Rumor: Rumor and Trade proposals: 50 Shades of Brent - The McSeabrook fantasy

Status
Not open for further replies.

Aequitas

Jun 10, 2008
Fort McMurray
I'm not sure. I thought it was first 5 years spawn seems to think total. A clarification would be grand

From Wikipedia.

This averaged annual salary is determined by dividing the total compensation by the lesser of the number of years of the Offer Sheet or five years

Good call spawn

Anyways I don't think adding more years and raising the aav is a good idea that actually helps Boston by giving them more compensation or lowering actual amount being payed. Either way it's better for the oilers to do 5 or less

iCanada

Feb 6, 2010
Edmonton
I'm not sure. I thought it was first 5 years spawn seems to think total. A clarification would be grand

Its is total, however the total cannot be greater than 5.

So if you sign him to a 1,2,3,4,5 year deal it is the AAV that couints against the cap. However, You signed him to a 6 or a 7 year deal it is the total value divided by 5.

Mr Positive

Cap Crunch Incoming
Nov 20, 2013
I'd be OK with 2 firsts and 2 2nds for Hamilton, not sure on the price ranges tho. I would be OK with 6.5 * 6

Or offer them LD first, then OS if not

Risk it

Nurse-Hamilton top pairing with Klefbom and marincin second pairing? Yes please

I like that because it keeps the cap hit manageable, but still high enough to make it unaffordable for Boston.

It also inflates the compensation a bit. A 6.5 cap hit give an insulting compensation. They would match that out of principle. Going that extra year adds another 1st from us, so that starts being worth it for them.

lakai17

Aug 10, 2006
It's Brooks but:

http://nypost.com/2015/06/06/sathers-win-now-deals-were-not-selfishly-motivated/

Yandle and Talbot gives us a top-4 D-man and a starting goalie. We don't have a grinding physical forward to give. Maybe a three way deal with a team who wants picks and has one to give?

Oil are due for a trade with Sather.

They would probably only be interested in Yakupov if they seek goals or explosiveness. It would be a blockbuster trade. It is Keith Yandle.

IAGTTAYM

Dec 15, 2006
The Bruins would match that. You've got to get the cap hit higher.
Yeah, they would probably match it. But to me, 5 x 7.3 + the picks is a pretty darn steep price to pay for Hamilton. But it might be necessary to put Bruins in a tough spot.

McOilbleeder

We are all Kloppites
Aug 5, 2006
Oil Country

They would probably only be interested in Yakupov if they seek goals or explosiveness. It would be a blockbuster trade. It is Keith Yandle.

I doubt Yakupov is he type of forward they are looking for. I was thinking more a three-way trade with Arizona. Boedker is having 'slow' negotiations and IIRC plays that sort of game.

To New York Rangers: Boedker
To Edmonton: Yandle + Talbot
To Arizona: Picks + Cap dump (3 1 year expiring deals make sense)

I'm just not sure Boedker is enough to justify trading Talbot and Yandle for the Rangers.

Spawn

Something in the water
Feb 20, 2006
Edmonton
Yeah, they would probably match it. But to me, 5 x 7.3 + the picks is a pretty darn steep price to pay for Hamilton. But it might be necessary to put Bruins in a tough spot.

Yep. But an offer sheet is inherently going to be an overpay. The only way to get the Bruins to give up on a 21 year old 22 minute a night 40+ point player is by putting them in a tough spot.

There's no doubt that offer sheeting a player like Hamilton for big time salary would be a risk. He's a really good player, but not yet an elite one. And 7.3 million dollars would put some big time pressure on the kid to perform from day one immediately.

It is a last resort type of thing. I'd imagine if Chiarelli was serious about getting Hamilton you first work with the new Bruins GM (who was his assistant for years) and try and work out a deal. If you can't... the you weigh the risk. Hamilton probably solves the long term need for a #1 d-man. But he isn't one yet, and it isn't a 100% guarantee he gets there. Is it worth a 1st+2nd+3rd (or even potentially 2 1sts+2nd+3rd) and can you manage the hit?

rosemount289

Feb 12, 2008
No from...............???

No from my perspective.........It would eventually ruin the Oilers' cap situation.

Remember......if McDavid pans out like he is projected to be..........Connor will have to be paid like a superstar (three years after his entry contract).

The Oilers also have to fill other positional needs.....more defensemen and goaltenders.

IAGTTAYM

Dec 15, 2006
No from my perspective.........It would eventually ruin the Oilers' cap situation.

Remember......if McDavid pans out like he is projected to be..........Connor will have to be paid like a superstar (three years after his entry contract).

The Oilers also have to fill other positional needs.....more defensemen and goaltenders.
If all our young, high end players pan out we will end up in cap hell no matter what. So having cheap players that can supplement the core will be paramount (paying three high picks for Hamilton would hurt down the road in that aspect).

But at the end of the day, we probably won't be able to keep everyone around. Hard choices will have to be made. In all likelihood we will have to move a top player(s), in a Bobby Ryan type of deal (Getting back a cheap roster player, B prospect and a pick).

If we could sign Hamilton, he would go into my core group with McDavid, Hall and Nurse. That would be the pieces that I'd fight tooth over nail to keep, the rest would be in play when push comes to shove.

iCanada

Feb 6, 2010
Edmonton
If all our young, high end players pan out we will end up in cap hell no matter what. So having cheap players that can supplement the core will be paramount (paying three high picks for Hamilton would hurt down the road in that aspect).

But at the end of the day, we probably won't be able to keep everyone around. Hard choices will have to be made. In all likelyhood we will have to move a top player(s), in a Bobby Ryan type of deal (Getting back a cheap roster player, B prospect and a pick).

If we could sign Hamilton, he would go into my core group with McDavid, Hall and Nurse. That would be the pieces that I'd fight tooth over nail to keep, the rest would be in play when push comes to shove.

As long as Chia can manage things the way a guy like Bob Murray has, and not the way he did in Boston, we will be fine.

Bobby Ryan type trades aren't necessarily bad. I think the Seguin trade was bad, but thats because he was mandated to find win now players instead of piece that would be good 2 to 3 years down the line. If they got a return as such, say like Klingberg+Chiasson+Sweetener then i think it would be a non-issue deal, same as the Ryan trade.

McOilbleeder

We are all Kloppites
Aug 5, 2006
Oil Country
We're always going to be a top heavy cap team. If that job is made harder but you add a 21 y/o D-man who is basically playing tough minutes while putting up 40 points on his 3rd season in the NHL, I think you take that challenge every time.

Chicago has 6 or 7 players on contracts worth around 600-700k/yr. That'll probably be us going forward (and a loooong way down the line), but if we add a player of Hamilton's quality to the team, we're addressing a massive hole.

The chances are minute of this actually happening or going through, but if the possibility exists, I'd do it 10/10 without thinking twice. Funny too, if you go the Bruins Hamilton thread, they were talking about the ideal partner for him. They describe and then name Nurse.

iCanada

Feb 6, 2010
Edmonton
The Seguin trade...it's Neely trade !!! Not PC trade...

I agree.

Before Nealy was involved Chia made the trade to actually bring Seguin to Boston; the Kessel trade.

Like i said, he was mandated to get rid of Seguin ASAP, and also keep the team competitive for the cup. Kind of a ****** mandate, but from what I can see, it was a very clear one from Nealy in that one video series (Maybe 24/7? No... some other series). I think the trade accomplished that.

RebuildTheRebuild

Apr 27, 2013
I agree.

Before Nealy was involved Chia made the trade to actually bring Seguin to Boston; the Kessel trade.

Like i said, he was mandated to get rid of Seguin ASAP, and also keep the team competitive for the cup. Kind of a ****** mandate, but from what I can see, it was a very clear one from Nealy in that one video series (Maybe 24/7? No... some other series). I think the trade accomplished that.

I agree too that PC was put on a mandate to get rid of Seguin but he is also responsible for the return of that trade. The return was poor and that's on Chiarelli.

lakai17

Aug 10, 2006
I doubt Yakupov is he type of forward they are looking for. I was thinking more a three-way trade with Arizona. Boedker is having 'slow' negotiations and IIRC plays that sort of game.

To New York Rangers: Boedker
To Edmonton: Yandle + Talbot
To Arizona: Picks + Cap dump (3 1 year expiring deals make sense)

I'm just not sure Boedker is enough to justify trading Talbot and Yandle for the Rangers.

Add Justin Schultz and Kevin Klein to the mix??

To NY: Boedker + Schultz
To Edmonton: Yandle + (Klein or Talbot)
To Arizona: Oil #16 pick + Purcell

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004

Yandle would need to be extended for me to even consider it. That said if he was I'd be all over a trade of Yak for Yandle and Talbot. Then sign Green or deal for Burns and we have one hell of a high octane offensive team.

Spawn

Something in the water
Feb 20, 2006
Edmonton
The Seguin trade...it's Neely trade !!! Not PC trade...

PC might not have been ultimately responsible for the decision to trade Seguin out of Boston (although he certainly was complicit) he was solely responsible for the return. Which was flat out not good enough. With some hindsight it is a terrible deal.

Oiler fans need to except that. I'm super thrilled we got Chiarelli, but that Seguin trade was a bad one. There is no way to sugar coat it.

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
PC might not have been ultimately responsible for the decision to trade Seguin out of Boston (although he certainly was complicit) he was solely responsible for the return. Which was flat out not good enough. With some hindsight it is a terrible deal.

Oiler fans need to except that. I'm super thrilled we got Chiarelli, but that Seguin trade was a bad one. There is no way to sugar coat it.

How much of this is because Eriksson fell off a cliff though? Ultimately I agree, it was a poor return but it likely looks worse than it did because of Eriksson's dip in production.

iCanada

Feb 6, 2010
Edmonton

Well, agreed. I also do accept that it was a bad trade Chiarelli made.

I dont really see how given his mandate (Trade Seguin ASAP, make our team better for next year than this year) he could have made a winning trade though.

You aren't going to get a better forward than Seguin for Seguin. Just wouldn't happen.

I think if anything, he is at fault for listening to what Neely wanted too much. Hence the "I must have complete control of hockey ops" before he signed here.

Spawn

Something in the water
Feb 20, 2006
Edmonton
How much of this is because Eriksson fell off a cliff though? Ultimately I agree, it was a poor return but it likely looks worse than it did because of Eriksson's dip in production.

His fall in production happened in his last year in Dallas. His scoring was identical to his next season in Boston. Chiarelli was counting on a bounce back that didn't happen. Don't get me wrong, it does look worse with hindsight. Eriksson didn't bounce back and Seguin pretty much immediately was one of the best scorers in the league.

But yikes... two years later and that trade might go down as one of the worst ever.

Jet Walters

May 15, 2013

Was just going to post something similar. Eriksson at the time of the trade was one of the top wingers in the league, putting up around 70 points a year with a great 2-way game. I thought it was a good return for Seguin.

PaPaDee

5-14-6-1
Sep 21, 2005
Saskazoo

Yep, and every GM has made bad moves, it happens. As long as you learn from them and the good outweigh the bad.

Titsuple

Jun 23, 2009
edmonton
We're always going to be a top heavy cap team. If that job is made harder but you add a 21 y/o D-man who is basically playing tough minutes while putting up 40 points on his 3rd season in the NHL, I think you take that challenge every time.

Chicago has 6 or 7 players on contracts worth around 600-700k/yr. That'll probably be us going forward (and a loooong way down the line), but if we add a player of Hamilton's quality to the team, we're addressing a massive hole.

The chances are minute of this actually happening or going through, but if the possibility exists, I'd do it 10/10 without thinking twice. Funny too, if you go the Bruins Hamilton thread, they were talking about the ideal partner for him. They describe and then name Nurse.

By the time Mcdavid is out of his entry level he should be good enough to have players like pitlick/chase on his line

Hall Mcdavid Rookie or budget guy
Pouliot RNH Eberle
Mud Lander Yak
4th line grinders

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad