Marlies GDT: Round 2, Game 5: Toronto @ Albany 7PM

Status
Not open for further replies.

Budsfan

Sep 17, 2006

Marlies await AHL decision after 'sickening' hit to Andreas Johnson

http://www.torontosun.com/2016/05/1...-has-suspected-concussion-after-elbow-to-head

ALBANY, N.Y. - Being knocked cold was hardly a warm welcome to North America for Andreas Johnson.

In the Swedish winger’s second game since joining the Toronto Marlies for the AHL playoffs, Johnson took a deliberate elbow to the head from Albany Devils defenceman Dan Kelly on Tuesday and spent most of the night in hospital. He’s done for the North Division final series, tied 2-2 after Toronto triumphed 7-2 in a penalty-punctuated Game 4 at Times Union Center.

While the Marlies were hoping for a hefty suspension, the league hadn’t ruled as of late Wednesday. The team is grateful Johnson is not seriously injured, though a concussion is suspected.

“He was in pretty rough shape leaving here,†said Marlies coach Sheldon Keefe. “He didn’t remember anything and there was pretty good cause for concern when he went off to the hospital.

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008
If there isn't a long suspension for that hit, the AHL is an absolute joke

I'm expecting probably 10 games. Basically out for the rest of our series and potentially the next if they do beat us.

With that said, Dan Kelly is an AHL goon. I don't think Albany will miss him very much.

HarrisonFord

President of the Drew Doughty Fan Club
Jul 20, 2011
Toronto
I'm expecting probably 10 games. Basically out for the rest of our series and potentially the next if they do beat us.

With that said, Dan Kelly is an AHL goon. I don't think Albany will miss him very much.

No, but he deserves to sit on the bench and watch his team lose for that hit

Mansfield

possession obsession
Apr 4, 2011
Ontario, Canada
Looks like Kelly got ten games. Right call imo. It was a dirty hit for sure, but without prior offense anything more than that would have been overkill.

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008
I'm a god damn Oracle.

With that said, I'm surprised Johnson didn't get suspended himself, seeing as how it was apparently his fault he got elbowed in the face.

Budsfan

Sep 17, 2006
I'm a god damn Oracle.

With that said, I'm surprised Johnson didn't get suspended himself, seeing as how it was apparently his fault he got elbowed in the face.

LOL well you were right on the money with that suspension.

fahad203

Oct 3, 2009
I would like to see Collin Smith back to the roaster. He's been one of our best player down the stretch. No Gauthier please, we need more players who can hold on to the puck and make plays.

Frattin is not our property anymore makes no sense to give him any more experience. We need to build experience for our players

Canada4Gold

Dec 22, 2010
I would like to see Collin Smith back to the roaster. He's been one of our best player down the stretch. No Gauthier please, we need more players who can hold on to the puck and make plays.

Frattin is not our property anymore makes no sense to give him any more experience. We need to build experience for our players

Clune isn't our property anymore either after this year, no need for him to get experience. Give it to the prospects. Yet they're playing him.

If Frattin is our best option to help win, that's what we're going to do. All our prospects winning the Calder Cup is better experience than Colin Smith getting round 2 experience and us losing. So if they feel like Frattin is the best option he will play.

That being said I also think Colin Smith is the best option so he should play.

Swervin81

Leaf fan | YYZ -> SEA
Nov 10, 2011
Seattle, WA
Looks like Kelly got ten games. Right call imo. It was a dirty hit for sure, but without prior offense anything more than that would have been overkill.

Yep. I'd agree. 10 games is good. Guarantees he's out until the finals at the very least if we do get beat.

Anyways, I'd really love to win tonight and make them have to beat us twice at home.

SEER

Sep 21, 2015
Thanks for the GDT, Budsfan....!

Glad to see he got a suspension, but it isn't nearly enough, imo... :rant:

Let's have Clune talk with Albany at the start of the game and lay down the rules.. Both Carricks (and a few others) can also defend, when necessary.., so let's not see any more bullying by Albany tonight, Boys..! Use the body hard on the boards.. and double the points, from last game..!! :yo:

#ConquerCalder: Toronto Marlies 2016 Playoff Tribute/Pump - TML

GO MARLIES GO !!

SEER

Sep 21, 2015
Colin Smith
Center -- shoots R
Born Jun 20 1993 -- Edmonton, ALTA
22 yrs. ago
Height 5.10 -- Weight 178

RECENT STATS

2014-15 Lake Erie Monsters - AHL
53 Games... 12 Goals... 19 Assists... 31 Points... -7
------------------------------------------------------------------
2015-16 - San Antonio Rampage - AHL
54 Games... 13 Goals... 21 Assists... 34 Points... -4
-----------------------------------------------------------------
2015-16 Toronto Marlies - AHL
23 Games... 7 Goals... 15 Assists... 22 Points... +8
-----------------------------------------------------------------
2016 AHL PLAYOFFS
2 Games... 0 Goals... 2 Assists... 2 Points... +/- 0

Dark Horse Star: Colin Smith Extended 2012-16 Highlights - TML

Stringer Bell

Dec 16, 2009
Far from a Frattin fan these days, far from it...but if he could at least wake himself up a bit he would probably be a good fit for the playoffs. If he can tell himself to bang a bit like he used to, use that shot...again wishful thinking and he's not even our property anymore, but the Frattin of even the last couple years is capable of being a big difference maker in a physical AHL playoff series.

deletethis

Mar 17, 2015
Toronto
Far from a Frattin fan these days, far from it...but if he could at least wake himself up a bit he would probably be a good fit for the playoffs. If he can tell himself to bang a bit like he used to, use that shot...again wishful thinking and he's not even our property anymore, but the Frattin of even the last couple years is capable of being a big difference maker in a physical AHL playoff series.

He's an experienced physically mature pro. Having several players like that is that one advantage Albany carries into each game. Frattin could offset that a little and presumably not be a liability. I remember the 2012 playoffs. Frattin was the Marlies' best player until his knee got wrecked going for an empty net goal. The guy really hasn't been the same since.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad