Rumor: Rumor and Proposal Thread: Anything Cooking After Soli-Gate?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mcnotloilersfan

I'm here, I'm bored
Jul 11, 2010
Niagara
If we are trading away our top guys it's not for other teams top guys. The Blues dont want to get rid of Pietrangelo and they wont no matter what we offer. If we are desperate to shake things up and are trading away our guys just to shake this team up we're more likely to end up with Carl Gunnarson, Ty Rattie and a 1st for Eberle or RNH.

Unless something comes up, like the Hamonic asking for a trade or Johanson playing his way out of favor with a team it's really unlikely we get a hockey trade. So when they do you have to jump on the possibilities and make it happen. If we want to fix our defence we better be looking at UFA's like Byfuglien even if we might regret the term down the road. Shaking up our forward group will be easy in comparison to fixing the defence.

So Jahanson has character issues and wants out and they got a hockey trade, but we can't get a hockey trade for an even tempered Nuge?

BlowbyBlow

Jan 22, 2011
If we are trading away our top guys it's not for other teams top guys. The Blues dont want to get rid of Pietrangelo and they wont no matter what we offer. If we are desperate to shake things up and are trading away our guys just to shake this team up we're more likely to end up with Carl Gunnarson, Ty Rattie and a 1st for Eberle or RNH.

Unless something comes up, like the Hamonic asking for a trade or Johanson playing his way out of favor with a team it's really unlikely we get a hockey trade. So when they do you have to jump on the possibilities and make it happen. If we want to fix our defence we better be looking at UFA's like Byfuglien even if we might regret the term down the road. Shaking up our forward group will be easy in comparison to fixing the defence.

This team is possibly going to get a top 6 player at the draft. I think they absolutely have to swing for a homerun in a trade. It might be RNH+Eberle+ pick. I don't for a second like you think they will ever get any other teams #1 it just takes to long to develop.

I think we all be (including management) be in a wait/see game, because the Oilers D (Klefbom/Nurse/Reinhart) are developing and whoever you get now may stop the bleeding a little but not lots.

If there was any position on the team where you need vets you need it on D. If you overpay now, your almost going to be recompensated with the draft this june.

BlowbyBlow

Jan 22, 2011
So Jahanson has character issues and wants out and they got a hockey trade, but we can't get a hockey trade for an even tempered Nuge?

RNH is just to much of an unknown. The one thing about Johansen is he excels at one thing particular and that is scoring, and he has size/potential.

RNH doesn't play the same style so he's not comparable. RNH's biggest weakness is that he has had consistent years he hasn't had a year where he broke out. He's a 55 possibly 60 point center, and he is a playmaker.

Canovin

1% is the new 11.5%
Oct 27, 2010
I suggested RNH for Henrique and Severson awhile back and got laughed at. I wonder if people still view it the same way. :laugh:

Young Lions*

May 27, 2015

That was a perfect storm there of CBJ wanting to move a #1C and Nashville having a surfeit of good D-men and a hole at C.

I think you're missing the point here. To make a hockey trade in this day an age, a lot of stuff has to line up just right between buyer and seller in terms of contracts, needs and player availability (trades only seem to happen now when the issue is forced, not just for the heck of it). Doesn't happen often and you can't just go to a team with a trade offer and expect them to bite because it looks great on paper.

That's why our best hope is probably Hamonic, but again, it hinges on what Snow is willing to accept. And even then, I think he's an upgrade but not the answer.

BlowbyBlow

Jan 22, 2011
I would take OEL straight up.

It's one trade because it is Matthews and he is from Arizona, that it would be heavily considered by management I think at the draft you get more than OEL. However, I would never hold up a trade if that's all it ended up being.

BlowbyBlow

Jan 22, 2011
And you would hear a big click at the other end unless McDavid's name came up, and we all know that will never happen.

Matthews will be just as good as Eichel/Seguin/Hall. Plus it would never mean anything in a market in Canada, but to have an Arizona kid play for his home team.

People forget that ties to your community is huge. You hear it with California kids getting to play for SJ, ANA, LA.

Same would go for Arizona.

Dazed and Confused

Ludicrous speed, GO!
Aug 10, 2007
Berlin, Germany
That was a perfect storm there of CBJ wanting to move a #1C and Nashville having a surfeit of good D-men and a hole at C.

I think you're missing the point here. To make a hockey trade in this day an age, a lot of stuff has to line up just right between buyer and seller in terms of contracts, needs and player availability (trades only seem to happen now when the issue is forced, not just for the heck of it). Doesn't happen often and you can't just go to a team with a trade offer and expect them to bite because it looks great on paper.

That's why our best hope is probably Hamonic, but again, it hinges on what Snow is willing to accept. And even then, I think he's an upgrade but not the answer.

I think there's a few teams out there that are willing to make a hockey trade for a #1/2 centre

St. Louis is dying for a #1 guy, and none of Stastny, Backes, or Letera are that guy.

If Stamkos leaves, TB will have a big hole

Both these teams have a stable of young defenceman on the way up, and a elite #1. You've got to think they'd look at a deal for RNH based around their #2 and a depth centre. So Stralman and Filpulla or Shattenkirk and Berglund.

Canovin

1% is the new 11.5%
Oct 27, 2010
People need to realize that we will never get a #1D. 15 other teams are also looking for one. We have to start trading RNH/Eberle/Yak etc for 2 top 4 D's. One with #1D upside.

McDeathbyCheerios*

I think there's a few teams out there that are willing to make a hockey trade for a #1/2 centre

St. Louis is dying for a #1 guy, and none of Stastny, Backes, or Letera are that guy.

Both these teams have a stable of young defenceman on the way up, and a elite #1. You've got to think they'd look at a deal for RNH based around their #2 and a depth centre. So Stralman and Filpulla or Shattenkirk and Berglund.
Good point. I honestly didn't think of Tampa needing one. Where Stamkos goes would be very interesting.

Also add Scandella/Trouba/Spurgeon and Coyle as well.

McDeathbyCheerios*

People need to realize that we will never get a #1D. 15 other teams are also looking for one. We have to start trading RNH/Eberle/Yak etc for a 2 top 4 D's. One with #1D upside.
Finding a legit #1 d in a trade that's established doesn't work.

We need to pull an islanders and find a Boychuk and a style Leddy style trade. Two top 4 guys who turn out great. Guys who are lower on teams depth charts because they have such depth.

Winnipeg and Minnesota have a few guys we could try and grab.
St Louis too

Young Lions*

May 27, 2015

St. Louis with Shattenkirk seems like a good match, but then I doubt there's any way you get Shattenkirk to re-sign before you pull the trigger (no incentive for him to do so). Too much risk there.

BlowbyBlow

Jan 22, 2011
People need to realize that we will never get a #1D. 15 other teams are also looking for one. We have to start trading RNH/Eberle/Yak etc for a 2 top 4 D's. One with #1D upside.

Exactly, Really the best the Oilers should hope for and settle on is #2-3D man - d by committee.

I think they have to really be callous in the sense if your at the draft and you have a high pick you take Chychurn besides Puljujärvi or Laine. Take your losses on trading a couple forwards as well.

McDeathbyCheerios*

Exactly, Really the best the Oilers should hope for and settle on is #2-3D man - d by committee.

I think they have to really be callous in the sense if your at the draft and you have a high pick you take Chychurn besides Puljujärvi or Laine. Take your losses on trading a couple forwards as well.
You take BPA. Sadly Chychurn is another LHD who is a couple years away from playing an NHL game.

Canovin

1% is the new 11.5%
Oct 27, 2010

Sekera-#2
Klef-#3
Davidson-Gryba
Nurse

RNH and Eberle for a #2 and #3, we'd be winning. How often do you see RNH and Eberle carrying the team? Rarely. They are just guys you cannot count on. A #2 and #3 would bring a more consistent result daily. That I'm willing to bet.

duul

Jun 21, 2010
Don't think OEL gets traded for anything. Guy is one of the best D in the NHL. Matthews, Nurse +++ might get it done.

BlowbyBlow

Jan 22, 2011
You take BPA. Sadly Chychurn is another LHD who is a couple years away from playing an NHL game.

I used to be all about BPA available but as a previous poster said every team is also looking for a #1D - and the fact if your Nashville/St. louis (teams with d-depth) they are settled with there forward group.

A team like Washington knew they weren't winning anything till they straightend out there d. Pittsburgh forever has had history with there d (minus the two cup runs)

All teams seem to either have a hard time giving up a #1 let alone #2 and then there is other teams that these teams hold it over because they know (ex. Edmonton) if your NYI Hammonic is what you want and we're going to make you overpay.

The biggest issue is the Oilers are struggling bust also, teams who have d-man who the Oilers would be interested in can get by with there forwards groups.

CupofOil

Knob Flavored Coffey
Aug 20, 2009
NYC
yeah so would 99.9% of oilers fans.... arizona would hang up the phone at warp speed though.... OEL >>>> #1 draft pick

Yes, exactly.

Enough with this silly delusion that Arizona has to take this deal because Matthews will save the Coyotes (lol, really?). Set your sights lower Oiler fans.
I don't see any scenario in which a team deals an established prime #1 Dman unless that Dman demanded a trade.

Realistically, the best they can do is get a young developing Dman who has #1 upside. Jones would have fit that mold sadly and although I wasn't a fan of that potential RNH for Jones deal at the time because he was relatively unproven, it looks like a giant missed opportunity in retrospect.

BlowbyBlow

Jan 22, 2011
yeah so would 99.9% of oilers fans.... arizona would hang up the phone at warp speed though.... OEL >>>> #1 draft pick

People should get real. Arizona will lose Doan in a couple years (not sooner) this team is about branding/selling product.

I don't know if any of you have been to a game there unless the team is in a playoff chase fans are of every OTHER team. It really reminds me of L.A. in the early days.
They would take Matthews in a heartbeat.

Now I say it would be an easy swap, but lets say it took Klefbom+Matthews would you do it?

Canovin

1% is the new 11.5%
Oct 27, 2010
People should get real. Arizona will lose Doan in a couple years (not sooner) this team is about branding/selling product.

I don't know if any of you have been to a game there unless the team is in a playoff chase fans are of every OTHER team. It really reminds me of L.A. in the early days.

Now I say it would be an easy swap, but lets say it took Klefbom+Matthews would you do it?

No. Trade RNH+Eberle for the best possible D out there instead. This team is not a OEL away from a cup.

BlowbyBlow

Jan 22, 2011
Yes, exactly.

Enough with this silly delusion that Arizona has to take this deal because Matthews will save the Coyotes (lol, really?). Set your sights lower Oiler fans.
I don't see any scenario in which a team deals an established prime #1 Dman unless that Dman demanded a trade.

Realistically, the best they can do is get a young developing Dman who has #1 upside. Jones would have fit that mold sadly and although I wasn't a fan of that potential RNH for Jones deal at the time because he was relatively unproven, it looks like a giant missed opportunity in retrospect.

That team is about staying a float and selling names, and branding. Arizona could care less about a playoff run or anything. Fans fall into four categories.

1) snowbirds who are content with just watching hockey
b) retired folks who go to the game to relax
3) fans of other teams
4) a very small group of younger fans who like the game.

McDeathbyCheerios*

Switch it to Nurse and i would.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad