Status
Not open for further replies.

Sweetpotato

Jan 10, 2014
Edmonton
EDM 2nd+MTL 2nd+OTT 3rd to NYR for Talbot+Klein

Schultz to DAL for Lehtonen

Scrivens for anything

Hire an elite goalie coach, its a must and something we've never had, any of our goalies that have excelled have done it in spite of them, not because of them. We add 2 great goalies and a top 4 dman.

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
He didn't look stupid against the Flyers and dismantling that freight train as he won the Stanley Cup.

Meh, even with stupidity, I'll take him regardless. Won't see other teams take cheap shots against the young guns with him on the ice, and he can actually play wing if needed.

No thanks to a guy who would immediately be the team's best defenceman. Because you don't like his "stupid". Alrighty then.

I kind of agree with you but I think properly motivated with a good coach/system, he could be a very useful player.

My problem is after next season he's gonna be looking for his cash out contract. With his history of poor conditioning and his rough style, he might fall off a cliff and end up being a boat anchor.

You can pretty much come up with a flaw for every player we'd be able to acquire. Byfuglien on a pairing with someone reliable like Klefbom would be a huge boost to this team. I just don't see why Winnipeg would move him. I don't see him or Seabrook moving unfortunately. Chicago's D would be brutal if they moved Seabrook, especially to us because we have nothing other than Marincin to really offer as a replacement for him.

I think UFA might be the best option with Ehrhoff, Sekera, Martin, Beauchemin and Green. If we could sign one of these guys and target a team in cap trouble through trade we've shored up our D core pretty nicely. Brent Burns is my pipedream addition if San Jose is looking to change things up.

As a former resident of Winnipeg I watch quite a few Jets games. I really enjoy watching a big gritty team that brings their lunch pails to work most often. That said there are way too many occasions when Buf was a detriment to winning.
I get the seduction with the very good parts of his game. When he is motivated and playing with an edge (in an intelligent manner) he is a great dman....especially his offensive game. The problem is that this doesn't happen nearly often enough.

It appears that I am not the only one that feels this way about his game. Numerous articles have been written.

Here is a sampling....

Byfuglien has a higher ceiling as a defenceman than a forward. The counter is he can do loads more damage on the blue-line.

....it was best for the Jets to move the behemoth off the blue-line.

Too often Byfuglien appeared winded and disinterested when the puck was in the Winnipeg Jets' defensive zone. His gaffes were like neon paint spilled on a virgin sheet of ice.

http://www.winnipegfreepress.com/sports/hockey/jets/move-buff-back-278335331.html

It is time for some addition by subtraction: The Winnipeg Jets need to move Dustin Byfuglien and get the most they can for him.

Less Buff will be best for the Jets now and going forward.
Dustin Byfuglien looks on as the Nashville Predators celebrate an overtime win Oct. 24 in Nashville. Care to guess which player turned over the puck to set up the game-winning goal?

Evgeni Malkin scored on two Byfuglien turnovers Sunday.

Whether it's at the trade deadline or this summer when the salary cap rises and loosens up the market, Jets GM Kevin Cheveldayoff has to do what he can to get a return for Byfuglien.

In the interim, coach Claude Noel should limit his minutes. The addiction to Byfuglien has to end. It's killing the Jets and Noel's future as head coach.

It's impossible for the coach to preach system and puck management when one of his minutes leaders refuses to buy in. It's time to stop thinking about Byfuglien's potential and look at his reality. He's a hazard.

http://www.winnipegfreepress.com/sports/hockey/jets/time-to-dust-dustin-239005421.html

The history goes back a long ways and it didnt get much better in this years playoffs. I have seen enough of this player to understand that he is too much of a liability.
No thanks to Buf...surely there are better options out there.

Last edited:

Soli

Supervision Required
Sep 8, 2005
Also, you should probably state "certain leafs fans" because you are generalizing an entire fan base by your comnent....

Guys, is it at all possible that he replied to himself, but the "you" he is referring to is JTS, whom he was referring to in his first post?

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
I never said that Seabrook wasn't capable of handling the minutes, my argument was the exact opposite.

What I'm saying is that just because he's not the #1 in Chicago doesn't mean he wouldn't be a #1 on the other 29 teams. And just because someone is the #1 option on another team doesn't make him a #1 d-man.

It's all based on ability. not how many #1 d-men your team has or doesn't have.

Thanks for the clarification.
Looks like we are in complete agreement. :D

MPStoEberletoHall*

Anyone think we could potentially go after Soderberg? He's a guy Chirelli is high on I heard.

Ritchie Valens

Sep 24, 2007
Back to the goalie issue, Friedman did an interview on the Fan 960 and here is the corresponding article.

http://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/nhl/six-teams-that-could-move-a-goaltender-this-summer/

The interesting thing will be which way PC attacks the D-goalie situation he needs to fix. Does he obtain a goalie (or goalies) first then fix the D or does he fix the D first. I think he's going to try to fix the D first as getting some higher caliber defensemen will go a long way in either getting a UFA goalie to sign with the Oilers or getting a goalie with a NT/NM clause to waive. He'll probably get one one of those d-men and the backup via trade at the draft and the other two on July 1st.

As for goalies, my personal want for a #1 starter is I'd like someone that has a minimum of 240-300 NHL games played (or 4-5 years of experience). Obtaining an unproven guy (ie: Gibson, Lehner, Lack) as a backup is great but not to hand the reigns over to and hope for the best. If they get one of these three, that goalie will need to have an experienced mentor to shoulder the load. Steve Mason was able to bounce back and have a great season in Philly so maybe the Oilers could pick up a goalie for cheap who had a bad year as well. I think Scrivens will be dealt in the coming weeks.

Dimensha

Jul 14, 2010
New rules out for offer sheet compensation, should the Oilers offer sheet Hamilton?

The new rule for compensation for offer sheets are out now:

Less than $1,205,377: Nothing
$1,205,377-to-$1,826,328: Third-round pick
$1,826,328-to-$3,652,659: Second-round pick
$3,652,659-to-$5,478,986: First and third-round picks
$5,478,986-to-$7,305,316: First, second and third-round picks
$7,305,316-to-$9,131,645: Two firsts, a second and third-round picks
$9,131,645 or greater: Four first-round picks

Is it worth it for the Oilers to try and offer sheet Dougie Hamilton for $7.3 mil knowing they will lose their first, second and third-round picks?

thadd

Oil4Life
Jun 9, 2007
Canada
If it works and we end up with Dougie Hamilton, yes. It's very much worth it.

I could live with having Nurse, Hamilton and Klefbom doing all of the heavy lifting for the next few years.

KCC

Aug 15, 2007
The new rule for compensation for offer sheets are out now:

Is it worth it for the Oilers to try and offer sheet Dougie Hamilton for $7.3 mil knowing they will lose their first, second and third-round picks?

It is not worth it.

Sniper99

Jan 12, 2011
Edmonton
Worth it but I think Boston signs him no matter what. They'll find a way to get him under the cap. With Chara not too far from retirement. Cant afford to let Dougie go.

kickaction

Dec 4, 2014
In my opinion, Hamilton is someone who would be worth the risk.

He's a RHD (something Klefbom and Nurse don't fill) who is ready to play now and has 1D written all over him.

I guess a lot of it would depend on whether or not PC has faith in this team moving up in the standings with someone like Hamilton and other additions, as you would essentially then be giving up a mid to late round draft picks vs. giving something up in the top 10.

I don't want to compare this to the outcome of the Dustin Penner offer sheet because I feel like Hamilton is his own category in comparison to Penner. But if you were to offer a trade of a 1st, 2nd and 3rd for a defensemen like OEL or Pietrangelo, you would be laughed at. This is a chance to acquire a player with just that.

Samus44

Enjoy the ride.
Aug 5, 2010
It's worth it but unless you go to the next level of compensation i doubt Boston lets him walk.

Supermassive

HISS, HISS
Feb 19, 2007
Sherwood Park
Don't think Chiarelli wants the infamy of offersheeting his ex-bosses' best asset while trying to make this GM job his own and gently disposing of the previous offersheeting management team.

Supermassive

HISS, HISS
Feb 19, 2007
Sherwood Park
Back to the goalie issue, Friedman did an interview on the Fan 960 and here is the corresponding article.

http://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/nhl/six-teams-that-could-move-a-goaltender-this-summer/

The interesting thing will be which way PC attacks the D-goalie situation he needs to fix. Does he obtain a goalie (or goalies) first then fix the D or does he fix the D first. I think he's going to try to fix the D first as getting some higher caliber defensemen will go a long way in either getting a UFA goalie to sign with the Oilers or getting a goalie with a NT/NM clause to waive. He'll probably get one one of those d-men and the backup via trade at the draft and the other two on July 1st.

As for goalies, my personal want for a #1 starter is I'd like someone that has a minimum of 240-300 NHL games played (or 4-5 years of experience). Obtaining an unproven guy (ie: Gibson, Lehner, Lack) as a backup is great but not to hand the reigns over to and hope for the best. If they get one of these three, that goalie will need to have an experienced mentor to shoulder the load. Steve Mason was able to bounce back and have a great season in Philly so maybe the Oilers could pick up a goalie for cheap who had a bad year as well. I think Scrivens will be dealt in the coming weeks.

I don't think I've heard Friedman say anything I disagree with. Smart dude.

Address the D first. Get a vet goalie after. Boom.

SK13

non torsii subligarium
Jul 23, 2007
Edmonton
Address the D first. Get a vet goalie after. Boom.

This is one of those "where's there's smoke, there's fire" type deals, where I think we've been given a strong insight into what management thinks and not enough of us are picking up on it.

Chiarelli said he would move picks for players who are younger, have an opportunity to improve us "right away" but have a future with the club. We hear that the Oilers kicked tires on Gibson, Talbot and Lehner.

I think it's a good percentage bet to say the Oilers have zero interest in a "veteran" goaltender, at least in trade. They will approach someone they think can be their #1 long term, and not an average guy for two to three years.

Samus44

Enjoy the ride.
Aug 5, 2010
Don't think Chiarelli wants the infamy of offersheeting his ex-bosses' best asset while trying to make this GM job his own and gently disposing of the previous offersheeting management team.

I think the more likely offer sheet scenario is that the Oilers hold Boston ransom ala Kessel. Chiarelli's previous employment shouldn't really matter too much unless he feels the connection could allow for some quality trades like Dave Tallon and Chicago.

Burnt Biscuits

May 2, 2010
We have too many good young kids we need to protect I'd prefer to stay away from the offer sheet route. If we did offer sheet someone I prefer to go after the low hanging fruit at around the 2nd round pick compensation level or lower on teams pressed up against the cap. Like if there is some young prospect you like, but isn't necessarily really high on the other teams priority list e.g. Vladislav Namestnikov, Jakob Silfverberg, Brett Connolly you might be able to poach them at $2.5-$3 million a year which is an overpayment, but there is still enough upside that they could cover the bet. Going after the Tarasenko's or Hamilton's of the world isn't going to work unless you just offer crazy stupid money.

Looking for targets in areas of need I don't see much to choose from that I don't think will be matched, I'm curious how high St. Louis would go on Jake Allen, cause I know they like him a ton, but I don't think they have any intention of paying him anything close to starter money as of yet.

Quinteoilers

Jan 7, 2012
$60M for 8 years-$7.5M/year....and it doesn't take anything off your current roster. I don't think you could possibly trade for him unless McDavid is going the other way.

Last edited:

nabob

Big Daddy Kane
Aug 3, 2005
HF boards
I say do it. Instantly would fill out the back end for the future.

Hamilton
Nurse
Klefbom

Everyone is going to hate us soon anyway.

misfit

5-14-6-1
Feb 2, 2004
just north of...everything
Offer sheet is fine if you get the player. In the case of Hamilton, there's no way we get the player, so what's the point? The Bruins can't afford not to match any signed offer. They need Hamilton way more than a couple of draft picks.

Bangers

May 31, 2006

Maybe he does it to stick it to Neely.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad