Rumor: Rumor and Trade proposals: 50 Shades of Brent - The McSeabrook fantasy

Status
Not open for further replies.

Spawn

Something in the water
Feb 20, 2006
Edmonton
Yep, and every GM has made bad moves, it happens. As long as you learn from them and the good outweigh the bad.

Absolutely correct. Chiarelli seems like a very smart man. I'd be stunned if he didn't learn from that experience.

Aceboogie

Aug 25, 2012
If anything the Seguin trade is good for us. Losing so bad hopefully taught chia to get tremendous value for young players, or hold on to them if they struggle for a bit. Also young players can mature. A rookie GM would not have that experience and might feel pressure to trade a young guy

This is assuming chiarelli learns something. But personally I've never worried about it

Trafalgar Sadge Law

Nov 8, 2007
Offer to Boston
Nail Yakupov
2015 1st (16th)
2016 1st (oil)
2015 2nd (mtl)
2016 2nd (oil)

for

Dougie Hamilton
Loui Eriksson

If they refuse, offer sheet 7.5/year. Buy out Nikitin and let Schultz walk if he cant be traded.
Why not just offer sheet him directly then? No point offering them a better package than 2 1sts and a 2nd.

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
Why not just offer sheet him directly then? No point offering them a better package than 2 1sts and a 2nd.

I almost think Neely would force them to match out of spite rather than see Chiarelli get Hamilton.

Maybe if we were a "neutral" team they would take the 1sts and walk, but I think emotions would probably boil over in this case.

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
His fall in production happened in his last year in Dallas. His scoring was identical to his next season in Boston. Chiarelli was counting on a bounce back that didn't happen. Don't get me wrong, it does look worse with hindsight. Eriksson didn't bounce back and Seguin pretty much immediately was one of the best scorers in the league.

But yikes... two years later and that trade might go down as one of the worst ever.

One of the worst ever is probably pushing it IMO but so far it looks pretty damn bad. IIRC Eriksson had a bad concussion in Boston as well which certainly didn't help matters.

Was just going to post something similar. Eriksson at the time of the trade was one of the top wingers in the league, putting up around 70 points a year with a great 2-way game. I thought it was a good return for Seguin.

It made sense if Eriksson was still that player however as Spawn said Chia and co. gambled that he would be and lost. It happens but it looks quite bad in hindsight.

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
Absolutely correct. Chiarelli seems like a very smart man. I'd be stunned if he didn't learn from that experience.

He still gets hounded for it even like the second or third question at his presser here was about Seguin.

I think he learned his lesson, but truth be told if Tyler wasn't out partying and getting drunk before playoff games, he'd still be a Bruin and none of our kids has those types of problems and McDavid certainly does not either.

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
Nail Yakupov for NJD 1st (6th overall), Oilers select Ivan Provorov (D)

PIT 1st + Martin Marincin + Nikita Nikitin (cap dump)
for
Eddie Lack + Dan Hamhuis + Zack Kassian

Oilers sign UFAs Christian Ehrhoff + Chris Stewart

Teddy Purcell for Michael Grabner

Pouliot RNH Eberle
Hall McDavid Stewart
Kassian Lander Grabner
Hendricks Gordon Klink

Hamhuis Fayne
Klefbom Ehrhoff
Ference Schultz

Lack
Scrivens

That's not a bad roster to be honest. There's some size and speed, but definitely a ton of skill.

McJeety McJeet

Nov 5, 2011
Edmonton
How much of this is because Eriksson fell off a cliff though? Ultimately I agree, it was a poor return but it likely looks worse than it did because of Eriksson's dip in production.

And this is exactly the type of trade many of the people on the main/trade board say we need to make in order to get better. It's extremely funny when you consider that with all the hockey knowledge on this board, and there is plenty of it, the constant theme is:

- draft picks have insane value.
- young players only have insane value if they're in the top 20 in their position by year 2 or 3, if they meet this criteria then their value goes straight past insane and on to bonkers.
-older experienced players in their prime have insane value.

Young players figuring their game out: dime-a-dozen and busts.

McPuritania

LucicDestroyedHaley
May 25, 2010
Toussaint
And this is exactly the type of trade many of the people on the main/trade board say we need to make in order to get better..

Ain't that the truth. They jump down our throats, shouting at us to trade one of the kids for depth, or whatever, or be losers for life, then they laugh at us because Chia traded Seguin.

Uh, okay then. *pats the mainboard on the head*

Bobblehead

Sep 30, 2006

for

Pouliot RNH Eberle
Hall McDavid Stewart
Kassian Lander Grabner
Hendricks Gordon Klink

Hamhuis Fayne
Klefbom Ehrhoff
Ference Schultz

Lack
Scrivens

That's not a bad roster to be honest. There's some size and speed, but definitely a ton of skill.

Good roster, but your Jersey and Vancouver deals are WAY off. Huge wins for the Oilers.

HeavyHitter99

Jun 18, 2013
Good roster, but your Jersey and Vancouver deals are WAY off. Huge wins for the Oilers.

The jersey trade is not a huge win for us. Pretty fair.

The Canucks trade is probably slightly in our favour because of Nikitins negative value. According to Canucks fans for their players values:

Hamhuis ~ mid first
Lack ~ 2nd rounder with maybe a small plus
Kassian ~ not much

Drop Kassian and we add a 3rd and it's probably fair value

tiger_80

Apr 11, 2007
Was just going to post something similar. Eriksson at the time of the trade was one of the top wingers in the league, putting up around 70 points a year with a great 2-way game. I thought it was a good return for Seguin.

Erikson is still a solid 2nd line player. Seguin was not going to work in Boston. Good for Dallas it worked out for them, but it's not the trade I would hold against Chiarelli. Btw, he also got J.Morrow in that trade who at the time was considered one of the top defensive prospects and may still have bright future in the NHL. if Eriksson remains a solid 40-50 point two way winger for the next 3 years and Morrow puts it together, this is not a bad trade.

McShogun99

Aug 30, 2009
Edmonton

for

Pouliot RNH Eberle
Hall McDavid Stewart
Kassian Lander Grabner
Hendricks Gordon Klink

Hamhuis Fayne
Klefbom Ehrhoff
Ference Schultz

Lack
Scrivens

I'd want a better defenceman coming back for the 2015 PIT 1st, especially not one with a year to go to UFA.

I'd wait to see how Yakupov does under the new coach before considering to trade him.

Grabner would be a waste on the roster, third line spot should be filled by a 2 way player.

McQuixote

Jan 27, 2006
Edmonton, AB

According to that Good Will Hunting / McDavid video, we've only ruined Yakupov a little bit, so I agree that a 6th overall for him, especially with him still on a (hopefully) value contract, can't be seen as a "huge" win for the Oilers.

Mr Positive

Cap Crunch Incoming
Nov 20, 2013
I'd want a better defenceman coming back for the 2015 PIT 1st, especially not one with a year to go to UFA.

I'd wait to see how Yakupov does under the new coach before considering to trade him.

Grabner would be a waste on the roster, third line spot should be filled by a 2 way player.

yes, plus I do not get the point of trading Yakupov to get even younger than we already are. Most fanbases dream of adding top 10 picks to their draft. Our team should be the last one to do so. If anything we should be thinking of ways of trading away the picks we have (minus the 1st overall of course).

I'm actually psyched to see how Yak does this season. We need some more help this offseason but I think Chia can do it. With the team playing better, we won't even want to trade Yak anymore and if we need to, we'll be asking for a lot more than just Provorov.

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004

Very risky...not only from an asset POV and a cap POV but from a League perception POV as well.
I dont see any way Boston lets Hamilton get away...especially to their ex GM.

Hamilton is Bostons next Chara and they will fight tooth and nail to keep him.

Thats why i think you try and get Chara. He would be much cheaper to acquire than Hamilton and he is still a very good Dman even at 38.
He would also be a perfect mentor for the young D on this team and in a couple of years his contract is a non issue.
I think this is a perfect time to go for Chara. Add another top 4 D and this defence is set for a couple of years until Klefbom and especially a very raw Nurse develop.

Last edited:

Bobblehead

Sep 30, 2006

The Canucks trade is probably slightly in our favour because of Nikitins negative value. According to Canucks fans for their players values:

Hamhuis ~ mid first
Lack ~ 2nd rounder with maybe a small plus
Kassian ~ not much

Drop Kassian and we add a 3rd and it's probably fair value

There's no way Jersey accepts Yak for 6th. GMs always like the shiniest, newest toys. Plus with the Eakins-effect still hanging over Yak, there's way too much risk for the Devils, especially considering all the hype around the draft.

There's no way Van makes that trade. They need to get younger. They have very few draft picks in this years draft and they might want to free up cash. But you have to have a GM that's looking to the post-Sedin era.

Hamhuis for a mid first I think is more than fair. Considering they can use that cap space to help sign Cody Franson.....so they get Franson and a 1st for Hamhuis.

Kassian for Marincin might be fairly close. If they;re really that down on Kassian. I'm not sure they want to trade him within their own division/conference.

That leaves Lack for Nikitin. I think you can see where it falls apart. No way they're taking Nikitin.

I could see
Lack & Hamhhuis for 16OA, 57OA, Marincin and a third round pick.

Im not worried about Hamhuis and UFA, if he hasn't resigned by the trade deadline, you move him for a Petry type deal, a 2nd +

Burnt Biscuits

May 2, 2010
Very risky...not only from an asset POV and a cap POV but from a League perception POV as well.
I dont see any way Boston lets Hamilton get away...especially to their ex GM.

Hamilton is Bostons next Chara and they will fight tooth and nail to keep him.

Thats why i think you try and get Chara. He would be much cheaper to acquire than Hamilton and he is still a very good Dman even at 38.
He would also be a perfect mentor for the young D on this team and in a couple of years his contract is a non issue.
I think this is a perfect time to go for Chara. Add another top 4 D and this defence is set for a couple of years until Klefbom and especially a very raw Nurse develop.

Hamilton might be the anchor of their defense core when Chara is gone, but he's not the next Chara, that would entail being one of the 5 best d-men in the league for nearly a decade. Next Chara's don't come around that easily, there are some shoes you have to accept that you can't fill.

t0nedeff

Jun 29, 2010
There's no way Jersey accepts Yak for 6th. GMs always like the shiniest, newest toys. Plus with the Eakins-effect still hanging over Yak, there's way too much risk for the Devils, especially considering all the hype around the draft.

There's no way Van makes that trade. They need to get younger. They have very few draft picks in this years draft and they might want to free up cash. But you have to have a GM that's looking to the post-Sedin era.

Hamhuis for a mid first I think is more than fair. Considering they can use that cap space to help sign Cody Franson.....so they get Franson and a 1st for Hamhuis.

Kassian for Marincin might be fairly close. If they;re really that down on Kassian. I'm not sure they want to trade him within their own division/conference.

That leaves Lack for Nikitin. I think you can see where it falls apart. No way they're taking Nikitin.

I could see
Lack & Hamhhuis for 16OA, 57OA, Marincin and a third round pick.

Im not worried about Hamhuis and UFA, if he hasn't resigned by the trade deadline, you move him for a Petry type deal, a 2nd +

so you're not worried about trading for a guy who could potentially want out and than trading said guy for a considerably worse pick in a worse draft. Mact type thinking going on right there.

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
Hamilton might be the anchor of their defense core when Chara is gone, but he's not the next Chara, that would entail being one of the 5 best d-men in the league for nearly a decade. Next Chara's don't come around that easily, there are some shoes you have to accept that you can't fill.

I was overstating things for effect but the point being that Hamilton is their stud dman in the making.

He isnt going anywhere.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad