Marlies GDT: Round 2, Game 5: Toronto @ Albany 7PM

Status
Not open for further replies.

MJ65

Jul 12, 2009
Toronto
I really do not want to see any of our prospects getting injured any more, and this Devils team is playing damn dirty. The league should take a notice and issue some kind of warning

These head shots should not be tolerated at any cost

StatsNightHeroes

Jan 15, 2016
The issue is all of the players with roster spots currently....the Inn looks full.

I'd be sad to see Leivo go. One of the few guys with size that we have and he can shoot the puck too. Seems like a great compliment for our forward core which is small and lacks anyone in the "sniper" type mold. If he can just get a little quicker I think he could be a good middle six guy. I'd be curious to see how he would do on a line with Kadri and Komarov because he has the size yo play a meaner and more irritating game than he does right now. And I'd rather see him shoot it from the top of the circles than watch Kadri float them in there.

Wafflewhipper

Jan 18, 2014
I really do not want to see any of our prospects getting injured any more, and this Devils team is playing damn dirty. The league should take a notice and issue some kind of warning

Well they do have to get out of Toronto next game right. Maybe they won't be so brave on the road ha.

stakesishigh

how swede it is
Jul 9, 2009
Toronto
I will forever cheer against the Devils after this series. Dirty and digusting team with no honor whatsoever. We're much more worried about the long term health of our players than actually beating that gutless squad.

tolwyn

Feb 4, 2015
And to think there are guys on the Devils' board saying the hit last game was a shoulder, how it wasn't even that bad, how soft hockey has gotten...

burpsalot

Feb 12, 2015
... tbh I think there is... He played well on his last call up...He has a great shot and can score...He works the boards better than most , if not all, of our prospects and is good below the goal line... His hockey IQ is fine...No reason he can't be a solid 3rd line player that can add some offence and be pushed up the lineup as Babcock likes to do.

I agree with you Northernguy, Leivo's still only 22. It would make more sense for him to play with the Leafs at the start of the season & send down a waiver exempt player. See what we have in Leivo, if he helps us we keep him, if he doesn't we trade him or risk him to waivers "after" we see what we have.

Babcock says we have to find more goals, Leivo from his short stint provided some of that (5 goals in 12 games). You don't let that short time stat go, he is a sniper & who knows how he'll fit in with some of our future elite play makers. Maybe he'll be the Leafs Dvorak??

I also like the feistyness he has shown against Albany, he hasn't taken any BS. That is something that has been lacking with the Leafs & I think Leafs management want to see more of that.

Bullseye

Jun 14, 2012
Niagara

The AHL just demonstrated that head shots are a suspendible offence. That's it. But no decisive action taken toward stopping it from happening in the first place.

Wafflewhipper

Jan 18, 2014
Timashov is available for the Marlies now. Just incase the Albany elbows try eliminating another Marlie, we got it covered.

klmdg

Feb 18, 2016
I wonder how many times the Albany players watch Youngblood before games.

Incetardis

Sep 17, 2013
Levio will be traded and not lost on waivers...he would get picked up.

I hope not... The kid can score. He's not as shiny and new as a bunch of the guys coming up but he's got a legit shot at being a decent NHLer. 3rd liner with 20 g potential, you don't just give up on those guys. Personally, I'd take him over Hyman. I know Hyman seem like a Babcock type of player so he might be more likely to make the team but I'd rather see Leivo get a long look before losing him to waivers or traded for a negligible return

Super Mega

Jun 29, 2013
shades of Domi's elbow v. Niedermayer's head. once that happened - series changed. same here imo.

yea, great example. To paraphrase Justin Williams on the caps exit "playoffs are about owning big moments, we didn't win enough of them". The response to that hit is one of those.

We have a ton of youth, I think we should expect a choppy series but a moment like this could right it to the expected ending (calder win)

Leafsman

I guess $11M doesn't buy you what it use to
May 22, 2008
I thought Nylander was showing signs of his old self last night. Had a few really good puck-possession shifts. When he gets going again - watch out!!

Thissiteisgarbage

Oct 14, 2014
I thought Nylander was showing signs of his old self last night. Had a few really good puck-possession shifts. When he gets going again - watch out!!

I had the exact opposite reaction - I thought he looked asleep all game. He had two absolutely brutal giveaways and didn't look too eager to mix it up with the Devils.

He is undeniably gifted, but has a little too much Kessel in his game for me at times.

Nithoniniel

Sep 7, 2012
Skövde, Sweden
I had the exact opposite reaction - I thought he looked asleep all game. He had two absolutely brutal giveaways and didn't look too eager to mix it up with the Devils.

He is undeniably gifted, but has a little too much Kessel in his game for me at times.

I agree in the general evaluation. The bolded wouldn't be on a list of worries for me even if I made it my life's work to list all Nylander's flaws, arguable flaws, possible flaws and imaginary flaws.

He's more Bäckström than Kessel to me. He's selective along the boards, rather than lethargic. He's cerebral, rather than uninterested.

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008
I agree in the general evaluation. The bolded wouldn't be on a list of worries for me even if I made it my life's work to list all Nylander's flaws, arguable flaws, possible flaws and imaginary flaws.

He's more Bäckström than Kessel to me. He's selective along the boards, rather than lethargic. He's cerebral, rather than uninterested.

Backstrom is exactly how I describe Nylander every time.

Wafflewhipper

Jan 18, 2014
Nylander was told by Babcock he needs to get his feet moving to be good. He listened. Not a big deal.

Jerkini

May 31, 2003
Visit site

I've seen bits and pieces of many games, and I thought he's looked uninterested each time. I'll give him the benefit of the doubt with his "illness", but he just doesn't' look hungry. He's not shooting, he's rarely skating. It's like he already thinks he's an NHLer and he can't be bothered to bring it in the AHL anymore. I hope this attitude does not persist into next year.

Morguee

Jan 22, 2010
I've seen bits and pieces of many games, and I thought he's looked uninterested each time. I'll give him the benefit of the doubt with his "illness", but he just doesn't' look hungry. He's not shooting, he's rarely skating. It's like he already thinks he's an NHLer and he can't be bothered to bring it in the AHL anymore. I hope this attitude does not persist into next year.

I tend to agree. Here I go onto Hallowed Ground. One of the reasons Nylander fell was because of his perceived lack of intensity(being uninterested) and taking games off. We might be witnessing a little of it right now. He may still be "ill" but I think he is still a teenager. After getting the taste in the NHL he may feel above this(pure conjecture on my part) or nose out of joint because of the new kid not yet in town but he has not played up to his standards. The playoffs should be when you rise above not sink below your standard.

With that being said I think he will turn out to be a great player but still may have a little growing up to do. That's what the AHL is for.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad