Series Discussion: Round 2 (Caps vs Penguins) 2016 Playoffs (Pens fans, read note in OP) - Part II

twabby

Mar 9, 2010
The series isn't over yet. Maybe save some of the doom and gloom for the offseason.

The current discussion should be about how they can win Game 5. I'd start with benching Mike Weber. It's not just his huge mistake in OT, he is just bad. He can't handle the puck which is needed in a series like this. Has Schmidt been bad? Sure, but he's more likely to turn it around and play well than Weber.

Offensively I really think they need to flip Kuznetsov and Backstrom. I know the top line is clicking, but the second line needs help and maybe Backstrom can provide it. Ovechkin and Oshie have been good enough that I can't see Kuznetsov hindering their performance at all.

SpinningEdge

Feb 12, 2015
Fairfax, VA
It's not trotzs fault he has to pick out of Schmidt, Chorney, Weber, and Orlov as half of his defense each night. That's on GMBM being terrible with the D.

You have a young franchise goalie..... Put some real D in front of him, please.

Langway

In den Wolken
Jul 7, 2006
It's not trotzs fault he has to pick out of Schmidt, Chorney, Weber, and Orlov as half of his defense each night. That's on GMBM being terrible with the D.

You don't think Trotz was involved with the acquisition of Weber? Winnik? Richards? (Hard to think an organization could possibly add three veteran players with less offensive ability than those three.)

Ovie's Neighbor

Jan 23, 2007

Are those players really any worse than Poulloit, Schultz, Cole?

EroCaps

Aug 24, 2003
Virginia
They aren't going anywhere with Kuznetsov, Bura, and Williams being useless. You don't win a Cup with the many contributors being MIA.

Game. Set. Match.

Capsman

Nov 21, 2008
So...Genie then. Cool.

I'm not a GM and I don't know all the qualified candidates out there. I suppose you get someone with experience who has a history of adjusting a system to his talent (i.e. has won in different ways). Trotz is a one-system guy. May work for some teams or some players, but clearly does not extract the best out of his team in crunch time.

OviTaughtMe

Jun 17, 2013
PG County
They aren't going anywhere with Kuznetsov, Bura, and Williams being useless. You don't win a Cup with the many contributors being MIA.

Game. Set. Match.

Can anyone explain/have a theory why our second line never does jack **** in the playoffs? Is it the system?

Everyone outside of the top line becomes grinders in May.

Turd Ferguson

Its a funny name
Apr 21, 2015
Canada
Part that has me pissed off the most was the fact that Weber just handed them that goal on a silver platter... The game we out worked them we lost because of BS luck and the game we should of stole we lost because of giving them a freebie.

msrulo

Feb 3, 2013
Toronto, ON
We're losing this series 3-1 but it's not over. My prediction was game 7 win. The hockey gods have given me a vision.

Dobe*

I'm not a GM and I don't know all the qualified candidates out there. I suppose you get someone with experience who has a history of adjusting a system to his talent (i.e. has won in different ways). Trotz is a one-system guy. May work for some teams or some players, but clearly does not extract the best out of his team in crunch time.

So totally unlike the coach that's beating Trotz's ass right now

troyerlaw

Life is party again
Dec 13, 2010
Los Angeles
They'll win the next 2 and then lose Game 7 at home in OT.

Because that's what they do. :laugh::laugh::laugh:

Fixed it for you.

Not much reason to feel hopeful at this point. Just try to be a tough out, and at least make the Pens travel back to Pitt for Game 6. Maybe the worm starts to turn, and we get the next bounce in OT.

Oshie and Carlson have been bright spots this postseason.

Alzner & Niskanen have been steady, as usual, Beags too. Ovie and Holts have been good, not spectacular.

After that, well, there's a LOT of no-shows.

Also, our PP done gone cold.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad