Marlies GDT: Round 2, Game 5: Toronto @ Albany 7PM

Status
Not open for further replies.

Stats01

Jul 12, 2009
Toronto
I've seen bits and pieces of many games, and I thought he's looked uninterested each time. I'll give him the benefit of the doubt with his "illness", but he just doesn't' look hungry. He's not shooting, he's rarely skating. It's like he already thinks he's an NHLer and he can't be bothered to bring it in the AHL anymore. I hope this attitude does not persist into next year.

He's right in thinking that though cause he is an NHL'er it's just the way he's going about it on the ice that is bugging you. What do you think is going through his mind when he sees LeBlond and Blandisi on the opposite side? Probably thinking who the f### are these clowns.

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008
I've seen bits and pieces of many games, and I thought he's looked uninterested each time. I'll give him the benefit of the doubt with his "illness", but he just doesn't' look hungry. He's not shooting, he's rarely skating. It's like he already thinks he's an NHLer and he can't be bothered to bring it in the AHL anymore. I hope this attitude does not persist into next year.

I think you're expecting far too much and not seeing how good he's been for the most part.

He's not going to skate like a mad man and punish people along the boards. That's not his game and it will never be. If you didn't notice the whole Marlies team has had a lot of problems 5 on 5 against a very defensive AHL team --- Albany was THE best defensive team for a reason. Nylander's line has been assigned their top checking line and they are AHL veterans for the most part.

He's been very strong defensively for the most part and really strong on the PP. Let's not forget he has 5 points in 7 AHL games so far, which is still pretty solid.

He didn't have a great game yesterday in particular but he's been really good overall. To assume he's not interested in actually winning a championship with the team he's been on for 70% of the season is bizarre.

Jerkini

May 31, 2003
Visit site
I think you're expecting far too much and not seeing how good he's been for the most part.

He's not going to skate like a mad man and punish people along the boards. That's not his game and it will never be. If you didn't notice the whole Marlies team has had a lot of problems 5 on 5 against a very defensive AHL team --- Albany was THE best defensive team for a reason. Nylander's line has been assigned their top checking line and they are AHL veterans for the most part.

He's been very strong defensively for the most part and really strong on the PP. Let's not forget he has 5 points in 7 AHL games so far, which is still pretty solid.

He didn't have a great case yesterday but he's been really good in my opinion.

That's why I prefaced it by saying i've only seen bits and pieces. I don't have the whole story. I think the one game I didn't watch any of, people were saying it was his best. Maybe that would have swayed my opinion in the other direction. I don't know.

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008
That's why I prefaced it by saying i've only seen bits and pieces. I don't have the whole story. I think the one game I didn't watch any of, people were saying it was his best. Maybe that would have swayed my opinion in the other direction. I don't know.

No offence but it's pretty weird to go to a direct conclusion that he doesn't care based on only watching bits and pieces. But what do I know.

Thissiteisgarbage

Oct 14, 2014
I'm sure he cares as well.

I think he just has a rather "aloof" personality and that comes across in his play as well. I don't expect him to be banging people about, but I noticed a few times he bailed on the play to avoid getting hit...that was my concern/comparison to Kessel.

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008
I'm sure he cares as well.

I think he just has a rather "aloof" personality and that comes across in his play as well. I don't expect him to be banging people about, but I noticed a few times he bailed on the play to avoid getting hit...that was my concern/comparison to Kessel.

I don't recall him 'bailing' on plays, but even great NHLers protect themselves and bail on certain plays, Kessel or not. The 2 turnovers he had yesterday were definitely not good and fully deserves criticism there.

It's what he does in between that makes me say he's been good. I saw a lot of defensive plays and a lot of good zone entries for his line. Note that I didn't say he's been great or dominating but I don't think he has struggled at all. He's been playing that type of game all year, AHL or the NHL.

He's a cerebral player that relies on his top level skill and mobility, not his physical strength or stature.

Daisy Jane

everything is gonna be okay!
Jul 2, 2009
while i think that Nylander deserves the criticism. i am not understanding why people are going "ill"
the Leafs/Marlies organization for the entire season basically were "forthright" on things when it came to injuries and the like. If Nylander wasn't sick - the Marlies wouldn't have said he was sick. they'd say he'd need to be betterish.

that's all.

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008
while i think that Nylander deserves the criticism. i am not understanding why people are going "ill"
the Leafs/Marlies organization for the entire season basically were "forthright" on things when it came to injuries and the like. If Nylander wasn't sick - the Marlies wouldn't have said he was sick. they'd say he'd need to be betterish.

that's all.

He hasn't been 100% since the Bridgeport series and while they haven't admitted it outright, Dangle asked him when he came back to the lineup after missing a game if he was 100%, he took a couple seconds to answer only to say while grinning :"Yeah... for sure." It didn't sound very sincere.

Either way, I'm not using the injury excuse for his performance. He's been pretty solid but definitely not as dominant as he was during the season. I think that's a testament of the super defensive play of Albany overall. The Marlies have just destroyed them on the PP in the last 2 games.

Daisy Jane

everything is gonna be okay!
Jul 2, 2009
He hasn't been 100% since the Bridgeport series and while they haven't admitted it outright, Dangle asked him when he came back to the lineup after missing a game if he was 100%, he took a couple seconds to answer only to say while grinning :"Yeah... for sure." It didn't sound very sincere.

Either way, I'm not using the injury excuse for his performance. He's been pretty solid but definitely not as dominant as he was during the season. I think that's a testament of the super defensive play of Albany overall. The Marlies have just destroyed them on the PP in the last 2 games.

yeah I saw that.

basically the rule of thumb is if you dress you're good to go, and he's not - but i agree with your statements why.

FlareKnight

Jun 26, 2006
Alberta
yeah I saw that.

basically the rule of thumb is if you dress you're good to go, and he's not - but i agree with your statements why.
In the end I wouldn't be surprised if Nylander is sick, but playing regardless. Probably didn't feel they had the luxury of sitting him especially when they got down 2-1.

But if not he certainly needs to get his game going. Their best player has to get producing.

Still, with the playoffs you just never know if guys are just slumping a bit or are good enough to play, but not healthy enough to play well. If they can just close this thing out at home then at least it should help everyone get a little bit of rest.

Stringer Bell

Dec 16, 2009
I've watched each and every game these playoffs from start to finish, and Nylander has looked absolutely invisible aside from the power play. And I'm a huge Nylander fan.

Jerkini

May 31, 2003
Visit site
No offence but it's pretty weird to go to a direct conclusion that he doesn't care based on only watching bits and pieces. But what do I know.

You watch enough bits and pieces at random times and come to the same conclusion each time? That looks like a trend and, well, i think that's worth mentioning and discussing. :teach:

Nithoniniel

Sep 7, 2012
Skövde, Sweden
I've watched each and every game these playoffs from start to finish, and Nylander has looked absolutely invisible aside from the power play. And I'm a huge Nylander fan.

I'd add a few very good shifts as well where he was the main reason we could maintain pressure. But yeah, he's been invisible. I think it's quite clear that he's far from in shape.

Thissiteisgarbage

Oct 14, 2014
I'd add a few very good shifts as well where he was the main reason we could maintain pressure. But yeah, he's been invisible. I think it's quite clear that he's far from in shape.

Well, that could explain what I'm seeing out of him when I watch the games and why I feel he's been "Kesseling" as of late :naughty:

sommervr

Feb 25, 2013
Nylander has been hearing footsteps the entire series. Same thing happened last year vs Grand Rapids. 5x5 he has just been getting rid of the puck as fast as possible and that is not his game. He has been getting slaughtered on the draws as well.

Hopefully he grows out of this. Make no mistake the other team is actively trying to injure him and probably letting him know as much.

Number13

May 21, 2007
Nylander has been hearing footsteps the entire series. Same thing happened last year vs Grand Rapids. 5x5 he has just been getting rid of the puck as fast as possible and that is not his game. He has been getting slaughtered on the draws as well.

Hopefully he grows out of this. Make no mistake the other team is actively trying to injure him and probably letting him know as much.

This point can't be understated. I believe it's all mental with Willy. Ater suffering such a devastating concussion only a few months ago, he is probably terrified to go through that again, especially after seeing what happened to his pal Andreas.

You know they're targeting him out there both verbally and physically, and after what he went through this year, I can't really blame him for letting that affect his game. Of course I don't want it to and don't like it, but with head injuries that serious, people start to think about their life and not so much their career.

These Albany scrubs are not worth a potential career ending injury and I wouldn't be surprised if his "illness" is the coaching staff and him admitting as much and protecting him.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad