Marlies GDT: Round 2, Game 4: Toronto @ Albany Devils 7PM

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nithoniniel

Sep 7, 2012
Skövde, Sweden
I disagree. He would've got a fair piece of him if he did everything to get his shoulder over towards Johnson instead of his elbow. Certainly enough to hinder the play

Possible. Would have been a glancing hit in that case.

The play was already dead. Johnson surrendered the puck to avoid the hit.

Gallagbi

Formerly Eazy_B97
Jul 5, 2005
Possible. Would have been a glancing hit in that case.

The play was already dead. Johnson surrendered the puck to avoid the hit.
Ding-ding-ding.

If contact was going to be made, it wasn't dangerous. Johnson is in position to avoid hard legal contact.

Babcocks Marner

It's a magical time
Mar 3, 2015
Toronto
Its just the law of physics.

If you're a smaller skilled player opponents are going to take liberties with you regardless to try and intimidate you particularly physically.

When you're 5-10 like Johnson and bent over your head is already closer to the ice and below the shoulder level of a 6-2 or bigger defender who likely has 20-30lbs on you.

Smaller skilled players have to play smarter not harder realizing they can't take and absorb pushing direct hits. They need to adapt their games and play accordingly within a big man's game. Avoiding high traffic areas and full on collisions a necessary requirement for self preservation.

If you watch Kane or Johnny Gaudreau they spin and pivot and play on the outside where its safer and don't go charging fearlessly into traffic and take direct hits. They can't play a straight line game taking pucks hard to the net and continue to take physical punishment like bigger physical players can. They adapt their games using speed and smarts and skill and not force.

I guess that Steven at 6"0 200lbs did the reverse when he killed Lindros, who is 6"4 230lbs? Dirty is dirty.... and it doesn't need a larger/smaller player for someone to lose a career.

I really have heard it all from you now........ :help:

SEER

Sep 21, 2015
No question 100% attempt to injury by Kelly and if he was suspended for all of next season I wouldn't blink an eye saying it wouldn't be just for what he did.

It was dangerous and those kinds of plays have no place in the game and those that cross the line should face significant penalties fines and suspensions. I'm in no way defending nor condoning Kelly's actions and believe the AHL should throw the book at him.

However Johnson was fair game to be hit, so that wasn't a problem and if Kelly had not used his elbow but simply hit him legally I would have believed there shouldn't even have been a penalty on the play as there wouldn't have been anything wrong with it within the rules.

Johnson was likely still going to get rocked the way that play unfolded, its just the legal verses dangerous and illegal outcome that is worth of debate and suspension term discussion. IMO

Like I said earlier. I see both sides of the debate.., but ultimately, Kelly deserves a big-time suspension..

Some good news.. :)

Last edited:

Jerkini

May 31, 2003
Visit site
Johnson was likely still going to get rocked the way that play unfolded, its just the legal verses dangerous and illegal outcome that is worth of debate and suspension term discussion. IMO

But what are the chances he skates away under his own power if it was clean? Pretty damn good i'd say.

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
I disagree. He would've got a fair piece of him if he did everything to get his shoulder over towards Johnson instead of his elbow. Certainly enough to hinder the play

We're on the same page.

Johnson was doing everything in his power to try and get out of the trolley tracks that he turned directly into. Johnson crossed the blue line and turned into the oncoming hit that was coming at him while he tried his best contortionist effort to avoid it last second.

He did get his head out of the path and Kelly extended his elbow out illegally to contact it thereafter. The rest of his body however might not have been so lucky to avoid a bone crushing hit simply by Kelly turning into it to finish his check.

So I saw this more as Johnson diving out of the way the last second as best he could and a collision likely unavoidable altogether unless Kelly gave him a free pass entirely and not finishing it like he originally intended.

Leafsman

I guess $11M doesn't buy you what it use to
May 22, 2008
We're on the same page.

Johnson was doing everything in his power to try and get out of the trolley tracks that he turned directly into. Johnson crossed the blue line and turned into the oncoming hit that was coming at him while he tried his best contortionist effort to avoid it last second.

He did get his head out of the path and Kelly extended his elbow out illegally to contact it thereafter. The rest of his body however might not have been so lucky to avoid a bone crushing hit simply by Kelly turning into it to finish his check.

So I saw this more as Johnson diving out of the way the last second as best he could and a collision likely unavoidable altogether unless Kelly gave him a free pass entirely and not finishing it like he originally intended.

You seem to have your own version of the events???

Watch the video http://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/ahl/gotta-see-marlies-andreas-johnson-laid-vicious-hit/

Dan Kelly doesn't just raise his elbow up, he also raises it back. Johnson would have skirted buy with next to no contact.

If a collision was unavoidable then Kelly wouldn't have needed to raise his elbow. The fact that he not only raised his elbow up but also back is concrete evidence that he had missed the hit and needed a last ditch effort to make contact.

SEER

Sep 21, 2015
Clearer and longer version of the hit..

Dan Kelly's Brutal Hit on Andreas Johnson - AHL Playoffs - May 10, 2016 (HD)

Willchel Marlynder

(philer bozel)
Jul 15, 2010
Windsor, ON
Mess what exactly are you trying to say here? I don't mean that in a malicious way I'm just trying to understand what you're trying to get across? Are you trying to say smaller players are more likely to receive? cheap headshots

Bullseye

Jun 14, 2012
Niagara
Thanks, mate.

I still hold that time when you said that you'd give Gardiner a second chance because of my arguments to be one of my best on HF. You're a personal hero for me since then :laugh:

Only thing I've heard is that his agent said that he's doing very well, considering the circumstances.

That could mean "He's only got a severe concussion so we are grateful, boy could have been killed!" for all we know.

Yup. I love to learn and I'm never to old to change my ways - thanks for the opportunity! Lol.

My personal journey is to not let my emotions overcome my small intellect - ongoing struggle.

Very glad to hear there's nothing structurally wrong at this point with AJ. The cognitive and occupational concerns will be other hurdles to cross off in the near future I hope.

I've calmed down a bit but surprised at how angry I was last night(and this morning). Grrrr. Hate that hit!

Nithoniniel

Sep 7, 2012
Skövde, Sweden
Yup. I love to learn and I'm never to old to change my ways - thanks for the opportunity! Lol.

My personal journey is to not let my emotions overcome my small intellect - ongoing struggle.

Very glad to hear there's nothing structurally wrong at this point with AJ. The cognitive and occupational concerns will be other hurdles to cross off in the near future I hope.

I've calmed down a bit but surprised at how angry I was last night(and this morning). Grrrr. Hate that hit!

"The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing." - Socrates

Second quote of the thread for me here, but thought of this immediately. You can't learn new things if you already think you know everything. I wish more people were like you.

And yeah, I couldn't even finish watching the game.

Daisy Jane

everything is gonna be okay!
Jul 2, 2009
"The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing." - Socrates

Second quote of the thread for me here, but thought of this immediately. You can't learn new things if you already think you know everything. I wish more people were like you.

And yeah, I couldn't even finish watching the game.

except me. because I know all, and see all. :laugh: just kidding.

Northern Dancer

The future ain't what it used to be.
Mar 2, 2002
5 K from the ACC
Conner Carrick looking right at the play unfolding actually gave Johnson a suicide pass at the blueline, because Andreas was looking back and down to receive it and then when he turned and got his head back around the collision happened only a split second later.

Carrick in hindsight should have dumped it in along the boards and let Johnson chase after it, as opposed to giving him the puck with possession now in the path of a hard charging defender looking for a big hit on the play.

That would have been the safer and smarter play for everyone involved.

LOL now its Carricks fault. Mess just give it up you are so WRONG here.

burpsalot

Feb 12, 2015
The surprising part is that Dan Kelly himself was just injured a couple months back when a Binghamton player kneed him and was suspended for it while Kelly was sidelined with injury.

You have to wonder what part of that previous recent history (If any) played a part in this incident in Kelly's mind who was just a recent victim himself of a dirty suspendable hit?.

Buddy Robinson is much bigger than Kelly.

Stringer Bell

Dec 16, 2009
What does Kelly mean to the Devils defence? Like does him being suspended remove an important part of their defence or is he one of their worst players?

horner

May 22, 2007
It's not 100% foolproof. Concussions will always happen. Heck, someone in the NHL will get concussed next year. I'm almost sure of that.

Like I said, it's minimizing the chances of stuff like this happening to our own team. Lucic prevented a lot of cheap shots going Boston's way while he was there.

I agree.

Lucic hits to hurt people.

You go after our top players we will target yours.

diceman934

Help is on the way.
Jul 31, 2010
NHL player factory
We're on the same page.

My god ......he was hit by an elbow that has no place in hockey coming from the blind slide. Kelly should get a very big suspension as it was bad on many levels. That should be the end of the discussion.

diceman934

Help is on the way.
Jul 31, 2010
NHL player factory
LOL now its Carricks fault. Mess just give it up you are so WRONG here.

That was not a suicide pass as it hit tape of an extended stick.....there was no way that Carrick could have guessed that a player would come from the other side of the play to blind side the player.

What makes the hit bad was not only was the head targeted but it came from the blind side with an intent to injury!

Daisy Jane

everything is gonna be okay!
Jul 2, 2009
That was not a suicide pass as it hit tape of an extended stick.....there was no way that Carrick could have guessed that a player would come from the other side of the play to blind side the player.

What makes the hit bad was not only was the head targeted but it came from the blind side with an intent to injury!

well it's Carrick and Johnson's fault for being small. they both should know better.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad