Prospect Info: Round 7, 199th overall: Matteo Mann, RHD, Chicoutimi (QMJHL)

Magua

Entirely Palatable Product
Apr 25, 2016
Huron of the Lakes
SSS but yeah...this checks out. :laugh:

1688696745417-png.726849

Flahrsy’s brain when the analytics department showed him that graph:

1XfK.gif

orangey

perpetual mediocrity
Aug 9, 2008
Internet
Mmmm bacon. Oh yeah so this guy has a cool name and stuff. Looking forward to following his career haha.

JojoTheWhale

CORN BOY
May 22, 2008
Still frustrating that Bjorkstrand was BPA on their list... annnnd they ignored it for a "need" pick.

The worst Flyers draft decision of which we are aware and it’s not particularly close. Everyone gets player evaluations wrong. That’s just how it works.

They did all of that work for a year or more and then incinerated their own process on a whim.

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
We are talking 7th rd picks, this is where you gamble on crazy ideas, like "what if we could fix his skating?"
Because the odds of any player you pick there ending up in the NHL is slim to none, yes, there's Palat and a handful of others out of hundreds of picks.
Maybe Gendron will be the exception for the Flyers.
Mann will probably be like all the other 7th rounders, soon forgotten unless he makes it to the Phantoms and becomes a folk hero.

Reactions: Don Nachbaur 26

Appleyard

Mar 5, 2010
Copenhagen
twitter.com
The worst Flyers draft decision of which we are aware and it’s not particularly close. Everyone gets player evaluations wrong. That’s just how it works.

They did all of that work for a year or more and then incinerated their own process on a whim.

I guess not drafting Jagr was worse overall... but slightly different circumstances in that apparently went back and forward and thought Ricci, who had been ranked #1 overall most of the draft year, was going to be a potential 2-way 1C not far off the likes of Bobby Clarke for his career.

But from what I know/understand? If Clarke had not been fired they would have taken Jagr. Farwell and Jay Snider seemingly vetoed the scouts overall concensus from piecing things together, as they were worried Jagr would not come over and loved Ricci's "aura" from what I remember reading.

Farwell himself went on record since saying Head Scout Gerry Melnyk (who was the guy who made them draft Clarke actually!) said he was the best talent in the draft... Head Euro scout Inge Hammarström also said he was the best and actually set up a meeting before the draft where Jagr, his family, Hammarström and Ed Snider all sat down together and had a meal, talked about his NHL future etc.

Usually I would be a bit "ah, that is probably retrospective thinking"...

but it does all add up.

Clarke was fired in April... weeks later went on record with Hockey News saying Jagr was best player in the draft.
Farwell has said Melnyk told him Jagr was the best player in the draft.
Hammarström also said Jagr was the best player in the draft and had called Clarke about him seemingly a day/the day he was fired... also even after Clarke was gone set up meeting with Snider, Jagr and family.

That is: the ex-GM and the two most important amateur scouts in the organisation at the time saying Jagr was best in the draft... and 2/3 of the sources are from either another person who has something to lose by saying it, or a publication at the time before the draft! Hammarström's account is the only one where he was primary source.

IronMarshal

Mar 7, 2002
Langhorne, PA
Visit site
I guess not drafting Jagr was worse overall... but slightly different circumstances in that apparently went back and forward and thought Ricci, who had been ranked #1 overall most of the draft year, was going to be a potential 2-way 1C not far off the likes of Bobby Clarke for his career.

But from what I know/understand? If Clarke had not been fired they would have taken Jagr. Farwell and Jay Snider seemingly vetoed the scouts overall concensus from piecing things together, as they were worried Jagr would not come over and loved Ricci's "aura" from what I remember reading.

Farwell himself went on record since saying Head Scout Gerry Melnyk (who was the guy who made them draft Clarke actually!) said he was the best talent in the draft... Head Euro scout Inge Hammarström also said he was the best and actually set up a meeting before the draft where Jagr, his family, Hammarström and Ed Snider all sat down together and had a meal, talked about his NHL future etc.

Usually I would be a bit "ah, that is probably retrospective thinking"...

but it does all add up.

Clarke was fired in April... weeks later went on record with Hockey News saying Jagr was best player in the draft.
Farwell has said Melnyk told him Jagr was the best player in the draft.
Hammarström also said Jagr was the best player in the draft and had called Clarke about him seemingly a day/the day he was fired... also even after Clarke was gone set up meeting with Snider, Jagr and family.

That is: the ex-GM and the two most important amateur scouts in the organisation at the time saying Jagr was best in the draft... and 2/3 of the sources are from either another person who has something to lose by saying it, or a publication at the time before the draft! Hammarström's account is the only one where he was primary source.
I was thrilled with the Rico pick. Couldn’t believe our luck after having spent the whole season leading up to the draft reading about him. I thought for sure we had the next Clarke. I knew very little about Jagr. How wrong I was!

Larry44

#FireTortsNOW
Mar 1, 2002

Ryan Sittler and Jason Bowen beg to differ. ;)

BackToTheBrierePatch

Nope not today.
Feb 19, 2003
Concord, New Hampshire
Just to get the facts right: Ghoulbourne is listed as 5'11" on eliteprospects. He wasn't big in any sense, they were just hoping to draft the next Sean Avery to revive the bullies.
I get it. My point was they will take these low skill “tough” guys over BPA. Holmgren thought he could turn Klotz into a NHL power forward.

ValeriKamensky

May 8, 2013

Provorov instead Rantanen looks much worse

Last edited:

JojoTheWhale

CORN BOY
May 22, 2008
No. These are all hindsight and/or talent evaluation mistakes. That's the nature of the beast.

What Bjorkstrand turned out to be has no bearing on how poor of a decision it was on draft day. There is no possible worse decision when you're on the clock that ignoring your own draft prep on a whim. It's the epitome of incompetence.

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
Flahr has drafted more small players than Hextall or Holmgren.
Mann was an "outlier" flyer, same as Gendron, just the opposite extreme.

Beef Invictus

Revolutionary Positivity
Dec 21, 2009
Armored Train
Flahr has drafted more small players than Hextall or Holmgren.
Mann was an "outlier" flyer, same as Gendron, just the opposite extreme.

No he was not. I cannot imagine how you dream up these fantasies. Flahr is obsessed with size. He's an insanely lazy evaluator. The fact that he sometimes takes smaller players and then punishes them for not being bigger just means he's stupid as well.

Flahr himself completely disagrees with your assessment of his values. So do his actions.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad