I'm sure can get 6+ with term from somewhere.

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
Bob has a job to do, here. He needs to make it seem as though things are 'up in the air' with Lucic. If he were to spout how it is a 'sure thing' and they have 'agreed on something', then we are at risk of punishment by the league.

It's not, they just can't officially sign him, but we are allowed to talk to him and get a verbal agreement, none of that is an issue.

My personal feeling is again people jumped the gun on this.

Jimmi McJenkins

Sometimes miracles
Jan 12, 2006
Alberta
The problem with this logic is that on this team, Hall and Eberle are first line players. Nuge is a 3rd line C.

So this is where we're at now? You're then Datsyukpatywhatever poster version for the Nuge then?

SomeDudeOTI

Feb 25, 2014
Behind enemy lines

Ditto.
How many years were people complaining about our lack of center depth? And now that we have it (assuming Drai pans out) ppl want to throw it away for someone like Dumba?

McDraekke

5-14-6-1
Jan 19, 2006
Edmonton
They do but I imagine if you replaced RNH with a guy like Bergeron, the results would be much different.

There is a reason that every dman that we bring in performs worse than they did on other teams. It is because our forwards are brutal defensively. RNH has to take some of the blame for that given the fact that he plays so many minutes at such an important defensive position.

Lol horrible comparison.

You're saying to swap in arguably the best defensive-minded center in the league and things might get better? lol

Jet Walters

May 15, 2013
I think it's going to take the forwards and their performance with competent defense and depth on the team period, for people to actually understand how good they are at hockey.

They can't all have offensive success on the same team though. NHL average last year was 2.75 forwards per team score 50+ points. Pick the 3-4 guys you want to run your offense through and then fill the rest of the roster with players who bring balance and add diverse strengths.

McShogun99

Aug 30, 2009
Edmonton
The problem with this logic is that on this team, Hall and Eberle are first line players. Nuge is a 3rd line C.

Really? Name 60 centers better then RNH? RNH is a low end 1C or a high end 2C.

Aerrol

༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ
Sep 18, 2014
Lol horrible comparison.

You're saying to swap in arguably the best defensive-minded center in the league and things might get better? lol

I don't think it's even comparable anymore with Datysuk gone. Who else is in the running? Couturier is pretty much the only one I can think of, and I take Bergeron over him all day.

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
If we can't get anything done on D, I think we may have to move on Demers.

Not ideal cap wise, but it would definitely be an upgrade.

Hopelesslucicfan

Larsson fanclub 2016
Mar 14, 2009
Edmonton

oh come on, even if you hate nuge, you know this isn't true... I understand your frustration with him and with people acting like he's a sure thing to hit 60+ points this year, but nuge is a second line center at worst on any team in the league.

PinSeeker

Really narrowed his eyyyyyyyyyesssssss
Aug 22, 2005
YLW
After yesterday's smoke and mirrors I cannot stand to listen to Bob again today. Jamieson it is.

McDeepika

Aug 14, 2004
We can move any combination of 2 of RNH/Eberle/Hall and still be extremely comfortable up front if we sign Lucic

Lucic McDavid Puljujarvi
Pouliot Draisaitl Eberle

Lucic McDavid Puljujarvi
Pouliot RNH Draisatil

Lucic McDavid Yakupov
Hall Draisaitl Puljujarvi

I would be happy with any of those units as my top 6.

tv14

Cam Dadbot
Feb 12, 2008
Alberta
The problem with this logic is that on this team, Hall and Eberle are first line players. Nuge is a 3rd line C on this team.

Nuge led our centres in TOI/G and EVTOI/G this year if I'm not mistaken. McLellan obviously does not see him as our 3C.

Spawn

Something in the water
Feb 20, 2006
Edmonton
oh come on, even if you hate nuge, you know this isn't true... I understand your frustration with him and with people acting like he's a sure thing to hit 60+ points this year, but nuge is a second line center at worst on any team in the league. Calling him a 3rd liner does nothing to help your arguement, it just looks bad on you.

I clarified my post. He's a 3rd line C here. I agree he's a 2nd line center in terms of ability.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad